• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Citizens of Earth |OT| - Let's see... Plus the 7 ... Carry the 2 ... Carry the 1 ...

RM8

It's not in 3D!? :( Maaaan, my hype is a bit hurt. I still want it on 3DS since it's my most played system, I guess. What a shame.

JP

Picked up the PS4 version and it's by far the most frustrating thing I've downloaded over this and last generation as it crashes ever 10 to 15 minutes. As there doesn't seem to be complaints about it all over the place and because it's fairly small I'm deleting and the game and saves and starting from scratch.

Has nobody else here had problems like this?

Picked up the PS4 version and it's by far the most frustrating thing I've downloaded over this and last generation as it crashes ever 10 to 15 minutes. As there doesn't seem to be complaints about it all over the place and because it's fairly small I'm deleting and the game and saves and starting from scratch.

I've heard that the Vita, Wii U and PS4 version have all had issues with crashing. Hopefully it gets fixed up soon.

adroit

I've heard that the Vita, Wii U and PS4 version have all had issues with crashing. Hopefully it gets fixed up soon.

People have reported bugs in the 3DS version as well. I was planning to buy the game but I've put my plans on hold until an update is released and people have verified the problems have been fixed.

Ondore

I've had two hard locks on Wii U from loading up in the VR arena to try and catch up characters. Between that and the fact that every version seems to have a few reports of crashing... I know they wanted to hit Inauguration Day, but this could've used a few months more in the hopper.

Going to put it up for a few months and keep an ear out for the patch on Wii U/3DS. If the Vita version gets fixed, it'll be in Atlus's sale rotation by that point so I'll give it another shot.

JP

I re-downloaded it but it seems there's little point if it's just a broken game. Thinking about getting a refund as it appears too not be fit for sale as it is.

JCX

I've really fallen for this game. I like the old school difficulty jumps, the quirky cast, and silly enemy designs. My only remaining complaints (Vita version) are:

- Meh battle music. Feels too slow for a battle theme, especially with how frequent battles are

- Long loading screens just for going in houses. It's about as bad ad the FF6 PSX port.

- Slightly unintuitive menu.

But for a $12 downloadable game, it's more than worth the price. If you're not a handheld person, I'd recommend going for the PS4 or Steam version.

Makonero

I had my first hard lock last night on Wii U... it sucks. I'm really liking this game.

The humor is charming (two Earthbound references so far!) and I like the updates to the battle system, like being able to restart any battle with a new team at any time. The battle system is pretty standard but I've been really enjoying the throwback design. The graphics are sharp and clear and each recruitable character (which is basically every other character) has been really distinct. I don't think there are too many enemies; I don't often want to explore as much as I normally do sometimes, but otherwise I find it perfectly acceptable and it forces me to actually level up my newly recruited characters. I look forward to more time with it, but I hope the bugginess gets patched out soon.

antibolo

Banned
Just played the PS4 demo a bit.

I kinda like it but I'm not sure...? Does the game get challenging at some point? Because if it doesn't, I feel like I would get bored pretty fast.

I was surprised to see this for sale when I checked the PS4 store to get that $6 Shadow Warrior. I didn't realize it had come out.

Went ahead and bought it on the Wii U since I don't have PS+ and wanted to save 3 bucks. I'm not really sure what to expect except that you play as the vice-president of Earth. Apparently it's an Earthbound-esque RPG? Eh... didn't really care for Earthbound's gameplay, so hopefully this game is funny enough to make up for it.

Whatever the case, even if I don't like the game, I enjoy supporting indie devs.

Choomp

Banned
I like this game quite a bit so far, just overall soundtrack isn't as good as I'd like it to be, and some of the battle quirks like the backgrounds from EarthBound and music don't quite flow as well as it did in EarthBound. Still reccomend this game though, trying to get people on your party could get boring, but I like that system as a whole. The main reason I like this game is because of the charm, color, and humor there'd be in a game like EarthBound, but I would still reccomend buying.

