• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Trial Of Peter Molyneux by RockPaperShotgun

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
4bFUKnB.jpg

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/02/13/peter-molyneux-interview-godus-reputation-kickstarter/

John Walker engages in a no holds barred telephone interview with Peter Molyneux over the recent Godus problems and bad press. It is as earnest a look at the man as you will ever bare witness to:

RPS: Do you think that you’re a pathological liar?

Peter Molyneux: That’s a very…

RPS: I know it’s a harsh question, but it seems an important question to ask because there do seem to be lots and lots of lies piling up.

Peter Molyneux: I’m not aware of a single lie, actually. I’m aware of me saying things and because of circumstances often outside of our control those things don’t come to pass, but I don’t think that’s called lying, is it? I don’t think I’ve ever knowingly lied, at all. And if you want to call me on one I’ll talk about it for sure.

RPS: During the Kickstarter for Godus you stated, regarding that you don’t want to use a publisher stating, “It’ll just be you and our unbridled dedication (no publishers).” And five months later you signed with a publisher.

Peter Molyneux: Absolutely. And at that time I wish we had raised enough money to not need a publisher.

RPS: But you got more than you asked–

Peter Molyneux: We could have gone and we were asked to by publishers to publish the Steam version, but we turned that down. The economics of doing Godus, unfortunately Kickstarter didn’t raise enough money. Now the trouble is with Kickstarter, you don’t really fully know how much money you need and I think most people who do Kickstarter would agree with me here. You have an idea, you think you need this much, but as most people will say with Kickstarter, if you ask for too much money up front because of the rules of Kickstarter, it’s very, very hard to ask for the complete development budget. I think Double Fine have gone back and asked for more money because development is a very, very, it’s a very confusing and bewildering time, and it’s very hard to predict what will happen.

RPS: Yes, but you know that. You’ve been working in the industry for over thirty years, you know how much money it costs to make a game and you put a specific amount–

Peter Molyneux: No, I don’t, I disagree John. I have no idea how much money it costs to make a game and anyone that tells you how much it’s going to cost to make a game which is completely a new experience is a fool or a genius.

RPS: But you have to have enough experience to know the basics of budgeting a videogame, you’ve been doing it for thirty years!

RPS: OK, so you said that Bryan will be God Of Gods for six months. Just to double-check on this. When we spoke to you on 2012 you told us that it would be a significant amount of time, you estimated five or ten years.

Peter Molyneux: We what?

RPS: You said five or ten years, is what you told us.

Peter Molyneux: For what?

RPS: For being God Of Gods.

Peter Molyneux: No, I’ve always said that his reign would only last a certain amount of time but the God of Gods role, if Godus continues to be as successful as it is on mobile, could last that long. I mean there are mobile games that are being played now – and there are webgames that are being played now – that are decades old.

RPS: Let me quote, you said: “By the way, there would need to be enough time to make it meaningful for him in every sense of the word, but we could make it five years, we could make it ten years. I think I wanted before–“

Peter Molyneux: And then later on I came out and said it would be six months. And I said that again and again. What are you trying to do? You’re trying to prove that I’m a pathological liar, I suppose, aren’t you.

RPS: I’m trying to establish that you don’t tell the truth.

Peter Molyneux: Let me just ask you one question. Do you think from the line of questioning you’re giving me, that this industry would be better without me?

RPS: I think the industry would be better without your lying a lot.

Peter Molyneux: I don’t think I lie.

Theres a lot more where that came from, and it manages to take even more brutal turns so by all means go and read the entire article. This is a rare event.

Chairhome

Now the trouble is with Kickstarter, you don’t really fully know how much money you need and I think most people who do Kickstarter would agree with me here. You have an idea, you think you need this much, but as most people will say with Kickstarter, if you ask for too much money up front because of the rules of Kickstarter, it’s very, very hard to ask for the complete development budget.
Surely a seasoned developer like him would have a better idea.
I'm glad I never fed into his BS. He's the worst.

This is probably going to be an unpopular opinion but I think the interview was needlessly confrontational. There is a way to ask the hard questions without coming across like that.

Santar

I'm just gonna repost what I said in the other thread:
All Peter Molyneux did is overpromise his games, he didn't murder someone's dog or something. Poor guy, he always came across as a kind and humble person in every interview I've watched,
That interview was so shameless and respectless I couldn't even finish reading it.

This is probably going to be an unpopular opinion but I think the interview was needlessly confrontational. There is a way to ask the hard questions without coming across like that.
Completely agree.

Was reading this on my phone at lunch. Incredible interview, kudos to Walker.

I'm just gonna repost what I said in the other thread:
All Peter Molyneux did is overpromise his games, he didn't murder someone's dog or something. Poor guy, he always came across as a kind and humble person in every interview I've watched,
That interview was so shameless and respectless I couldn't even finish reading it.

What are you talking about? He guarenteed no publisher, but knowingly asked for less money then he could make the game for without a publisher.

Bgamer90

Banned

100% agree. You're not alone.

You can find a balance between going easy and basically roasting the person you are interviewing.

Wow im still working my way through this...but damn....peter just hates taking the blame.

He halfway takes a little then presents tons of reasons why its not his fault.

It has to be confrontational because Peter has evaded these types of questions for years and has continued to screw over consumers with false promises.

He's a snake oil salesman whose been able to weasel his way through the industry for decades. Someone has needed to call out his bullshit for a while now. RPS was the only ones with the cojones to do it.

Excellent interview. Is the writer usually like this? Reminds me of David Jenkins from Gamecentral. Molyneux acts so defensive and victimised for a problem of his own making.

Lanrutcon

And that's exactly the kind of opinion that's let him get away with shit for a fucking decade. Nobody ever looked him in the eye and said 'Dude. You're turning into a lying scumbag. What the fuck?'.

His behavior has earned him the ire he's enjoying. That interview was refreshing.

Tesseract

Banned
the trials and tribulations of a liar and thief, imaginary, captivating, tired, old genius who cheated the community and martyred himself

RPS: Let me quote, you said: “By the way, there would need to be enough time to make it meaningful for him in every sense of the word, but we could make it five years, we could make it ten years. I think I wanted before–“

Peter Molyneux: And then later on I came out and said it would be six months. And I said that again and again. What are you trying to do? You’re trying to prove that I’m a pathological liar, I suppose, aren’t you.

RPS: I’m trying to establish that you don’t tell the truth.

RPS: Just to clarify, five days ago Konrad wrote, “From the minute I played the alpha, I could see the direction Godus was heading in and I didn’t like it. It took half a year to develop contact with Peter personally before I was offered a design position, initially unpaid, and then another year working at 22cans to get a position there.” So just to be clear he says that he played the alpha and didn’t like it and then came to work for you guys.

Peter Molyneux: Yeah. And that’s fair enough. And he did something about it.

RPS: No, but you just told me that he started working for you before the alpha came out so that wasn’t possible.

Peter Molyneux: I think he had had a temporary– He certainly came to the studio– Let me ask. [shouting in background] Konrad!

[in distance] Konrad: Yeah?

Peter Molyneux: When did you first come to 22cans?

Konrad: [inaudible]

Peter Molyneux: December. 2013. Is that– No, that’s not before the alpha.

RPS: No, long after.

Peter Molyneux: I was wrong. But it’s not a lie.

Peter Molyneux: Well no, and and– Yeah, OK, you can carry on quoting me. Obviously I can see your headline now–

RPS: I don’t think you can see my headline now.

Peter Molyneux: Well I think I can.

RPS: What I want to get out of this–

Peter Molyneux: What you’re almost going to get out of this is driving me out of the industry.

RPS: No, what I want–

Peter Molyneux: And well done John, well done! And if that’s what you want, you’re going about it completely the right way.

RPS: If you were to be driven out of the industry it would be as a result of your own actions. I’ve done nothing but quote back things you’ve said and done.

Peter Molyneux: No [inaudible] me being hounded, which is what you’re doing.

RPS: I’m quoting back things that you–

Peter Molyneux: I must have given about fifty thousand hours of interviews and I’m sure if you go back over all of them you could– The only result of this is, I’ve already withdrawn mostly from the press, I’m just going to withdraw completely from the press.

[Since this interview was recorded, Peter Molyneux has done at least two other interviews with press on the same subject, including one with The Guardian which he says will be his last.]

CZooEXr.png

Fantastic interview. Well done. It crosses the line to sad a few times though, not because of the questions, but Molyneux showing how pressured he clearly is, with the "you don't want me around anymore and now you won't have it!!!" lines.

Ian

Yeah, that interview is needlessly harsh. Wow at the opening question.

I know you can call on me, John, ‘Oh you’ve got thirty years, surely you know what to do,’ but I would say that anybody who is creating something new and original and different, which Godus is, it’s almost impossible to ask for the right time, and in the end the amount of money that we have spent on making Godus is far, far exceeded what we got on Kickstarter.
Wasn't it entirely sold on basically being a Populous sequel?

If you take the average salary for someone in the industry, which must be about £30k, that’s 22 people, multiplied by £30k, divided by 12. You work out how many months Kickstarter money gives us.
Is 30k really average game dev salary?

But that wouldn't yield as many clicks, now would it?

