• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 4, 2015 (Jan 19 - Jan 25)

The problem is that a lot of the PS4's big games in Japan are also on PS3 and unlike in the west it seems most people in Japan are willing to just get the last gen version. Though to be fair MGSVGZ did surprisingly well on PS4 compared to the PS3 version with a much smaller install base than what it has now. Only time will tell.

It will be interesting to see how more PS3/4 titles perform. I'm also guessing there will be a MGSV PS4 bundle.

Vena

kirby strikes dreamland again has to be underway at this point.

Cookie Kirby strikes me as a very small project, very much akin to Toad. Give it to some younger devs to work on and sharpen their fangs, make it a budget release, and, more than likely, recoup all investment rather quickly with even low sales.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It will be interesting to see how more PS3/4 titles perform. I'm also guessing there will be a MGSV PS4 bundle.

The ultimate issue for Sony to tackle is making the PS4 a system where someone can look at the upcoming line-up and go "I will definitely want this to play X, Y, and Z, so I will buy it now to play W, even though I can on another platform as well."

Like in the West everyone immediately understood that new consoles would have lots of exclusive games (as compared to PS3/360) pretty quickly, so buying them to play a bunch of cross-gen games was a fine idea. Everyone had the confidence that there was guaranteed astronomical value in purchasing these systems in the long run.

I'm not sure that's the case for the average potential Japanese console customer yet.

So... Wii U hardware sales went down with Kirby's launch.

This is going to be a loooooooooooong year for Nintendo.

Yeah I think basically everyone expected this to pretty much be the end of the road when Smash/MK8 didn't revive the system.

Most of Nintendo's remaining IPs aren't huge in Japan. I guess there might be an Animal Crossing game, but I'm not sure how much more that will actually move.

Oregano

Yeah, Kirby just seems to have feet attached to his torso.

Bayonetta the character has long legs, Bayonetta the game has short legs.

Captain Toad the character has short legs, Captain Toad the game has long legs.

It's inversely proportional.

Vena

But Kirby has no legs at all.

So inverse proportionality leads to a singularity in the equation.

Kirby just has feet attached directly to his precious little spherical torso. Zero legs on his person. 1/legs = 1/0.

Kirby rainbow curse confirmed to have infinite sales

Elandyll

Banned
Most of Nintendo's remaining IPs aren't huge in Japan. I guess there might be an Animal Crossing game, but I'm not sure how much more that will actually move.

Say .. what if The Legend of Zelda was a new "Ocarina of time" type phenom ... do you think there'd be a chance of a Wii U revival with that?

I kinda see it as Nintendo's last chance for the WiiU, but maybe then I'm too optimistic :)

Hellraider

Say .. what if The Legend of Zelda was a new "Ocarina of time" type phenom ... do you think there'd be a chance of a Wii U revival with that?

I kinda see it as Nintendo's last chance for the WiiU, but maybe then I'm too optimistic :)

Is this coming before or after the secret PS4 game that will change everything?

Madao

OoT didn't revive the N64. no chance the Wii U Zelda does it for Wii U.

Zelda can't even break 500k on the 3DS any more (what the hell Japan), so...no

Sony is using the same strategy for PSP->Vita transition and it went well. They do it with many cross-gen titles and some PS4 exclusives, then the number of exclusives will increase over time. People will eventually move on from PS3.

yeah, about that...

The problem is that a lot of the PS4's big games in Japan are also on PS3 and unlike in the west it seems most people in Japan are willing to just get the last gen version. Though to be fair MGSVGZ did surprisingly well on PS4 compared to the PS3 version with a much smaller install base than what it has now. Only time will tell.

Sony is using the same strategy for PSP->Vita transition and it went well. They do it with many cross-gen titles and some PS4 exclusives, then the number of exclusives will increase over time. People will eventually move on from PS3.

Oregano

That's highly debatable. Vita is only doing well in comparison to disastrous consoles.

