• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Dell XPS 13

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can get a similar Macbook Air for the same price. But somehow Macbooks are overpriced.

Not close to the same specs or components.

Plus for the longest time the MBA was even more of a rip off than anything else, started at $1k for the 11" entry level model. Only when PC competitors started mopping the floor with it at a slightly lower price point did Apple slash prices to stay competitive.

Yeah, I'm incredibly impressed by this machine. Its time to upgrade from my 2011 MBA.. Apparently, there will be a redesigned version of that out this year, but I doubt it will offer anything that the XPS 13 won't.

My concerns are the meager BTO options and or buying from Dell with the pre-loaded bloatware. Yes, I'm savvy enough to get rid of that bloatware, but I don't feel like I want to. If I do get it, it would most likely be through MS with their Signature Edition version.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Tried this out in the Microsoft Store nearby and it was very impressive. Every screen should be an Infinity screen.

I don't remember exactly, but is the surface of the area around the keyboard rubbery? Not sure how I feel about that, but that might just be because most of the laptops I've used had smooth surfaces.

FUCK

Just bought a laptop like a week ago, would possibly have waited to buy an XPS for the gaming capabilities if I'd bothered to just check the prices

fake edit: or not. Seems to cost even more in £ than it does in $

Doesn't seem to be available anywhere but the Dell store as well

kharma45

FUCK

Just bought a laptop like a week ago, would possibly have waited to buy an XPS for the gaming capabilities if I'd bothered to just check the prices

fake edit: or not. Seems to cost even more in £ than it does in $

Doesn't seem to be available anywhere but the Dell store as well

This isn't really a gaming machine.

Dell only sell direct iirc now in the UK.

This isn't really a gaming machine.

Dell only sell direct iirc now in the UK.

I blame Dell and Apple for showing benchmarks of Half Life 2, a 10 year old game. Ultrabooks/Air's are not gaming machines, I don't care what benchmark they show. They aren't meant to be.

Ah, I thought the XPS line was always Dell's gaming line. Or was that just for desktops in like 2003?
You are right about the gaming desktop part, before they bought Alienware. As far as gaming laptops, I don't believe they've ever really made those.

Dell rated 15 hours battery?? I want that tested. A lot of companies claim long life batteries but fail to deliver. Otherwise, seems decent. Around the same price range as a mac pro retina. So not really cheap, but I have a feeling it will look economical. Any more pics?

I saw it in person today. Nice, but not as nice as it looked in the pictures. I was afraid that seeing it in person would cause me to make an impulsive purchase, but it actually had the opposite effect. The screen was very nice, but the rest didn't feel as high quality as a macbook air or macbook pro. The aluminium and the surface near the keyboard/trackpad felt cheaper than Macbook Air's/Pro's. I'm not an apple fanboy either. I wanted to be seduced by the XPS 13. For that kind of money, I think I'm going to wait to see what Apple's redesigned Macbook Air is.

I wish the one at the Microsoft Store had 8GB of RAM instead of 4GB.

4GB is totally unacceptable to me these days, especially when it's soldered on with no chance of upgrading. I had like 1 IE tab open and 2/4GB of RAM was already used up on the XPS 13.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I saw it in person today. Nice, but not as nice as it looked in the pictures. I was afraid that seeing it in person would cause me to make an impulsive purchase, but it actually had the opposite effect. The screen was very nice, but the rest didn't feel as high quality as a macbook air or macbook pro. The aluminium and the surface near the keyboard/trackpad felt cheaper than Macbook Air's/Pro's. I'm not an apple fanboy either. I wanted to be seduced by the XPS 13. For that kind of money, I think I'm going to wait to see what Apple's redesigned Macbook Air is.

4GB is totally unacceptable to me these days, especially when it's soldered on with no chance of upgrading. I had like 1 IE tab open and 2/4GB of RAM was already used up on the XPS 13.

Yeah it's ridiculous and I'm just waiting for the Macbook Air Retina to come with 4GB.

harSon

Banned

Where'd you see it at? I've been looking for somewhere to see it in person, before I make my decision.

CrankyJay

Banned

Meh, fucking Dell...this is what I was afraid of.

fushi

I was all hyped up for this until I saw that there were no 16GB RAM models. Dealbreaker for me, sadly.

NZOO

Banned
PLEASE don't buy Dell laptops!

Their faulty GPU manufacturing will crap out on you. You will have to try heat guns etc to fix their faulty crap after 2 years. $1200 down the drain and I learned.

Schrade

Their faulty GPU manufacturing will crap out on you. You will have to try heat guns etc to fix their faulty crap after 2 years. $1200 down the drain and I learned.

Dell doesn't manufacture GPUs.

Besides, the GPU is built into the Intel CPU.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

If this was the Nvidia issue, then that was Nvidia's fault and was an issue for pretty much every laptop manufacturer.

NZOO

Banned
If this was the Nvidia issue, then that was Nvidia's fault and affected pretty much every laptop manufacturer.

It was but they don't acknowledge the defect. You can see youtube with so many people trying to fix Dell issues. 2 years lifespan, not worth it.

Exact same reaction. Expected to fall in love with it, but it just doesn't feel as sleek or high quality as a Macbook Pro. Not even close IMO.

shuri

Banned
all I want is a stylish laptop that can play modern games without feeling like I'm hanging out next to a nuclear metldown. Sure I can play all the new games, but .. My MSI laptop is a fucking nightmare because of that. DAT HEATTTTT

Syckx

I picked one up from the Microsoft Store after playing with it. A few things are kinda off with it, but it's a matter of getting used to it (this is my first ultrabook). Overall, I really like the device. It was between this and Surface Pro 3, but I just had to be real with myself that I value an inflexible keyboard and a hinge more than the tablet/laptop hybrid.

It's fast, quiet, and stays relatively cool even while running some games and media heavy sites. It looks great, and I love the fact that it doesn't have a "brick" charger. Makes it super easy to travel with.

I'm going to be returning the one I'm using right now to pick up an 8GB/256GB model from the Dell site. The memory usage has already spiked to 70% running certain tasks, so I know this will be an issue in the future. May as well double the hard drive while I'm at it.

Hesemonni

Banned
My hands get cramped by even looking at that keyboard and imagining actually spending time with it...

I love the design of the laptop, but after getting accustomed to Lenovo style trackpoint there's no going back for me to a regular keyboard and trackpad combo.

Azulsky

all I want is a stylish laptop that can play modern games without feeling like I'm hanging out next to a nuclear metldown. Sure I can play all the new games, but .. My MSI laptop is a fucking nightmare because of that. DAT HEATTTTT

Get an Ultrabook that can dock an external GPU.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I picked one up from the Microsoft Store after playing with it. A few things are kinda off with it, but it's a matter of getting used to it (this is my first ultrabook). Overall, I really like the device. It was between this and Surface Pro 3, but I just had to be real with myself that I value an inflexible keyboard and a hinge more than the tablet/laptop hybrid.

It's fast, quiet, and stays relatively cool even while running some games and media heavy sites. It looks great, and I love the fact that it doesn't have a "brick" charger. Makes it super easy to travel with.

I'm going to be returning the one I'm using right now to pick up an 8GB/256GB model from the Dell site. The memory usage has already spiked to 70% running certain tasks, so I know this will be an issue in the future. May as well double the hard drive while I'm at it.

Could you give us any feedback on the battery? Is it about 7 hours?

Syckx

Could you give us any feedback on the battery? Is it about 7 hours?

I use it at half brightness, and I have been using it primarily for remote desktop and web browsing. I would say 8-9 hours for my usage, with the 9hr mark being extremely generous. Now, the battery may need to calibrate, and I do use a Bluetooth mouse, but 15 hours is bullshit. I can't think of where those extra 6 hours are supposed to come from.

Heysoos

Lenovo Y50?

I use it at half brightness, and I have been using it primarily for remote desktop and web browsing. I would say 8-9 hours for my usage, with the 9hr mark being extremely generous. Now, the battery may need to calibrate, and I do use a Bluetooth mouse, but 15 hours is bullshit. I can't think of where those extra 6 hours are supposed to come from.
From tryingnto find a new laptop in the past two months, I have noticed that a lot of manufacturers outright lie about the battery life. My two years old lenovo was advertised to have a 5 hour battery life. It lasted three hours tops when I first bought it. An hour and a half now. From reviews, it seems only samsung and apple give u actual battery life. Correct me if im wrong.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I saw it at the Microsoft Store, if you have one near where you live.

I wonder if they have them at those little kiosks. I think they have laptops there... I don't know. We have one in my mall.

The $100 off coupon ends on Friday, and I'm getting anxious.

Yeah I have no idea how these companies get away with outright lying about battery life. I mean... the real battery life is a little more than half of what is advertised. Jesus.

Thanks for the info!

madmook

I have the 1080p non-touch version. Battery life is nowhere near 15 hours, serves me right for hoping. I'd say average or light workload and web browsing will get 8-10 hours. I've not yet sat down a whole day just to see how long I can get from one charge, but from extrapolating (and reviews out there will back me up), 8-10 hours is realistic.

I have decided to keep the thing because of the pros, but I want to let potential buyers know about my two main gripes:
1) The touchpad uses Windows 8.1's built-in "precision touchpad" drivers, there is no extra touchpad software included (like Synaptics or whatnot). Anyways, there is a weird delay/lag when making small movements. Jab your finger on the touchpad and make a big or quick movement and you won't feel any delay. But put your finger on and try to make a small precise movement and suddenly there's a delay in response. At least until your finger moves a few millimeters, then it sort of "wakes" up and moves. It's a very weird quirk that I think is tied to Windows 8.1's precision touchpad functionality (because there is no such touchpad delay in the BIOS), and that I can sort of get accustomed to, but I'd be happier if it gets fixed in the future. I have not used any other laptops that use Windows 8.1's precision touchpad, so I don't know if this affects other models/brands. I'd love for someone to chime in here to answer that.

2) The screen has an auto-adjusting contrast feature for which at the moment there's no way to turn off. Meaning, open up a website with mostly white on the screen and one with dark, and switch between them to see the brightness fluctuate. The jump isn't immediate, it's a gradual ramping up and down, and most other laptop owners know it to be a power saving technique that the gpu does. Intel calls it "Display Power Saving Technology" and it can be disabled in the graphics control panel options. Except the option is not there in the XPS 13, either in the Dell provided v3960 drivers or in the latest Intel release v4080. I have another laptop with a Haswell gpu using those same drivers and the option is there, so this situation is either specific to the XPS13 or the HD 5500. Googling told me that some Dell lappys have their own setting for this behavior, controlled by something called Dell Intelligent Display, part of something called Dell Extended Battery Life Options, but this software is not installed. Some users from NotebookReview forums have stated that their 1080p screens bought from a Microsoft store do not exhibit this behavior, but that their max brightness is kinda low at 190 nits. I bought mine direct from Dell, and I think my max brightness more closely matches that measured in reviews, about 300-ish nits.

Also the matte coating on the 1080p screen is just heavy enough to give a hint of the "dirty white" effect. I've seen worse, but semi-matte or light anti-glare this is not. Otherwise contrast and color saturation are great to my casual eyes.

Speakers produce surprisingly loud and clear sound, after tweaking the EQ.

I configured mine with 256GB SSD, it is the Samsung PM851 (M.2 2280). Apparently some people are getting a LiteOn one with faster speeds than the Samsung.

Just some quick casual impressions.

btrboyev

Don't spew crap like this. Every manufacture create duds that have hardware flaws and failures. It sucks when it happens, but it can happen to anyone with any hardware.

Anyone have impressions of the 3K model with touch? After using a Surface Pro 2 for a while now I wouldn't want to be without touch on a laptop.

Radec

Don't spew crap like this. Every manufacture create duds that have hardware flaws and failures. It sucks when it happens, but it can happen to anyone with any hardware.

Yep.

Even my Dad's MBP's GPU failed after a year. Good thing it is still under extended apple care.

My toshiba laptop with 8600GT iirc didn't survive after 2 years. Out of warranty. :/

If I ever buy another laptop, I'll get a 2-year extended warranty as well.

I don't understand, is the touchscreen the reason behind buying a laptop with pretty bland specs?

Edit: I mean justification of a thousand bucks price tag.

I don't understand, is the touchscreen the reason behind buying a laptop with pretty bland specs?

Edit: I mean justification of a thousand bucks price tag.
Thin, light, extremely portable. Same reason you'd get an ultrabook in general. Screen is quite high resolution as well.

It's 1,170 with the student discount(for the touchscreen QHD+). Tempting, but the Surface Pro line is wonderful.

madmook

I have decided to return mine for the reasons stated in my post above.

Mainly because of the touchpad and screen's dynamic contrasting issues. I did not get a defective unit, I'm pretty sure all XPS13's exhibit those issues.

The battery life I could maybe let slide because I guess Windows machines battery life claims have always been over-exaggerated, but the touchpad and screen issues significantly compromise the user experience and I wanna slap the shit out of the designers/engineers who thought those issues were acceptable.

Just bit the bullet on a XPS 13 i3 4GB. I'll really only use it for school mainly. I went through the Dell website and you can pick up a Venue 7 tablet for free as well with any computer purchase over 499.

maeh2k

Some new reviews! Turns out the XPS 13 is somewhere between great and shit.

notebookcheck.com

Touchpad:
The touchpad also functions well. We found it to be precise and easy to operate; despite the machine’s uniquely small footprint, it still is more than sufficiently large. The matte surface finish is smooth and encourages effortless finger gliding, whereas the integrated buttons, however controversial they remain, gave us no trouble throughout our testing. Multitouch gestures and scrolling were also handled well.

Battery life:
The most realistic of the tests, however, is the WiFi Surfing test, where we activate Power Saver, set brightness to as close to 150 cd/m² as possible (40% in this case), and simulate web surfing across a variety of sites. The result here was an excellent 9 hours and 40 minutes—nearly two hours longer than the previous XPS 13 (7:45) and over an hour longer than both the MacBook Air 13 (8:35) and Microsoft Surface Pro 3 (8:24).
It’s also worth mentioning that, although our results didn’t measure up to Dell’s estimates, they predict a runtime of nearly 28% better on the lower-resolution 1080p non-touch panel.

This might just be the most complete ultraportable package we’ve seen to date

+ Good input devices
+ Excellent battery life

theverge.com

Touchpad:
Unfortunately, I can’t say the same for the XPS 13’s trackpad, which probably won’t surprise anyone. It’s a large, clickable Microsoft Precision trackpad, with a soft finish over glass. But like virtually every other trackpad on Windows laptops, it’s fraught with poor software and drivers. Two-finger scrolling is very unpredictable: sometimes it will work just fine, other times it won't respond, no matter what I do. The cursor will also jump across the screen at random times while I’m typing, and it’s far too easy to activate clicks while my fingers are on the keys.

Battery life:
In our battery rundown test, different from Dell's, the touchscreen model lasted for 6 hours and 40 minutes before giving up the ghost. But more problematic was my everyday experience, where the same touchscreen unit would always need to be charged halfway through my work day. In the weeks I used the XPS 13, never did it exceed six hours without needing to be plugged in. When other computers are easily lasting 11 to 13 hours before needing a charge, the XPS 13’s performance is downright disappointing.

As for the XPS 13 itself, its battery life issues and poor trackpad make it tough to recommend over other options, even with its ultra efficient design. Too many other computers do so much better in those respects that I can’t ignore them on the Dell.

- Clumsy trackpad
- Poor battery life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom