• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Club Nintendo discontinued worldwide, new program to follow

Terrell

They're probably looking at a similar setup integrated into the OS of their devices through Nintendo Network. I dunno about you guys, but I found going to the website a pain in the ass. I never remembered when I had a survey to do. Integrating that in the OS somehow makes better sense.
What that means for us (read: what we get out of this) is up in the air. At bare minimum, we will get what we had before.

JoeM86

Unified account system so I can play Earthbound on my 3DS lets goooo

It's already unified, but that doesn't mean the 3DS can suddenly emulate SNES games.

They're probably looking at a similar setup integrated into the OS of their devices through Nintendo Network. I dunno about you guys, but I found going to the website a pain in the ass. I never remembered when I had a survey to do. Integrating that in the OS somehow makes better sense.
What that means for us (read: what we get out of this) is up in the air. At bare minimum, we will get what we had before.

I had the exact same thought. This is clearly going to be a NNID driven system. They already said it'd be beyond their hardware.

MarkusRJR

RIP Club Nintendo. Guessing we'll see a notice on the NA Club Nintendo once it's updated with the new digital prizes today. This sucks, I loved Club Nintendo. Hopefully we get one last Platinum prize that's awesome. Bet the new program will suck. :(

Nanashrew

Banned
I'm curious about unified accounts now. NNID has made Club Nintendo redundant as a service so the new programme will most likely be merged with NNID.

EDIT: beaten.

I like the awesome news of Flipnote Studio 3D being mixed in with the news, but yes, end of an era.

I wonder if I should hold off on registering my yet unregistered games (just in case they can be registered on the new service), and I also wonder if the non-Club Nintendo rewards for registering games (for example, registering both copies of Smash Bros. for Mewtwo and a soundtrack CD) will remain.

pop_itemimg_p201.jpg

pop_itemimg_p202.jpg

pop_itemimg_p203.jpg

Not enough points for these goodies. :(

Well, they want your marketing data.

You're not being rewarded for buying things. You're buying things because you want the product - the exchange was you giving them money for the product. They're giving you other things because you are supplying them data they can use.

But if all is linked to your NNID (this is their plan to interact with their customer), you would have to enter the data just once.
We are probably seeing the begining of the new strategy about accounts and customer relation, the unified system will be up when next platforms will launch.

Masked Man

I said wow
Wow, I can't believe this is going away! Makes me wonder what they're going to have instead... Maybe a completely Miiverse-integrated system?

Shojx

Well, the current state of Club Nintendo in NA was questionable, so if it's world-wide, I can't say I'm particularly saddened by this news.

Here's to hoping the next program does a better job overall.

Hopefully the replacement doesn't get shafted in America, the American Club Nintendo has been complete shit for a long time.
But this sucks that I have to spend all my coins now :/.

JoeM86

I have Mega Man 2 on my Wii U and if I want to play it on my 3DS I have to buy it again. That is not unified enough. (off topic though so whatever)

Not having cross buy for NES VC titles has nothing to do on whether or not an account is unified.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--After more than six years of delivering fun Nintendo-themed rewards to its members, Club Nintendo is preparing to shut down. Nintendo’s loyalty-rewards program rewarded members with a variety of items, such as downloadable games, Nintendo posters or character figures in exchange for Coins that members earned by registering products or completing surveys. Club Nintendo members in the United States and Canada can earn additional Coins through the end of March, and can redeem those Coins through the end of June. Nintendo of America will be announcing a new customer loyalty program at a later date.

“We thank all Club Nintendo members for their dedication to Nintendo games and their ongoing love for our systems and characters,” said Scott Moffitt, Nintendo of America’s executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. “We want to make this time of transition as easy as possible for our loyal Club Nintendo members, so we are going to add dozens of new rewards and downloadable games to help members clear out their Coin balances.”

Nintendo will add a number of physical reward options for members in February. Members will also be able to choose from a lineup of many downloadable games. As a gift to Club Nintendo members, the Flipnote Studio 3D software will be available to download for free in February. This software will allow users to create unique three-dimensional animations and to exchange their creations via local wireless with others who also own Flipnote Studio 3D. Users who uploaded creations to Flipnote Hatena will be able to download their personal animations from the Nintendo DSi Library menu in Flipnote Studio 3D software. Flipnote Studio 3D will be available to Club Nintendo members until June 30. The ability to create a new Club Nintendo account will end on March 31. All users who register to Club Nintendo before registration closes will be eligible to receive Flipnote Studio 3D.

For more information about Club Nintendo, visit https://club.nintendo.com. For more information on Flipnote Studio 3D, visit http://flipnotestudio3d.nintendo.com/.

Negator

After the last two years of disappointment with Platinum, I haven't even bothered to care about CN codes. Only registered my Smashes for the CD and Mewtwo.

Whatever the North American version of this new thing is, it is surely going to be the worst one.

Got the official NA press release a few minutes ago:

REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- After more than six years of delivering fun Nintendo-themed rewards to its members, Club Nintendo is preparing to shut down. Nintendo’s loyalty-rewards program rewarded members with a variety of items, such as downloadable games, Nintendo posters or character figures in exchange for Coins that members earned by registering products or completing surveys. Club Nintendo members in the United States and Canada can earn additional Coins through the end of March, and can redeem those Coins through the end of June. Nintendo of America will be announcing a new customer loyalty program at a later date.

“We thank all Club Nintendo members for their dedication to Nintendo games and their ongoing love for our systems and characters,” said Scott Moffitt, Nintendo of America’s executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. “We want to make this time of transition as easy as possible for our loyal Club Nintendo members, so we are going to add dozens of new rewards and downloadable games to help members clear out their Coin balances.”

Nintendo will add a number of physical reward options for members in February. Members will also be able to choose from a lineup of many downloadable games. As a gift to Club Nintendo members, the Flipnote Studio 3D software will be available to download for free in February. This software will allow users to create unique three-dimensional animations and to exchange their creations via local wireless with others who also own Flipnote Studio 3D. Users who uploaded creations to Flipnote Hatena will be able to download their personal animations from the Nintendo DSi Library menu in Flipnote Studio 3D software. Flipnote Studio 3D will be available to Club Nintendo members until June 30. The ability to create a new Club Nintendo account will end on March 31. All users who register to Club Nintendo before registration closes will be eligible to receive Flipnote Studio 3D.

For more information about Club Nintendo, visit https://club.nintendo.com. For more information on Flipnote Studio 3D, visit http://flipnotestudio3d.nintendo.com/.

About Nintendo: The worldwide pioneer in the creation of interactive entertainment, Nintendo Co., Ltd., of Kyoto, Japan, manufactures and markets hardware and software for its Wii U™ and Wii™ home consoles, and Nintendo 3DS™ and Nintendo DS™ families of portable systems. Since 1983, when it launched the Nintendo Entertainment System™, Nintendo has sold more than 4.2 billion video games and more than 673 million hardware units globally, including the current-generation Wii U, Nintendo 3DS and Nintendo 3DS XL, as well as the Game Boy™, Game Boy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo DSi™ and Nintendo DSi XL™, Super NES™, Nintendo 64™, Nintendo GameCube™ and Wii systems. It has also created industry icons that have become well-known, household names such as Mario™, Donkey Kong™, Metroid™, Zelda™ and Pokémon™. A wholly owned subsidiary, Nintendo of America Inc., based in Redmond, Wash., serves as headquarters for Nintendo’s operations in the Western Hemisphere. For more information about Nintendo, please visit the company’s website at http://www.nintendo.com.

It will definitely be linked to the NNID. You are already able to sign into sites like Miiverse, the Digital Deluxe Program, and the online store, so incorporating a rewards site wouldn't be anything different.

REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--After more than six years of delivering fun Nintendo-themed rewards to its members, Club Nintendo is preparing to shut down. Nintendo’s loyalty-rewards program rewarded members with a variety of items, such as downloadable games, Nintendo posters or character figures in exchange for Coins that members earned by registering products or completing surveys. Club Nintendo members in the United States and Canada can earn additional Coins through the end of March, and can redeem those Coins through the end of June. Nintendo of America will be announcing a new customer loyalty program at a later date.

Damn so no platinum and gold rewards this year then

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Hopefully they're prepping for an account system that will also track eShop purchases and will allow for redownloading deleted games.

Edit : I wonder if this is also meant to better include QOL stuff into their new program.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Sweet. I had over 1600 points on the Japanese Club Nintendo. Going to cash them in for 8,000 Yen in credit.

I'm sure the new system will just be the NNID. They're probably planning on beefing it up and releasing some cross-platform application/site that you can log into to manage your account, buy games, and more.

Nanashrew

Banned
DON'T SPEND ALL YOUR STUFF YET!

"Nintendo will add a number of physical reward options for members in February."
"...we are going to add dozens of new rewards and downloadable games to help members clear out their Coin balances"

Elija2

Oh shit, looks like those of us that saved our coins will finally be getting something good to spend them on.

Honestly, this could end up being a very good thing. Hopefully it's a good sign of things to come for Nintendo's future in the digital space.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I guess it's time to do a Club ninty code giveaway of the codes I've left that I can't use anyway because I'm in Norway

ding dong the witch is dead
not really, club nintendo sounds awesome, but it has been a drag to miss out on shitloads of promotions because it doesn't cover all regions...

Roo

Well, fuck this shit.
Also, it seems like they're only waiting for everyone to register their Smash Bros games to get the MewTwo DLC which has a March deadline too to definitely wrap things up.

Huh, I guess the question now is, do I register my hoarded codes now, or hold out for another get a free game promotion.

Also is there anything worth owning? Last time I browsed the store it was just a bunch of almost knock off looking old tat.

I wonder also if this is why they didn't do a similar promotion with Smash as they did with MK8?

Moff

I have amassaed quite a sum of stars of the years, never used them.
I hope there will be something new and worthwile in the catalogue.

any chance for e-shop currency? I doubt it.

I really do wonder what the new program will be, I mean it will have to be completely different otherwise there is no reason for them to shut down Club Nitnendo.

DON'T SPEND ALL YOUR STUFF YET!

"Nintendo will add a number of physical reward options for members in February."
"...we are going to add dozens of new rewards and downloadable games to help members clear out their Coin balances"

Hopefully the "dozens" they add won't just be 34 downloadables games that they have already offered and two physical products.

I don't see anything saying there will be no Gold + Platinum rewards. It ends in July, and isn't that also when the CN year ends?

Either way, I will do all my surveys next week and have around 2-3k coins to spend on whatever they add.

Dad

I was hoping for an actual interesting Platinum reward this year seeing as last year was the first time I achieved Platinum status, and all I got out of it were some digital offers for games I already owned. Hopefully some cools stuff goes up between now and the end.

Top Bottom