• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4's AF issue we need answers!

Purest 78

All of sonys first party studios and lots of 3rd party studios have implemented AF pretty well. From what I understand it's not taxing and doesn't Need much resources.

I'd love to hear from developers on this. The PS4 can certainly do AF, so why have some developers not implemented it the same as on XB1 and PC?

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the way to implement it is different on PS4 and some developers are just too lazy to do it.

Is anisotropic filtering CPU expensive by any chance? I didn't think/know this was the case.

i think so. On pc it seems like one of things I can usually turn off to increase my framerate dramatically. I'm on a gtx 660 ti with an amd processor. Most games run ok with the 660 but the processor is usually my bottleneck.

jediyoshi

I'm not looking at far away textures when trying to kill a two story monster breathing fire at me, sorry

It's not necessarily far away textures, it's when you're looking at a surface from an oblique angle. It could affect your gun inches away from your ingame view.

i think so. On pc it seems like one of things I can usually turn off to increase my framerate dramatically. I'm on a gtx 660 ti with an amd processor. Most games run ok with the 660 but the processor is usually my bottleneck.

That's completely unheard of. Are there actual benchmarks out there that have recorded tangible differences between AF settings?

Teletraan1

Banned
Thanks for putting it in laymans term for me. Hope Sony fixes it.

I doubt it has anything to do with Sony. Since it is only a handful of games that don't have AF it must be a developer choice/neglect. Perhaps it is different teams working on different platforms/builds of the games.

FranXico

I'd love to hear from developers on this. The PS4 can certainly do AF, so why have some developers not implemented it the same as on XB1 and PC?

I have speculated a while back that there could be a bug in middleware used for helping to port DirectX code that Sony would provide with the SDK, but no one has ever confirmed any of this, so I take I can rule that out.

CozMick

Banned
I don't know what to think about this issue.

Clearly the PS4 can output incredible amounts of AF in the best looking games ever made.

On the other hand why aren't more "less demanding" games implementing it?

It doesn't make any sense.

Izuna

Banned
Tell me which games on Xbox that don't have at least 4-8AF, I am certain this is just something they include and devs for PS4 consoles just don't bother switching it on.

pixlexic

Banned
sr.png

saints row

if anyone has more I will post them in the OP

pixlexic

Banned
Don't know if its anything Sony can do, since most games on PS4 DO have AF.

most? re you sure.. every DF article I pull has AF issues.

You cant really compare to exclusive games because you never know if it could have been better on xbone or pc.

viveks86

Don't know if its anything Sony can do, since most games on PS4 DO have AF.

I would think they could work closer with devs to find out what the problem is. My gut feel is there is some issue with their API which is preventing some engines from leveraging it optimally. Pure speculation, of course. One would think a game like driveclub would have it. It doesn't even show up in photomode and shots close to the road surface could look so much better with it. There's definitely some issue forcing developers to omit it as a tradeoff

The console clearly can do AF, because there's definitely games that display it. The only thing I can think of is that there's a higher overhead for using on PS4 over XB1, so most devs don't and use the resources on other things. It's very odd.

Truant

Supercharged PC, my ass.

This is really bumming me out. It makes games look far worse than they need to be. This is some 1999 shit right here.

Do you have full screen shots? Cropping a photo and enlarging it obviously makes it look shitty.

That is the point. Cropping it shows where teh AF problem is specifically, he is not getting rid of the 1;1 pixel mapping by blowing it up or enlarging it.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
"PS4 games NEVER have AF!"

*Lists 7 games out of over 300+*

Okay. I'm guessing its an issue you'd have to ask the dev on. There are plenty of taxing games that run really good AF on a higher level than XB1.

Supercharged PC, my ass.

Its not Supercharged PC. Its Supercharged PC Architecture, if your quoting Cerny's words. Nothing to do with power

Clearly the PS4 can output incredible amounts of AF in the best looking games ever made.

Indeed.

Are there UE or CryEng games that do have decent AF on PS4? Kinda hard to compare but it is really weird if there are games done on the same engine that do have decent AF but some just don't. Problems with the actual game engines perhaps?

Okay. I'm guessing its an issue you'd have to ask the dev on. There are plenty of taxing games that run really good AF on a higher level than XB1.

Got some pictures of these games in comparison?
Indeed.

Are there UE or CryEng games that do have decent AF on PS4? Kinda hard to compare but it is really weird if there are games done on the same engine that do have decent AF but some just don't. Problems with the actual game engines perhaps?

It is NOT an engine limitation.

Brohan

most? re you sure.. every DF article I pull has AF issues.

You cant really compare to exclusive games because you never know if it could have been better on xbone or pc.

At this moment you have gathered 7 games with AF issues on the PS4, that seems very little compared to the amount of games available.

Seems like more of a developer problem than an actual ps4 problem to me.

And i think that when it gets mentioned in a DF article that it just happens to stand out alot.

I believe it's hyperbole to say that this problem shows up in every DF article.

-griffy-

Banned
The console clearly can do AF, because there's definitely games that display it. The only thing I can think of is that there's a higher overhead for using on PS4 over XB1, so most devs don't and use the resources on other things. It's very odd.
"Most devs" do use it though. Most third party games have the exact same level of AF on both platforms. So the question isn't why most devs don't use it, it's what is it about these few select games that have it lower on PS4?

It would be great if someone could talk to the devs that made these specific games to find out what the deal is, because there doesn't seem to be a logical reason as to why these specific games have lower AF on PS4 when the vast majority don't have the issue.

vanx0

At this moment you have gathered 7 games with AF issues on the PS4, that seems very little compared to the amount of games available.

And i think that when it gets mentioned in a DF article that it just happens to stand out alot.

I think he's just trying to justify himself

pixlexic

Banned

it shouldn't happen at all. and we should have a answer to why it happens.

I know its hard for some people not to take it as a personal attack against their console of choice but it is happening and I at least want to know why.

cheezcake

This is clearly a Sony related issue and not a dev issue, pretty ridiculous I mean how long has AF been practically free on gaming PC's

CozMick

Banned
"Most devs" do use it though. Most third party games have the exact same level of AF on both platforms. So the question isn't why most devs don't use it, it's what is it about these few select games that have it lower on PS4?

It would be great if someone could talk to the devs that made these specific games to find out what the deal is.

Exactly. this isnt the majority, its the minority.

So do we question Sony or is it the devs?

This is clearly a Sony related issue and not a dev issue, pretty ridiculous I mean how long has AF been practically free on gaming PC's

7 out of 300+ games

Synless

We have had developers come out and say they console is fully capable of AF and are unsure why it didn't happen at the time lf release. It has nothing to do with the power of the system, which is plenty powerful enough.

viveks86

Saints Row as well? That's 3 pretty recent games that have the issue. The list seems to have a few more than I thought.

There are definitely a non trivial number of games with the issue. Sony should absolutely take a lead here and see what the hell the problem is. It's not in their best interest to blame the devs

geordiemp

Shit developers making multiple versions and not caring enough.

Games listed on here have more issues than just AF, Evolve for example is sub 30 FPS in places on Xb1 at 900p. That hardly shows weeks of optimising and polishing.

EG say some matchmaking took 20 minutes on Evolve, does that mean the Ps4 has poor network hardware. I don't think so.

Maybe is harsh but you would not get a big release game doing this (and Evolve is not a big release game).

Heck even shadow warrior on Ps4 had good AF.

it shouldn't happen at all. and we should have a answer to why it happens.

I know its hard for some people not to take it as a personal attack against their console of choice but it is happening and I at least want to know why.
As has been stated, the console can handle it just fine, other games use it, ask the developers why they didn't impliment it.

Nabbis

This is really bizarre. AF is something that i have always used since i had my first gaming PC. It's unthinkable to turn it off. It's quite honestly inexcusable in this day and age.

LiK

it's annoying but not actually noticeable when you're playing the games, imo. but yea, this is mainly a multiplatform problem. devs need to figure this out.

FranXico

Shit developers making multiple versions and not caring enough.

Games listed on here have more issues than just AF, Evolve for example is sub 30 FPS in places on Xb1 at 900p. That hardly shows weeks of optimising and polishing.

EG say some matchmaking took 20 minutes on Evolve, does that mean the Ps4 has poor network hardware. I don't think so.

Maybe is harsh but you would not get a big release game doing this (and Evolve is not a big release game).

Heck even shadow warrior on Ps4 had good AF.

Can someone post counter-example screenshots (of third-party PS4 games that do feature AF)?

JP

No idea why it's not happening in some games but looking at the list on the first page most of the games that struggle with it seem to be a mess technically in far more concerning ways than the quality of the AF.

Top Bottom