• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DirectX 12 GPU exclusive features to be shown/announced at GDC

Bsigg12

Is the Xbox One GPU fully compatible with DX12 ? Read : does it have the DX12 hardware features ?

I think it would be incredibly stupid if they didn't develop the Xbox One GPU with DX12 in mind but everything Microsoft did prior to the Xbox One launch was incredibly stupid so I guess we'll find out at GDC barring another leak.

Good for you.

Really unclear as to how not answering a question that has been on the minds of people for quite some time is over-announcing but w/e.
The answer in the OP is quite straightforward IMHO. "You will need a new graphics card" to get full support of DX12. Not "depending on the class of your graphics adapter..." or something. This pretty much implies they're not there yet.

Kezen

Banned
Phil Spencer is saying on twitter that xbone supports all dx12 features but I don't see how that could be true.

I doubt this is true as well, IIRC only Maxwell has partial DX12 hardware support, and the Xbox One GPU is a straight Bonaire, isn't it ? So no hardware DX12 goodness.
Besides, if we need "new" hardware for full DX12 support that rules out the Xbox One with its bottom end GPU.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Phil Spencer is saying on twitter that xbone supports all dx12 features but I don't see how that could be true.

You do realize that Microsoft had heavy input in design of the SoC in the Xbox One and that they are building DX12 right?

How could it not be true that they built hardware that has full support of the software they are developing?

I doubt this is true as well, IIRC only Maxwell has partial DX12 hardware support, and the Xbox One GPU is a straight Bonaire, isn't it ? So no hardware DX12 goodness.
Besides, if we need "new" hardware for full DX12 support that rules out the Xbox One with its bottom end GPU.

Xbox One is not off the shelf hardware it is only based on AMD hardware.

RayMaker

Banned

I doubt they would of not made the X1 fully compatible with DX12, DX12 has most likely been in development for a good few years now.

I guess we will find out when the first DX12 game built from the ground up ships, what benefits the new cards offer and if the X1 offers it to.

FordGTGuy

Banned
I'm not convinced.

Based on what?

What evidence do you have to prove otherwise?

Microsoft already knows what DX12 is going to have in it and what it will do so what would stop them from building hardware to do it too?

Why would the company building DX12 for the "Direct X"box One that already uses parts of DX12 not be built with DX12 in mind.

Turn 10, the studio that put a lot of insight in on the design of the components, is one of the first studios to show off a title built on DX12.

TheTrain

Remember what NVIDIA said:

Full DX12 support could mean full features support via software(DX11.3) or full hardware features support.

IMHO, Phil Spencer is talking about the first one the same way NVIDIA did.

This is interesting:

New Functionality – DX12 & DX11

In addition, the DX12 release of DirectX will introduce a number of new features supported by Maxwell for graphics rendering. Microsoft disclosed some of these features at GDC and during NVIDIA’s Editor’s Day conference. Conservative Raster is one of these features. Useful in algorithms from voxelization to memory allocation and occlusion culling, conservative raster tests a primitive against the area of the pixel.
Figure 4 -- transparency rendering. Figure 4 – transparency rendering.

Another is Raster Ordered Views (ROVs), which gives developers control over the ordering of pixel shader operations. ROVs can be used to implement functions such as custom blending as well as algorithms for transparency.

The new graphics features included in DX12 will be accessible from either DX11 or DX12, so developers will be free to use the new features with either the DX11 or DX12 APIs.

Ready Now
Maxwell and DX12 represent the latest advancements in gaming technology, are ready now, and will empower developers to create extraordinary games.
- See more at: http://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2014/09/19/maxwell-and-dx12-delivered/#sthash.CY0AYZhl.04E2cefn.dpuf

Kezen

Banned
Base on what?
What evidence do you have to prove otherwise?
I'm researching at the moment, but I'm fairly sure there were detailed breakdowns of the xbone GPU. I very much doubt it has full hardware support.

Why would the company building DX12 for the "Direct X"box One that already uses parts of DX12 not be built with DX12 in mind.
Turn 10, the studio that put a lot of insight in on the design of the components, is one of the first studios to show off a title built on DX12.
That's really not close to be evidence of full hardware support. I guess we will have to see, but I will not be surprised if the xbone is only software compatible with DX12.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Why? They support more DX12 features than any other cards on the market.

Why? I was fully aware that DX12 was standing right around the corner when I bought my GTX 980.

I never expect full compatibility for hardware that's older than a standard.

WHY WHY WHY?!

It's more so that not everyone is as informed as us, I would imagine out of all people nvidia would have dev access to DX12.
I personally have x2 980s and I I understand whole tech goes. Not everyone is like you or I.
Also overall, usually latest hardware close to release of new DX supports some features just now all.

FordGTGuy

Banned
I'm researching at the moment, but I'm fairly sure there were detailed breakdowns of the xbone GPU. I very much doubt it has full hardware support.

That's really not close to be evidence of full hardware support. I guess we will have to see, but I will not be surprised if the xbone is only software compatible with DX12.

The evidence is Microsoft saying they've built their own hardware to be compatible with their own software...

Having a detailed GPU breakdown means nothing, Microsoft already said when they originally released the SoC breakdowns that what they showed does not completely detail the entire hardware design.

Dual GPU bro!

Strawman! (Implying a crazy guy with a blog spreading fudge somehow stops a company from developing software from designing hardware that supports said software......)

Chris1

https://twitter.com/xboxp3/status/446873135594225664

"DX12 will have impact on XBOX One games written for DX12. Some DX12 features are already in XBOX One but full DX12 coming."

Xbox one is getting full DX12, Phil isn't going to lie about that when people will see for themselves later this year. That would just be stupid on his part. Plus, he hasn't lied or even spinned words yet so why would he about that? He's the one that said TR exclusivity had a duration, flat out shot down misterxmedia etc. He's not in the game to talk crap even it does make the xbox look better.

Nachtmaer

It all seems like marketing fluff anyway. I'm not doubting the Xbox will support some of the software improvements DX12 will bring (like the current GPUs), but its hardware specs were nailed down long before DX12's new hardware features were even finalised. I'm not denying that the Xbox's GPU might have some hardware features that weren't supported by DX up until now though. ATi's GPUs had a tessellator unit long before tessellation made it into DX.

https://twitter.com/xboxp3/status/446873135594225664

"DX12 will have impact on XBOX One games written for DX12. Some DX12 features are already in XBOX One but full DX12 coming."

Xbox one is getting full DX12, Phil isn't going to lie about that when people will see for themselves later this year. That would just be stupid on his part.

Hmmmm, very interesting. I wonder if it will introduce any real world performance boosts, as they said in the brief DX12 demo they showed that it supposedly can offer substantial performance increases.

Kezen

Banned
The evidence is Microsoft saying they've built their own hardware to be compatible with their own software...
There is no evidence for that, it could simply be that the console is only software compatible with DX12. Nvidia and AMD have pushed for new features to be added to drive hardware demands, it does not necessarily have anything to do with the Xbox One.

Strawman! (Implying a crazy guy with a blog spreading fudge somehow stops a company from developing software from designing hardware that supports said software......)
Yeah, in the case of the xbone I think this is just marketing. Playing on words, eluding the question etc..

I don't think anyone has been able to fully breakdown the GPU. There were lots of people throwing around the base figures on speed and etc, but it is not an off the shelf GPU. Neither is PS4s.

MS built the SOC knowing what they would need for DX12. They have even ported F5 to a DX12 version. I would be incredibly surprised if the XB1 GPU doesn't fully support it. It makes little sense considering they were designing both and they continually talk about how it will help the GPU on the console.

Kezen

Banned
MS built the SOC knowing what they would need for DX12. They have even ported F5 to a DX12 version.
Running on a GPU with no DX12 hardware features (Titan Black). It proves nothing.

I would be incredibly surprised if the XB1 GPU doesn't fully support it. It makes little sense considering they were designing both and they continually talk about how it will help the GPU on the console.
I would not be surprised at all, as long as MS can get away with their console being "compatible" with DX12 it's a non issue in their eyes.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Running on a GPU with no DX12 hardware features (Titan Black). It proves nothing.

I would not be surprised at all, as long as MS can get away with their console being "compatible" with DX12 it's a non issue in their eyes.

Well until you can provide some evidence to prove otherwise I don't see why we shouldn't take Phil Spencer's word for it, and common sense too.

Why would that be a non-issue to their eyes?

What are you play at?

Are you saying Microsoft is arrogant and doesn't consider their customers to be smart enough to even understand the differences between software and hardware support?

Are you somehow mad that it shouldn't be possible for a older AMD based-design to be able to do something a GTX 980 might not be able to fully support?

So glad I held off on buying parts for my new rig. Almost pulled the trigger on all the parts yesterday. The saying "Good things come to those who wait" is damn right.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Wow, and people wonder why more people dont get into pc gaming.

So glad I held off on buying parts for my new rig. Almost pulled the trigger on all the parts yesterday. The saying "Good things come to those who wait" is damn right.

It's really just PC gaming as always.

Once DX12 cards come out we will be talking about some other kind of hardware we should wait for. DDR4, new CPUs, new AMD GPUs... who knows.

Wow, and people wonder why more people dont get into pc gaming.

Anyone with a 970 nor 980 should not be disappointed. They can run any game on the market at higher resolution, higher fps, higher textures, higher AA, and better effects than either of the current generation consoles.

If you want to always be at the bleeding edge of hardware yes it can get downright expensive as hell but cards last a while. I have a 780ti that I bought last year that maxes every game on the market at solid fps and won't be buying another one until these new GPU's launch in September / October. That's a solid 2 years of performance and it likely could last me even longer if I wanted to hold out, which I don't.

Dont ps4 and x1 have a special bus going from cpu cache to gpu cache. Maybe dx12 Will expose those kind of busses on newer mobo.

Kezen

Banned
Well until you can provide some evidence to prove otherwise I don't see why we shouldn't take Phil Spencer's word for it, and common sense too.

What are you play at?

Are you saying Microsoft is arrogant and doesn't consider their customers to be smart enough to even understand the differences between software and hardware support?

Are you somehow mad that it shouldn't be possible for a older AMD based-design to be able to do something a GTX 980 might not be able to fully support?

We shall see. >_>

Using logical thought...DX12 has been in development for a long time, and the Xbox One was in development for a long time. DX12 was most likely in development either before X1 R&D began or shortly after.

That being said, I think it's safe to assume that MS engineers would have made certain that the X1 was fully compatible with DX12, and judging by statements from Phil and other MS personnel, I think it's safe to say that assumption is correct.

After all, the Xbox is the Direct-X-Box.

What are you play at?

Man, are you being serious?

It is super obvious that a bonaire era GPU on an off the shelf APU design will not support hardware dx12 features. HELL, GCN 2.0 doesnt even do that! Why on earth would AMD even do that?
Using logical thought...DX12 has been in development for a long time, and the Xbox One was in development for a long time. DX12 was most likely in development either before X1 R&D began or shortly after.

That being said, I think it's safe to assume that MS engineers would have made certain that the X1 was fully compatible with DX12, and judging by statements from Phil and other MS personnel, I think it's safe to say that assumption is correct.

After all, the Xbox is the Direct-X-Box.

Using this logic xbox 360 should have had full support for all the dx10 features that cameout after its release. When in reality, its hardware was basically jsut prototype dx10 stuff and did not support all dx10 features.

Begaria

Black Friday 2015 is going to be a wonderful PC shopping day for me. New motherboard, CPU, and GPU that is DX12 compliant. Can't wait.

There is no evidence for that, it could simply be that the console is only software compatible with DX12. Nvidia and AMD have pushed for new features to be added to drive hardware demands, it does not necessarily have anything to do with the Xbox One.

Yeah, in the case of the xbone I think this is just marketing. Playing on words, eluding the question etc..

I don't think this is an incredible stretch to assume he's telling the truth. MS did design a custom SOC for the XB1, and they helped design DX12...which was happening during the XB1's planning stages. Not much of a stretch to assume they would want to include as many (if not all) of the proposed DX12 features in their GPU.

That doesn't mean the GPU will all of a sudden be a 4tflop GPU, but I'm sure it'll be able use some DX12 features that some cards today won't be able to.

Of course, no one really knows (outside of MS). We'll find out soon enough.

RayMaker

Banned
I dont know how reliable Brad wardell is, but hes a game dev, so he must be pretty reliable right?

anyway here is his explanation of how DX12 will work.

B7aJ3LMCMAAko_v.png

FordGTGuy

Banned
Man, are you being serious?

It is super obvious that a bonaire era GPU on an off the shelf APU design will not support hardware dx12 features. HELL, GCN 2.0 doesnt even do that! Why on earth would AMD even do that?

Using this logic xbox 360 should have had full support for all the dx10 features that cameout after its release. When in reality, its hardware was basically jsut prototype dx10 stuff and did not support all dx10 features.

Because...... AMD didn't do it?

Microsoft did.

It's a logical fallacy to try to directly compare DX10 and Xbox 360 to Xbox One and DX12.

I dont know how reliable Brad wardell is, but hes a game dev, so he must be pretty reliable right?

anyway here is his explanation of how DX12 will work.

B7aJ3LMCMAAko_v.png

That's a lot more arrows. Which I guess it means better / easier to relay larger amounts of data between the CPU and GPU? Would help explain the supposed big performance increases DX12 will provide.

jmga

I wonder how a hardware of 2013 can have the same DX feature level as one of 2015, especially when DX12 specification is not even closed, and Maxwell GPUs are not full DX12 support.

Depending on graphics features, I guess I will have to replace my Geforce GTX 770 4GB when they release cards that fully support Direct X12. *Sigh*

FordGTGuy

Banned
So mid 2016 is when XBO's potential will be unleashed and blow away PCs and PS4?

Well, I've waited this long so what's another year.

Are you actually implying that DX12 features somehow equal more powerful hardware?

Give me a break, why don't you actually do some research on the understanding of what this does before implying something so obviously wrong.

I didn't see a single person in here implying that the XOne would somehow become more powerful than PC/PS4 because of full DX12 compatibility.

Is that honestly what is making people skeptical about this because they want to defend the hardware power advantage of the PS4/PC? I can assure you that this isn't going to magically unlock some hidden power.

I wonder how a hardware of 2013 can have the same DX feature level as one of 2015, especially when DX12 specification is not even closed, and Maxwell GPUs are not full DX12 support.

Microsoft are the ones building DX12 and unlike Nvidia they knew what the final product would be all along.

Because it isn't 2013 hardware it is only based on 2013 hardware.

Kezen

Banned
So mid 2016 is when XBO's potential will be unleashed and blow away PCs and PS4?

Well, I've waited this long so what's another year.

No, even in this case a bottom end desktop GPU with DX12 support will outbest the Xbox One with remarquable ease.

DX12 will absolutely not turn MS's console into something it is not, it's a low tier hardware which won't achieve miracles when games will stress it even more.

I want a DX12 ready GPU
6 - 8 GB of VRAM
and at least 50% performance boost over the 980
in September / October.

Willing to pay $1000

Come on Nvidia let's do this.

Because...... AMD didn't do it?

Microsoft did.

It's a logical fallacy to try to directly compare DX10 and Xbox 360 to Xbox One and DX12.

Explain why that is so, please.

Much like the fabled D-GPU, Move engines, double read write of ESRAM, people hoping for hardware features being hidden until a proper unveiling by MS are being delusional.

Why in the hell would microsoft be coy about somethihng like this? Why would they hide hardware features? Seriously, why?

Heck, even interviews with devs about dx12 have only mentioned its CPU savings and nothing about unlocking hidden hardware stuff.

Top Bottom