• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Randolph Carter (recurring Lovecraft character) is a character in Code Name: STEAM

Neiteio

Code Name: STEAM's lineup of literary characters keeps growing crazier. GameXplain got more hands-on time with the game, and said new characters include Queequeq from "Moby Dick," Scarecrow from "The Wizard of Oz," and Randolph Carter, a recurring character in the horror mythos of H.P. Lovecraft.

Again, I repeat, this is an Intelligent Systems game, a Nintendo title, where you can play as Randolph Carter. Complete with alien body from "Through the Gates of the Silver Key."

randolph4yusx.png

They join other characters such as African-American folk hero John Henry, U.S. President Abraham Lincoln, Henry Fleming of "The Red Badge of Courage," Tiger Lily of "Peter Pan," the Cowardly Lion from "The Wizard of Oz," and Tom Sawyer from, well, "The Adventures of Tom Sawyer."

There was also another character shown, a girl simply called "The Fox," but Nintendo is keeping her concept under wraps. Perhaps she's a clever twist on a literary character or historical figure? More likely, she's something original. GameXplain speculates, due to the Mexican flag, she's a Zorro character (Spanish for "Fox"). A female Zorro -- hence why they might be coy with her identity.

At any rate, how the fuck is this a Nintendo game? Amazing.

Also, Queequeg has explosive robot penguins.

Makonero

I'm more excited about Queequeg. Awesome literary references, Intelligent Systems! Really living up to the "Intelligent" in their name!

This is slowly turning into The League Extraordinary of Gentleman: American Edition.

EDIT: My bad! Some of the characters are from British authors. Since they're all historical or public domain characters, I can only imagine who else they'll try to squeeze in there.

Regarding the Fox:

Wikipedia said:
Copyright and trademark disputes

The copyright and trademark status of the Zorro character and stories are disputed. Zorro Productions, Inc., asserts that it "controls the worldwide trademarks and copyrights in the name, visual likeness and the character of Zorro." It further states that "The unauthorized, unlicensed use of the name, character and/or likeness of 'Zorro' is an infringement and a violation of state and federal laws.

I imagine they wanted to use Zorro but it would have been too much of a legal headache.

Neiteio

Andre at GameXplain seems to be really loving this game. He started with zero interest, but he says that every time he plays it, he loves it more and more. You can tell in that video in the OP that he's really excited.

Ophelion

Does...does he have the Silver Key? If so, that character will be broken OP.

Edit: Oh, so he does have the Silver Key. Sorry bad guys. You're doomed.

Already thought STEAM looked cool as hell. This pushes it to day one though.

ElFly

Randolph Carter for Smash 5

Final Smash: turning the silver key and transmigrating the souls of his enemies into space alien wizards.

I suppose it's far too late for Nintendo to throw a pile off money and whatever incantations it would take to get a Mike Mignola mini-comic alongside this game. The concept art is good enough - the 3DS interpretation is deeply unholy - but Classic Hellboy art would've been so choice for this.

Ophelion

This is slowly turning into The League Extraordinary of Gentleman: American Edition.

Not just American though. Tigerlilly is in and her author is British.

I'm hoping they made Artful Dodger a character with roguey sort of abilities. That would be fun.

I suppose it's far too late for Nintendo to throw a pile off money and whatever incantations it would take to get a Mike Mignola mini-comic alongside this game. The concept art is good enough - the 3DS interpretation is deeply unholy - but Classic Hellboy art would've been so choice for this.

Amazing Screw-On Head would fit in so perfectly with this game.

Lunar15

I really want to know more about the Director and how he started working at Intelligent Systems.

This is one of those times where I'm severely angry we don't have Iwata Asks right now. There's so many questions about this title: A non-japanese director, allusions to american literature, and weird gameplay philosophies.

Also, obligatory: Cthulhu for Smash pls

18-Volt

This game gets more and more awesome with every reveal.

Ok, my character wishlist (most of them are international though)

Abe Van Helsing (Dracula)
Professor Challenger (The Lost World, aided by pack of raptor dinosaurs)
Passepartout (Around the World in 80 Days)
Buck the Dog (Call of the Wild)
Edward Prendrick (Island of Dr. Moreau, turns into a beast)
Arsene Lupin
Wyatt Earp

Corgi

Banned
cant' watch, at work.

game looks like Valkyrie chronicles gameplay wise... but do you take turns based off speed or does each side take their turns at once?

alvis.exe

I'm not in love with the art design, nor will I know what I feel about the gameplay until I actually get to try it out for myself, but I think I may be picking this up based on the pure literary mashup insanity alone.

Always did have a soft spot for things like that.

TheMoon

There was also another character shown, a girl simply called "The Fox," but Nintendo is keeping her concept under wraps. Perhaps she's a clever twist on a literary character or historical figure? More likely, she's something original. GameXplain speculates, due to the Mexican flag, she's a Zorro character (Spanish for "Fox"). A female Zorro -- hence why they might be coy with her identity.

In one of the Zorro movies, "Zorro's Black Whip," Zorro's grandson gets killed which leads his sister (Barbara Meredith) to pick up the mask and whip for revenge. "The Fox" is likely her.

The fact that this game is coming from Nintendo is so weird to me. Something about their games makes them feel so insular. Probably it's the fact that up until now, the only things Nintendo games overtly reference is other Nintendo games. It's weird to see such overt references to historical and literary figures in a Nintendo game.

TheMoon

Been playing the first two demo maps and I'm already in love. The demo is already a GOTY contender for me. Yes, the demo, you read that right. ;)

cant' watch, at work.

game looks like Valkyrie chronicles gameplay wise... but do you take turns based off speed or does each side take their turns at once?

Each side has as much time as they want to take a turn. You can end your turn whenever you want, then the enemy takes its turn. It's like XCOM if that tells you anything.

rdaneel72

DAMMIT!

Now I have to buy this game, too.

N3DS, Majora, MONSTER HUNTER and now this. I need a second job to pay for all this, but then when would I have time to play?

Neiteio

Hellboy is the only comic I read. I -adore- that series. Mike Mignola is a genius storyteller, and a genius artist (which is why It's nice to see him drawing the series again, in addition to writing it).

The presence of Abe Lincoln in Code Name: STEAM reminds me of Mignola's "The Amazing Screw-On Head."

screwhead_02.jpg

Neiteio

Poe seems like either a must-have character, or a lucrative DLC idea.

Also, Jane Eyre. In an ironic twist, this "plain" character is all tits and female body armor.

Top Bottom