• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2015 RPG thread - A weak sequel but still a good year

Falk

that puzzling face
Disgaea 5 release this year on PS4. It should be on the list.

Oh right, English was announced Fall 2015!

Which also reminds me that The Awakened Fate Ultimatum (Guided Fate Paradox sequel-esque) comes out March in English. Although that's equal parts rogue-like and RPG.

Fixed Shallie, that was a Typo. But I think I always had Zestiria right?

Someone else in the thread said Zesteria. I had trigger warnings.

Those JRPGS though. This is why I need a PS4:

Bloodborne
FF Type 0 HD
Disgaea 5
Ys
Persona 5
Tales of Zestiria f (I reckon this will happen)
Yakuza 0 ( I might just import this)

Then you also have stuff like XCX and FEf. Too many games such little time.

Durante

Any additional confirmed information for the table at all for Persona 5? I added it, but it's extremely sparse right now.

Damn, lack of pics and write-ups definitely makes this thread a weak sequel :(. I hope that if you get some more free time you'll add in more Durante! I really loved seeing them all last year and referred to that list several times to check what was coming up.
Even if I have time, I don't really see the point in spending it gathering pictures and writing about games I don't care much for. As I said in the OP, if someone wants to do a small writeup for a game (in the same format and roughly the same size) they are more than welcome to!

Yeah, 2014 has absolutely nothing on 2015 for RPGs.
I couldn't disagree more. 2014 was the best year for RPGs in a decade, and it doesn't look like there's much hope for 2015 to match it. That's not to say 2015 is bad, at all, but 2014 was on another level.

2014 was absolute god-tier.

I can see how 2015 would be more exciting if you don't like cRPGs, or completely ignore PC exclusives, or if you honestly believe that Torment will release this year, but only then.

Any additional confirmed information for the table at all for Persona 5? I added it, but it's extremely sparse right now.

There's actually less information for it than there is in the table, since I don't believe that it's confirmed to be turn based or third person yet, although those are probably safe assumptions.

Violet_0

Banned
I remember Project Phoenix.

Japan's "indie RPG featuring AAA talent".

The "revival" of JRPG.

"Top developers" from the East and the West.

Achieved $1 million of $100,000 goal.

And then we get this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JixGwJ4YiLw

this kinda looks like a Warcraft 3 custom map. I dig the combat system though

What the hell are you smoking. In no way shape or form has this even be hinted at being in existence.
I think you need to check your Maya calendar again, it's coming is clearly foretold for this year

A weak sequel? If we get Persona 5 this year, along with Bloodborne, Xenoblade, Type-0 and the FF XV demo it's gonna be the best year in maybe a decade lol.

I think he was talking about the effort he put into his thread compared to last year's.
And I agree with you, this is probably one of the best years in RPG gaming since forever. I would even dare to say the best year since PSX days.

kswiston

I think he was talking about the effort he put into his thread compared to last year's.
And I agree with you, this is probably one of the best years in RPG gaming since forever. I would even dare to say the best year since PSX days.

Assuming we are mainly talking about JRPGs, 2006 says no. Hell, 2008 probably says no unless all of those 2015 releases are as good or better than the hype.

I couldn't disagree more. 2014 was the best year for RPGs in a decade, and it doesn't look like there's much hope for 2015 to match it. That's not to say 2015 is bad, at all, but 2014 was on another level.

I can see how 2015 would be more exciting if you don't like cRPGs, or completely ignore PC exclusives, or if you honestly believe that Torment will release this year, but only then.

Indeed. I don't play cRPGs myself, so for me 2014 was pretty weak. And this year could be the best in a long time for JRPG players like myself.

But 2014 had RPGs coming out left and right. To call it a weak year overall is just wrong imo.

Durante

Disgaea 5 release this year on PS4. It should be on the list.
Added.

Someone else mentioned it, but not sure if it counts since it's a rerelease. There is a significant amount of additional content added though. Details for Devil Survivor Record Breaker:

Party: Yes
Perspective: Isometric
Co-op: No
Structure: Linear
Time: TB
Positioning: Squares
Trees: Yes
Checks: Yes
World: Sort of, it's entirely menu driven outside of battles
Battles: No
Release: 2015, might be May, but not confirmed
Platform: 3DS
I'll just take your word for the added content being significant. Added.

