• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I played it for bit on my original 3DS, but the L button breaking permanently caused me to upgrade. It looked and played just fine though
This happened to me last MoHun. Luckily the CPP saved me, and I kept that broken 3ds in use for smash on occasion all the way until I got the n3ds. If it weren't for the upgrade, I'd still be rocking the old and busted OG 3DS.

anybody playing this on an original 3DS?

Trying to figure out if I should just buy the game or wait and think about upgrading to a new 3ds xl

I am. No issues at all. After 90 hours, my left thumb is a little sore and that's all.
Picture quality is great, I haven't seen any fps drop.

tragic

Developer
First decent set complete!

j8L73uW6CF7PY.jpg

j8eSceNL2aKIP.jpg

Set works great with Seregios Switch Axe - never, ever, sharpen. Evade to win! There are no tails safe from my gaaaaze!

Have a Honed Blade set in the works for Switch Axes other than Seregios =).

Ran Tetsucabra LR all the way to G. Whipped together an Evade +2, Evade Dist, Sharpness +1 set for G1-3. Now I'm ready to farm some real sets (so much more potential with God Charms!).

Spades

Just set up my noob room again; come in for some relaxed hunting!

ID:
35-9575-4052-5502

Pass:

Stress free, folks! All welcome.

anybody playing this on an original 3DS?

Trying to figure out if I should just buy the game or wait and think about upgrading to a new 3ds xl

I am. I use 'L' button to control the camera mostly and it's been fine. It might be frustrating at first if you're new to Monster Hunter but you will get used to it. I haven't had any performance problems or anything like that.

I'm sure the nub on the N3DSXL would be nice but I'm holding out to see if NOA will release the regular N3DS. Not that interested in the XL.

Demoli

Is there a summary anywhere on what does each event quest do? Akantar is Zelda weapon and Triple thunder is the armor, but what do the other ones do?

cHaotix8

I played on an old XL for the first week and my hands were really getting cramped up (downright painful sometimes) during long sessions. Having the circle pad pro on the new XL and the positioning of the buttons is a lot easier on my hands.

Kama_1082

Banned
My first post in this thread and I'm hooked. MH3U did nothing for me and it only took a few hours for me to click. Just started 4* quests with dual blades. Love it!

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Is there any reason to play 3 instead of this?

Different monsters and underwater combat, also the Wii U version is great.

If you're new to the series then trying to play 3U before 4U is ill advised, just go straight into 4U, it's opening is geared better for beginners.

No reason to go to 3U as a new comer.

Victrix

*beard*
Is there any reason to play 3 instead of this?

3U - different monster sets, different areas. It's also actually more friendly than 4U for soloing, as you can do all the online stuff explicitly solo, so all the games quests are accessible for you regardless of how much you can/do/enjoy mp.

Really I don't think you can go wrong playing MFHU, 3U, and 4U.

They all offer something slightly different.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
That feeling when you get the Rathalos Plate you need from a shiny drop.

Also, just beat my first Seregios. With Dual Blades. A weapon I'd used maybe five times ever previously. :lol

Now the real question. I asked earlier about making a new hammer for high rank. I was lucky enough to get everything I need to make the Seregios hammer in one fight, and it's a significant boost from the Ceanataur Head Axe. But on the other hand, I'm kinda enjoying dual blades now, and the automatic sharpening thing would come in much handier on DB than on hammer. I just don't quite have the materials to make them yet. And hammer is kinda my main weapon. Any opinions on which one I should make?

Thanks guys :)

Gonna download the demo now, seems right up my alley. Gonna take some time to get used to the controls (never played a full 3rd person game on 3DS before) and zone setup I imagine

Leezard

That feeling when you get the Rathalos Plate you need from a shiny drop.

Also, just beat my first Seregios. With Dual Blades. A weapon I'd used maybe five times ever previously. :lol

Now the real question. I asked earlier about making a new hammer for high rank. I was lucky enough to get everything I need to make the Seregios hammer in one fight, and it's a significant boost from the Ceanataur Head Axe. But on the other hand, I'm kinda enjoying dual blades now, and the automatic sharpening thing would come in much handier on DB than on hammer. I just don't quite have the materials to make them yet. And hammer is kinda my main weapon. Any opinions on which one I should make?

The Seregios ability is much more useful on Hammer than on DB, since you will probably not dodge 5 times every 10 hits on DB. On Hammer, it is more likely.

Randdalf

Just started playing this game on Tuesday, got to the second village in the volcano and I'm currently killing the Great Jaggi a lot in order to get materials to build Jaggi sets. I actually only defeated him for the first time today, and I consequently beat the Selwas, a Velocidrome, fought against but did not kill some bird-lizard thing, and beat that weird monkey in Ancestral Steppe.

bobohoro

Heh, tried Dalamadur solo on my first try to see what the fuss was all about, since GH meant that the first fight should be blind and I didn't want to drag down a random group. I had no idea what I was supposed to do for the first 10 minutes, still managed to evade everything just fine. People really die to that extremely projected beam attack? I mean, it caught me once in 45 minutes because I got stuck in a place, since I'm not familiar with the map, but that really shouldn't kill whole groups left and right. :O

Broke a few things and ended via subquest after 45 minutes, was probably pretty close to killing the thing even. Maybe I'll do it again online in a couple of hours.

Juraash

Heh, tried Dalamadur solo on my first try to see what the fuss was all about, since GH meant that the first fight should be blind and I didn't want to drag down a random group. I had no idea what I was supposed to do for the first 10 minutes, still managed to evade everything just fine. People really die to that extremely projected beam attack? I mean, it caught me once in 45 minutes because I got stuck in a place, since I'm not familiar with the map, but that really shouldn't kill whole groups left and right. :O

Broke a few things and ended via subquest after 45 minutes, was probably pretty close to killing the thing even. Maybe I'll do it again online in a couple of hours.

Does completing via subquest count for getting into G? I'll be doing the same thing probably tonight or tomorrow.

Infinite

The beam is sometimes random with it's trajectory and hard to dodge as a result.

Mupod

Screw trying to farm Zinogre and Stygian with randoms. Too many people try and capture the damn things.

it feels like 'capture for rare materials' was a rule that is now the exception. It's better to kill almost everything. I don't memorize every monster's loot table, so unless someone explicitly said not to capture I used to do it since it was safer. One too many bad experiences with Agnaktor wiping out parties in that tiny area he goes to sleep in.

But nowadays it's probably better not to assume capping will give you better loot aside from rathalos/rathian. Nothing a little communication can't fix but that's harder in this game too.

Kinsei

Banned
it feels like 'capture for rare materials' was a rule that is now the exception. It's better to kill almost everything. I don't memorize every monster's loot table, so unless someone explicitly said not to capture I used to do it since it was safer. One too many bad experiences with Agnaktor wiping out parties in that tiny area he goes to sleep in.

But nowadays it's probably better not to assume capping will give you better loot aside from rathalos/rathian. Nothing a little communication can't fix but that's harder in this game too.

I can understand that, which is why I said that killing has better odds for an umbrage.

Oh well, at least I got one on my second Stygian fight after leaving the room.

Iceman829

Delivered on: Friday, March 6, 2015
Thanks for shopping at Amazon.

I can't wait for the work day to end now, so I can get home and start slaying some monsters. This is going to be a good weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom