• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michelle Obama forgoes a headscarf and sparks some twitter user backlash

Status
Not open for further replies.

GKB

Indonesian pictures could have been taken when she was visiting a place of religious significance?

Yup, she only used it during her visit to Istiqlal Mosque (Indonesia's largest mosque).

Barack-and-Michelle-Obama-006.jpg

This picture for example was taken from the same presidential trip to Indonesia.

its not the official religion, its one of the 5 recognised religion along with Christian, Protestant, Budha and Hindu

also due to the above, people that don't practice one of the five religion will just put Islam on their ID card which inflate the % of Muslim here

True, i don't even consider myself a muslim but had to put islam as my religion due to administrational matter.

Theonik

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Didn't Selena Gomez get hate for cultural appropriation for wearing one? lol
'Cultural appropriation' is such a moronic complaint in the first place imo.

Good.
So then no Muslim should care that she chose the "no hijab" option...
It's a bit more complicated than that. A lot of 'muslim' laws are not actually in the Koran but they still are part of religious law. In some Muslim countries they take this to an extreme. Under Sharia law for instance, non-Muslims eating in the proximity of fasting Muslims is considered offensive an illegal. Similarly, celebrating Christmas in Muslim countries publicly can be illegal.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
She is visiting a Muslim land, only an ignorant fool disregards the traditions of the people in whose land they are in.

People operating within diplomatic circles should be aware of this.

Like everyone visiting or living in France should be aware of the freedom of mocking everyone (a long lasting tradition there), right?

User 406

Banned
It strikes me that for all the "yeah, women shouldn't be pressured to wear a headscarf!", she still has to have a perm or people will freak out about her natural black hair. :/

ElFly

She is visiting a Muslim land, only an ignorant fool disregards the traditions of the people in whose land they are in.

People operating within diplomatic circles should be aware of this.

Maybe it is a diplomatic message to women in Saudi Arabia.

Codeblue

How does 1500 tweets even get on someone's radar?

PwmaiwN.jpg

Female diplomats not conforming to these laws has never been an issue.

Mimosa97

How is "Turkey not a muslim country per se"? it has more mosques than anywhere else on the planet, the government builds mosques, they just banned facebook pages that insult islam, 99.8% of the population are muslims, mandatory religious education for muslim children (which happens to be nearly all the children), the President has taken the Putin route of going from Prime Minister to President so he maintains his control of the country, alcohol sales have been restricted recently, the presidents support of ISIS...

anyway i could go on, but long story short, they may say they are secular, but Turkey is anything but.

By " per se " i meant in the constitution.

I agree with what you say but to this day Turkey remains a secular country.

That's because she is a man ;)

Edit: Because people obviously couldn't tell it wasn't serious. No i don't think she is a man. Relax people.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Saudi Arabia is one of those countries that I can't understand why the US is allied with them.

Really? Hint: it's black and sticky and we need it to run our cars and power our factories and heat our homes and make the chemicals we use for millions of products, ranging from fertilizer to drugs to plastics.

pj

Banned
So to summarize..

Head scarves are not required for foreigners
Mrs. Obama only wore one at a mosque in Indonesia, not the whole time
6 human beings and 1494 twitter bots gave a shit

Why is this a thread?

Wow, they completely blurred her out. That is pathetic.

not surprising. when I was younger I had a friend from Saudi and he brought back a few comics with him. I remember reading a justice league book and someone had actually gone in with a sharpie and covered up wonder woman's arms, legs and chest in every fucking panel. they'll go to some pretty crazy lengths to avoid anything like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom