• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of Incarnates Early Access Feb 4 2015

Beckx

Namco bringing Rise of Incarnates to Early Access on Feb 4, 2015.

They've got a dev diary up that says they've made extensive changes since the beta, including speeding up gameplay and improving controls.

The site has been updated with a how to play page. and they've introduced two more characters since the Beta (Ra and Fenrir).

B8DfOWBIUAA2FqA.jpg

Screenshot_0006.jpg

For those newly joining the Rise of Incarnates bandwagon, it's a free to play 2v2 arena fighter based around the same style of play as Namco's Japanese-only Gundam Extreme Versus series. The team includes Gundam EXVS veterans and the project is being overseen by Harada.

^

Let's Hope. The change list says they increased the speed and altered the controls in response to feedback that us baka gaijin didn't need the game simplified. I really want the game to be good.

Beckx

As Lost pointed out elsewhere, getting Custom Match modes and VS bot practice should help a ton.

Ra looks fun. That mini Rolling Buster.

I've never seen any vids of that dude with glasses and the general in the background. Any footage of those characters? Or is that General just the president.

Vids up on the character page. Trailer plus vids for each individual attack (at least for Ra).

Sayah

My laptop couldn't run it properly when I downloaded the alpha. A lot of lag. Wondering if the early access will have option to play at medium to low settings.

『Inaba Resident』;148842476 said:
I really want to try this out but its 64 bit only :(
If they also haven't toned down the system requirements such that you need an actually modern computer to run it then I'm out too unfortunately

VariantX

Hopefully this doesn't run like molasses online like before and I actually can get matches. I dont even know where they got the Idea in their heads that gameplay needed to be simplified when no one even complained about the complexity of EXVS in the first place.

The End

Tried it during the beta

it was very, very beta but felt a lot like the Gundam Vs. games

ran decently well on a mid-spec 2013 computer (i5, 8Gb, 760)

DunpealD

『Inaba Resident』;148842476 said:
I really want to try this out but its 64 bit only :(

My laptop couldn't run it properly when I downloaded the alpha. A lot of lag. Wondering if the early access will have option to play at medium to low settings.

If they also haven't toned down the system requirements such that you need an actually modern computer to run it then I'm out too unfortunately

I have no idea why this game is so resource heavy. They should have prioritized it to even run on toasters like LoL or WoW.

If you're still running a 32-bit operating system you have no one to blame but yourself. Real Talk.

The Rise of Incarnates team have no one to blame but themselves when nobody is playing this game when it runs like molasses or even unplayable. Real Talk.

DunpealD

Sorry for saying that more people should be able to play the game without investing into new hardware or software. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I didn't even know performance was a problem for people, ran fine for me?

iirc, this game hasn't changed in performance since alpha and I still remember people writing on their Facebook that they can't play it. It's always been LoL greatest strength that it can run on nearly anything.

Beckx

Sorry for saying that more people should be able to play the game without investing into new hardware or software. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Communist.

You've already been outed for running your laptop on hamsters.

I didn't have performance issues. I was just bored

@NeoGafNoContext

--------------------

The thing that really has me hopeful for this is the complete reversal by the dev team on the concern that EXVS games would be too fast for the western audience.

Now if they just up the ham level they'll have the audience down pat.

Beckx

Nothing about stepping. How to Play still cites dashing as the most effective way to dodge.

I guess we'll find out what move canceling systems are in when early access hits.

Been playing a couple matches... seems pretty improved over the alpha/beta. Fenix.... errr I mean Fenrir seems straight up ripped out of Gears of War. He even has a cover mechanic move where you hide behind an energy wall... pretty hilarious.

We get all the characters for free for the first week, after that they cost 1290 LP to unlock in the store.... not sure how long the unlock is good for.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Every time I see this title, I think of Rise of the Immortals, wonder what happened to Rise of the Immortals and find out it shut down, renamed itself, relaunched, and shut down again.

Good company they're keeping with the name.

sorry... turns out purchasing characters after the trial costs IP (real money) not LP (unlockable money)

guess they're going to do the rotation of free characters after the first week

Other things you have to pay money for-

extra skill cube blocks- either pay real money or grind out a million LP... couple hundred matches

money speeds up the time to synthesize skillcubes they run out of uses

no costumes or customizations can be purchases with LP... all real money

"Seems like a great way to kill the game before it is even born."

It's not much different from Killer Instinct (which people like).

The bad part is all of the gimmicky mobile game stuff like having skill cubes that require you to recharge them before you can use them again, etc.

I played a lot (name showed up as Tre?), ultimately, it doesn't feel much different from before. It still feels like a lead weight is chained to the characters' legs. No momentum from boost dashing, so no boost jump stuff. No stepping. Still a ton of cooldown on ranged shots so no zunda.

It still feels like they think Western gamers are too dumb for Gundam. Ironically, the control scheme they have is *more* complex than EXVS (and not in a good way) because they put everything on individual buttons instead of using combinations.

Nah they already put out a trailer for Zeus during the last Alpha, the character just wasn't named.

Edit: Lol, Loki looks a bit like Corrin's Kapool.

Holy shit they are going to add Gouf!!! Enron get hype!

elyetis

Well I guess it will only kill it for me then. It wasn't going on a great start since it felt like a dumbed down Gundam ( which I love ), but not even going for the lol/hots model where real money isn't necessary ( outside of cosmetic ) but a shortcut if you don't wanna grind. I mean I already have a hard time with that model since I'm used to Dota 2, but I least I still think it's decent, I actually play some hots ( and did spend a little money in it ).

But what is described there feel like a free demo with very limited content, and a game in kit which will end up costing more than an actual 60$ full game.

DunpealD

I dunno 10 bucks for one character seems rather steep or even ripoff-ish without unlocking by playing. 50 bucks for all current characters. This is a new high for DLC characters in a fighting game.

Gameplay hasn't changed much from the beta it seems, aside from some character specific changes. I still hate the gliding mechanic.

Also the game takes at least 2.5GB+ RAM, so it can get iffy for 4GB users. I have yet to see why it does need so much, when a game like EXVS can run on a PS3. :| They could at least offer some downscaling.

EDIT: The characters are free for 1 day. Unless you do the challenges in ranked, which then extends it to a week.

Beckx

EDIT: The characters are free for 1 day. Unless you do the challenges in ranked, which then extends it to a week.

What triggers the free period, launching it? I'm not going to have any time to mess around with it much so I will just put off playing at all until I do.

DunpealD

What triggers the free period, launching it? I'm not going to have any time to mess around with it much so I will just put off playing at all until I do.

Actually I have no idea. I'd assume the moment you start the game. You can get the free week by doing 4 basic challenges like hitting landings or cancel your attacks. Possible to do all in 4 games, since challenges are done in sequence.

LegatoB

This still feels super slow and clunky. Was it really that hard to rip off EXVS directly? That series has fifteen years of iteration and expertise going into it. They kinda know what they're doing!

And I don't think they're going to listen at this point. We're just crazy people who have played other directly comparable games from the same company, what the hell do we know about what makes these games fun or exciting?

Runs significantly better on my laptop now, although there's still a lot to be desired before it attains the LoL-esque "can run on a toaster" title. Also is there a way to set controller bindings to be more like EXVS?

The bad part is all of the gimmicky mobile game stuff like having skill cubes that require you to recharge them before you can use them again, etc.

I played a lot (name showed up as Tre?), ultimately, it doesn't feel much different from before. It still feels like a lead weight is chained to the characters' legs. No momentum from boost dashing, so no boost jump stuff. No stepping. Still a ton of cooldown on ranged shots so no zunda.

It still feels like they think Western gamers are too dumb for Gundam. Ironically, the control scheme they have is *more* complex than EXVS (and not in a good way) because they put everything on individual buttons instead of using combinations.

That sounds horrible. Why should I play this if I have Full Boost already?

LegatoB

Was that what they were going for or is there an inherently problem with the current pacing?
I think it's intentional. The producer has mentioned that they were worried about "introducing a new style of gameplay" and that they'd toned down some elements because of that. I think it's a misguided approach. I could understand adjusting some of the more arcane elements of the movement in EXVS to be "accessible." But in the process they've taken a lot of the FUN out of moving around (the core of the game), and the flow of combat they've replaced it with just isn't very interesting. And I still see players complaining about the control scheme and format of the game, which is probably a bigger "wall" than learning how to boost cancel shots and hop out of dashes in EXVS. I dunno.

Cosmo: Nope, there's still no way to map things to EXVS-style button combinations, unfortunately.

Keasar

I played a few bot matches (since it wouldn't match me against other players) and I can't say I like it.

Despite the changes they made since the last beta, everything still feels weird and clunky. Attack animations are still too slow and feels awkward. The whole game just feel slow with long attack animations, slow movement speed, slow everything. It just isn't fun. :(

I really doubt this will get popular in the long run, Namco Bandai will take that as there is no interest in 2v2 fighters and that will be it.

Top Bottom