• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs or Sleeping Dogs?

McLovin

Is the concept of someone enjoying Watchdogs really that far fetched for you? I mean it's hardly Superman 64. Overhyped games can still be good.
I guess its not that far fetched. Some people enjoyed the Star Wars prequals, Adam Sandler movies, and games like bubsy 3d.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I guess its not that far fetched. Some people enjoyed the Star Wars prequals, Adam Sandler movies, and games like bubsy 3d.

Your taste is better than everyone else's, in other words. Good to know, I'll PM you to find out what OK for me to like in future.

Sleeping Dogs.

It's better in every way, the protagonist is more interesting, the story is more interesting, the combat/gameplay is better (I liked the emphasis on melee fighting than using guns).

Watch_Dogs has the worst protagonist I've seen in a game that tried to take itself seriously and riddled with the typical boring Ubisoft open world design.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Not even a contest.

Sleeping Dogs is a much better game. It has a good amount of post-game DLC too to extend game time. The game is just too damn fun to play.

Its GTA with Arkham combat and good implementation of bullet time to help gun-fights, how could that not be awesome.

heringer

Ok, I get the picture guys. :)

Now tell me what's wrong with the definitive version because the original isn't on Steam anymore.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Got damn this thread ... i hope no Ubisoft PR people see. Watch_Doge's been slaughtered.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Got damn this thread ... i hope no Ubisoft PR people see. Watch_Doge's been slaughtered.

They might fnally get the message to stop with their copy/paste open world formula. I thought Watchdogs was ok, but the Ubisoft formula underneath was the worst thing about the game and it really got on my nerves. Another case of hoovering up icons on the minimap.

iNvid02

I'd imagine it would be something like this

it was the most preordered new ip in their history so yeah

M5XGp.gif

I'd imagine it would be something like this

it was the most preordered new ip in their history so yeah

M5XGp.gif

the way sequels work, the sequel pays the price when its predecessor is ill received. So, for example, Resident Evil 6 doing gangbusters for Capcom isn't a vindication that RE6 was good but that people liked RE5 enough to pick up RE6. However, if you're capcom you're shitting your pants in regards to RE7 because that's when the fallout from RE6 will be felt.

It's the same reason you saw ubisoft quickly rush to add a 4 at the end of Black Flag when they had no plans to do so originally. They thought it best to have the people who didn't like ACIII hopefully move on and to disassociate Black Flag from its predecessor by doing something they hadn't done with the series before and slap a number at the end of the following year's game. If ACIII would've been better received by its fanbase (it sold millions of copies, just like WD did) then you wouldn't have had AC4: Black Flag, just AC: Black Flag.

Dr. Buni

Sleeping Dogs is a great game. Watch_Dogs isn't. I actually like Sleeping Dogs more than GTA games, even. I think I will double dip and buy the PC version on the next sale.

heringer

Got Sleeping Dogs on the Steam sale. I'm not feeling it yet... maybe things will improve when I get guns. I like to shoot stuff.

Krejlooc

Banned
Sleeping dogs is better, no doubt. Watch dogs is still neat to throw into first person mode and force Oculus rift output, though, because it really looks and feels like you're driving through seattle.

Corgi

Banned
Got Sleeping Dogs on the Steam sale. I'm not feeling it yet... maybe things will improve when I get guns. I like to shoot stuff.

you should have gotten watch dogs then lol.

not that much shooting in sleepy dogs.

make sure to do environmental kills and mix up your combos, which not only fill up your super meter quicker, but makes the game more fun.

heringer

you should have gotten watch dogs then lol.

not that much shooting in sleepy dogs.

make sure to do environmental kills and mix up your combos, which not only fill up your super meter quicker, but makes the game more fun.

I like to beat the shit out of people too, I'm just not feeling it yet. I kind of hate the animations. Will keep playing though! Thanks for the tips.

Lego Boss

Sleepy Dawgs needs a bona fide sequel. For me it's up there with GTA 5 and JC2 as the best opem worlder of all time. I would include Forza Horizon 2 in that list, but it's completely different.

Play them all, you owe it to yourself.

Corgi

Banned
I like to beat the shit out of people too, I'm just not feeling it yet. I kind of hate the animations. Will keep playing though! Thanks for the tips.
combat or movement? its not the smoothest of games, in the world where we have GTA and assassin creed for open world games, but the controls are still pretty tight.

Animations remind me more of the ps2 era of games than the overly physics based momentum movement that you started seeing in last gen era.

Unarguably, GTAV is the better game; more polished, more varied, and just a lot more fun to dick around in the world. (Sleeping Dogs barely edges out on the story; both are pretty by-the-books)

But here's the thing; you can't get GTAV and all its DLC for 5 bucks like Sleeping Dawgs. The latter takes the cake purely on value of returns.

Disregard Watch_Dog; all the clunkiness of open world games with barely any of the fun.

(Edit: Nevermind, I didn't see OP already bought SD. Have fun.)

Icefire1424

Ehhhh, not all that many guns in Hong Kong unfortunately. They actually make specific mention of that in game. HOWEVER, fear not, because there is Karaoke!

I like to beat the shit out of people too, I'm just not feeling it yet.

Oh, you're good then. Fight clubs are fun!

Roto13

The lack of guns and focus on kung fu is one of the reasons I prefer Sleeping Dogs to any other similar game.

I'm confused by the driving comparisons between SD and GTA5, unless GTA's driving became suddenly not awful with 5?

Sleeping Dogs all day.

deejay

Depends what you're after.

Story, characters, and melee combat - Sleeping Dogs

Driving, stealth, shooting mechanics, graphics - Watch Dogs

Sleeping Dogs is heavily focused on Hand-to-hand encounters, and has the best protagonist in modern video games. Watch Dogs is like an open world Splinter Cell with possibly the worst protagonist in modern video games. Both have great soundtracks, both are great games.

The hate Watch Dogs gets here is absolutely ridiculous.

Totally agree with this.

GrayChild

Gold Member
Sleeping Dogs >>
RE4 >> Shadow of the Colossus >> MGS >> FF7 >> The Last of Us >> GTAV >> Dark Souls >> SH2 >> Bayonetta >>
Watch Dogs

Like what's already been said probably about 300 times, Sleeping Dogs. I had more fun with it thanks to the beat'em/Arkham series style gameplay than I did Watch Dogs.

Watch_Dogs is a great game if you enjoyed watching your dog be put down by the vet.

Get Sleeping Dogs, the story won't put you to sleep.

sleeping dogs is really the pinnacle of the empty and soulless open world genre. This sounds like a complaint, but it really impressive that they took something that isn't actually good and at least did it as good as possible.

The graphics, characters and action are all top notch in the 2-3 hours of fun you get before you realise it is boring and repetitive as fuck with a story that goes nowhere and absolutely nothing else interesting to do in the world.

If you enjoy games like infamous, you are in for a special treat. Just be aware that it is "amazing" in that context only.

Top Bottom