• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grim Fandango Remastered Trophies are up.

megalowho

Reading through those quotes and goals in the trophy list is getting me excited to replay this game again. Can't believe it's almost here.

Tank trophy is hilarious. First timers, skip that one unless you actually prefer that style of control.

Having played through REmake using both sets of controls at various places ... I've got to say, for simple navigation, a game that uses sharp, fast camera angle switches like GF and RE controls far better with tank controls.

There's just too much randomness and potential screwups between camera switches using direct control.

Lolling at the trophy description though

It's true! I started with the "new" controls in REmake, but had to switch to tank controls a couple of hours in.

Exodist

It's true! I started with the "new" controls in REmake, but had to switch to tank controls a couple of hours in.

I've played with tank controls plenty of times, but of curiosity I tried the new controls in the remake for about an hour, and they are fucking awful. You can't even run straight down a corridor so it just completely fucks up your movement when you change direction after changing an angle. Its just awful.

I've played with tank controls plenty of times, but of curiosity I tried the new controls in the remake for about an hour, and they are fucking awful. You can't even run straight down a corridor so it just completely fucks up your movement when you change direction after changing an angle. Its just awful.

Survival horror and tank controls go hand in hand for me, I always use the option when they are available, used them also in the Silent Hill HD collection, I tried the newer 3D controls mode and it just didn't flow right for me.

GeoramA

Platinum? Nice! I'll find time for it, hopefully. My backlog and the barrage of new games coming is really making it hard to 100% games lately.

What trophies are likely to be missable? Would rather just do the one play through

Assuming you're going to exhaust every conversation option with every character:

"Gets the aggression out, doesn't it?"
"Scaring the living is technically against the rules, but we all do it."
"ARROGANT FRAUD doesn't work."
"It shone, pale as bone..."
"Here, let me hold that metal detector while you cry."
"ME, ME, ME-ME-ME"
"Stop showing off for the girl."
"Oh, Lola..."
"Manuel, Is Everything OK?"

EDIT: From the other thread:
A lot of those are missable but you'll get them if you're playing like a proper adventurer. Talk to everyone, look at and/or use everything.

ArjanN

Absolutely. Tank controls are directly tied into the area and enemy design of Resident Evil. Grim Fandango is an adventure game with practically no timed elements so it doesn't matter either way.

Agreed. I don't even really remember any action or timing based stuff, maybe one or two puzzles, but 99% of the time you can take all the time you want, and you're not going to fall off ledges or anything.

Assuming you're going to exhaust every conversation option with every character:

"Gets the aggression out, doesn't it?"
"Scaring the living is technically against the rules, but we all do it."
"ARROGANT FRAUD doesn't work."
"It shone, pale as bone..."
"Here, let me hold that metal detector while you cry."
"ME, ME, ME-ME-ME"
"Stop showing off for the girl."
"Oh, Lola..."
"Manuel, Is Everything OK?"

Yeah, like I said in the other thread you can just make lots of manual saves anyway. As these all seem like very minor easter egg type stuff.

gelf

I love it, that trophy should have been in REmake. I don't think it matters as much in Grim Fandango and as much as I'll always defend tank in RE I think I'd prefer point and click controls for this style of game.

For Grim its
P&C > Tank > Camera relative

Thousands of people who have never experienced the game before will now enjoy it a bit less, just because Doublefine felt compelled to put that dumb trophy in there and players are compulsive about trophies. Not sure how I feel about that.

There ought to be a trophy for playing it with normal controls, just so people will play it the first time through using modern controls.

Those people ruin their own gaming experiences over trophies on a regular basis, this is nothing new and not Double Fine's making.

If you ask me, the chuckle I experienced reading that trophy's description is worth the hassle those fools are going to put themselves through.

I might be one of those fools.

gelf

There ought to be a trophy for playing it with normal controls, just so people will play it the first time through using modern controls.
The only new control scheme in the game is point and click which for the genre is an older control scheme. Tank vs what you call modern was always an option in the original. I still chose tank then.