Added.

I'll just take your word for the added content being significant. Added.

Guess I was a bit late, but I made a couple of mistakes in that post and edited it: there's no skill checks and dialogue trees is debatable.

It's being marketed as having almost an additional game's worth of content as a follow up to the original story.

Durante

Guess I was a bit late, but I made a couple of mistakes in that post and edited it: there's no skill checks and dialogue trees is debatable.

It's being marketed as having almost an additional game's worth of content as a follow up to the original story.
I was surprised by a JRPG having dialogue checks, but just thought "hey, innovation!". Fixed.

Assuming we are mainly talking about JRPGs, 2006 says no. Hell, 2008 probably says no unless all of those 2015 releases are as good or better than the hype.

If FFXV made it for 2015 then I would say its the best jrpg year in a decade without a doubt. I mean you're getting sequels to the greatest jrpg franchises in gaming: Final Fantasy, Bloodborne, Persona, XCX, Fire Emblem, Tales, Ys and Disgaea.

Well, that's the thing, I'm a JRPG fan.

Durante

I may check out this latest Atelier game. What I saw of them in the past turned me off, but I'm starved for JRPGs
What in particular turned you off? Shallie doesn't have the whole time management concept any more, which I know turned off some people.

Personally I find it a bit sad, as I always thought this part was one of the appealing things about the PS3 Ateliers:
9lx4p6lylf23.jpg

KorrZ

Even if I have time, I don't really see the point in spending it gathering pictures and writing about games I don't care much for. As I said in the OP, if someone wants to do a small writeup for a game (in the same format and roughly the same size) they are more than welcome to!

Can't at all blame you for that. Just really loved seeing them all last year - still really appreciate you making these threads!

kswiston

If FFXV made it for 2015 then I would say its the best jrpg year in a decade without a doubt. I mean you're getting sequels to the greatest jrpg franchises in gaming: Final Fantasy, Bloodborne, Persona, XCX, Fire Emblem, Tales, Ys and Disgaea.

I don't think that Fire Emblem and Final Fantasy XV will make 2015 in the west. I also don't think that we are guaranteed to get a good Final Fantasy game even if one releases. Tales releases are of varying quality as well. It's easy to be hyped for games that aren't out, which is why I remain cautiously optimistic.

I do know that 2006 saw Final Fantasy XII, Suikoden 5, Xenosaga Pt 3, Valkyrie Profile 2, Disgaea 2, Baten Kaitos Origins, Wild Arms 5, Grandia 3, Ys 6, Kingdom Hearts 2, and Tales of the Abyss. That is just sticking to "Out in North America" 2006 titles, and to the games that most people consider to be good to excellent.

I think that modern JRPG gamers are so starved for releases that getting 2-3 major titles in a year seems like the golden era reborn.

hemtae

Variety wise, your probably absolutely correct but I think Pillars of Eternity, Underrail, Age of Decadence, and Serpents in the Staglands will top everything from last year except maybe Divinity: Original Sin and Shadowrun. Although I know you have a particular fondness of Might and Magic X so that's probably the source of or disagreement.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Also I'll be doing my best to draw attention to the Avernum 2 re-make release when it comes up (soon-ish). Avernum 2 is probably the third best Spiderweb game after Geneforge 1 and Avernum 3 and I really hope some people give it attention

Durante

I don't think that Fire Emblem and Final Fantasy XV will make 2015 in the west. I also don't think that we are guaranteed to get a good Final Fantasy game even if one releases. Tales releases are of varying quality as well. It's easy to be hyped for games that aren't out, which is why I remain cautiously optimistic.

I do know that 2006 saw Final Fantasy XII, Suikoden 5, Xenosaga Pt 3, Valkyrie Profile 2, Disgaea 2, Baten Kaitos Origins, Wild Arms 5, Grandia 3, Ys 6, Kingdom Hearts 2, and Tales of the Abyss. That is just sticking to "Out in North America" 2006 titles, and to the games that most people consider to be good to excellent.

I think that modern JRPG gamers are so starved for releases that getting 2-3 major titles in a year seems like the golden era reborn.
Yeah, I agree with you on the JRPG front. Sadly, some of the best franchises are completely dead and buried (Suikoden, BoF, Valkyrie Profile). And what's worse, there hasn't really been much to take their place. I mean, think about the JRPG franchises created in the PS1 era. Or those created in the PS2 era. And then for PS3. It ain't pretty.

Perhaps we do need someone to revive the JRPG, but not with the cynical cash-grab that Project Phoenix seems to be turning out as.

For me, what has kept the genre alive over the past few years is the steady diet of Atelier games -- though those aren't even particularly representative JRPGs. At least this year there is more coming than that. Actually, maybe I'll upgrade Trails in the Sky SC to a 7/10 and write something about it when I finish FC.

flowsnake

Also I'll be doing my best to draw attention to the Avernum 2 re-make release when it comes up (soon-ish). Avernum 2 is probably the third best Spiderweb game after Geneforge 1 and Avernum 3 and I really hope some people give it attention

That actually already came out on January 14th, unless I'm looking at the wrong thing.

rybrad

I had forgotten about that Project Phoenix game, it really does look pretty bad which is rather disappointing after the Kickstarter hype.

Yeah, I agree with you on the JRPG front. Sadly, some of the best franchises are completely dead and buried (Suikoden, BoF, Valkyrie Profile). And what's worse, there hasn't really been much to take their place. I mean, think about the JRPG franchises created in the PS1 era. Or those created in the PS2 era. And then for PS3. It ain't pretty.

Perhaps we do need someone to revive the JRPG, but not with the cynical cash-grab that Project Phoenix seems to be turning out as.

For me, what has kept the genre alive over the past few years is the steady diet of Atelier games -- though those aren't even particularly representative JRPGs. At least this year there is more coming than that. Actually, maybe I'll upgrade Trails in the Sky SC to a 7/10 and write something about it when I finish FC.

PP isn't really cynical to me, more "completely out of their league" like Unsung Story is.

And with how the economy is in Japan, how mobile over there is heavily resistant to all but vague echoes of genres, and how PC is over there, it's no surprise really. It ain't no charity, ya know?

2-3? There's like 5 major JRPGs coming out in 2015. That 2006 list is very impressive though 2015 has sequels to a lot of those titles and for me Persona 5 and Bloodborne are at the top of my anticipated games list. People are excited since things are looking better than it was on the PS3.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
What in particular turned you off? Shallie doesn't have the whole time management concept any more, which I know turned off some people.

Personally I find it a bit sad, as I always thought this part was one of the appealing things about the PS3 Ateliers:

Nah time management is fine. I've seen some of the initial gameplay of, looking up, what appears to be Totori and Rorona and both seemed to be have lots of shrilly voice acted awkward comedy-not-comedy which I couldn't see myself putting up with for 20+ hours

Zukuu

Banned
Here we go again guys. Subbed.

Going through the list in a while.

What's the deal with Project Phoenix? Why is everyone turned off out of nowhere? I don't even remember if I backed it lol. Have nothing heard about it ever since the ks.

Nah time management is fine. I've seen some of the initial gameplay of, looking up, what appears to be Totori and Rorona and both seemed to be have lots of shrilly voice acted awkward comedy-not-comedy which I couldn't see myself putting up with for 20+ hours

I'd be down for management, but those first 3 PS3 games have this skeevy creeper lean to them I don't tolerate. I have heard, however, that Ayesha, E&L, and the Shallies don't, so I've been putting one of them on my "maybe" list.

I heard about Serpent in the Staglands a few weeks ago, and it looks damn good. Super excited for it, along with a few others in the list. Not excited for Witcher 3 though until I upgrade my computer.

Falk

that puzzling face
I'd be down for management, but those first 3 PS3 games have this skeevy creeper lean to them I don't tolerate. I have heard, however, that Ayesha, E&L, and the Shallies don't, so I've been putting one of them on my "maybe" list.

There's no more outright fanservice in those games than Valkyria Chronicles. Lots of moe and cute-girls-doing-cute-things, but that's about it.

(also remember Selvaria's hilariously awkward bouncing boobs in that one cutscene)

There's no more outright fanservice in those games than Valkyria Chronicles. Lots of moe and cute-girls-doing-cute-things, but that's about it.

