• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games for practicing Japanese?

Meffer

My_Japanese_Coach_Coverart.png
Oh this looks like it be helpful, is it any good?

I'd been wanting to learn Japanese forever. Has anyone tried the Human Japanese app? I got the Lite version free, but how useful has it been for others and how far will that take me?

OP, I suggest that app but unfortunately I can't help for games.

Ohhh, must've missed this post. Thanks!

Thanks super helpful :)

You're welcome, guys. And I think one shouldn't learn just how to read Japanese. Reading/Vocabulary/Grammar, writing, listening, and speaking are all essential in learning a new language, and if you earnestly want to learn Japanese (even just to a basic level), I highly recommend not ignoring any one of these things.

Edit- oh, I didn't know Slime Forest Adventure would make Avast go nuts for you.

DualEdge

Oh this looks like it be helpful, is it any good?

I have this and it's one of my favorite tools for learning. The mini-games are good for repetition and learning, but it can still be challenging. I think it is best used as a supplement to another learning resource though.

Meffer

I have this and it's one of my favorite tools for learning. The mini-games are good for repetition and learning, but it can still be challenging. I think it is best used as a supplement to another learning resource though.
That sounds great! I use Imiwa along with books I have so this will help. Going to get this!

You're welcome, guys. And I think one shouldn't learn just how to read Japanese. Reading/Vocabulary/Grammar, writing, listening, and speaking are all essential in learning a new language, and if you earnestly want to learn Japanese (even just to a basic level), I highly recommend not ignoring any one of these things.

Edit- oh, I didn't know Slime Forest Adventure would make Avast go nuts for you.

Yeah it won't let me download either now as Avast is just saying no haha. Oh well I'll grab that 3ds training game to get the absolute basics down and go from there.

My 2 cents being a weabo in my teens, studying Japanese on the side in college, then doing an exchange in Japan. I've been doing translation work for 7 years now (not in the entertainment business) and currently live in Japan.

I do not recommend reading manga or playing games in Japanese unless you are currently studying or have passed JLPT Level 3 (I believe it's now classed N4?) level. Why? At lower levels of Japanese, your knowledge would be so limited that it would be a struggle to comprehend each and every sentence. You will not be able to understand much, EVEN with a dictionary at hand (been there, done that). The 20 minutes or so you use up trying to figure out a single sentence would be better spent studying the language.

The more you study the language, the less dependent you will be on a dictionary. And even if you need to use it, you will be more efficient in looking up words.

I took and passed all levels of JLPT (back when there were only 4 levels) and the level I was studying for was a good indicator of how much I understood Japanese. I had lots of manga and materials in Japanese even before I started studying and it was amazing to me how much more I understood as I progressed through the levels. Here's how each level measures up in a real-world scenario in my experience:

Level 4 (N5):
The lowest level, covered by most beginner Japanese classes. Teaches you hiragana, katakana, and 200 or so kanji. You learn basic sentences and stock phrases.
Real-world usage: Helpful if going as a tourist in Japan, but you will not be able to hold a meaningful conversation, read through a book, or play through a game without LOTS of effort.

Level 3 (N4)
Intermediate level. Here's where it gets interesting, because the grammar learned is what native Japanese use in every day life. At this level, reading manga and playing games in Japanese become enjoyable. Having learned the most common 500-600, kanji, you will depend less on a dictionary, and you will be smarter in figuring out meanings. You will also be able to hold a conversation.

A person can live in Japan for years and get by just fine with Level 3 proficiency.

Level 2 (N3-N2)
Upper Intermediate-Advanced. Japanese proficiency is honed to finer level. Having learned 1,000 kanji, you will have no problems reading and discussing on a wide variety of topics.

Level 1 (N1)
Advanced. After you reach the top, you will realize that there is so much more you need to learn about the language and might decide to throw in the towel.

NekoFever

The Japanese version of Shenmue is good. There's a lot of everyday Japanese and it also has a kids mode that replaces all the kanji with kana.

Cream

Banned
My 2 cents being a weabo in my teens, studying Japanese on the side in college, then doing an exchange in Japan. I've been doing translation work for 7 years now (not in the entertainment business) and currently live in Japan.

I do not recommend reading manga or playing games in Japanese unless you are currently studying or have passed JLPT Level 3 (I believe it's now classed N4?) level. Why? At lower levels of Japanese, your knowledge would be so limited that it would be a struggle to comprehend each and every sentence. You will not be able to understand much, EVEN with a dictionary at hand (been there, done that). The 20 minutes or so you use up trying to figure out a single sentence would be better spent studying the language.

The more you study the language, the less dependent you will be on a dictionary. And even if you need to use it, you will be more efficient in looking up words.

I took and passed all levels of JLPT (back when there were only 4 levels) and the level I was studying for was a good indicator of how much I understood Japanese. I had lots of manga and materials in Japanese even before I started studying and it was amazing to me how much more I understood as I progressed through the levels. Here's how each level measures up in a real-world scenario in my experience:

Level 4 (N5):
The lowest level, covered by most beginner Japanese classes. Teaches you hiragana, katakana, and 200 or so kanji. You learn basic sentences and stock phrases.
Real-world usage: Helpful if going as a tourist in Japan, but you will not be able to hold a meaningful conversation, read through a book, or play through a game without LOTS of effort.

Level 3 (N4)
Intermediate level. Here's where it gets interesting, because the grammar learned is what native Japanese use in every day life. At this level, reading manga and playing games in Japanese become enjoyable. Having learned the most common 500-600, kanji, you will depend less on a dictionary, and you will be smarter in figuring out meanings. You will also be able to hold a conversation.

A person can live in Japan for years and get by just fine with Level 3 proficiency.

Level 2 (N3-N2)
Upper Intermediate-Advanced. Japanese proficiency is honed to finer level. Having learned 1,000 kanji, you will have no problems reading and discussing on a wide variety of topics.

Level 1 (N1)
Advanced. After you reach the top, you will realize that there is so much more you need to learn about the language and might decide to throw in the towel.

Thank you so much for the advice. This falls in line with what I assumed. The teaching resources I am currently using are supposed to get me up to the Upper Intermediate level.

Rnr1224

After learning Spanish for around 5 years and then German for another, I finally want to learn a language that I am interested in. Really want to learn japanese but I dont really have any idea where to start lol

elhav

After learning Spanish for around 5 years and then German for another, I finally want to learn a language that I am interested in. Really want to learn japanese but I dont really have any idea where to start lol
First things first, learn hiragana and katakana. Use mnemonics to learn how to read and write them. Then start learning basic grammer, as in how to use particles etc.

As you are learning and expanding your vocabulary, you will start recognizing kanji, but before you start learning how to write every kanji, start with radicals. Learn radicals first, and they will make it very easy for you to recognize and write kanji.

I personally recommend two sites for grammer and kanji. Those being imabi, and kanjidamage.
Though start with a site that gives good mnemonics for hiragana and katakana before jumping to these sites. Good luck :)

Oh yeah, I started learning with Japanesepod101 and they are pretty good at explaining grammer and japanese culture while making the lessons interesting thanks to the dialog in their conversations. They are especially good for beginners, so they are a safe bet. Though don't use them for kanji learning, they are not good with that so much.

Top Bottom