DieH@rd

Banned
New3DS LL - 20.065
Vita - 14.991
PS4 - 13.793
PS3 - 8.600
New3DS - 8.028
Wii U - 7.088
3DS LL - 3.882
3DS - 3.287
Vita TV - 589
Xbox One - 259

xboxonevku4f.jpg

I wouldn't exactly say that transition went well.

small44

I don't think it has nothing to do with Sony it's 3rd party choice to release they games where ever they want

Someone explain those PS4 system sales to me, when only one PS4 game is in the chart (near the bottom). Wii U has multiple charting games but lower system sales. Don't get it.

Media create has very strange numbers for some systems since many month.

Famitsu sales (with said to be more accurate) are very different from MC numbers (for example usually Wii U higher and PS4 lower sales than MC).

That's highly debatable. Vita is only doing well in comparison to disastrous consoles.

I didn't talk about the hardware sale. I meant the transition from PSP -> Vita went well as evidenced by some of PSP/Vita games, Toukiden for example, sold better on the Vita.

Media create has very strange numbers for some systems since many month.

Famitsu sales (with said to be more accurate) are very different from MC numbers (for example usually Wii U higher and PS4 lower sales than MC).
ahahahaha

Especially funny since I remember the entire summer of 2014 Media Create was higher on Wii U...

edit: you know what this is even better

Wii U again above 10k! 3DS on top as always. PS4 below 10k as always.

Nice opening for Freedom Wars! Small bump for Vita sales too! I think this is the last big Sony exclusive for Vita? Will this good sales change Sonys opinion of the future of the Vita?

Media Create-10.653
Famitsu-9.010

Hard to compare console Zeldas to handheld ones. Different market... and Zelda U seems to be the biggest Zelda since a long time. Could reach a broad new audience or loose old audience, who knows?

Well Skyward Sword didn't do so hot as well back in 2011. And that was on the massive installed bases of the Wii.

Oregano

I didn't talk about the hardware sale. I meant the transition from PSP -> Vita went well as evidenced by some of PSP/Vita games, Toukiden for example, sold better on the Vita.

Even then we're possibly about to see God Eater 2 Rage Burst only do half of the original release due to the loss of PSP users. It's making the best of a bad situation IMO.

Elandyll

Banned
There is no point talking about the chances a game has to become a phenomenon and doing miracles. I could say this for every single game that gets released every weak. It would get us nowhere.

Your answer was so nonsensical, I had to wonder.

As per deeming "useless" the theory of the impact on sales of a brand new release in the Zelda franchise on Wii U (a game announced and teased since before the release of said console) in a sales thread ...

/smh

But thanks for deciding for me what has a point and what does not, I had nooo idea.

BriBri

As far as I read, reception does not seem that bad. It's not a game for those who want a story-driven jRPG, and it's good in being so.
For someone that has put ten hours into the game thus far then I can confidently say it is not very good at all. The story is non-existent, the game is just constant battles, the battle gimmick isn't as exciting as other games' gimmicks, the characters are lacklustre, the game is unfair and generally it's not particularly exciting to play.

Your answer was so nonsensical, I had to wonder.

As per deeming "useless" the theory of the impact on sales of a brand new release in the Zelda franchise on Wii U (a game announced and teased since before the release of said console) in a sales thread ...

/smh

But thanks for deciding for me what has a point and what does not, I had nooo idea.

but maybe then I'm too optimistic :)

Raonak

Banned
PS4's been hovering around 14k for a bit now, and it still doesn't have anything notable out.
I think all the signs now point to it being okay. Once persona and FF start releasing, i'll be very curious of it's performance.

BriBri

Yokai Watch 2: Shinuchi digital numbers at 52,408 according to Famitsu Chartzzzz

Edit: that number is until 21 December so basically eight days.

prwxv3

I am surprised at the PS4 numbers. They are still not good but more then I thought it was going to get. Are buyers looking forward to games they can also get on PS3 or what.

I am surprised at the PS4 numbers. They are still not good but more then I thought it was going to get. Are buyers looking forward to games they can also get on PS3 or what.

I agree. They are clearly not breaking any records but the "baseline" of weekly PS4 sales seems to be rising from ~10K to closer to ~14K. I'm assuming a lot of this has to do with the upcoming slate of PS4 hardware (I expect Bloodborne, in particular, to do really well on and for the PS4). Additionally, I think people WILL eventually tire of the PS3 as software slows down on that platform and move to the PS4.

The PS4 not being a runaway smash there is very different from it being a failure. Just seems like a slow-burn of a start for it, in my opinion. I think they'll continue to grow in 2015. X1, however... yikes.

Takao

Banned
Famitsu Top 10 Digital Sales December 2014

01. [3DS] Yokai Watch 2: Shinuchi (Level-5) - 52.408 (2.9%)
02. [PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition (Mojang) - 35.705 (100%)
03. [WIU] Super Smash Bros. for Wii U (Nintendo) - 34.258 (8.0%)
04. [3DS] Pokemon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire (Pokemon Company) - 31.322 (3.8%)
05. [3DS] Final Fantasy Explorers (Square Enix) - 17.327 (9.6%)
06. [PSV] Phantasy Star Nova (Sega) - 16.807 (10.6%)
07. [PSV] Gundam Breaker 2 (Bandai Namco Games) - 11.167 (17.0%)
08. [PS4] Grand Theft Auto V (Rockstar) - 10.241 (10%)
09. [PS4] Dragon Age: Inquisition (Electronic Arts) - 10.111 (20.3%)
10. [3DS] Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS (Nintendo) - 7.763 (4.5%)

Legend:
Sales Rank - Platform - Game Title - Publisher - Estimated Digital Sales - Percentage of total sales (physical+digital) in the tracking period sold digitally

Dazza

The ultimate issue for Sony to tackle is making the PS4 a system where someone can look at the upcoming line-up and go "I will definitely want this to play X, Y, and Z, so I will buy it now to play W, even though I can on another platform as well."

I'm not sure if the average Japanese consumer thinks that way, they normally only buy stuff that is useful to them right now, rather than any future potential

No one here can say which tracker is more accurate, is only personal preference.

not only that, in this case it's pretty blatant that it's really "whichever one has my console higher at the time is right"

Well, we didn't see much of a bump with Smash or Mario Kart 8, so unless everyone who wanted those games also felt 3D World was an very high need title that justified the entire system on its own, they would seem to have picked up the system earlier.

The PS4 also had an unusually high launch for what was actually releasing.

Consoles at this point are niche products, so I don't think we're talking about your average customer that plays games at all sense, but average customer who would actually consider buying a console.

no Nirolak, the truth is that Super Mario 3D World was the biggest system seller for the Wii U in Japan

;)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm not sure if the average Japanese consumer thinks that way, they normally only buy stuff that is useful to them right now, rather than any future potential

Well, we didn't see much of a bump with Smash or Mario Kart 8, so unless everyone who wanted those games also felt 3D World was an very high need title that justified the entire system on its own, they would seem to have picked up the system earlier.

The PS4 also had an unusually high launch for what was actually releasing.

Consoles at this point are niche products, so I don't think we're talking about your average customer that plays games at all sense, but average customer who would actually consider buying a console.

Famitsu Top 10 Digital Sales December 2014

01. [3DS] Yokai Watch 2: Shinuchi (Level-5) - 52.408 (2.9%)
02. [PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition (Mojang) - 35.705 (100%)
03. [WIU] Super Smash Bros. for Wii U (Nintendo) - 34.258 (8.0%)
04. [3DS] Pokemon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire (Pokemon Company) - 31.322 (3.8%)
05. [3DS] Final Fantasy Explorers (Square Enix) - 17.327 (9.6%)
06. [PSV] Phantasy Star Nova (Sega) - 16.807 (10.6%)
07. [PSV] Gundam Breaker 2 (Bandai Namco Games) - 11.167 (17.0%)
08. [PS4] Grand Theft Auto V (Rockstar) - 10.241 (10%)
09. [PS4] Dragon Age: Inquisition (Electronic Arts) - 10.111 (20.3%)
10. [3DS] Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS (Nintendo) - 7.763 (4.5%)

Legend:
Sales Rank - Platform - Game Title - Publisher - Estimated Digital Sales - Percentage of total sales (physical+digital) in the tracking period sold digitally

Minecraft seems big enough to warrant a retail release. I wonder if Sony had that in mind before MS bought Mojang. Now I think it would be impossible for Vita to get a retail release of Minecraft in Japan.

Top Bottom