• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: 1080p/30fps on PS4, 900p/30fps on Xbox One

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Maybe because its not down to MS to tell the third party developer what they can and cant do.

Didn't stop them from doing so to Blizzard when they complained about the resolution of Diablo III on XB1.

maxcriden

Sincere question, how easily can the naked eye discern 900p vs. 1080p? How far away do you have to be from the screen for it to matter? Just curious as someone who is cool with 720p for most releases.

XB1 Version "Still being worked on".

Maybe dynamic resolution come launch day? Or maybe MS will send some engineers to the studio and sprinkle some DX12 sauce on it?

Whatever though...I'll take 900p as long as the frame-rate is solid and the effects are good.

lefantome

Sincere question, how easily can the naked eye discern 900p vs. 1080p? How far away do you have to be from the screen for it to matter? Just curious as someone who is cool with 720p for most releases.

from an appropriate viewing distance is easily discernible.

900p sucks.

Marlenus

Said less sharp than High setting on PC(so Medium more likely). And that's just textures, obviously.

With only one point of comparison it is hard to make a judgement. AA and AF will be worse on the console though. I hope that LOD and Draw Distance are being the main focus because the better they are the more immerssive it will be, having a slightly lower texture resolution or slightly worse shadows is worth the trade off if they can make the LOD and Draw Distance a bit better.

I would guess a mix of Medium / High, better than 900p at all high though, at-least in my opinion.

Apenheul

The OP mentions PS4 texture resolution being close to High settings on PC, not that the PS4 version is close to High settings in other areas too. I really doubt the PS4 version will look even close to the PC version on High.

Hoo-doo

Banned

On a 1080p display any non-native resolution is easily discernible.

So they aren't working on PC and PS4 anymore but on Xbox?
I hope Xbox version isn't what caused the delay, that would suck, but I could see it beeing the case since MS has marketing deal and might not want to big of a gap between Ps4 and XB1 version.
tinfoilhatmode

Orayn

No we didn't.

Previously it was said they were both 900p.

So this is great news.

I don't think they explicitly said 900p for both, just that they were aiming for 1080p30 on PS4 but weren't sure if they would reach it. Turns out they were able to, perhaps because of the extra time granted by the delay.

I am just going to wait for the DF review of this game before getting it on my PC or PS4. I know I can run it on both but I am the type of person where if I cannot get slightly higher graphics out of my PC I may as well just buy it for my console.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Lol, weren't the console versions supposed to be an absolute mess according to some "insider"?

Either way this is great news. Now I just have to decide if the exclusive cloth map in the XB1 Collector's Edition is worth more to me than the performance boost on PS4.

Mista

Banned
I still dont know whats the reason of not being 1080p of the X1 too

There's games that runs 1080p on the X1 which means its capable

Anyways im getting both versions to support my beloved CPR

Ape

Banned

There are also games that run at 60fps on the Xbox one, so shouldn't this game?

NoWayOut

Interesting. I will wait for official reviews and first impressions before deciding which version to get. If 1080p all maxed out on high end PC is not rock solid at 60fps I may consider getting it on PS4 at first and then on PC later on, maybe on a sale.

Can't wait to play this either way.

asmudge

Banned
The OP mentions PS4 texture resolution being close to High settings on PC, not that the PS4 version is close to High settings in other areas too. I really doubt the PS4 version will look even close to the PC version on High.

All other ps4 games do so this wont be any different.

Blobbers

How can this be? Microsoft just about closed the gap and as more and more games become equivalent to their PS4 counterpart, CDPR decides to underutilize the XBox One hardware this much? Kojima and CD Projekt have some explaining to do come Phil Spencer's next visit. I'd be livid.

ironcreed

Banned
Expected. But I'll probably still roll with the Xbox One version because I have so much more hard drive space. I prefer the controller as well.

We already knew it was running at 900p on Xbox One from E3. I believe they may still achieve 1080p on Xbox One if the current build the press played wasn't using the latest December XDK.

Orayn

The resolution really depends on each specific game's bottlenecks are. It could be eSRAM, fill rate, or a number of other things.

CozMick

Banned
How can this be? Microsoft just about closed the gap and as more and more games become equivalent to their PS4 counterpart, CDPR decides to underutilize the XBox One hardware this much? Kojima and CD Projekt have some explaining to do come Phil Spencer's next visit. I'd be livid.

DX12 has not been released yet. You'll soon see the gap completely closed, don't worry about it.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I wonder if there's anisotropic filtering? It's been absent from many a game this gen so far and with its open vistas, this game could really use it.

Game development is not the same for all games and studios...

You can't just say 'X game manages 1080p or 60fps, so why doesn't this game?'. It doesn't work like that.

Muzicfreq

Banned
JfwZDm3.gif

Thought it was for sure 900p PS4
Edit:Stupid tablet writting for me.

Top Bottom