• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Dell XPS 13

Status
Not open for further replies.

reKon

Banned
Damn...

Dell isn't playing around.

Dell-XPS-13-CES-2015_6.jpg

Most ultrabooks I see are overpriced, offer undesired specs, and typically lose hands down to the MBA in the overall package you're getting for your money.

Dell this time around is saying not so fast.

They've created a stunner.

$999 gets you :

- Broadwell based Intel Core i5 Processor
- Intel HD Graphics 5500
- 128GB Solid State Drive (upgradable to 256GB)
- 13.3 inch FHD (1920 x 1080) infinity (aka no bezels for you!) display
- 8GB DDR3 RAM
- 802.11ac WiFi w/ Dual Band 2.4&5 GHz.
- Dell rated 15 Hours of battery life
- Full Backlit keyboard
- Aluminium/Carbon Fiber build

This line of XPS laptops start at $799

There's another version of this with laptop with a high resolution touchscreen, which companies like Lenovo think that everyone gives a fuck about when most people would take a significantly higher battery life.

I like what they're doing with this and I know there will be products from other competitors, but this easily the best MBA competitor I've seen in terms of pricing and the specs that people would like. This also has me interested in how the MBA refresh will be.

Discuss.

shira

Damn...

Dell isn't playing around.

Most ultrabooks I see are overpriced, offer undesired specs, and typically lose hands down to the MBA in the overall package you're getting for your money.

Dell this time around is saying not so fast.

They're created a stunner.

$999 gets you :

- Broadwell based Intel Core i5 Processor
- 128GB Solid State Drive
- 13.3 inch FHD (1920 x 1080) infinity (aka no bezels for you!) display
- 8GB DDR3 RAM
- 802.11ac WiFi w/ Dual Band 2.4&5 GHz.
- Dell rated 15 Hours of battery life
- Full Backlit keyboard
- Aluminium/Carbon Fiber build

The new XPS 13 starts at $799

There's another version of this with laptop with a high resolution touchscreen, which companies like Lenovo think that everyone gives a fuck about when most people would take the a significantly higher battery life.

I like what they're doing with this and I know there will be products from other competitors, but this easily the best MBA competitor I've seen in terms of pricing and the specs that people would like. This also has me interested in how the MBA refresh will be.

Discuss.

Looks good, but kiddies gonna get the MBA

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
You can get a similar Macbook Air for the same price. But somehow Macbooks are overpriced.

I love my MacBook air but no. The screen is not 1080P nor do you get 8 gigs of RAM

f0lken

You can get a similar Macbook Air for the same price. But somehow Macbooks are overpriced.

With 1080p and 8GB of RAM?

I hope more and more manufacturers start reducing the bezel on their laptops, this looks beautiful, but as some people had said here, I've had terrible experiences with Dells in the past.

reKon

Banned
Dell rating 15 hours of battery life? Somehow I know that's bs

It's almost always BS for any manufacturer. Broadwell is suppose to be very efficient though. I think 10 - 13 hour use definitely won't be out of the question, which is still going to be great.

Somnid

I can't shop Dell after they charged my finacee return shipping and restocking on a defective computer. Grudges like that die hard.

Jeff-DSA

My Dell XPS laptop has been the best laptop I've ever owned, which includes HP, Apple, Sony, Toshiba, and Asus. Seriously, it's the best. This new one looks fantastic.

reKon

Banned

Damn talk about skimming through a thread/persecution complex..

Who says that Macbook Air's are overpriced? If anything, that's the best priced Apple product for what you get compared to the competition.

Chris R

A better cpu/gpu would be so nice :(

Also, more customization at each level would be good as well.

I might consider the $999 model though to replace my MBA.

shira

looks fabulous. if I didn't just get a surface 3, i'd be keeping my eye on this.

Me too, but I have a feeling that come the new school year Apple will have the advantage again.

Thinner MBA's with more RAM and screensize pixel density.

It's nice to get these fresh off of CES, but the people I know usually only buy laptops in that September-Black Friday time period. If these become a competitior Apple can always undercut them or price competitively.

Another thumbs-up here to the current Dell XPS laptop line. It's quality stuff. I think a touchscreen is really needed for Windows 8 to make sense, though.

Anyone think this would be good for on the road video editing? Looking for a quasi-portable machine that can edit 1080p material.

Ready to pull the trigger on the 128gb SSD, 8gb RAM, i5 QHD+ 3200x1800 resolution..
But the lack of reviews is stoping me..
Was gonna wait for the new rMBP, but the screen of the xps is amazing.

The Microsoft Store has this for $899 and on display.

I went to see it in person while I was at work the other day. have to say, it's a beautiful laptop. The trackpad is every bit as good as the Macbook Pro/Air line and the keyboard is leagues better than any other ultrabook I've tried that's not a Thinkpad. I would say it's the best valued ultrabook out right now.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Really attractive option for me going forward. Seems like it's a knockout in terms of value. I'd opt for the 256 though.

shira

Ready to pull the trigger on the 128gb SSD, 8gb RAM, i5 QHD+ 3200x1800 resolution..
But the lack of reviews is stoping me..
Was gonna wait for the new rMBP, but the screen of the xps is amazing.

the ding on the XPS 2014 was that it got hot.

If you are doing anything intensive on this my guess is you are going to be hearing a lot of noisy fans and hot underbelly

n0razi

the cpu on the macbooks are great but all the other specs are mediocre, especially on the air line, they use low-res TN displays lol

i dont see how anyone can think a premium laptop in 2015 can have a 720p TN display.. freaking $99 windows tablets have better displays

NotBacon

I feel like 128gb SSD is still behind. Isn't there a $799 version of this XPS? If there is, i'd imagine it would have nearly the same specs (besides the cpu 2 gens newer) as my Zenbook that I got for the same price 3 years ago. Wtf?

Stopped reading at:

Nope!

Oh you're right, where's the 10lb version that is 6 inches thick with dual discrete graphics cards and massive ventilation system?!

Leave heavy gaming to the desktop. Intel 5500 is MORE than enough for casual gaming and heavy video tasks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom