• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Roguelike/lite Thread. A Serious Case of Deja-vu.

Volodja

Played ToME again, died on the 3rd screen again. This time I even had like a legendary dagger and magical dagger.... and some nogos guardian beat the shit outta me.
What Class + Race combo are you running with?
With some it's pretty close to impossible to die at the beginning, while others are a real pain to get started.
If you see you can't really face Norgos that early, just do the first 2 levels of the Norgos Lair, than quit it, go to Trollmire, do that and then go back to Norgos.
If you can't kill that either, do the first two levels of Trollmire then go do the first 2 of Kor'pul, maybe. Just pay attention that Kor'pul has Skeleton Mages that are...huh...let's say rough, so you have to be very careful of long corridors because you aren't surviving a lot of hits from those.
I've had some really rough starts where that was the routine I found myself using.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Well tried out ToME.

RIP Stabby Face McDeadPants.

Didn't seem like there was much to do. Was outside, just kept going and finding more and more shit I couldn't use. Then something called a guardian fought me, and I was handling my own until some cobras decided to join in.

FAsO54s.png

4fEdvVb.png

You used one of the hardest classes to play in the game, I suggest not using Rogues until you have a better idea of the combat/item mechanics.

Volodja

Rogues I find are pretty miserable until you can 5 Unseen Actions and in general level your Stealth tree.

Not the worst of starts but you have to be really careful.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Rogues I find are pretty miserable until you can 5 Unseen Actions and in general level your Stealth tree.

Not the worst of starts but you have to be really careful.

Yep, the first character in Tome pretty much needs to be a barbarian to get a basic understanding of enemy strength, progress and items and extra mechanics.

There is a lot more going on in Tome than what you notice if you play with a Rogue until level 2.

Volodja

Yep, the first character in Tome pretty much needs to be a barbarian to get a basic understanding of enemy strength, progress and items and extra mechanics.

There is a lot more going on in Tome than what you notice if you play with a Rogue until level 2.
I found Dwarf Bulwark to be a real solid start.
You get a sturdy and straightforward character that starts having a few more issues later on, but at the beginning is really easy to use.
Being a Dwarf you just have to pay attention to the bats in the Deep Bellow which really really hurt.
Berserkers are a little bit fragile for a new player, I find.

The amount of stuff in Tome, the length and the fact that decisions you make early on can bite you much later are some of the reasons why I suggest to stick to Adventure mode until you get at least a couple wins so you can maybe experience a bit more of the game with an unoptimized character before having to restart.

titch

Small indie rogue-like that blew my mind. It's short, but hard and with an interesting gameplay system I've not seen before.

I've never been more afraid of dolphins that while playing this game.n

http://ragzouken.itch.io/cyberdekay

My A/V (avast) blocked the file when i tried to download it.

Its the second time i've had this when downloading games from itch.io

Win32:EVO-Gen [Susp]

Might be a false positive?

Can anyone recommend a site that can scan download links before downloading the file?
Used this https://www.virustotal.com/en/ didn't find anything so i've emailed avast.

Knurek

My A/V (avast) blocked the file when i tried to download it.

Its the second time i've had this when downloading games from itch.io

Win32:EVO-Gen [Susp]

Might be a false positive?

Can anyone recommend a site that can scan download links before downloading the file?

Avast is truly terrible at heuristics, I've yanked that shit out of my computer after two weeks of constantly having to add every single one executable I've tried to run to its exception filter.

titch

Cheers - i've used it for years without any issue but to be fair i've only started downloading these types of files since i got back into gaming(indie).

Faabulous

I found Dwarf Bulwark to be a real solid start.
You get a sturdy and straightforward character that starts having a few more issues later on, but at the beginning is really easy to use.
Being a Dwarf you just have to pay attention to the bats in the Deep Bellow which really really hurt.
Berserkers are a little bit fragile for a new player, I find.

The amount of stuff in Tome, the length and the fact that decisions you make early on can bite you much later are some of the reasons why I suggest to stick to Adventure mode until you get at least a couple wins so you can maybe experience a bit more of the game with an unoptimized character before having to restart.

I don't know man, Bulwarks are pretty weak, its nice on the early game sure, but I've never been able to win as one. He'd be better off playing a berserker.

Volodja

I don't know man, Bluwarks are pretty weak, its nice on the early game sure, but I've never been able to win as one. He'd be better off playing a berserker.
I noted that, but at the same time if you are just starting the game for the first few runs you are not gonna win anyway, you are lucky if you manage a Master run on Adventure.
Having a solid start is more important than having a good lategame in that situation so that you can at least start having an idea of how things work after the very first dungeons.

That's what I started with, anyway.

aku:jiki

This thread is my new jam. Cool to see some Shiren love, as that's the game that got me into the rogue thing like 7 years ago when it hit the DS. Mashing up various genres with roguelike concepts may feel tired to some, but I still love it and will give everything that has "inspired by roguelikes" in its Steam description a shot. I find it hard to care about games that don't feature similar mechanics nowadays - the threat of actual failure is just so much more compelling than the threat of going back 30 seconds to the last checkpoint. I guess that's the old man in me speaking, but I don't care. Get off my lawn and give me permadeath!

Sup Ferrio, we've been in Dick's chat together several times, assuming you're Ferrio80.

Ferrio

Banned
What Class + Race combo are you running with?
With some it's pretty close to impossible to die at the beginning, while others are a real pain to get started.
If you see you can't really face Norgos that early, just do the first 2 levels of the Norgos Lair, than quit it, go to Trollmire, do that and then go back to Norgos.
If you can't kill that either, do the first two levels of Trollmire then go do the first 2 of Kor'pul, maybe. Just pay attention that Kor'pul has Skeleton Mages that are...huh...let's say rough, so you have to be very careful of long corridors because you aren't surviving a lot of hits from those.
I've had some really rough starts where that was the routine I found myself using.

You used one of the hardest classes to play in the game, I suggest not using Rogues until you have a better idea of the combat/item mechanics.

I'm sticking with rogue! It's a roguelike, you gotta be rogue!

I had played again last night, same character. Got to nosgoth, destroyed him and left the forest. Went to some town place where they sold a bunch of stuff waaaay too pricey but sold all my junk. Then I didn't know where to go. I only saw one other place on the map, called the heart or something...and it was in my quest journal so I went there. I'm plopped down in the middle of like 15 monsters and instantly destroyed. Don't think I was suppose to go there yet...

Sup Ferrio, we've been in Dick's chat together several times, assuming you're Ferrio80.

As well as random donator names WTF he's online right now?!

Volodja

I'm sticking with rogue! It's a roguelike, you gotta be rogue!

I had played again last night, same character. Got to nosgoth, destroyed him and left the forest. Went to some town place where they sold a bunch of stuff waaaay too pricey but sold all my junk. Then I didn't know where to go. I only saw one other place on the map, called the heart or something...and it was in my quest journal so I went there. I'm plopped down in the middle of like 15 monsters and instantly destroyed. Don't think I was suppose to go there yet...

As well as random donator names WTF he's online right now?!
For a second dungeon you should go out of that little tree enclosure and then head west, you'll find a city (Derth), a tower (Kor'pul) and a road into the trees (Trollmire).
Trollmire is the easiest dungeon.
Heart of Gloom should be doable still, but it's better to take Trollmire first.

In general the dungeons in Tome are divided into tiers, the first tier is Norgos Lair, Heart of Gloom, Trollmire, Kor'pul, Scintillating Caves and Rhaloren Camp (excluding the special starting dungeons for some classes and races).
Trollmire is the easiest, Norgos second, after that you go do the Agent of the Arena quest in Derth, then Heart of Gloom and around there you should be strong enough to take on whichever dungeon you want outside of the Rhaloren camp which is a pain because of all the ranged enemies that deal a ton of damage.

Faabulous

Just make sure you have a physical infusion before going into Kor'pul. If you don't have one, just don't go in, it will kill you. You'll thank me later.

FireCloud

I would love for someone to make a straight port of Moria or Rogue to the Vita complete with character based "graphics" and all. Of course they would need to figure out a different control scheme since there wouldn't be a keyboard. But if it could be done, I'd buy it in an instant.

I just haven't found any Rogue-likes that scratch that Rogue itch like the old school ones. Every now and then I take some time to play UMORIA on PC though I do not do much PC gaming anymore.

Faabulous

? I know I have some wild thing that increases my defenses and stuff. Then a skill that heals status effects, and then a regen ability.

Oh, you're starting as a human? Keep the one that heals status effects, that's the one you need, unless you find the same one with better stats.

Volodja

No... the elf with the +3 str +2 dex or something.
Thaloren.
Either way.
You have 2 infusions (they are the green icons one with a leaf, the other with a dude with a spiky shield around him).
One regeneration (leaf) and one wild (the other).
Regen is straightforward.
The wild one takes out 1 detrimental physical effect and decreases damage for a few turns.
Those physical effects are stuns, pins, some blinds.
You can see effects on the right of the screen, mouse over them to see what type they are (they can be magical, mental or physical. Maybe curses are separate too, don't recall).

The other green skill you have that is like a muscly dude is the first racial Thaloren skill that gives you some damage and reduces damage taken. Don't level it up, it just goes down in cooldown and it doesn't matter, especially as a rogue.

FireCloud

Found the following when looking for a screen shot of Moria above. It shows the history of Rogue-like games from the original through to around 2010.

Retro Roguelikes Archive

Edit: I see there are download links for the various games. I assume that they are all either in the public domain or have free use licenses. Some of the articles talk about the licensing of the games while others do no. Do your research before downloading anything. Also, I have no knowledge as to the safety of the executables. Use your best judgement. I just thought the site was interesting because it shows many of the early Rogue-likes that were the inspiration for many of the games we play today.

Ferrio

Banned
Thaloren.
Either way.
You have 2 infusions (they are the green icons one with a leaf, the other with a dude with a spiky shield around him).
One regeneration (leaf) and one wild (the other).
Regen is straightforward.
The wild one takes out 1 detrimental physical effect and decreases damage for a few turns.
Those physical effects are stuns, pins, some blinds.
You can see effects on the right of the screen, mouse over them to see what type they are (they can be magical, mental or physical. Maybe curses are separate too, don't recall).

The other green skill you have that is like a muscly dude is the first racial Thaloren skill that gives you some damage and reduces damage taken. Don't level it up, it just goes down in cooldown and it doesn't matter, especially as a rogue.

Ya I knew what they did.. just didn't know they were classified as infusions (whatever that is). I was mainly leveling up my duel wield passive.

Volodja

Ya I knew what they did.. just didn't know they were classified as infusions (whatever that is). I was mainly leveling up my duel wield passive.
Infusions are a type of inscription. The other is runes.
You start having 3 inscription slots.
Infusions are all green, runes are all violet.
Runes are magical, infusions aren't.
Runes have like shield, 3 beams that take out detrimental effects, phase door, teleport, controlled phase door, manasurge (gives mana).
Some infusions are regen, heroic (ups stats for a bit), wild infusions (of 3 diff type, magical, mental or physical), healing (baaaaaaad, real baaaaad), movement, sun (blinds enemies).

At level 10, 20, 36 and beating one specific quest you get category points, you can use them to unlock categories for your character or on one more inscription slot (up to 5).

Bronco'Bama

Neo Member
I just want to give a quick recommendation to Ending. The best way I could describe it is a "minimalist puzzle roguelike". There isn't any level progression or random items, but the movement is strictly based on the roguelike concept that everything takes their turn simultaneously. It's on iOS and Android and only costs a dollar so there is not a good reason not to check it out. Great way to get your roguelike/lite fix on the go.

Ending-Screenshot.jpg

What's the best Rogue Like to play on ipad? I tend to like ones that are accessible, the flashier the better. I realize that rogue likes aren't supposed to be 'flashy', but I tend to like the ones with a little more graphical fidelity, even if they're not as 'hardcore' as others.

I would love for someone to make a straight port of Moria or Rogue to the Vita complete with character based "graphics" and all. Of course they would need to figure out a different control scheme since there wouldn't be a keyboard. But if it could be done, I'd buy it in an instant.

I just haven't found any Rogue-likes that scratch that Rogue itch like the old school ones. Every now and then I take some time to play UMORIA on PC though I do not do much PC gaming anymore.

With some patience as things ramp up towards a beta release now that the hardest of grunt work is largely settled, your dreams may well in part come true as a great many modern doors should more easily be opened...

http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=6501

autoduelist

Well tried out ToME.

Didn't seem like there was much to do. Was outside, just kept going and finding more and more shit I couldn't use.

There is a ridiculous amount to do in ToME.

Played ToME again, died on the 3rd screen again. This time I even had like a legendary dagger and magical dagger.... and some nogos guardian beat the shit outta me.

As others have posted, sounds like it might be a combo of your starting class + where you go to start. The beginning game is actually pretty simple once you've got the hang of the game [for most classes, at least].

I don't know man, Bulwarks are pretty weak, its nice on the early game sure, but I've never been able to win as one. He'd be better off playing a berserker.

My first win was with a Bulwark. I'd say it was actually pretty easy, he was a beast. Died doing postgame stuff, unfortunately, took one too many risks.

So, NetHack is coming to steam!

It's nice for historical purposes, but it really is a dinassour of a roguelike at this point.

No way, still the deepest roguelike imo. Such an amazing game, still holds up today. Can't wait for the new version.

I think it's the right thread to ask that : what's the deal with rouge/rogue ? Are so many people misspelling rogue ?

"Rouge" is french for "red". Nothing to do with rogue. As a french guy, it highly disturb me. Help me :|

It's an easy spelling mistake that auto-correct can ignore. It's my favorite genre, and I'm sure I've misspelled it on occasion. Not everyone sees simple errors in what they've typed, and not everyone pays for a copy editor for their forum posts.

Volodja

Did you do the Arena quest? With the shady dude in Derth I mean.
7 may be a little too early for an inexperienced player.
About level 10 should be better to be on the safe side.
Anyway make sure to go to Derth and go to the upper right corner, there is a dude you can talk to that gives you an arena quest that you'll do instantly and gives you 2 generic points.
The quest disappears after you hit level 12 or 13, can't recall and generic points are always welcomed.

Faabulous

7 may be a little too early for an inexperienced player.
About level 10 should be better to be on the safe side.
Anyway make sure to go to Derth and go to the upper right corner, there is a dude you can talk to that gives you an arena quest that you'll do instantly and gives you 2 generic points.
The quest disappears after you hit level 12 or 13, can't recall and generic points are always welcomed.

It disappears at player level 14, because something (wink wink) happens to the city.

Volodja

It disappears at player level 14, because something (wink wink) happens to the city.
Oh, only then it disappears?
I never actually got that far without doing the quest so I thought it had a stricter time limit.
Oh well, either way by level 10/11 any character should have a very very easy time clearing it.

Ferrio

Banned
Was waltzing through the tower, it warped me to the 3rd floor because I was a high level. Decided to go backtrack to lower levels for more exp and loot. I'm trashing the place, then I open a couple doors and black clouds of pain klll in a few turns. Umbral Horror?

unround

Any tips for Crypt of the NecroDancer? I literally have no idea what I am doing.

A couple of tips~

- Cadence always moves first on any given beat. If you're right next to an enemy and you're both about to attack, you'll strike first (so if they die on that hit you won't be damaged). Or, if you and an enemy move onto a square at the same time you'll take damage, because you were the first to move there (in this situation you could try missing a beat on purpose to get them next to you without taking damage)

- weapons with longer reach (spear, longsword) are really good early on (and for the whole game, really)

- try to bottleneck enemies that chase you if there's a lot of them around

Other than that it's mostly about learning enemy move timings and speacial abilities and finding out what weapons/items/spells do.

(Sorry if these are really obvious and unhelpful!)

Ainaurdur

Thanks for pointing out ToME, Toma!

Starting with a Dwarven Berserker on Normal Roguelike mode. Though he died once to an enemy party out on the world map and I started over. Figured it would be a nice way to ease back into it.

Volodja

Speaking of Tome
The backup guardian of the Scintillating Caverns after coming back from the East just dropped Coral Spray for me at level 32.

Coral Spray.

At level 32.

Coral Spray.

What did I do to you, darklord?

And that's after the Vor Armoury was completely devoid of artifacts.

lol coral spray at level 32 . Harsh. Such a good early game item though!

I finally got an Engineer win on Hard in the Pit this weekend. Have a Marine run going on floor 18 that looks equally strong.

There's new DLC for The Pit but everyone kind of hates the new character. He's really undertuned right now.

So is FTL considered one of the best in the genre?

I want to try out Rogue Legacy on PS+, and I'm not sure if XCOM counts, but I do love XCOM.

Has there ever been a game that was heavy on management and also roguelike? Sort of like some kind of Sim Park game with real rogue like consequences?

Dr. Buni

A couple of tips~

- Cadence always moves first on any given beat. If you're right next to an enemy and you're both about to attack, you'll strike first (so if they die on that hit you won't be damaged). Or, if you and an enemy move onto a square at the same time you'll take damage, because you were the first to move there (in this situation you could try missing a beat on purpose to get them next to you without taking damage)

- weapons with longer reach (spear, longsword) are really good early on (and for the whole game, really)

- try to bottleneck enemies that chase you if there's a lot of them around

Other than that it's mostly about learning enemy move timings and speacial abilities and finding out what weapons/items/spells do.

(Sorry if these are really obvious and unhelpful!)
Thanks for the tips (Sorry for the late reply)

:)

Lucumo

Weird, that no one has mentioned Elona yet. A game where you can prostitute yourself for money, make NPCs drunk, eat corpses, get a little sister as pet, get buildings and NPCs that manage them for you and randomly mutate. All for free.

elona-roguelike.jpg

Chaos17

Be sure to checked out tomorow Dakest Dungeon early access on Steam :

0930bd2ab5d556de05beadeeaaf54283_large.gif

FEATURES:

- The Affliction System – heroes' personalities are paramount! Contend with paranoia, abusiveness, fear, irrationality, and a host of gameplay-meaningful quirks
- Striking hand-drawn gothic crowquill art style
- Innovative turn-based combat pits you against a host of diabolical monsters
- Classic CRPG and roguelike features, including meaningful permadeath, procedural dungeons, and incredible replay
- A distinctive game world featuring over a dozen unique playable character classes such as the Plague Doctor, the Highwayman, and even the Leper!
- Town meta-game – tend to your heroes wounds, both corporeal and cerebral
- Loot! Gold, jewels, heirlooms, and mystical trinkets. Not to mention upgradable armor, weapons, and consumable supplies.
- Things That Once Seen Can Never Be Unseen...

PepperedHam

Will definitely be looking into Darkest Dungeon tomorrow it looks fantastic.

For anyone who has played it, how is it for Early Access? Would it be worth the plunge this early?

Chariot

Will definitely be looking into Darkest Dungeon tomorrow it looks fantastic.

For anyone who has played it, how is it for Early Access? Would it be worth the plunge this early?
Yes, it almost feels like a full game, since the game mechanic is finished. What is missing are the last two dungeons, a few hero classes and some fluff like color palette change. Bugs are there, but rare and not game breaking. It's super fun already.

Volodja

lol coral spray at level 32 . Harsh. Such a good early game item though!
Oh I love it early, that nice mini-nuke does wonders for a Bulwark. Also drops early pretty much every game.
Clearly some games it decides to drop later, however.

I finally got an Engineer win on Hard in the Pit this weekend. Have a Marine run going on floor 18 that looks equally strong.

There's new DLC for The Pit but everyone kind of hates the new character. He's really undertuned right now.
I tried multiple times, but I just can't seem to enjoy my time with The Pit.
Found it pretty dull and slow.
The crafting system is also basically the same as Dungeons of Dredmor and I didn't really like it in there either.

Also, the Vulture graphical interface for Nethack is available now on Steam for 2.69 euros (10% off), if anybody is interested.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/341390/

I picked it up but I dunno how much time I'm gonna dedicate to it with Darkest Dungeon coming out tomorrow.

Top Bottom