• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A few details about Witcher 3 save game importing

GavinUK86

On the GOG livestream http://www.twitch.tv/gogcom the devs just revealed a few details about how importing your Witcher 2 save will work.

Without spoiling too many details they said you will speak to a certain someone near the beginning of the game, who happens to be male and sings, (Dandelion?) who recounts your previous adventures and Geralt will be able to interrupt and correct him on certain plot details which will act as a simple way to adjust the world state.

They said this is the best way they they could think of to do it if you were coming from a different platform plus it fits within The Witcher universe.

They didn't elaborate for gamers going from PC to PC and whether just having the save on your system is good enough or this is the way everyone will do it.

Will update if they let anymore slip.

If you missed the stream it'll be archived here: http://www.twitch.tv/gogcom/b/616385328

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Without spoiling too many details they said you will speak to a certain someone near the beginning of the game, who happens to be male and sings, (Dandelion?) who recounts your previous adventures and Geralt will be able to interrupt and correct him on certain plot details which will act as a simple way to adjust the world state.

Fuck yeah, sounds even better than an interactive comic. Very good way. Every detail sounds so, so awesome.

That is a very inventive way to address the choices you made if you're coming off the 360 version, or played the other ones on a different platform.

I recently just beat the Witcher 2 on the 360, so the choices I made are still rather fresh. I'm thinking of purchasing the first one steam if it never gets ported to any platform.

Also the books, if Metro taught me anything the books will be the meat of the story.

That is a very inventive way to address the choices you made if you're coming off the 360 version, or played the other ones on a different platform.

I recently just beat the Witcher 2 on the 360, so the choices I made are still rather fresh. I'm thinking of purchasing the first one steam if it never gets ported to any platform.

Also the books, if Metro taught me anything the books will be the meat of the story.

Not really inventive, Kotor 2 did that and ME2 did it also on top of my mind

TheMoon

They didn't elaborate for gamers going from PC to PC and whether just having the save on your system is good enough or this is the way everyone will do it.

So there are actually NO details on save game importing. :(

Nzyme32

On the GOG livestream http://www.twitch.tv/gogcom the devs just revealed a few details about how importing your Witcher 2 save will work.

They said this is the best way they they could think of to do it if you were coming from a different platform plus it fits within The Witcher universe.

If you missed the stream it'll be archived here: http://www.twitch.tv/gogcom/b/616385328

PC saves simply transfer straight into the Witcher 3, but consoles have some solution to allow you to select what you did previously in the Witcher 2. It isn't a menu or anything like that, but something elegant, i'd guess in game.

Not really inventive, Kotor 2 did that and ME2 did it also on top of my mind

No ME2 was more direct import aside from that 15 minute comic that briefly sums the first game (while completely skipping feros) on the PS3 and the entire trilogy got released on the PS3 eventually so there was also that.

It's inventive for the Witcher series as the PC is the only platform where you can play all three games.

Never played Kotor 2 so I have no comment towards that one.

Terra_Ex

PC saves simply transfer straight into the Witcher 3, but consoles have some solution to allow you to select what you did previously in the Witcher 2. It isn't a menu or anything like that, but something elegant, i'd guess in game.

I hope they still allow the option to customise on PC, I have loads of W2 saves but I couldn't say for sure which choices I made in each game. Like you could import your W1 save into W2 on PC and it'd affect your relationship with the order of the flaming rose, but you'd only know if you selected the "right" save much later.

I really do wonder how the different endings will affect the game because they were actually surprisingly varied with there being two very different endings.

Tacitus_

Hope importing has some consequences this time, in 2 there were a couple changes at most.

I dunno, you could get some massive differences on how the northern kingdoms were at the end of W2. I think I'll start with my "everyone is fucked" save just to see if I managed to fuck up them over completely.

misho8723

Banned
I hope they still allow the option to customise on PC, I have loads of W2 saves but I couldn't say for sure which choices I made in each game. Like you could import your W1 save into W2 on PC and it'd affect your relationship with the order of the flaming rose, but you'd only know if you selected the "right" save much later.

Yeah, that option with that guy (Dandelion?) is going to be in the PC version too.. because not everyone has played the previous games on PC, and/or many people who played the previous maybe have lost their saves.. so it would be a stupid idea to not include that option in the PC version

Not what I wanted to hear. My saves better carry over or I will cut someone. I hope they don't pull a mass effect on us, there were some huge choices in TW2, some of which happened right at the end so it stands to reason that their impact will be felt in TW3.

GavinUK86

I already stated what the process is for creating your save.

misho8723

Banned
Not what I wanted to hear. My saves better carry over or I will cut someone. I hope they don't pull a mass effect on us, there were some huge choices in TW2, some of which happened right at the end so it stands to reason that their impact will be felt in TW3.

You are going to be able to carry your saves from W2 manually to W3.. the option with Dandelion (or who it's going to be) is for people who didn't played W2 or they lost/deleted their own saves

Tigress

You are going to be able to carry your saves from W2 manually to W3.. the option with Dandelion (or who it's going to be) is for people who didn't played W2 or they lost/deleted their own saves

Form what I heard you are going to be able to if you played it on PC and you are playing it on PC again. The option with the bard is for those who are playing the game on the consoles this time (there is no way to import a save game to the console, PC or xbox 360).

JerkShep

I dunno, you could get some massive differences on how the northern kingdoms were at the end of W2. I think I'll start with my "everyone is fucked" save just to see if I managed to fuck up them over completely.

Oh yes the end of The Witcher 2 can be massively different depending on your decisions, not considering them in the sequel would be an enormous disappointment. But I'm wary, you could import your saves from Witcher 1 in 2 but just a couple choices had some relevance in the game (
Adda's fate and what happened to the Flaming Rose
)...and I'm very generous here, because the first one is barely mentioned.

I don't know if the quote is wrong but it clearly says that just having the save might not be enough. What I'm saying is that I want the game to import my save and adapt to the choices made in that save. Having to go through that process with Dandelion even when you import a save doesn't make sense and makes me worry that it will be a way to limit us to just a few key choices determined by them and that the stuff that isn't mentioned by Dandelion will be thrown in the garbage bin.
It seems like a way of controlling what is relevant and what isn't.

misho8723

Banned
I don't know if the quote is wrong but it clearly says that just having the save might not be enough. What I'm saying is that I want the game to import my save and adapt to the choices made in that save. Having to go through that process with Dandelion even when you import a save doesn't make sense and makes me worry that it will be a way to limit us to just a few key choices determined by them and that the stuff that isn't mentioned by Dandelion will be thrown in the garbage bin.
It seems like a way of controlling what is relevant and what isn't.

Well, ofcourse the only important choices are going to be those which is going Dandelion to sing.. but you don't know how many of them are going to be.. I'm ok if there are going to be atlest some and if they would play some part in the story or world.. you can't ask them to do all choices from W2 to carry on in W3 - there were like 16 ending states in W2? That is way too many work for any company.. not to mention all those people who are killed or live at the end in W2.. I just hope that they don't do it like in the case of saves from W1 to W2

Mifec

Yeah, that option with that guy (Dandelion?) is going to be in the PC version too.. because not everyone has played the previous games on PC, and/or many people who played the previous maybe have lost their saves.. so it would be a stupid idea to not include that option in the PC version

They said on twitter 2 days ago that it's gonna be in PC too yeah.

misho8723

Banned
Form what I heard you are going to be able to if you played it on PC and you are playing it on PC again. The option with the bard is for those who are playing the game on the consoles this time (there is no way to import a save game to the console, PC or xbox 360).

..or for those people on PC who are playing a Witcher game for the first time too (or for people who played W2 on PC but for whatever reason they don't have the saves from it)

Top Bottom