• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(PC/PS360/PS4) New Raven's Cry preview + gameplay videos

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Courtesy of dex3108 and derExperte:

Here's the whole preview: http://www.rpgwatch.com/show/article?articleid=279

Did someone just yell 'you cunt' in the ship battle video? Legit.

Here's an excerpt of 30 observations from the preview article (the author goes into a bit more detail over the course of a several paragraphs):

#1 - The game is heavy on the cinematics. You can expect a lot of cutscenes, voice acting and an overall movie-like experience.

#2 - There are some choices to make in quests. You can choose different ways to achieve the results you want.

#3 - Pistols and muskets are in the game. You have to manually reload your gun as well as manually aim.

#4 - Loot is randomized most of the time. When you loot something, you will often get a random amount of coin and possibly a random item or two.

#5 - You can buy new and bigger ships, upgrade existing ones with new cannons, cargo space, better sails and more!

#6 - You have a crew of sailors that you have to manage. They all have different traits and personalities that will affect your overall ship's wellbeing in both positive, and negative ways.

#7 - The game is very reminiscent of Two Worlds II. The art direction is similar and anyone who has played Two Worlds II will probably feel right at home here.

#8 - There is an inventory system and various items you can carry. Everything from new weapons to potions and herbs are here.

#9 - You can level up your character, and each level you will gain new skill points to spend in a skill tree on various abilities (including passive abilities).

#10 - You can equip various weapons, from sabers to rapiers, even special named weapons as well.

#11 - There are some consequences to your choices. Tick off the wrong person during a quest and it may come back to bite you later.

#12 - The character stats that are available are Health Points, Damage, and Damage Reduction stats.

#13 - There is a reputation system. Sinking ships and doing various deeds will make you friendly to certain factions, but decrease your reputation with others.

#14 - You have to manage crew morale. Keep them paid and fed well so they remain happy with you.

#15 - There are many unique characters you can recruit to your crew. They all have a back story and history.

#16 - There is a main quest, as well as some side quests to complete (including treasure maps that lead you to new locations.).

#17 - The cities you visit are large and sprawling, with NPCs everywhere doing various little things to make it feel alive.

#18 - There isn't much interactivity in the game world. Your character is mostly a fighter, not an herb collector.

#19 - Most NPCs can't be interacted with. The important ones are marked on your map (complete with markers on the mini-map).

#20 - There are ship-to-ship battles! You have to steer your ship into position, decide which type of shot to use (each type has different characteristics), determine the angle of the cannons and give the order to fire.

#21 - When boarding an opposing vessel, the game turns into a turn-based mini-game that allows you to give orders to your men on how they should act.

#22 - You can haul cargo from port to port to gain riches, and the economy prices will fluctuate accordingly. This adds a simulation aspect to the game.

#23 - The overworld map is a large series of port cities that you can visit, given you have the necessary money to pay your crew and enough rations.

#24 - There are random ship battles on the high seas. These can be avoided by hiring a certain type of crew member.

#25 - The overworld map has auto-travel, where you select a port and then your ship automatically travels to it.

#26 - Health regenerates outside of combat.

#27 - If another NPC spots a dead body, they will loot it.

#28 - Did I mention you play as a complete badass who has no regard for human life? This is definitely an adult-themed game.

#29 - Guns are very powerful but slow to reload. Not recommended for reloading during a battle.

#30 - The combat feels similar to Two Worlds II. There are finishing moves that you can execute as well if you have the skill. They instantly kill an opponent regardless of his health points. You can also parry and riposte, as well as actively dodge incoming attacks.

The game seems quite solid for a quasi-open-world title with a budget the fraction of what Ubisoft can throw around; if you're done with AssCreed Rogue and want to embark on another pirate-themed adventure, Raven's Cry may scratch the itch somewhat (although it seems there's no free-roam sailing, which is rather odd). It releases in a week for the PC and a little later on the PS3/4 (28th). Wikipedia still states the 14th for the X360 version but Amazon UK is no longer taking orders and it's not listed on Amazon DE at all, so there's the distinct possibility that it's been quietly cancelled.

Dawg

Ship combat looks like a 1:1 copy of the Assassin's Creed system, just with the differences you expect from a lower budget :p

I really want a good pirate game, but I doubt this will be it :( Might try it out though.

Tizoc

Ship combat looks like a 1:1 copy of the Assassin's Creed system, just with the differences you expect from a lower budget :p

I really want a good pirate game, but I doubt this will be it :( Might try it out though.

Look on the bright side: It's on Uplay meaning your save won't ever be deleted~

which is a bad thing. hate the ship stuff in AC, so SO boring.

Corpekata

Banned
Yeah no way is that town video running at 60 FPS.

I'm getting Two Worlds II sort of janky cult following vibes from this.

Eggbok

This reminds me of that Pirates of the Caribbean game on Xbox that had no affiliation with the movies other than the name lol.

MYeager

The game is very reminiscent of Two Worlds II. The art direction is similar and anyone who has played Two Worlds II will probably feel right at home here

Never thought I'd see that as a selling point.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Are you sad Disney cancelled that pirate game, JaseC? Seems you like pirates.

Haha, it's more that I like AssCreed. ;) But that being said, Armada of the Damned could have been something special so its death is an unfortunate one. To be honest, the only reason I pre-ordered Raven's Cry is that it comes with a bunch of fluff incentives (OST, map and a few in-game items) and in cases like this, where the matter of whether or not they're exclusive to the pre-order package is unclear or the language suggests they are exclusive, I have a "Better safe than sorry" policy.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
So an RPG with ship combat copied from Black Flag (which is good thing to do because that was the best thing about Black Flag), this game can be something if they have good quests, decent combat and good story.

It's a little light on raw exploration, so don't expect something quite the level of Risen 2 in this regard.

Those wanting to get lost in the wilderness and just explore, like in a game like Risen 2, may find the world a bit lacking in that regard. In one of the cities I visited, going off the beaten path resulted in a whole lot of nothing to find, but perhaps some of these features are indeed missing from the version I'm playing. Other cities seem to have no wilderness to explore at all, however, the cities themselves are vast enough to provide an ample amount of content to keep you playing.
Too bad about the lack of exploration.

Krystof Koreni

Neo Member
Here's another gameplay video from the same channel, with commentary, and exploring a bit more of Raven's Cry. Includes skill and leveling systems, inventory management and crew recruitment.

http://youtu.be/rvNpfc7pNVY

A framerate observation at 11m20s: "Unfortunately the version I'm using has the full debug code in it so it's going about 30% less optimized than it should be."

bede-x

It seems to be out on Steam now. Has anyone bought it? Does it function in the most basic ways? I'm considering buying it but not until I know how glitchy it is..

So, apparently after communicating with the devs through Steam. That the game has been pushed to March 30th for Ps4/ps3.

Guess that could bode well for this version. As the PC version is apparently an abomination. Like honestly a broken game. Makes Unity, MCC and any other game with issues look like a Nintendo game.

Top Bottom