• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that tastelessly overuse graphical gimmicks

Danneee

Bloom in the Syndicate fps. It made the game unplayable for me, only game where a graphical effect ruined the whole experience.

I was surprised Far Cry 3 SSAO hasn't been mentioned yet.

screenshot2012-11-27a5up1z.png

Wow I was not aware of that the knob goes to 11 >_<

stay gold

I've been playing Advanced Warfare recently after not touching COD for a few years. I'd forgotten how obnoxious their blood splatter effect is. Shit looks like someone smeared strawberry jam over every inch of my tv.

GHG

Forza 5 sun shafts:

ofaejbb.png

Can't see shit captain.

Wtf were they thinking? Almost ruins the game in cockpit mode.

Lijik

Lately it seems like almost every 2D indie game is using the "paper doll" rig to animate the characters rather than actually animating the sprites using hand-drawn frames. It obviously saves a lot of time, and results in smooth movements, but if not done properly it can look really cheap and lifeless. I get that redrawing the character for every frame is too time-consuming when doing very detailed sprites, but a lot of the time the characters aren't even that detailed to begin with!

It really puts into perspective just how well done the animations in the Rayman games are after playing games like Super Frog HD or the Prehistorik reboot that go for a similar look

DocSeuss

I loathe games that try to be "realistically dark," which apparently means "eyes that can't adjust to darkness in any meaningful way, so you're basically stuck looking at something that's way darker than it realistically would be."

Rafterman

Banned
This game legitimately made me stop liking FPS for a while, until I found Counter Strike again.

Moving foliage, fog, sweat, lens flare, dirt spots, flashlights blinding you, lasers blinding you.

All that plus the huge levels = could never spot enemies, just wondering around forever, no wonder all that people played was Metro level where it was just halls of chaos.

Those are the things that make it great. It's not an easy mode, your enemies stand out like a sore thumb, and nothing ever effects your aim or crosshairs, press LMB to kill shooter.

Bloom (still) and chromatic aberration are the two things that stick out to me as typically shitty in games these days.

epmode

Chromatic aberration is by far the worst effect in modern games. I can see its use in limited situations, like when you're actually supposed to be looking through a shitty camera's lens or for certain special effects (see: Teleglitch) but it's a disaster in virtually every other situation.

I also get annoyed by depth of field effects when used outside of directed cutscenes. Don't tell me where I want to focus my eyes, game. The Phantom Pain is especially bad with this, frequently blurring out the incredible player model/textures.

DOWN

Banned
The order used it because of perfomance reasons.

Uh, not only. Performance was a smart positive side to it, but it is a different composition ratio and other games have used it, along with the whole GAF thread about it, and most movies

tuxfool

Banned
Uh, not only. Performance was a smart positive side to it, but it is a different composition ratio and other games have used it, along with the whole GAF thread about it, and most movies

True enough. The developers were looking into removing it, if possible, meaning the ratio wasn't that critical for "framing" purposes.

DOWN

Banned
I enjoy the 21:9 aspect ratio, but only on my 21:9 screen. I hate being forced to have a 21:9 ratio displayed on my 16:9 TV because the device the game is running on can't output 21:9 ratios otherwise I'd hooked it up to my 21:9 screen.

Hence why I used the word "forced" ;) Don't use a 21:9 ratio if the device it's going to run on can't output that ratio, if you do at least give us the option to render it in 16:9 (I'd gladly take a graphical hit for that). Otherwise I'll just skip your game no matter how great it might be.

Yeah, for people who would actually play it on a 21:9 screen it's a downer, but since it is made for PS4 which is generally a 16:9 and the segment who owns actual 21:9 screens is relatively very small. Obviously they would have discussed this since they are using it in a rather uncommon way as both a composition element and a performance enhancer, and decided the downsides were too low compared to their interests in using it.

Metal-Geo

I would love to see an example of this (especially done poorly) if you don't mind providing one.

Seconded. I'm not really grasping what that poster means.

I think the poster is talking about characters/objects like in Rayman Origins/Legends, Valiant Hearts (and probably countless others) where 'sprites' are made out of multiple sprites and put together much like a pin puppet. Each sprite mainly rotating around its axis. In contrast to sprites where each frame is drawn separately.

Fucking color filters, worse offenders:

Codemasters and DICE

Piss filter
Race+Driver+GRiD+4.jpg

Battlefield 3 with and without the blue color filter, thank God you can mod it out on PC.

maxresdefault.jpg

Other offender:

Deus Ex:

deus-ex-modded-unmodded-comparison.jpg

just why!????

Do color filters count as gimmicks?

Halo 2 Anniversary has some terrible maps with terrible color filters.

Examples:

Both have this terrible red filter on them. Looks so ugly.

RAGE was ATROCIOUS about it's colored filters, so much so it put me off playing the game entirely for a time.

One of the first enemy areas I went into suddenly just turned everything green, even the black shadows!
Green:
Blue:

It's a damn shame too, because the game can look gorgeous when it doesn't apply a shitty color filter over the screen in a lazy attempt to add atmosphere.
Little to no filter:

Color filters and chromatic aberration need to be an option that you can turn off in the settings for all games that have them.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Color filter is a great choice. RE5 without a filter for the most part looks much, much better.

filter_comparison_by_aloooo81-d8fnesf.jpg

Gravidee

Hate this shit so much. Made few games unplayable for me, like for example one of the Call of Juarez games. I've also died several times, because of it in ME 3 MP :\

Excessive CA is another offender.

The game that this made the most gameplay sense in was Metroid Prime 3. You actually felt, "shit, gotta get out of hyper mode before it's too late!"

spliced

The weird shimmering (or whatever it's called) in Dark Souls. It's at it's eye torturing worst in Lost Izalith, but it's there throughout the whole game.

I would love to see an example of this (especially done poorly) if you don't mind providing one.

I don't want to name names (they are indie developers after all) but if you look up tools like Spine and Spriter you can see what I'm talking about. Basically they are taking something which should be used to make animating big bosses or incredibly detailed sprites possible, and using it on tiny player characters and enemies simply because it's faster and easier to do.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Blood spatter, as a method to convey your health level. It's a trend that I just don't understand how it took off.

Blood spatter, as a method to convey your health level. It's a trend that I just don't understand how it took off.

Neither do I. Not only does it obscure your vision, but it also doesn't provide a clear indicator as to how close to death you actually are. Just a terrible mechanic overall. I'm glad that Wolfenstein: The New Order bucked it in favor of the oldschool numerical system, which is better in pretty much every way.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
The weird shimmering (or whatever it's called) in Dark Souls. It's at it's eye torturing worst in Lost Izalith, but it's there throughout the whole game.

Do you mean...aliasing? that's not a graphical gimmick. That's a limitation of hardwares capability to render software. Unless you mean specularity? Specular highlights are an effect to make things appear to have a gleam or shine to them.

Like this

edit: actually heres an example from the actual game in question.

Do you mean like how the pillars in this area look shiny?

data_2014_01_30_23_24_19_28_by_aloooo81-d8fnpo3.jpg

JordanN

Banned
Piss Filters
Bump mapping
Chromatic Aberration
Bloom
SSAO

I think subsurface scattering is next. Get ready for human characters who look closer to wax than actual human skin.

UKbLHTS.jpg

Hahs

I distinctively recall when Quake 4 came out, and people modded the game to increase the specularity of the normals by like 200-300% in order to "improve" the graphics.

I couldn't believe people genuinely thought that looked better. It was like everything was covered in vaseline which is the typical result of overindulgence in normals.

Vaseline!! Fucking hilarious!!

I noticed some assets in those old UDK titles appeared lubed up as well.

tuxfool

Banned
I think subsurface scattering is next. Get ready for human characters who look closer to wax than actual human skin.

Subsurface scattering is already in vogue. I'm under the impression that it makes skin look closer to reality vs the previous waxy models.

This is going to disappoint people, or they won't believe it, but the honest truth is because players too often don't realize they're being damaged/hurt. You wouldn't believe how many playtests have players dying and wondering how the hell it happened, that they had no idea they were getting hit, and so on.

The response to such focus tests is to hit the player over the head with the fact that they're taking damage, otherwise the metrics don't look right.

JordanN

Banned
Subsurface scattering is already in vogue. I'm under the impression that it makes skin look closer to reality vs the previous waxy models.

I don't think previous games had wax since they had little means to calculate how light actually penetrates a surface. Instead, light would just bounce off, making it more comparable to plastic.

The new Samurai Warriors highlights this.

Top: PS3 Bottom: PS4

I loathe games that try to be "realistically dark," which apparently means "eyes that can't adjust to darkness in any meaningful way, so you're basically stuck looking at something that's way darker than it realistically would be."
I think the only good example of this that I've ever seen was the cave in Metal Gear Solid 3.

epmode

Well considering I think it looks good, you probably won't agree, but GTA V, Crysis 3 (with a slight adjustment), and various other games using tools such as ENB or ReShade/SweetFX.

The reason why many people won't agree is that chromatic aberration isn't attempting to simulate how eyes actually work. It's a camera lens effect and professional photographers/cinematographers typically go out of their way to eliminate it.

Now, if the game is simulating a crappy camera or security camera footage or something like that, it's absolutely welcome. ..but once you start putting it into an FPS like Payday 2, you've made a mistake.

I don't think previous games had wax since they had little means to calculate how light actually penetrates a surface. Instead, light would just bounce off, making it more comparable to plastic.

Waxy looking people would happen when thedevs have no idea how to implement SSS. Eith er that or they are using a crappy implementation.

tuxfool

Banned

Then what are we talking about here? Subsurface scattering more accurately represents what happens to real skin. Some of the results are really great and waxy in the same way Madame Tussauds is waxy.

JordanN

Banned
Then what are we talking about here? Subsurface scattering more accurately represents what happens to real skin. Some of the results are really great and waxy in the same way Madame Tussauds is waxy.
See my edit on the previous page.

Not all SSS behaves the same. Skin is more complex for being made of several layers. Hence, improper care can give it a wax appearance instead (which is still based on SSS, but not desired for humans).

Last gen had no wax because you weren't seeing light go through the character itself and scatter.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Piss Filters
Bump mapping
Chromatic Aberration
Bloom
SSAO

UKbLHTS.jpg

Piss filters are literally the worst, here you have a bunch of artists that create assets and then some graphics effects dude just goes ape with an ugly filter.

Top Bottom