• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which publishers or devs are in your black book?

Capcom
Ubisoft
Activision

They continue to disappoint with poor games or practices.

It's not a bad thing to have standards, which some people seem to forget. By buying games from publishers who make bad or broken games, you are approving of their actions and allow them to make poor games or choices.

daninthemix

None as such but Ubisoft are damn close

This. Basically every decision Ubisoft has made about or within the Assassin's Creed series grinds my gears.

And the arrogance! Forcing us to watch a 25 minute end credit sequence? What a feculent little company.

I do not support Sony because of their business practices. I can't mention all their bad practices now but their latest is how they treat the PlayStation Vita and their PlayStation Vita customers. First they act like the PlayStation Vita is a AAA blockbuster game machine and now we can be happy when we get indie games (which is not meant in a bad way) and even Sony does not care about the PlayStation Vita anymore!

pa22word

Ding, ding, ding!
You guys must either have way too much money or way too much free time, then, because at the $60 asking price for video games these days I don't know how you guys can afford it. Hell, I'll drop an author over a few bad books and most books these days you can get first run for like $15. I can't imagine continuously buying shit over and over again only with "oh well maybe they'll get it together next time..." as a response. Just seems like blind, sheepish consumerism to me.

Derp

Uhm... None? If a game is good and I think I'll enjoy it I'll buy it. I don't give two shits who publishes it.

gelf

You guys must either have way too much money or way too much free time, then, because at the $60 asking price for video games these days I don't know how you guys can afford it. Hell, I'll drop an author over a few bad books and most books these days you can get first run for like $15. I can't imagine continuously buying shit over and over again only with "oh well maybe they'll get it together next time..." as a response. Just seems like blind, sheepish consumerism to me.
Just because I'm not explicitly boycotting a publisher doesn't mean I buy shit games. I judge on a game by game basis. I'm not rushing out to buy Ubisoft DLC Bloatfest 7 but I'll still buy a Ubisoft game if all impressions I got of it look good, which is usually their more budget releases.

You could argue I'm boycotting Activison because I don't think I've bought a game from them in over a decade but in reality its just that they haven't made any games I care about. If they ever put something good out I'll buy it.

jesu

None.

Fuck missing out on games I want to play just because I'm grumpy.

Too much money or enjoy my hobby, can't decide which.

$60 for multiple hours of entertainment isn't that much anyway.
I can't remember the last game I never got my moneys worth from.

None.

"I'll never buy from (evil publisher du jour) again!" is one of the emptiest threats on the Internet. Lack of interest is a much more potent threat to publishers than anger, I've found.

I guess West Games, Muxwell, Sergei Titov etc. People like that.
Those who are scammers, opportunists, dishonest, otherwise shady and dubious, and/or just ridiculously incompetent.

And the Hatred team, Running With Scissors and Daniel Vavra. People like that.
Those who just rub me the wrong way. Be it by supporting hate movements or by leaning full force into the tackiest marketing shtick, or both.

I'd write up those who try to profit off of clones on mobile and garbage on Steam, but I can never remember their names (except Muxwell's, cause it's such a stupid one) and they probably just change them between releases anyway.

Devs are hard to pinpoint since they change people under the same name. But if I knew for sure that the version of Bioware that did Sonic Chronicles is working on anything. I'll bail the fuck out.

Frog-fu

Banned
None. Seems a bit silly, and a little reactionary. If you make informed purchases, odds are you won't be hugely disappointed.

I have a very long list :p Usually a publisher or developer has to fuck up several times before they get added to the "no buy list". Top of the list is Ubisoft. I refuse to touch anything by Ubisoft I find that makes my life infinitely easier as a PC gamer. Next up is EA for pretty shoddy practices towards the PC platform and the fact I cannot stand Origin (in before the "whats wrong with Origin" if you like it fine, I don't). Activision isn't on the list bizarrely enough I just never buy anything from them cos their shit sucks balls.

Now Developers I personally avoid are Rockstar because of their overall contempt for the PC market. I also now avoid anything from Bioware after that god awful Mass Effect 3.

Lucreto

Insomniac Games are temporarily in the black book after Sunset Overdrive not because it was exclusive but because it is one of the worst game I played and below their usual standard. The music and the forced unfunny humour severely detracts from the game that the gameplay can't make up for.

Activision has been in it for years. Destiny was the first game since the PS2 era that I bought.

Konami for not releasing Suikoden III in Europe. I won't buy Metal Gear games or Castlevania games. The last game I bought eas Suikoden V. Suikoden I and Suikoden II on Vita will be the exception in February.

BibiMaghoo

Not all games are equal, even from the same dev and publisher. They can make a stinker, then follow it up with the best game they have ever made. Blacklisting a dev or pub ensures you will never get to play that fantastic follow up game, just because you bought a bad one at some point?

That makes little sense. Games are expensive yes, but each needs to be judged on it's own merits, not the merits (or lack of) from a game made 5 years ago, or the name of the publisher on the box.

I don't blacklist companies, but I didn't buy games with online passes, I buy games with season passes only after complete edition/heavy discount, games I really want with performance issues I buy for VERY cheap, and I never, ever buy games day one anymore. I wait for extensive impressions from GAF members I trust.

Nzyme32

Ubisoft
EA
Microsoft digital distribution

I keep an eye on them to see if they are improving. If they do as advertised for a very long period of time as well as being trustworthy and consumer friendly, then I'll consider using their games/service again

Cream

Banned
None.

I used to hate Capcom for a little bit, but then I realized how petty it was, and they still make some games I like so -shrug-

Chibot

I haven't bought anything from EA, Ubi or Activision in years, but it's really because I don't tend to enjoy their games.

koutoru

Capcom - not the developer side, but the publisher side.

(EDIT: By this I mean I will not buy their games new, if the game is interesting to me I will buy it later used.)

Summoner

Before their demise at the end of 2013. Terminal Reality was deeply in my shit books.
I never forgave them for their shitty, buggy and unplayable mess of their PS2 port
of The King of Fighters Collection: The Orochi Saga.

Az987

all good things
None. If a new game by a Dev I was burned by for buying their bad game before came out I'd just do my homework and look at impressions and reviews more.

Same with film and some directors. *cough* Ridley Scott *cough*

legacyzero

Banned
Ubisoft.

I know there's a lot of "If I like the game, I buy it" going on in here, and I respect that. I used to be that way with Ubi games. But Ubisoft is the only company to constantly burn me with every purchase.

- Withholding information from customers until after launch (like features)
- Buggy launches
- Terrible PR (Animation budget for female characters, 1080p debates, etc)
- Terrible Monetization practices.

It's a shame, too, because they just happen to have compelling IP. I'm a HUGE Far Cry fan, and because of how they treated the Far Cry multiplayer community, I boycotted the game. I'm not one to usually do that sort of thing, but this is a repeated activity from Ubi that I just couldn't stand for anymore. A terrible company. When even EA looks like a better company, you know you done fucked up.

Jito

Banned

You know that it's possible to buy the games you want, without buying shit games and without boycotting specific developers or publishers. Mind blowing.

StayDead

EA and Ubisoft purely for their terrible practices and more than often terrible games. It's not that I refuse to buy their games, it's just they don't make any games that look good to me that I want to buy.

georly

I haven't bought a game from ubisoft or EA in years. Mainly because they don't make games that I care about, but even if they did, I don't like the hoops they make you jump through (uplay, origin, season passes, etc etc) just to play a full game. Every time I played one of their games I felt like they were deliberately cutting content to monetize it or making me do things in an effort to nickel and dime me in some other way. Comes off as sleazy to me and I just don't like or support the practice.

That's not to say I don't like dlc or season passes, it's just that when they do it, I *FEEL* like i'm being ripped off. "This should have been in the base game and you're trying to charge me for it?" I basically don't buy games with sleazy DLC or publisher-based interfaces necessary to play the game. EA and ubi are the worst at this, but EA seems to be slowly crawling out of the hole they were in while Ubi keeps digging itself further down.

EA and Ubisoft purely for their terrible practices and more than often terrible games. It's not that I refuse to buy their games, it's just they don't make any games that look good to me that I want to buy.

Exactly. Even when they DO make a good looking game... the thought of having to deal with their crap to play it discourages me from doing it.

Make a good game, make it easy for me to play it, don't nickel and dime me, and then we'll talk. Until then, there are PLENTY of other fish in the sea.

ShinMaruku

The genre of fighting is in my black book. I really tried but it is just not for me. Never again.

Perfectly valid. I'm the same for elder scrolls games.

Having an absolute no buy rule is stupid. Ultimately even previously bad entertainment producers can produce excellent work, change poor work conditions, or halt anti consumer actions.

Saying that, I do have a 'shit list' of untrustworthy publishers and studios, so make it a rule to never preorder Ubisoft or EA titles for instance, and wait for both good reviews and sales before purchasing if it does look ok.

I want to know why it's stupid, in practice it is very rare that bad actors change their practices unless something significant happens, in this industry that is very rarely going to happen. It is highly unlikely.

I say, in good conscious, that I believe, Sega will put together another great Sonic game. They did so with Sonic Colours and Sonic Generations and they will do it again.

I don't really have a blackbook, but there are developers where I am not too positive I'll ever play a game by them that I like:
* Bioware: I have played Sonic Chronicles. Mass Effect 3 and Dragon Age Inquisition, none of them were any fun to me whatsoever. A few friends are bugging me to try out Mass Effect 1, but since I completely abhore both, game and world design from Mass Effect 3 (oh and as a huge Science-Fiction fan, I also hate the story) and see absolutely no saving grace for that game at all. Nothing that even remotely interests me.
* Traveller's Tales: The last game they made that I liked was Sonic R. It also was the only one. Numerous Lego games, Sonic 3D Blast and SMB Adventure all were supremely lackluster and shallow experiences for me, I highly doubt they'll put out something I like in the future.
* EA: Not a developer, but a publisher. They did publish Portal 1 (through Orange Box) and Portal 2, so obviously, they are not all bad for me, but their main output, consisting of sports games, a bad aproximation of arcade racing (open world shit), Sims and shooters, is uninteresting for me just by genre. They could be the best games ever in their respective fields, I'd still hate them.
* Blizzard: Diablo 1 & 3 felt like mindless skinner boxes to me (wander around, slash some enemies and collect random stuff that's good hopefully), WoW I've only played for a short amount of time, but found abysmal for similar reasons as Diablo, and StarCraft / WarCraft just are not my type of strategy game (I don't like building stuff)
* Media Molecule: I hate the floaty physics in LittleBigPlanet, I don't like the focus on gimmicks and narrative in Tearaway. They work in a genre I like (platformers), but if they don't seriously change their approach towards optimizing gameplay & mechanics before anything else, it's unlikely I'll like their output (Though Tearaway was at least playable, as opposed to LBP).
* Shooter-only teams like 343 industries, Infinity Wards, now Neversoft, Treyarch, Sledgehammer, Guerilla Games and so on produce shooters. I don't like shooters....

So a lot of developers where I highly doubt I'll like anything they do
Now this is a good post. :) That is exactly what I would out into my black list as well games that don't hold my attention. When I see it's from them I just move on.

None. Seems a bit silly, and a little reactionary. If you make informed purchases, odds are you won't be hugely disappointed.
I think putting them in the black book is informed. From trends and bad practices you can tell where their mindset is and you can make the informed action of putting them in the book

Ubisoft.

I know there's a lot of "If I like the game, I buy it" going on in here, and I respect that. I used to be that way with Ubi games. But Ubisoft is the only company to constantly burn me with every purchase.

- Withholding information from customers until after launch (like features)
- Buggy launches
- Terrible PR (Animation budget for female characters, 1080p debates, etc)
- Terrible Monetization practices.

It's a shame, too, because they just happen to have compelling IP. I'm a HUGE Far Cry fan, and because of how they treated the Far Cry multiplayer community, I boycotted the game. I'm not one to usually do that sort of thing, but this is a repeated activity from Ubi that I just couldn't stand for anymore. A terrible company. When even EA looks like a better company, you know you done fucked up.

This is why I also just not only look at compelling ips but who is behind them. It could be a great premise but who is making it will waste it. Like Sonic and the black knight, if Sonic Team has convictions and iterated they could have made that a compelling little side franchise they could fuck with but they dumped it and made dumb shit like Sonic Boom...

I haven't bought a game from ubisoft or EA in years. Mainly because they don't make games that I care about, but even if they did, I don't like the hoops they make you jump through (uplay, origin, season passes, etc etc) just to play a full game. Every time I played one of their games I felt like they were deliberately cutting content to monetize it or making me do things in an effort to nickel and dime me in some other way. Comes off as sleazy to me and I just don't like or support the practice.

That's not to say I don't like dlc or season passes, it's just that when they do it, I *FEEL* like i'm being ripped off. "This should have been in the base game and you're trying to charge me for it?" I basically don't buy games with sleazy DLC or publisher-based interfaces necessary to play the game. EA and ubi are the worst at this, but EA seems to be slowly crawling out of the hole they were in while Ubi keeps digging itself further down.

Exactly. Even when they DO make a good looking game... the thought of having to deal with their crap to play it discourages me from doing it.

Make a good game, make it easy for me to play it, don't nickel and dime me, and then we'll talk. Until then, there are PLENTY of other fish in the sea.
I agree completelt there are many other games, I would never consider it something I'm missing out on. There are not enough hours in a day to play everything.

More post like these guys. :)

bsod

Banned

Apparently willpower is a superhuman ability for a lot of people. Is it so hard to wait until a game comes out for impressions? It's not about having a lot of money, it's about being an intelligent consumer. Boycotting certain companies is just embarrassingly stupid. Not in its immature reaction to being presented with a bad game, but rather the mindset that comes from that. If you're boycotting certain companies, then what your'e doing is giving others benefit of the doubt. That's how Destiny happened. Instead of stopping and saying "Maybe I should wait and see if this game is good before spending my money on this, let me wait it out a few weeks," too many people blindly bought into marketing and hype and ended up disappointed. Yet a lot of people here who are "standing for their rights as a consumer" either has games already pre-ordered or will in the future.

Also, there's something rotten with your thinking process if you correlate not participating in boycotting game companies with "I'll buy whatever and not research anything!"

How about we treat each game in a case-by-case basis? It's not hard unless, like I said, you have no willpower..or you like to roleplay Rosa Parks.

the $60 asking price for video games these days

THESE DAYS, RIGHT GUYS?!

genesiscatalog-inflation-adjusted.jpg

bsod

Banned
THESE DAYS, RIGHT GUYS?!

genesiscatalog-inflation-adjusted.jpg

Shit. That was nothing. I remember looking at NeoGeo prices and trying to figure out how they were worth hundreds of dollars each.

You do realzie most people here probably popped in the ps1 -ps2 era.

And? A false statement is a false statement. Considering inflation, gaming today is in the lower end in terms of price. These things don't become irrelevant because you were too young to remember them.

I don't have a blacklist but certain developers and publishers I am much more cautious about buying their games.

Ubisoft, Activision, and recently the Dying Light developers are on my list of folks I don't care for, for various reasons.

ShinMaruku

And? A false statement is a false statement. Considering inflation, gaming today is in the lower end in terms of price. These things don't become irrelevant because you were too young to remember them.
People always put things in the context of now, which is why regardless of how prices are now and yesterday it's irrelevant.

bsod

Banned
People always put things in the context of now, which is why regardless of how prices are now and yesterday it's irrelevant.

$60 asking price for video games these days

You make no sense. This statement is clearly alluding to the belief that games today are more expensive than ever. I fail to see how bringing up the fact that games were more expensive in the past is irrelevant.

ShinMaruku

You make no sense. This statement is clearly alluding to the belief that games today are more expensive than ever. I fail to see how bringing up the fact that games were more expensive in the past is irrelevant.

I see no where were it says games today are more expensive as ever today. Also my point is to most people $60 is a good chunk of money regardless if it was around $75 to $80 long ago, the market and context are different now. And since when have people ever made sense? If sense was to be made half the grievances in society would be dealt with. But they are not because people are not rational actors.

Codeblue

Just because I'm not explicitly boycotting a publisher doesn't mean I buy shit games. I judge on a game by game basis. I'm not rushing out to buy Ubisoft DLC Bloatfest 7 but I'll still buy a Ubisoft game if all impressions I got of it look good, which is usually their more budget releases.

You could argue I'm boycotting Activison because I don't think I've bought a game from them in over a decade but in reality its just that they haven't made any games I care about. If they ever put something good out I'll buy it.

I still don't think developer/publisher history can be discounted. If you have a PS3 and thought Skyrim looked cool, it would have served you well to reflect on the quality of Bethesda's previous PS3 ports instead of looking at Skyrim alone.

Pattern recognition is not childish or having a chip on your shoulder like others in this thread (not you) are suggesting.

The_Lump

Banned
EA. Time and again they simply screw consumers over and time and again they ignore the backlash;
probably because time and again we cave and get roped back in the following year.
I've managed to break away from Madden finally, and I'm trying my damdest this year to resist FIFA!

There's a difference between "holding a grudge like a child" and no longer wanting to support an anti-consumer publisher.

As a consumer the only way to change things you perceive as wrong is to vote with your wallet. There's nothing petulant about it.

None.

It's video games; I don't hold grudges like a child.

Ding, ding, ding!

Ding, ding, ding.

eXistor

I don't have a black book, but anything Activision is pretty much guaranteed shit in my book. EA is also a "be wary" company and even more so Ubisoft, which has gone from respectable developer/publisher to an untrustworthy money-grubbing one. Gearbox have also squandered any goodwill they built up by releasing DNF and the whole Aliens: CM fiasco. Also their continued milking of Borderlands isn't very becoming.

Back in the day THQ and LJN were sure-fire misses. But if any of them make an actual good game, I'll buy it without hesitation. Dragon Age Inquisition, while far from great, was good enough for me to buy it day one. The first EA game in years for me.

I even bought 2 Ubisoft games last year: Child of Light and Valiant Hearts. Child of Light turned out to be a bit shit, but Valiant Hearts was great (not surprising since it's by Ubisoft's only competent studio).

Top Bottom