(also remember Selvaria's hilariously awkward bouncing boobs in that one cutscene)

Well there are some hotsprings stuff. But those are optional anyway.

Ushay

Witcher 3 for Xbox One
Pillars of Eternity & Torment for PC.
Just missing PS4 for Bloodborne :((

Man I'm going to enjoy going back to PC again this year. As a huge Baldurs Gate fan I'm really excited for Pillars of Eternity.

I'm sorry, but that's bullshit. All the Atelier games are completely wholesome.

Eeeee-yah, ok. Anyways, those 3 are beyond my personal line for that stuff, so let's change the subject before it gets stupid (I regret pointing this out now...)

Holy CRAP! I hope that's just SUPER early test footage.

That's what I mean by out of their league. Some outfits don't really have the scope and management of ideas and people thing down, you know?

Durante

Eeeee-yah, ok. Anyways, those 3 are beyond my personal line for that stuff, so let's change the subject before it gets stupid (I regret pointing this out now...)
It's already stupid, since it's just an unsubstantiated claim you are making about games you apparently haven't even played. As others have pointed out, there's no difference in that regard between the Atelier games and series such as Tales. Or even Valkyria Chronicles (the first one that is, I'd argue that 2 has more fanservice than any Atelier game).

And for what it's worth, I know more female Atelier fans than any other JRPG series.

Busaiku

Can you provide the table entries for it? I'll add it.

Not entirely sure of roguelikes myself, but I'll try.
  • Party: Yes.
  • Perspective: Isometric.
  • Coop: No.
  • Structure: Not completely sure, says there are infinite dungeons (randomly generated) to explore, but I don't think you can do them out of order. Again, not familiar with roguelikes.
  • Battles:
    - Time: Turn based dungeon crawling, enemies move/attack when you do, but are stationary otherwise.
    - Positioning: Squares, I guess.
  • Dialogue:
    - Trees: Don't think so.
    - Checks: Don't think so.
  • Separate Maps:
    - World: Not sure, don't think so.
    - Battle: No
  • Release: April 7, 2015
  • Platform: 3DS
  • URL: http://www.atlus.com/etrianmd/
Sorry that's the best I can do.

Steel

Banned
And for what it's worth, I know more female Atelier fans than any other JRPG series.

Honestly, when I played Atelier Totori I got the distinct impression that the target audience was teenage girls from the aesthetic. There's very little sleeziness with those games.

Granted I didn't care for it much, the focus on crafting was interesting but didn't hook me.

It's already stupid, since it's just an unsubstantiated claim you are making about games you apparently haven't even played]. As others have pointed out, there's no difference in that regard between the Atelier games and series such as Tales. Or even Valkyria Chronicles (the first one that is, I'd argue that 2 has more fanservice than any Atelier game).

Eeeeee-yah. This firestorm of circular logic, hyperbole, and hair-splitting in the wake of mentioning it is why no matter how it's brought up.

Sorry everyone. :(

Durante

Right! I remember seeing that. Any ideas on table entries?

Not entirely sure of roguelikes myself, but I'll try.
  • Party: Yes.
  • Perspective: Isometric.
  • Coop: No.
  • Structure: Not completely sure, says there are infinite dungeons to explore, but I don't think you can do them out of order. Again, not familiar with roguelikes.
  • Battles:
    - Time: Turn based dungeon crawling, enemies move/attack when you do, but are stationary otherwise.
    - Positioning: Squares, I guess.
  • Dialogue:
    - Trees: Don't think so.
    - Checks: Don't think so.
  • Separate Maps:
    - World: Not sure, don't think so.
    - Battle: No
  • Release: April 7, 2015
  • Platform: 3DS
  • URL: http://www.atlus.com/etrianmd/
Sorry that's the best I can do.
Thanks, I'll add it.

Eeeeee-yah. This firestorm of circular logic, hyperbole, and hair-splitting in the wake of mentioning it is why no matter how it's brought up.

Sorry everyone. :(
My logic is not circular, that post didn't employ any hyperbole, and there is no hair-splitting going on.

You are simply wrong. Or perhaps "wrong" isn't the correct word, but at the very least "inconsistent".

Top Bottom