• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Law & Order To Air An Episode Inspired By #Gamergate February 11

Madness

Reminds me that one show where they tried to beat Prince of Persia to unlock some hackers files, and the Detective was talking about how he could do it because he still had his star wars costume in his mom's basement etc. And then as he's playing, they cut to some girl who's like pretending to play the game with an imaginary controller and they give it to her and she easily beats the game. So cringe worthy though. Does anyone remember the show?

Let's see how they portray this episode though. Haven't really kept up with the GamerGate news beyond how the early days of how it started. Is it still relevant or no? They shouldn't try and portray both sides as equal either. That's the biggest problem. People pretend both sides have equal say. GamerGate is largely harassment for the women in gaming. There is no redeeming quality to the GamerGate movement no matter how deluded they think they are, or that they're saving games journalism.

mo60

Reminds me that one show where they tried to beat Prince of Persia to unlock some hackers files, and the Detective was talking about how he could do it because he still had his star wars costume in his mom's basement etc. And then as he's playing, they cut to some girl who's like pretending to play the game with an imaginary controller and they give it to her and she easily beats the game. So cringe worthy though. Does anyone remember the show?

Let's see how they portray this episode though. Haven't really kept up with the GamerGate news beyond how the early days of how it started. Is it still relevant or no? They shouldn't try and portray both sides as equal either. That's the biggest problem. People pretend both sides have equal say. GamerGate is largely harassment for the women in gaming. There is no redeeming quality to the GamerGate movement no matter how deluded they think they are, or that they're saving games journalism.

It's not really relevant anymore. The gaters are still acting the same way they do on twitter while some of the sites gaters use are now trying to hurt their opponents by swatting them and plotting vile things that can also affect their opponents.

Mesoian

It's not really relevant anymore. The gaters are still acting the same way they do on twitter while some of the sites gaters use are now trying to hurt their opponents by swatting them and plotting vile things that can also affect their opponents.

That's still relevant though.

Steel

Banned
laworder610.jpg

I remember this episode.

JNA

Banned
Unfortunately, Law & Order is off the air, along with Criminal Intent. SVU still airs though!

Criminal Intent sucked hard though and it had a horrible intro music compared to Original and SVU.

This episode man...let the fuckery begin!

Mman235

The best part is that they can go all in on the OTT basement dweller gamer stereotypes and they still won't come close to capturing the awfulness of the average open GG member.

Awwwhh sweet. This is all of my favorite things: an Ice T episode, a video game episode (the second life one was hilarious), and a way to show how terrible #GG is.

Criminal Intent sucked hard though and it had a horrible intro music compared to Original and SVU.

This episode man...let the fuckery begin!

You take that back. Vincent D'onofrio. Though later seasons, specifically with Jeff Goldblum were not good. Also, most of the ripped from headlines stories on CI were bad, like the Anna Nicole Smith one starring David Cross.

Yeah. I stopped watching when Anthony Anderson joined the show, because he is TERRIBLE. But now that he's gone, I might pop in more often.

Wrong series. He only guessed on one SVU episode. He was a cop on Law and Order proper in some of the later seasons before it went odd the air.

Piotrek

I heard that Ice-T changed his nickname to Mountain-Dew for a month in order to get a better feel of the gaming community.

"a violent video game inspires a real crime"

Oh boy.

Remember, this is American TV, it is the agenda of the executives to demonize any medium that is not TV. If Big Johnny is enjoying himself in Smash, he is not contributing to the ratings. Not contributing to the ratings equals not contributing to the margins, and the investors prefer their margins as high as possible. Therefore, public opinion needs to be engineered to ostracize those who aren't drooling in front of the screen watching TV, ignorant of how far quality has slid from what it was 20 years ago. In 1995, shows with the quality level of Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones were the norm, now they're the "best thing ever". Things like that need to be distracted of by warning the populace of "the evils and moral quagmire of video games".

Like I said before: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NewMediaAreEvil

God I miss the good old days of shows like Friends and Buffy. At least shite like DeGrassi and 90210 were exceptions rather than norms.

I know video game inspired episodes are almost universally ridiculous, but I am going to be legitimately furious is the twist is that the game developer was faking the threats to promote herself/her game. Hell, anything that even remotely suggests the bullshit gamergate has been putting it's victims through was justified would make me throw a rock at my screen.

Sandfox

I know video game inspired episodes are almost universally ridiculous, but I am going to be legitimately furious is the twist is that the game developer was faking the threats to promote herself/her game. Hell, anything that even remotely suggests the bullshit gamergate has been putting it's victims through was justified would make me throw a rock at my screen.

They'll have one side "win" and in the last seconds of the episode we'll get something to show us that the other side wasn't completely wrong.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
what does this have to do with gamergate?

It feels like a guy whose mentally deranged and commits a sinister act based on this persona of a "gamer" or something. I personally think it creates a stereotype for the future. All it could do is make a gamer look like a fool and since this world is a giant melting pot; that's all that will come from it. We live in a world with pedo, rapist, murderers, etc. and etc. There are weird, strange, and evil people out there who share the same hobbies and talents that we do.

From what I've seen SVU likes to show how gross people can be no matter who they are.

Well, guess I'll just assume I'm going to be pissed at the show then.

The last seven or so months of gamergate have been the literal worst thing to ever happen to the video game community/industry. Absolutely nothing good came out of it and it would be legitimately offensive for a show to suggest otherwise.

Zoe

This sounds like every other video game episode they've done.

I can't remember what they called the GTA clone, but "Another Youniverse" always cracked me up :lol

Therefore, public opinion needs to be engineered to ostracize those who aren't drooling in front of the screen watching TV, ignorant of how far quality has slid from what it was 20 years ago. In 1995, shows with the quality level of Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones were the norm, now they're the "best thing ever".
Uh, boy, you're going to have to refresh me on exactly what sort of shows had the quality of stuff like True Detective, House of Cards, Sons of Anarchy, etc. Like, I'll give you Seinfeld and maybe X-Files, but
God I miss the good old days of shows like Friends and Buffy. At least shite like DeGrassi and 90210 were exceptions rather than norms.
...I'm not sure if we're going to be on the same wavelength here.

Remember, this is American TV, it is the agenda of the executives to demonize any medium that is not TV. If Big Johnny is enjoying himself in Smash, he is not contributing to the ratings. Not contributing to the ratings equals not contributing to the margins, and the investors prefer their margins as high as possible. Therefore, public opinion needs to be engineered to ostracize those who aren't drooling in front of the screen watching TV, ignorant of how far quality has slid from what it was 20 years ago. In 1995, shows with the quality level of Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones were the norm, now they're the "best thing ever". Things like that need to be distracted of by warning the populace of "the evils and moral quagmire of video games".

Like I said before: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NewMediaAreEvil

... did you seriously just put Friends and Buffy on the same level of House of Cards and Breaking Bad?

HGH

Banned
what does this have to do with gamergate?

It gets them more views and ratings from people following a trending topic.
Like, seriously, how many people here went "Oh cool I wanna see that" and "I hope they shows these people for the real shit they are!" before this promo aired and oh hey it's every video game based episode ever?

Top Bottom