• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Keiichir Toyama is one of the best in this industry. Why so little love ?

Keiichirō Toyama is the creator of Silent Hill universe ( yes the first one so the most important ), of the Siren IP ( one of the best survival horror series with a lot of very good ideas and a fucking awesome atmosphere ) and of Gravity Rush

However i don't see his name in a lot of thread, some people just don't know him i think.

He is working at Sony Japan... i mean.. The creator of Silent Hill is in Sony's house it's just awesome !!

Sony should give to this man everything he wants to make AAA games....

nusilver

Keiichirō Toyama is the creator of Silent Hill universe ( yes the first one so the most important ), of the Siren IP ( one of the best survival horror series with a lot of very good ideas and a fucking awesome atmosphere ) and of Gravity Rush

However i don't see his name in a lot of thread, some people just don't know him i think.

He is working at Sony Japan... i mean.. The creator of Silent Hill is in Sony's house it's just awesome !!

Sony should give to this man everything he wants to make AAA games....

I'm no fan of either Silent Hill or Siren, but Gravity Rush is one of the best games I've played in the past 5 years. Unfortunately, it was a Vita exclusive, and thus just didn't sell enough copies. That's why more people don't talk about him.

But you're right, not enough people are aware of his genius :)

I vaguely know of him, but have to admit that's a damn good resume. Can't wait for Gravity Rush 2, and I think now would be a good time to bring back the Siren franchise for Sony. Maybe put it on Morpheus and make seeing out of the creatures' eyes (are they called the Shibito) really damn immersive.

Siren is niche and its a shame that few recognise his direction in Silent Hill. He definitely has a knack for horror games but its Gravity Rush that really made me aware of him and his talents. Its something he's been wanting to do for ages too iirc.

Dunan

I loved everything about Gravity Rush and had never heard of Toyama until I played it. Can' wait to see what he does with the Gravity Rush sequel.

A-V-B

Really, the entirety of Team Silent's core is a rock supergroup. And to think Konami split them up (or so I've heard.) Like they had no idea who they had working for them. That sort of talent almost never shows up in that concentration.

How strange he went from silent hill and siren to gravity rush. Kind of makes sense though, wanting to do something more light hearted. I hope he returns to horror after gravity Rush 2 though.

How strange he went from silent hill and siren to gravity rush. Kind of makes sense though, wanting to do something more light hearted. I hope he returns to horror after gravity Rush 2 though.

If I'm not wrong, I remember him saying that he was actually not so fond of horror games. He was basically asked by SCEJ to create a new horror game (Siren) after his work on Silent Hill. But he said that Gravity Rush was actually is dream game from the beginning. I can't wait about Gravity Rush 2, mais in the same time I would kill for a Siren 3 with an atmosphere as incredible as Siren 2.

Needs to release more games consistently.

Since he's been a project lead:

Silent Hill - 1999 - Director, writer, background designer
Siren - 2003 - Director, writer
Forbidden Siren 2 - 2006 - Director, designer, writer
Siren: Blood Curse - 2008 - Director, designer, writer
Gravity Rush - 2012 - Creative director, designer, original concept, initial story
Gravity Rush 2 - TBA - TBA

Taken from Wikipedia. 6 games in 16 years is more than one new game every 3 years on average, which seems pretty consistent by this industry's standards.

The man responsible for Silent Hill and Gravity Rush deserves all the love he can get. May you dutifully deliver with Gravity Rush 2 you crazy diamond.

Caronte

That's what happens when you work for a company that sends their games to die with no marketing (I'm sorry but it is true as much as I like Sony's first party teams).

Nestunt

I consider him one of the top 10 japanese developers of all time

but I see why he doesnt come up more often. Silent Hill and Siren are a very particular genre of game and Gravity Rush was launched in a machine with a smaller install base

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
his problem is SCEJ and Japan Studio, he need to get out of there and go work for a better studio/publisher and make more games.

his problem is SCEJ and Japan Studio, he need to get out of there and go work for a better studio/publisher and make more games.

I disagree; I think Sony is one of the best and most interesting of the big publishers. While Japan Studios have been pretty bad for several years now, I think we should give Becker the benefit of the doubt and a bit of time to sort them out. Let's see what they can deliver in the second round of their PS4 releases before we write them off altogether.

Never played any of the Siren games, didn't play Silent Hill past 2. Gravity Rush is locked in the Vita vault. Maybe as he develops more stuff he'll earn more of a reputation.

He's at the top of my personal video game heroes list and I wonder why he gets so little recognition as well. Silent Hill was obviously very influential, Siren is the best traditional survival horror series out there, and Gravity Rush was just magical.

Guymelef

iirc on a past interview Yoshida said that Toyama and Yamauchi are "untouchables" they give them all the time they need.

Solid Raiden

Neo Member
I loved the first Silent Hill, couldn't get into Siren, and enjoyed Gravity Rush for the flawed experience that it was. I actually still need to finish GR.

SH is amazing, Siren is amazing, and GR is most definitely amazing.

Did not know he was the one that made GR btw, cool to know. This man indeed deserves respect.

Did we ever find out what PS4 game Kazunobu Sato is working on ?

The PS4 will finally be released in Japan in 2014. Since Japanese fans didn’t have much time to touch one, I’d like to tell them that the DualShock 4 is wonderfully nice to hold! And I know, because I am myself involved in the production of a PS4 title.

It was gravity rush all along

Zia

He's definitely a bit of an auteur, but he left Team Silent before The Best Silent Hill (2) and Siren and Gravity Rush, while both good, interesting games, are both pretty flawed. I think he receives an appropriate amount of attention relative to his output.

I like Siren 2 even more than Siren 1 to the point that I actually imported a copy since it's not released in NA. Siren 1 has the more interesting story IMO, but Siren 2 has much better gameplay & is not quite as frustratingly difficult. The 3rd game (the one on the PS3) is fun too & has the best visuals & the lowest difficulty out of all of them, but it's drastically smaller scale than 1 & 2, and doesn't really do anything too original or clever compared to the earlier games (you can tell they had a smaller budget to work with).

The first two games are both at the pinnacle of the survival horror genre. If you like horror games & can handle the difficulty, they're must-plays.

Toyama really has a fascinating mind & I completely agree- he needs a spotlight.

Sorry, Vita fans, but Gravity Rush deserves a larger audience. It's just that good.
A PS4 up-port (ala Tearaway) this fall to pull people in, followed by a Gravity Rush 2 for the PS4 in 2016 could be big and really get a more broad userbase to take notice of Toyama.

I'm not port begging (as I have purchased the Vita version), simply stating an opinion on what I feel would benefit this promising series.

Of course I'd love for Toyama to also create a new horror IP. Siren (PS3) was really good & a significant improvement over the first PS2 game, but I'd love to see him team with Sato, Ito, and/or Yamaoka & do some really abstract, mid-tier/low risk horror title.

Toyama really has a fascinating mind & I completely agree- he needs a spotlight.

Sorry, Vita fans, but Gravity Rush deserves a larger audience. It's just that good.
A PS4 up-port (ala Tearaway) this fall to pull people in, followed by a Gravity Rush 2 for the PS4 in 2016 could be big and really get a more broad userbase to take notice of Toyama.

I'm not port begging (as I have purchased the Vita version), simply stating an opinion on what I feel would benefit this promising series.

Of course I'd love for Toyama to also create a new horror IP. Siren (PS3) was really good & a significant improvement over the first PS2 game, but I'd love to see him team with Sato, Ito, and/or Yamaoka & do some really abstract, mid-tier/low risk horror title.

I agree. I love the first Gravity Rush and while I'd like to see a sequel on Vita, the reality is that it will have a much better chance of success if it's on the PS4. It could well be on both (to appeal to Vita owners in Japan, PS4 owners in the west), but in a way I hope it's not as I don't want the Vita holding back the potential of a fully PS4 exclusive GR2.

UrbanRats

He's one of my favorite game designers.
Too bad he's stuck in the Vita swamp, i think that's part of why he hasn't gotten full recognition yet.

Endo Punk

First I'd like to say Siren and GravityR are great games but honestly they are not these gigantc genre defining experiences that Silent Hill 1 was, that's why he has kinda faded into the background since then. He needs to be given AAA budget and free rein to create something spectacular.

Another thing, if Sony is involved somehow with Silent Hills I really hope Kojima gets Toyama on board, nothing like getting the franchise back on track by having the og creator in at least an advisory role.

Top Bottom