I've really fallen for this game. I like the old school difficulty jumps, the quirky cast, and silly enemy designs. My only remaining complaints (Vita version) are:

- Meh battle music. Feels too slow for a battle theme, especially with how frequent battles are

- Long loading screens just for going in houses. It's about as bad ad the FF6 PSX port.

- Slightly unintuitive menu.

But for a $12 downloadable game, it's more than worth the price. If you're not a handheld person, I'd recommend going for the PS4 or Steam version.

Old school difficulty jumps? How hard is it?

balohna

I'm glad there was a demo for this game. The art, writing, voice acting and what I've experienced of the gameplay so far are not my cup of tea. Gonna pass on this. I'm a huge Earthbound fan too.

antibolo

Banned
I'm glad there was a demo for this game. The art, writing, voice acting and what I've experienced of the gameplay so far are not my cup of tea. Gonna pass on this. I'm a huge Earthbound fan too.

The writing is pretty bad, yes. For a game that's supposed to take heavy inspiration from Earthbound which was written by famous Japanese writer Shigesato Itoi, this is particularly disheartening.

All in all this game feels like it's made by people who really like Earthbound, but don't really understand what makes it so great.

JCX

Old school difficulty jumps? How hard is it?

The game is divided into chapters, so there is a noticeable jump in enemy difficulty between the chapters. It's more that enemies take longer to beat at first than the enemies actually being super hard.

terrisus

Honestly kind of surprised there's a demo, since the beginning's a bit slow, and not the best seller of the game.
Once you get going though, it's spectacular!

The game is divided into chapters, so there is a noticeable jump in enemy difficulty between the chapters. It's more that enemies take longer to beat at first than the enemies actually being super hard.

Ah, okay. Thanks for answering.

I'm not great at RPGs of this ilk, and didn't play a lot of them as a kid. Think it'll get too hard for me?

JCX

Ah, okay. Thanks for answering.

I'm not great at RPGs of this ilk, and didn't play a lot of them as a kid. Think it'll get too hard for me?

Don't think so. For something that could be a bit grindy,
It's a very forgiving game. For instance

-if you are losing in a battle, there is an option to start over and rearrange your party at any time.

-auto saves between rooms and can manually save anywhere.

- Leveling up during battle restores characters' health to full

- If you leveled up during a battle but die during it, you start over at the higher level.

Overall, a lot of things in place to make it pretty smooth. The encounter rate is a bit high though.

Don't think so. For something that could be a bit grindy,
It's a very forgiving game. For instance

-if you are losing in a battle, there is an option to start over and rearrange your party at any time.

-auto saves between rooms and can manually save anywhere.

- Leveling up during battle restores characters' health to full

- If you leveled up during a battle but die during it, you start over at the higher level.

Overall, a lot of things in place to make it pretty smooth. The encounter rate is a bit high though.

Okay. That sounds pretty awesome, actually. I hate it when you don't return to full health after leveling up in a game.

Thanks again

Enjoyed an hour of it, besides loading times, there's something off about the visuals in this game. Like the texts have these weird shadows and the character arts seem low res. Such a shame cause the art style hasn't really helped much but thankfully, the RPG aspect is great so far.

Edit: Should've mentioned, I was playing it on my vita.

Cherubae

I'm enjoying the game a lot. It's light hearted, a little cheesy, and seems that it'll take me a while to get through it. I'm on Chapter 2 at 7 hours so far, but I've been spending a lot of time enjoying my time wandering around and exploring the other areas. I have had a few party wipes when I bumped into something I wasn't expecting, but you just end up back in bed to start back up again.

I haven't been given the option to restart a battle with a different party options, so perhaps that is one of the talents that a recruited person has?

I've only had one lock-up on the Ps4 version, and that was right near the beginning after I recruited Brother and went into the tablet to view his Status. After that, it has run smoothly. The font size for the battle and map text on the Ps4 version are a little out-of-scale in relation to my television screen, but the dialog text is easily readable for me.

Overall, I'm going to enjoy going through the game.

Corpekata

Banned
I'm enjoying the game a lot. It's light hearted, a little cheesy, and seems that it'll take me a while to get through it. I'm on Chapter 2 at 7 hours so far, but I've been spending a lot of time enjoying my time wandering around and exploring the other areas. I have had a few party wipes when I bumped into something I wasn't expecting, but you just end up back in bed to start back up again.

I haven't been given the option to restart a battle with a different party options, so perhaps that is one of the talents that a recruited person has?

I've only had one lock-up on the Ps4 version, and that was right near the beginning after I recruited Brother and went into the tablet to view his Status. After that, it has run smoothly. The font size for the battle and map text on the Ps4 version are a little out-of-scale in relation to my television screen, but the dialog text is easily readable for me.

Overall, I'm going to enjoy going through the game.

Restarting is the button next to the escape button in the bottom left corner.

ChrisMoses

Neo Member
I didn't realize that you could go down to that section either. It's good that the VP offers something in battle.

I'm playing on PS4 (and remotely on my Vita), and haven't had any technical issues yet at all, now on Ch. 2 after about 3 hours played.

Slight spoiler for the end of Ch. 1:

Moonbucks is gone, and the barista is still telling me she needs to restock the Special Blend. Did I miss out on Recruiting her?

/end spoiler

The game is quirky and charming and well-done. My only complaints so far are that it isn't nearly as funny as I was hoping (I think it's elicited one smirk so far, and that's it), and the characters are just so generic. You can name all of them, but they're all just archetypes (Brother, Mom, Baker, Gardener, etc.), so I haven't yet found one with enough personality for me to bother naming. Because of that reason, I don't think there will be much story development... Hopefully I'm wrong.

Unique characters are generally my favorite part of RPGs. Everything else about CoE is a hit, but that has been a big miss.

Roto13

How is the soundtrack? This is very important.

It's kind of weird. It's actually so blad that it's worth specifically talking about. The kind of music where you forget what it sounds like while you're hearing it. If the music was randomly replaced with a low rumbling sound or static noise from an old TV, I probably wouldn't notice.

Tohsaka

Finished the game a little while ago with all characters/trophies. I enjoyed the game itself, but I will say that it's definitely the buggiest game I've played in recent memory, and I played Assassin's Creed Unity. The game either crashed or froze around ten times in my 27 hours of play (including once during the final boss fight). There were some other odd bugs too unrelated to performance, like the VR simulator only letting me fight four enemies instead of five, or having to use the Car Salesman's talent again to re-enter a car after exiting it for whatever reason. I'd recommend the game, but not until it's patched. It's really inexcusable that they released it as-is, especially after it was delayed two moths.

This game feels like it is going on forever. I just got to the start of chapter five, I've done barely anything but backtracking and fighting hordes of hard to avoid enemies but I feel like I've been playing for 100 hours, not 20.

For a while I was really enjoying this game, the way you encounter citizens and have to recruit them was fun, then it got annoying. I've been trying to complete side quests but the loading screens and the fact that I can't get back in the car salesmans car without having to use his talent is really frustrating.

The hordes of enemies that relentlessly chase you are frustrating, but as soon as you've done the quest in that area they all run from you and you can auto-kill them now. The game changes their AI when they are in a story area, I've never noticed that in a game before and it bugs me. And don't get me started on the freezes and crashes.

I was really looking forward to this game, but it's really turned into quite a disappointment. I should have spent my money on Grim Fandango.

I am so disappointed this isn't cross-buy. I'm playing on PS4 but sidetracked due to Grim Fandango. So far it just seems like a B-tier Earthbound.

Just played the PS4 demo a bit.

I kinda like it but I'm not sure...? Does the game get challenging at some point? Because if it doesn't, I feel like I would get bored pretty fast.

