• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UE4 Tech Demo: "Unreal Paris Virtual Tour" aka most incredible thing I've ever seen

E-Cat

What people don't realize is once this can be done in real-time through path tracing instead of pre-baking, it will take no resources whatsoever (or relatively little) to create hundreds of interiors like this. It will be the holy grail of computer graphics.

Bebpo

Banned
I'm way more impressed by particle and physics than stuff like this. I'm more impressed by Red Faction on ps2 than looking at static environments. Call me crazy

If you said Guerrilla I'd agree with you. Full environmental destruction to that level still impresses the hell out of me.

Turk

Reflections were a little poor, and no character reflection was really jarring.

UE4 is lacking a good flat mirror reflection solution. UE3 had something called a Scene Capture Reflection actor that worked great. Would love to see them add it in a future update.

kim6jocach_mamawarum.jpg

I think its possible on the Ps4...Maybe in 2-3 years with the Last of Us 2 :p

Oersted

Walking simulators in UE4 are going to be super pretty.

You can't say that when the video is a) 720p b) on youtube, where every video is compressed. The actual demo is a lot prettier, because it's not a compressed video.

I was referring to the headline "most incredible thing I've ever seen", which is a little bit over the top, even for Gaf standards.

I don't know what you mean by textures, but the materials are probably the most impressive part in this, and what makes it look so photorealistic.

Well assuming the materials had real time reflections, that could be tricky, but aside from that, I dont see anything astounishing there.

Is it pretty ?! Yes, is it that special ?! Nope, I honestly dont see it that much dif. from P.T

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
What immediately kills this for me is the controller movements, reminds me instantly of a video game at this point and kills the immersion.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I love that we've come this far with natural looking lighting.

Is there a thread on how to download/set up Unreal 4 and accompanying demos? This looks like something I'd like to try.

Detective

Great tech demo .
To those who thinks this can be done on PS4 with full decent game needs to really wake up and starts being realistic.

The thing can't do UC4 on 60fps FHD with decent graphic not along this ? And full game? And some say an open world game ? Really?

You better start realising what we have otherwise you will be very disappointing if you guys awaits that.

BizzyBum

We were born too late to explore the world and too early to explore the galaxy, but god damn we'll be able to at least experience this level of VR before we die.

Zophar

Great tech demo .
To those who thinks this can be done on PS4 with full decent game needs to really wake up and starts being realistic.

The thing can't do UC4 on 60fps FHD with decent graphic not along this ? And full game? And some say an open world game ? Really?

You better start realising what we have otherwise you will be very disappointing if you guys awaits that.

Pretty bold to claim a machine *can't* do something based on 1st and 2nd year tool and software maturation.

I'm way more impressed by particle and physics than stuff like this. I'm more impressed by Red Faction on ps2 than looking at static environments. Call me crazy

Yeah, I'm with you - let me see a pair of hands interacting with the world in some way (open a drawer, use a handtowel, run the water, whatever) and let me see some physics. Nothing particularly impressive about static environments in 2015.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
What people don't realize is once this can be done in real-time through path tracing instead of pre-baking, it will take no resources whatsoever (or relatively little) to create hundreds of interiors like this. It will be the holy grail of computer graphics.

Well you'll still want/need some way to model geometry which could be labour intensive depending the process.

Lighting scenes in a realistic way and capturing many light phenomena will become simple, though this isn't necessarily the same thing as lighting something 'beautifully'.

The big limiter here though is the dataset, and that it's basically static. I don't mean that objects here can't move around - they can - but the lighting solution won't be uniform anymore, and the surfaces that make up the objects are static. Every curtain there, for example, is the same, and is modeled by hand rather than simulated. By the time we get to path tracing this kind of thing in realtime on typical hardware, there'll be a whole set of new challenges to face on ever-more-granular simulation. I mean, the cloth for the curtains is the least of it, but it's just one simple example.

UE is really nice for these kinds of visualizations though.

Wizman23

Banned
Pretty bold to claim a machine *can't* do something based on 1st and 2nd year tool and software maturation.

A machine that is on par with a budget low end gaming PC? I think his claim is 100% right. It still amazes how some people think both new gen consoles are 2015 cutting edge tech.

Well you'll still want/need some way to model geometry which could be labour intensive depending the process.

Lighting scenes in a realistic way and capturing many light phenomena will become simple, though this isn't necessarily the same thing as lighting something 'beautifully'.

The big limiter here though is the dataset, and that it's basically static. I don't mean that objects here can't move around - they can - but the lighting solution won't be uniform anymore, and the surfaces that make up the objects are static. Every curtain there, for example, is the same, and is modeled by hand rather than simulated. By the time we get to path tracing this kind of thing in realtime on typical hardware, there'll be a whole set of new challenges to face on ever-more-granular simulation. I mean, the cloth for the curtains is the least of it, but it's just one simple example.

UE is really nice for these kinds of visualizations though.

Yep, right, people here think this is a full fledged game and are wondering why we aren't seeing games like that.

Cute, if you're making a Myst game with static environments and pre-baked lighting
PT and the ENB mods for Skyrim are much more visually stunning
This is the kind of stuff they used to do when game tech was new...

bsod

Banned
That's really amazing.

I love the fact that after over 20 years of gaming I'm still constantly impressed at the level of visual fidelity being achieved using real-time graphics. It was still in our lifetime that rendering this scene would have, at one point, taken days. Now each frame is rendered 30-60 times a second. Crazy.

viveks86

Mirrors don't show the character. Last gen confirmed!

Looks amazing. It's crazy how advanced real time rendering is these days. I doubt even PS5 will pull this off in-game though. As a tech demo, sure.

Zophar

A machine that is on par with a budget low end gaming PC? I think his claim is 100% right. It still amazes how some people think both new gen consoles are 2015 cutting edge tech.

Neither were the 360 and PS3 but you'd be a goddamned idiot to judge the capabilities of the machines based on what they were doing in 2007. Stuff like P.T. is already within spitting distance of this demo.

Goldrusher

Very impressive... to someone who lives in a world where lighting is static, doesn't have a shadow nor a reflection, has a gas stove as flat as a halogen one, has 4 subscriptions to the same magazine and collects identical plants.

filopilo

Cute, if you're making a Myst game with static environments and pre-baked lighting
PT and the ENB mods for Skyrim are much more visually stunning
This is the kind of stuff they used to do when game tech was new...

You sir got it right. Pre baked lighting is so un-amazing in facts.

Neither were the 360 and PS3 but you'd be a goddamned idiot to judge the capabilities of the machines based on what they were doing in 2007. Stuff like P.T. is already within spitting distance of this demo.
Having played P.T. as well, I don't think it comes close but that's just me.

I'd be more impressed if I could interact and deform that environment.

You won't because it is not a game. This is just archviz aka architectural Visualization. It is just like V-Ray/Mental Ray archviz but in real time where you can move in it but this is not a game. Any interactions with any mesh or prop of the scene will need other algorithms and tools and plugins enabling for example dynamic GI caused by physics when moving objects which is an overkill in terms of ressources. Here is a tech that cna be used in a game allowing the interactions you need and do in a game (which alters physics and affects lighting in a dynamic way): https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-ts=1422327029&v=VHbHOQ1NRuw&x-yt-cl=84838260

Having played P.T. as well, I don't think it comes close but that's just me.
Shinobi, it seems you don't know much about tech in 3D and games and how this is different from a normal game.

And not ONCE was the Eifel Tower spotted.

Once you get a game running with this i'm sure things will be a wee bit different. Object interactivity, moving people on screen, large scale. I find myself less and less impressed with such things nowaday. I'm all for seeing tech in an actual game scenario.

Spot on. Still looking forward to seeing an actual game that does some impressive stuff with UE4.

*drums fingers on desk*

ViciousDS

Banned
did no one else notice the constant screen tearing? Dear god my eyes couldn't look away from the top of screen. Normally some tearing doesn't bothering me but and movement left to right from camera was just.....dear heaven my eyes. Maybe its youtube I don't know

did no one else notice the constant screen tearing? Dear god my eyes couldn't look away from the top of screen. Normally some tearing doesn't bothering me but and movement left to right from camera was just.....dear heaven my eyes.

UE4 has this frequent problem and I don't see why it wasn't corrected yet.

Top Bottom