Can we stop calling camera relative movement modern. Its existed as long as tank, it was always a development choice. This choice doesnt matter much for this game though as its not action based but personally fixed camera angles are easiest to navigate with tank.

The only new control scheme in the game is point and click which for the genre is an older control scheme. Tank vs what you call modern was always an option in the original. I still chose tank then.

Can we stop calling camera relative movement modern. Its existed as long as tank, it was always a development choice. This choice doesnt matter much for this game though as its not action based but personally fixed camera angles are easiest to navigate with tank.

I could be wrong but I am under the impression that initially, the 3D games that used static cinematic cameras placed throughout the environments (such as Alone in the Dark, Resident Evil, Bioforge, etc.) all featured tank controls and camera relative movement was only introduced to that type of game later.

It's not like Grim's controls were bad or anything, just a bit too slow for my tastes. if you want to play the game with tank controls you'll have a good time, it's what the game was designed around.

SerTapTap

There are way worse trophies. I kinda like it. Don't like tank controls, don't use 'em on your first playthrough. It's not like it's asking you to play 20000 online matches in tank controls

Anung

Un Rama
I was going to play it with tank controls anyway because they are the best. Really looking forward to this coming out.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
the louder you whine about an optional control scheme that keeps you from attaining full fake gamer glory, the further you inch up the spectrum.

inm8num2

Whats wrong with tank controls? There perfectly fine.

I agree. The main weakness was probably the slow turning speed, but I never found the controls to be as awkward or prohibitive as others did.

I'd guess that the Remastered version will either:

a) have the point and click interface as the default, or
b) ask the player which interface he/she wants, while recommending PnC for new players

Ivan 3414

http://www.exophase.com/game/grim-fandango-remastered-psn/trophies/

I guess there might be some spoilers in the link but it has a platinum and also this

QFbV7Zd.png

Its a gold as well.

Well that's pretty silly.

For a lot of people this trophy reads as "Enjoy this game less because I say so!"

JeTmAn81

I probably need to get this. I originally bought a copy in 1998 but didn't get to play much before I lent it to a friend and never got it back. Is it crossbuy between Vita and PS3?

stupei

The biggest problem with tank controls is if you're switching between that game and one that doesn't have them.

Which just makes it even more motivation to experience this classic for the first time all in one go. :)

Out in UK already? someone on my friends list is playing
Got my hopes up there. There's a page up already on the web store and the PS4 but no purchase option. Either it was up briefly and your friend got it at the right time or you're friends with Tim Schafer and you had no idea.

Or, if we want to be a realistic you're friends with a reviewer but I want to believe that there's a little Tim Schafer in all of us.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Got my hopes up there. There's a page up already on the web store and the PS4 but no purchase option. Either it was up briefly and your friend got it at the right time or you're friends with Tim Schafer and you had no idea.

Or, if we want to be a realistic you're friends with a reviewer but I want to believe that there's a little Tim Schafer in all of us.

2 friends are on it, so I must know a lotta reviewers :p

they're both gaffers

Never played this but love Tims other games. Am I in for a treat?

It's my favorite of the games I've played, which is why I'm looking forward to it so much.

What's the story in this game like? Really looks extremely interesting. Is there a plot twist of sorts? Are the characters good?

When you die, you don't go directly to Heaven or Hell, you go to a place called The Land of the Dead, also known as the 8th Underworld. The Grim Reaper isn't just a guy to guide you there, he's your travel agent, and depending on the kind of person you were in life, you get better or worse ways of getting to the 9th Underworld, or The Land of Eternal Rest, up to and including a ticket on the Number Nine, a train that gets you there in 4 minutes instead of 4 years.

Manny Calavera is a travel agent, but all of his clients have been busts recently, while his rival Domino has been getting great ones. In desperation, he steals a client, who is virtually a saint, but for some reason, she has no ticket coming to her. He gets in a lot of trouble with the Department of Death over it, but joins a resistance group trying to weed out the corruption in the DoD, find out where the Number Nine tickets are going, and also to rescue his client, who has gone missing.

Top Bottom