• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Putting rice in a burrito is like putting pineapple on pizza

Status
Not open for further replies.
A burrito without rice isn't a burrito.

Burrito is the form factor, it does not dictate the filling. Riceless burritos are delicious, but cost more because the rice is a much cheaper ingredient than the meat.
idHrx9lrOLuPZ.jpg

My parents don't even put cheese in theirs.

Can a burrito even be called a burrito without rice? I'm sure there's some other Mexican dish that is basically what you want that goes by a different name.

jotun?

It's bad if the rice has no flavor, or if there's too much of it

But a burrito without rice is just too dense. The rice gives it a good variation in texture

The whole reason putting pineapple on a pizza is bad is because it makes it taste bad. Rice barely has a taste in the first place and putting rice in your burrito isn't going to drown out other flavors from the burrito like pineapple does to pizza. I don't even see how it's comparable.

In that both can be good in moderation? Rice is good for soaking up the mingled juices of a good wet burrito. If the burrito isn't juicy enough, then I would agree that rice takes it down a notch. Basically, it depends entirely on where you get your burrito.

As for pineapple on pizza, it's good for adding some sweet tanginess to offset the saltiness of peperoni or ham when you're in the mood. I wouldn't order it every time, but it is delicious on occasion. In short, your taste in food isn't a universal law OP.

bender

What time is it?
Grew up on Tex-Mex and never had rice in a burrito before moving to Colorado. It seemed strange at first but I don't mind it. It seems more common to fast food burrito joints (Chipolte, Qdoba, etc.) and less likely to be found in Mexican restaurants. Stranger to me is that types of rice offered. It's never Spanish rice but steamed or brown.

JABEE

Hey! I like pineapple on pizza!

Except pineapple on pizza is the best thing ever.

pineqpple on a pizza is good tho

Pineapple on pizza is great....

What? Hawaiian pizza has pipenapple and its like one of the most popular pizza in Poland [cant speak about Europe really]. Just, because You dont like it, doesnt mean its bad.

But pineapple on pizza is great.

Two counts of heresy in the OP, impressive.

Pineapple on pizza is god tier. All hail our Hawaiian pizza masters.

you mean mushrooms? pineapple on pizza is the best thing ever

May God have mercy on us all.

Gobias

Banned
I have nothing to add except for the fact that Loaded Potato Grillers at Taco Bell are awesome and they have no rice. Also, pineapples suck in general.

entremet

Burrito is the form factor, it does not dictate the filling. Riceless burritos are delicious, but cost more because the rice is a much cheaper ingredient than the meat.
idHrx9lrOLuPZ.jpg

That's just meat?

Man, poor colon of whoever eats that lol. Those are gonna be strenuous bowel movements lol.

TrounceX

Totally. It's like, there's already a huge tortilla, why would I want to double up on the carbs? That space is better off used for more meat.

Exhibit 1: Delicious
Lolita's_California_Burrito.jpg

Exhibit 2: An insult to humanity
Steak-Burrito2.jpg

What the hell is that crispy looking thing in Exhibit 1? Are there Fritos in that burrito?

Edit: French fries I guess.... Exhibit 1 looks like Taco Bell, while Exhibit 2 looks like an actual burrito.

Bread

Banned
idHrx9lrOLuPZ.jpg

Rice takes space away from meat and guac, it has a negative effect on the quality of a burrito.

Are those french fries?
French fries > rice
(it's hard to find pictures of burritos without rice on google so i just found one that i knew wouldn't have any, which is the california burrito)

May God have mercy on us all.

You know how when you have an office pizza party, and there's that one dude who always insists on getting pineapple, so at the end of the party you have 6 slices of pineapple leftover and no sausage or pepperoni? These are those guys.

Hasney

Read the title, thought the OP would be "An excellent idea".

Now I'm just disgusted by the lack of taste on display here.

The Beard

You couldn't be more wrong. Putting pineapple on pizza should be a felony offense. Rice in a burrito is equivalent to cheese on a pizza.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Pineapplet on a thin crust after a twice cooked bacon and sliced ham have been done is pretty awesome to me. The same can be said for rice that's decent in a burrito.

ampere

Wow.

I'm mad now. Pineapple is one of the top 5 ingredients on pizza, and a burrito isn't complete without rice.

You sir are wrong.

Sephzilla

You know how when you have an office pizza party, and there's that one dude who always insists on getting pineapple, so at the end of the party you have 6 slices of pineapple leftover and no sausage or pepperoni? These are those guys.

LOL

Same thing happens when we get pizza at my job

Wow. That's an opinion so wrong I almost can't believe it. I find rice to be a critical part of the burrito experience. It's the structural core, the backbone that ties together every element into a united experience.

A burrito without rice is just a gussied up soft taco.

Also pineapple on pizza is miserable. But that's beyond the point.

Those guys are the worst.

Ronin Ray

Yes every freaking time !!!!!

smurfx

get some go again
My favorite burritos usually only have beans, meat, onions and cilantro. The meat needs to be the star of the show. Many places jam burritos full of filler ingredients so they can put as little meat in the burrito as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom