• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Will Charge For Fuel (as a stamina bar) In Need For Speed: No Limits (Mobile)

Mobile games were great before f2p and IAPs
I find the most enjoyable ones are those without much barriers.
IAPs can be fine if you scale them to be fair. I find Hay Day does it well.
Personally I am really excited to play Puzzles and Dragons without a time limit.

If they still ended up making money regardless of the controversy, what lesson is there to learn other than to keep doing what they're doing?
The trend doesn't tend to sell though. Angry Birds Go! is the least profitable game Rovio has made.

bsod

Banned
It's not our job to keep people employed. It's the employers job to create compelling products that people want to pay for.

Which is what they're doing. The model is successful if it's being employed so many times by so many people. The problem is people are forcing their opinion on others. Not everything is for everyone.

Also, you can argue that this model is a result of consume reaction to traditional pay methods.

bsod

Banned
Yup. If they're talented they can go make games that aren't exploitative and creatively bankrupt.

Or you, could, you know, be an adult not not play it. I don't enjoy tennis but you don't see me railing on the sport as if my opinion was the only one that mattered.

The people who play them.

F2P games are profitable on mobile, it's that simple.

This is the only valid point.. Still makes it despicable and worth shaming.

Mobile is the wrong place to make serious games with depth and quality gameplay. Touch screen controls aren't suited to it, phone battery life isn't suited to it, and phone usage isn't suited to it. I wouldn't want to play Uncharted on touch controls at the dentist office.

Mobile is for flicking candies around. That's all I want it to be. Put the real games on console/PC.

I'm not suggesting we put The Last of Us on mobile. You're already drinking the koolaid if you can't imagine a micro experience that isn't made to spontaneously rape your wallet.

so it's just like any other f2p mobile game from any other company?
and yes it's shit like this that made me not want to touch mobe games, but let's not act like EA is doing anything out of the norm

the only thing we can do is hope (and vote with our wallets) that shit like this doesn't make it to non mobile/non f2p games and if it does, not buy it

F2P actually works when you lock desirable items behind a paywall.

F2P does not work when you can't play the game at all because of a paywall.

A better way to do NFS mobile would be to give you 3-5 boring cars to start, and charge you $1 for every additional car you download. Anyone who actually gives a shit about your game would end up paying a few bucks into the pool. You end up with 10s and 100s of millions in revenue this way. Instead of a system like this, where you have to pay constantly just to keep the lights on. So no one downloads it after the first week because word gets out that your game is bullshit.

Hurray for people losing their jobs because you don't agree with a monetization model!

If you make a shit product that no one wants, why should you have a job?

bsod

Banned
At this point I don't even blame them. This is the future the consumers chose.

Pretty much. They tried selling mobile games by making the entire price upfront but people didn't like it. On the other hand, the people who are more involved in mobile gaming react more favorably with with this model. Now you have a few people who don't play this games act like this is an affront to the art of gaming. Priceless.

If you make a shit product that no one wants, why should you have a job?

Did you climb on top of the highest wrong tree, fall, and hit every branch on the way down? People do want this. Maybe you or I don't, but people do. Gamers really need to learn that their point of view is not shared by consensus.

I wonder when mobile gamers will finally get tired of this shit.

I don't think the segment that those will ever get tired of it.

It's a strange phenomenon.

With the few mobile games I play, I just wait. The wait isn't that long and mobile games are best played in bite sized portions anyways.

I don't blame EA at all for wanting to capitalize. If someone was willing to hand me money for virtual fuel, I would offer them that option.

And this is why EA keeps winning the Worst Company award.

EA's not the first to do it, they're just following the crowd.

On a side note, when I read the thread title, it immediately made me think of arcades, where an extra quarter would get you another life or some boosts. Mobile gaming is turning into arcades of past, where games will be impossible unless you pump more money into it.

Com_Raven

Surprised to see so many many people shocked about this. Energy meters are a very common element in these kinds of F2P mobile games- and for the way most people play them (a few minutes a day) they actually don not pose much of an obstacle.

Seems to be the same case as with Dungeon Keeper- people react shocked because EA uses a business model that everyone uses on a beloved core franchise.

Ansatz

I wonder when mobile gamers will finally get tired of this shit.

This is like saying when will people stop eating fast food.

The next big thing is VR so it's not like things will get any better from a general perspective. I'll just support the devs and indies that output actual, quality games and accept reality.

bsod

Banned
EA's not the first to do it, they're just following the crowd.

On a side note, when I read the thread title, it immediately made me think of arcades, where an extra quarter would get you another life or some boosts. Mobile gaming is turning into arcades of past, where games will be impossible unless you pump more money into it.

Haha, that's an interesting point. I would how modern gamers would react to having to pay for each quarter/half in Blitz or NBA Jam.

A better way to do NFS mobile would be to give you 3-5 boring cars to start, and charge you $1 for every additional car you download.
I like that idea. Give you 3-5 cars with 1 cup. Then you can unlock the rest for $10.
Honestly I like PSN games because of that.

I don't understand how this type of game design became so prevalent and basically the standard for mobile.

Let's give games away, create artificial time barriers that serve no purpose but to prey on impulse buyers, and screw everyone else.

Must work though...
It mostly works because the people can try out the game for free then get addicted to it. When you are addicted, you can justify spending 1 dollar each time. Then you see your bill and you got $200 spent on one game. Best method is to never try out the games that do this type of stuff.

Rezae

I don't understand how this type of game design became so prevalent and basically the standard for mobile.

Let's give games away, create artificial time barriers that serve no purpose but to prey on impulse buyers, and screw everyone else.

Must work though...

Maxim726X

We bitch and bitch... And yet, they are still being made because of a few poor saps willing to pay for everything.

Sad, really. As long as this fucking garbage makes money, we will see more and more of it.

Must work though...

I guess it works because, like a previous poster said, the majority of mobile gamers just play a game for a few minutes a day, say when they're waiting between classes at school. So it doesn't really limit them. The perfect example is Clash of Clans, despite it making you wait ludicrous amounts of time to upgrade your base (sometimes even weeks) and them dangling gems infront of you saying 'hey, instantly upgrade your base for only five bucks with these gems!", people are okay with it because they rarely play the game longer than five minutes and usually just check up on the status of their upgrades and play a few missions or two occasionally while waiting.

Lol I can see the problem here, it's brazen. Usually the energy mechanics are kind of abstract, gems, energy that sort of stuff. Here they're like 'pay for virtual gas in our racing game!' It's hilariously evil. Imagine if street fighter charged you for every ha do ken or If call of duty charged for bullets.

We bitch and bitch... And yet, they are still being made because of a few poor saps willing to pay for everything.
Pretty much.
Whales encourage crappy game practices and scalpers.

Lol I can see the problem here, it's brazen. Usually the energy mechanics are kind of abstract, gems, energy that sort of stuff. Here they're like 'pay for virtual gas in our racing game!' It's hilariously evil. Imagine if street fighter charged you for every ha do ken or If call of duty charged for bullets.
I consider it modern day arcades. Like with DDR, you could only play 3 songs with a dollar. With this game, you can only race 3 tracks before a timer kicks in place.

everything wrong with modern gaming right here. Sadly popularity of f2p market (more like free to scam) is dictating where this industry is heading and it makes me sad. Gone are the days of NES, PS1,PS2 eras when you know devs actually released finished products and good games.

Reg

Banned
Holy shit! Shane Bettenhausen made a joke about this on 1up yours back in the day. The future is now.

bsod

Banned

They've already done this. It's called Call of Duty Online.

Kinyou

Welcome to mobile f2p games. Pretty much all of them are about microtransactions that let you skip long waiting times.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Ah, another game I won't be playing on mobile. Too bad. I get why developers do it, since so many people don't want to pay much for mobile games. But it still sucks.

SmokyDave

Holy shit! Shane Bettenhausen made a joke about this on 1up yours back in the day. The future is now.

CSR Racing, CSR Classics, Trials Frontier, Asphalt 8, Real Racing 3. Off the top of my head, they are all 'pay for fuel'. It's not new in any way, it's the standard stamina bar for F2P racers.

Jakoo

EA really should just have all of their mobile offerings under a different subsidiary name to distance themselves from these terrible decisions. Maybe it makes them money, but man, decisions like this continue to really destroy what little goodwill the brand has.

Bricky

Must work though...

south_park_freemium3.jpg

Top Bottom