I find it funny that, in an industry where journalists are so often reviled for being too cozy with the industry they report on, when one does the kind of piece that would be lauded elsewhere - in politics for example - it's FOR TEH CLICKS

OldRoutes

it is harsh, this is what walker posted on twitter
zWlxOqH.jpg

Who... who do you think they are? Robin Hood of the gaming world? It's not like the gaming community is not aware of Peter Molyneux habits of over-hyping his own games...

People buying his games should be interviewed, too.

Guys, he's been like that for over 20 years and you still all fall for it.

I find it funny that, in an industry where journalists are so often reviled for being too cozy with the industry they report on, when one does the kind of piece that would be lauded elsewhere - in politics for example - it's FOR TEH CLICKS

Are you seriously comparing politics to gaming? I mean, if a politician was caught doing something really nasty, that's something absolutely different.

Right??? We all had these questions. No one else was asking them.

Starting the interview with that questions was a bit much. But a lot of the follow up questions are exactly what we want to know. What the hell was he thinking this whole time?

Fury451

Banned

I agree. There were ways to ask the same questions in a less emotionally charged way.

I like that they were willing to go there though.

RexNovis

Banned
There is something about this interview that just makes me so very sad. I can't help but feel bad for the guy. As much as he has fell victim to his own hype he's also exhibited a clear passion for designing and creating games that have had a profound impact on the industry. He's a man who would rather shoot for the stars and risk plummeting crestfallen back to earth than to play it safe in the bounds of the forces that be. Honestly I think we need more people like that in the industry not less. He gives us a chance to see something wholly unique and if that means the man has to fail spectacularly along the way so be it. I know that gamers like to give him a hard time about his statements and promises but I sincerely hope he continues dreaming big in the hopes that some day he can take all of us with him. The thought of him quitting the industry as a result of all this is just absolutely heartbreaking.

Massa

It's very bad. Unfortunately that kind of behavior is quite popular in some communities.

I don't like the way RPS is talking to Peter M. here. It's disrespectful, the man has made his share of blunders but reporters speak to the CEOs of corporations that spill tons of oil into the ocean with more respect. Also, if anyone makes games out there, I'd pay lots of money to actually play a realized version of Fable that Peter M. promised all those years ago.

Ronok

This is exactly what the industry needs. Not another guy pussyfooting around the issue who accepts the dismissive response of a man as though he's in the presence of a god. Yes, people deserve the respect they've *earned* equally however, there comes a time when you lose that respect and you need to get called out on some things.

Kacho

Wow, that interview was straight fire. Peter only has himself to blame so I don't feel sorry for him in the slightest.

Peter Molyneux: Let me just ask you one question. Do you think from the line of questioning you’re giving me, that this industry would be better without me?

RPS: I think the industry would be better without your lying a lot.

Brutal.

jaju123

Banned
Harsh but necessary I think, to give Peter an idea of how people are feeling right now. It takes balls to interview someone so directly like that, and I don't think I could have been so confrontational in a situation like that, but I guess in this case the brutish method, although sensational, is somewhat warranted. Also, some of Peter's replies seem very delusional and amateurish. Certainly not replies that someone who actually knew what they were doing would make, such as the whole Michelle thing. Seems like he's lost his touch or never had it to begin with. Not entirely sane.

Bgamer90

Banned
People are saying he was unnecessarily confrontational, but arent these the questions we all kind of had?

I agree but there's a way to state questions in an interview to be professional while still getting the answers you want.

You don't open up an interview with "Are you a pathological liar?" -- The person being interviewed more than likely won't answer any more questions after hearing it.

Who... who do you think they are? Robin Hood of the gaming world? It's not like the gaming community is not aware of Peter Molyneux habits of over-hyping his own games...

People buying his games should be interviewed, too.

Guys, he's been like that for over 20 years and you still all fall for it.

Who do you think you are? He's a journalist and is asking questions that many seems to want answered, even if very harsh at times. I'm still rather sympathic towards Molyneux and I love some of his old games, and he's a very nice person. I do however approve of this intervie but I do also agree that people backing Molyneux are hilarious and this is their own fault.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I don't like the way RPS is talking to Peter M. here. It's disrespectful, the man has made his share of blunders but reporters speak to the CEOs of corporations that spill tons of oil into the ocean with more respect. Also, if anyone makes games out there, I'd pay lots of money to actually play a realized version of Fable that Peter M. promised all those years ago.

But that's a problem in of itself. Not really something you want to compare this to.

Oh boo hoo, a grown man got his feelings hurt for compulsively lying and taking his customer's money and time and shitting them away. This is exactly the kind of culpability we need in the industry.

Top Bottom