• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 | Impressions Thread of not shooting the messenger.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
UPDATED

Original Post:

Before I proceed I'd like to state that these views and opinions are expressly mine and mine alone, and by no means should they undermine the game's chances for success come the official release date.

Let me try to keep it simple. Games are interactive and audiovisual, so that's all I'll be giving thoughts on out of respect for RAD. So, here we go.

First off, the obvious. Visuals & Presentation:

The Order 1886 has a very explicit goal. That is, to be an authentically cinematic experience, complete with richly detailed period "sets", "wardrobe", "props", expert cinematography, lighting, etc. The team at Ready At Dawn have succeeded in every respect in recreating all of these elements which ultimately come together in a way never before seen in a video game. No detail is left unrefined, everything has such an expert level of craftsmanship and polish that it quite simply sets a new standard for production values and artistic integrity. Needless to say, both the film industry and the games industry would do wise to look at The Order as the current shining example of what the medium can achieve.

Now for more sobering thoughts. Gameplay:

Every notion of what some of you may consider to be proper game design has to be suspended. The game will hold your hand. It will walk you through areas. It will funnel you. It will bombard you with simple context sensitive button prompts and loads of sharply directed and acted cutscenes. For many, this is the bane of "cinematic" games, and that's the divisive crux in The Order. But for all those criticisms which can fairly be leveled against it, The Order succeeds because the physicality and feedback of the gameplay sections (which are by no means scarce) are so well executed and consistent with the games overall quality, that not allowing it its quirks would be to completely miss the point. Personally, I think it harkens back to Metal Gear Solid in terms of pacing, to Killzone 2 for its gunplay theatricality, and to Vanquish, for its replayability. It is by no means a short game, either. It's pacing is dictated by the unskippable cutscenes and expository quasi-interactive sections.

Story:

NO. Do yourself a favor and experience it like it was meant to be.

-----

Concluding remarks:

The Order 1886 is for lovers of old fashioned single player experiences. For those who want to see strong efforts in storytelling-focused games make a comeback. It's a highly curated museum piece for old-timey, story driven videogames, and if you cherish having a collection of finely produced games, then that's the value of The Order in a nutshell. If you're excited for a strong new IP with endless possibilities and want to see RAD put out new iterations of this level of quality, then give them the nod. I already have.

EDIT:

Y2Kev thread guidlines:

...Threads are not meant to be happy boxes for people to go kumbaya over and over again.

But it's getting really tiresome with this game. So I'll say it again: if you feel someone is TROLLING, that is genuinely trolling ("WOW FILMIC LOL") then PM a moderator. If someone is voicing a negative opinion and it's not a drive-by and it's not a garbage post and it's not metacommentary on the thread, then you can either a) engage with them or b) ignore them. But do not complain about them.

Conversely, if someone is shouting down negative opinions, or is being unwelcoming to discordant views, then please PM me the name of that person with an example post.

In any case, you are not a moderator so do not moderate.

What we will not have in the thread is pulling in stuff from outside sources who have/do not have the game. It will be a GAF thread for gaffers.

Mutombo

Vanquish in terms of replayability?

Vanquish played like a glorious, seven hour long smooth golden fart with rainbow colors.

Hard to top that.

balohna

Thanks, I've been on the fence and I'm still waiting for more impressions bit now I'm a bit more optimistic. I'm okay with linear as long as it's engaging and challenging in some way. The presentation stuff sounds nice, too.

oti

Banned
So I'd guess you participated in one of the Preview events that were Yesterday (or so), only played the first hour of the game and yet came up with a conclusion that sounds like you played through the entire game already?

Zukkoyaki

Sounds like The Order is exactly what I thought and hoped it would be. Thanks for the stellar write-up! I'm more than a little ready for Friday!

Loudninja

So I'd guess you participated in one of the Preview events that were Yesterday (or so), only played the first hour of the game and yet came up with a conclusion that sounds like you played though the entire game already?
No he has the full game and has being posting impressions along with several others.

ironcreed

Banned
For many, this is the bane of "cinematic" games, and that's the divisive crux in The Order. But for all those criticisms which can fairly be leveled against it, The Order succeeds because the physicality and feedback of the gameplay sections (which are by no means scarce) are so well executed and consistent with the games overall quality, that not allowing it its quirks would be to completely miss the point. Personally, I think it harkens back to Metal Gear Solid in terms of pacing, to Killzone 2 for its gunplay theatricality, and to Vanquish, for its replayability. It is by no means a short game, either. It's pacing is dictated by the unskippable cutscenes and expository quasi-interactive sections.

Sounds good to me.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Thanks for taking the time for the great impressions dude.

No, problem.

I tried to keep it short and sweet and touch on the more hot-button topics of the game's discussion. There's a lot of .gifs and videos around giving people a fair notion of the particulars like the TLOU-esque collectibles, etc.

If you guys have any more questions about gameplay related stuff that you'd like me to be more specific about, ask away.

i-Lo

Question pertaining to the story side of things:

Is it memorable and if it is then what stood out:

• Plot
  • Character interaction
  • Lore

I loved TLoU which in spite of a simple premise felt the overall story side of the game be so memorable thanks to the character interplay and how well the characters themselves were thought out. As such, would I find this game memorable?

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Vanquish in terms of replayability?

Vanquish played like a glorious, seven hour long smooth golden fart with rainbow colors.

Hard to top that.

I've never played Vanquish so I have absolutely no idea how to interpret this. As a lover of rainbows and a hater of farts (golden, or otherwise), I am conflicted.

EDIT: OP, I take your line about the story to mean that you enjoyed it, correct? I'd say a solid story makes up like 60% of what I want from this game.

Freeman

Banned
Sound like what I wanted from this game (could do without the hand holding if its overdone).

I'm getting this when I get my PS4 down the line.

QuikNez

Sounds OK, glad to hear the story and visuals are really immersive, but I'm still very cautiously optimistic.

W/out online features, the story and replayability are going to be key for me.

oti

Banned
No he has the full game and has being posting impressions along with several others.

Well, ok then. Thnaks for clearing this up. :)
I've seen some previews going on today (that event was just a few days ago, maybe even Yesterday) so it sounded a bit shady.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Curious what "by no means scarce" and "by no means short" mean to you, since both are highly subjective.

Have you finished the game?

Personally, I think it harkens back to Metal Gear Solid in terms of pacing, to Killzone 2 for its gunplay theatricality, and to Vanquish, for its replayability. It is by no means a short game, either.

happy%20man.jpg

That story section too.

balohna

How do most combat sequences play out? Does it feel like you're moving through corridors and shooting whoever you see, or do you get an open space to play in?

I dont mind the genre. As long as it's good, I'll play it. Thanks for the impressions, sounds like it would be a nice experience.

Derpyduck

Banned
Sounds like a game I'd enjoy once, but that one time is definitely not going to be at the cost of 60 dollars. Thanks for the impressions.

You started wrong.

He did right, many gamers these days don't appreciate old fashioned single player games so they are like children. They want multiplayer which they can afford $60 even if its repetitive with few maps but cannot pay $60 for the single player games even though the development and creativity required for this more.

hohoXD123

How is the story though? Considering they're going for this cinematic experience, I was hoping it would at least be decent. I'm sure you can say a few words without spoiling anything :p Thanks for the impressions regardless.

I'm really not sure about this one.. I want to support good single player experiences but the short length and my huge backlog and the likelyhood of price drops has me waiting.

I'm not exactly flush with extra funds after the Nintendo 3ds, majora, monhun, amiibo-pocalypse this week.

VinFTW

He did right, many gamers these days don't appreciate old fashioned single player games so they are like children. They want multiplayer which they can afford $60 even if its repetitive with few maps but cannot pay $60 for the single player games even though the development and creativity required for this more.

da fuk

GHG

Well said.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
How is the story though? Considering they're going for this cinematic experience, I was hoping it would at least be decent. I'm sure you can say a few words without spoiling anything :p Thanks for the impressions regardless.

The refusal to give you even a hint of the story isn't a clue?

lindseybp

Amen

What the fuck?

You started wrong.

Yup.

Because the only complaints about The Order was the fact that it has no multiplayer...

Top Bottom