• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why was Resident Evil 1's voice acting so damn bad?

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
We laugh about it today, but it really kills the game in many ways for me. Although REmake wasn't exactly the best, either, it certainly was a giant step up from those fucking awful lines delivered in the original. Why and how did that game's voice acting come to be so bad?

Were the VAs encouraged to be campy?
Were they too inexperienced and simply did not know what direction to take?
Did they just say, "Fuck it, no one is going to give a shit about some game called Resident Evil"?

I mean, not to exaggerate, but I am certain that every single line delivered in this game is inappropriate to the mood and/or simply awful.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I think it may have been cast and acted in Japan, where the pool of English speaking voice talent is narrower than it is here. And I'm sure the direction was weak.

OH BARRY

FLAguy954

The game came out in '96 and there weren't many games around that had consistent voice acting at all, so I don't get the expectation that the voice acting was supposed to be good.

epmode

I don't know if this affected Resident Evil specifically but quite a few dubs were ruined by a low budget plus a Japanese voice director with a poor grasp of English.

edit: And yeah, fewer English speakers in Japan.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
It came out in a time when voice in games was still relatively new...and also typically bad.

That doesn't explain to me why each VA had to have awkward pauses in between words and placed emphasis on words that required no emphasis to begin with. New or not, why did a person suddenly behave unlike a person?

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
It came out in a time when voice in games was still relatively new...and also typically bad.

Pretty much. Most PS1 games at the time either had no voice acting, or the voice acting in it was really bad by today's standards.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
That doesn't explain to me why each VA had to have awkward pauses in between words and placed emphasis on words that required no emphasis to begin with. New or not, why did a person suddenly behave unlike a person?

There's a story about this... the voice director liked the sound of it... something... I can't really remember. Ask News Bot, sure he knows the whole story lol.

epmode

The game came out in '96 and there weren't many games around that had consistent voice acting at all, so I don't get the expectation that the voice acting was supposed to be good.
Professional VGVA's wasn't around in 1996.
Quite a few Western games had great voice acting before 1996. Just looking at Lucasarts' adventure games:

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (1992)
Maniac Mansion: Day of the Tentacle (1993)
Sam and Max Hit the Road (1993)
Full Throttle (1995)
The Dig (1995)

All of which put Resident Evil to shame.

Quite a few Western games had great voice acting before 1996. Just looking at Lucasarts' adventure games:

Full Throttle (1995)
The Dig (1995)

I don't remember Fate of Atlantis having voice acting? Was this on PC?

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member

Full Throttle (1995)
The Dig (1995)

Well yeah, but those games didn't have a Japanese Voice Director who didn't really have English as a native language.

epmode

I don't remember Fate of Atlantis having voice acting? Was this on PC?

Yeah, Lucasarts would often release a text-only version of their adventure games on disk along with a "talkie" release on CD. Fate of Atlantis definitely has a version with full voice acting.

They didn't get Harrison Ford.

Well yeah, but those games didn't have a Japanese Voice Director who didn't really have English as a native language.

Yeah, I mentioned that in an earlier post.

There are quite a few people that believe that great voice acting wasn't a thing until years after Resident Evil.

LiK

Japanese VO directors didnt understand how bad it was.

Even when I was kid playing it when it came out, I cringed at how bad the VO was.

REmake has better VO at least.

liquidtmd

Banned
Been eaten to death and laying in a bloody heap

"He's a mere shadow of his former self"

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa????

I'd imagine it's for similar reasons as to why english translations in old japanese games are full of errors. Done in house by people with a limited grasp of english.

Phediuk

There was virtually no budget for video game voiceovers in the 90s--especially for import games--so devs typically went with amateur or non-union actors.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
Barry definitely steals the show. I dunno, would we remember RE 1 as fondly if the voice acting was immaculate? On second though, I don't think the actual VA is all that bad. It's hard to work with mediocre material no matter how good you are.

jett

D-Member
I think it may have been cast and acted in Japan, where the pool of English speaking voice talent is narrower than it is here. And I'm sure the direction was weak.

OH BARRY

Yeah this is why.

Also, ever 90s Sega game that had voice acting.

liquidtmd

Banned
Barry definitely steals the show. I dunno, would we remember RE 1 as fondly if the voice acting was immaculate? On second though, I don't think the actual VA is all that bad. It's hard to work with mediocre material no matter how good you are.

Even just his voiced over announcement in the Live Video intro sticks in my head

*Deep Cheese Gravelly*...."BARRRRYY BURRRHTON"

Top Bottom