It has different difficulty levels.

jholmes

Brian★;148118657 said:
Citizens of Earth is a RPG developed by indie company Eden Industries, it was originally a Kickstarter, however they did not manage to receive their main goal and had nearly abandoned their project. Atlus came along and with the help of Atlus, Eden Industries once again, could proceed with Citizens of Earth. Not only did Atlus proceed to finish the game, but also helped Eden Industries to port their games to three unplanned consoles (PSVITA,3DS and Wii U).

I'm late to the thread I know but this bit from the OP isn't true. Eden was looking at all four consoles during their Kickstarter and had a Wii U dev kit during the Kickstarter campaign, so Atlus didn't influence the game coming to those consoles -- certainly not the Wii U, anyway. I'm also not sure why the OP thinks the PS4 was the lead port but maybe something changed down the line.

Anbec7

I'm really having a blast with this little game but... is there something regarding the crashes? so far 2 hard locks :/ Wii U version here

Makonero

I'm really having a blast with this little game but... is there something regarding the crashes? so far 2 hard locks :/ Wii U version here

Yeah, I've stopped playing because of the hard locks. Any news on a patch would be greatly appreciated.

JP

I really hope there's going to be patches for all versions of the game as it seems to be almost universally broken for people. It's a shame as it seemed to be an OK game even if it's nothing special.

I really like this game a lot. I never played Earthbound but I'm really digging the Suikoden vibe. I only have nine followers thus far — don't wanna make it too hard to get the yoga instructor — but they're all fairly unique in what they bring to the table, both in and out of combat. Recruiting the teacher is handy because you don't need to run back to school every time it's time to cycle the students, which helps you keep inactive party members leveled.

I've been rolling with the brother, conspiracy guy, and the baker. The brother is a good brawler, and has some nice defensive moves. I mostly use conspiracy guy to ID new mobs — it doesn't seem terribly important, but it pleases me to have that stuff filled in — but he also hits reasonably hard, and has nice elemental variety. The baker is a solid healer, who can bring the heat when needed and is handy with a rolling pin too. I like his Flour attack; it gives an action point, and the Agi-down means I don't need to make as many buns. Oh, a lot of the character-specific gear is pretty sweet, so don't forget to equip it. lol

Speaking of action points, I think the combat system is pretty cool too. As mentioned, it relies on action points, with basic actions typically generating Energy, and special actions consuming it. So the baker gains Energy by whacking mobs with his rolling pin and tossing flour in their eyes, and he uses that Energy to bake delicious treats for his partners; a Bun uses one Energy, a Donut consumes two, and a Cupcake requires all three of his action points, but fully heals the target. He can also make a variety of cakes. Standard game items like Coffee will also give characters Energy, and the barista can actually serve coffee mid-battle as her special ability. Oh, and they're actually making coffee and donuts for everyone mid-battle; not simply consuming inventory items, although that's always an option too. Pretty much all of the moves I've seen thus far seem fairly useful in their own way, and there's a ton of variety. So yeah, there's a lot going on there. Almost makes me wish I could have another member or two in my party. lol

Mob density seemed a bit high at first, but once got a chance to grind a bit and get ahead of the curve, the density is helping to keep everyone leveled. Fights usually go pretty smoothly now, and the xp is still flowing nicely, and I have plenty of cash to keep the tutoring going in the background.

I'm not super far in to it yet, but I'm pretty impressed. This is their first game? I look forward to their next effort.

How is the soundtrack? This is very important.
Passable. If it's "very important" to you, I doubt you'd be impressed, but it's not annoying or anything.

JP

Well that's good news, hopefully it'll sort everything out. Will be nice to get back to it again.

Asso52

Neo Member
I'm stuck everytime I talk to the protester to deliver the papers I found inside the White House: I couldn't end the dialogue on my VITA (chapter 3). Is it still happening to somebody?

Top Bottom