• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade cover plate for New 3DS coming to Japan

Is there a reason why the XL doesn't have plates like this too? :(

It probably would have been too much to ask stores to stock two sets of faceplates (especially since we're up to over 50 designs now).

Probably also to add value to regular n3ds over the nxl. I know faceplates and the colored buttons gets me to favor n3ds over nxl, even before taking into consideration the better PPI. Amazing what cosmetic shit will do. :p

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
That is the PERFECT design for a LE bundle + the game. Put it on the New XL, have Xenoblade 3D be included on the system, & sell it in the US.

..........................that's not gonna happen, is it.....

samn

Is there a reason why the XL doesn't have plates like this too? :(

That's a good question, considering even in Japan the XL sells better than the regular (I think?). Maybe the faceplates are targeted more at those who tend to go for the regular, such as females and children, who might also be more into customization. Many of the faceplates are focused on the broadly appealing franchises - Mario, Animal Crossing - with Xenoblade plates being the exception rather than the rule.

Releasing sets of faceplates for both reg and XL may take up too much shelf space and be confusing to customers.

Ryfferr

It probably would have been too much to ask stores to stock two sets of faceplates (especially since we're up to over 50 designs now).

Probably also to add value to regular n3ds over the nxl. I know faceplates and the colored buttons gets me to favor n3ds over nxl, even before taking into consideration the better PPI. Amazing what cosmetic shit will do. :p

Also instead of just dropping $25 on a faceplate they're forcing you to drop hundreds for a new console. More profit for them I guess.

That is the PERFECT design for a LE bundle + the game. Put it on the XL, have Xenoblade 3D be included on the system, & sell it in the US.

..........................that's not gonna happen, is it.....
No, that is logical. NoA does not work on logic.

NeededSleep

is that a themed new 3ds? or just a face plate, cause if its just a face plate cant we just import it?

i was really hoping for a world wide xenoblade new 3ds bundle... but im thinking its not gonna happen

TheMoon

is that a themed new 3ds? or just a face plate, cause if its just a face plate cant we just import it?

i was really hoping for a world wide xenoblade new 3ds bundle... but im thinking its not gonna happen

read the text, don't just look at the pictures. or just read the title of the thread. any of the words.

ClearData

Couldn't Nintendo just make obscene amounts of money by selling regular n3ds and faceplates online and shipping then. Cut out the middle man and profit.

random25

I'm expecting NOA to release a limited edition n3DSXL for this, really. Good for those who have yet to buy one. Bad for those who have one already.

ngower

Wow. I've never played Xenoblade but I want that. Gorgeous design.

All aboard the n3DSXL NoA depression train!!!

LOFQC.gif

NoA truly is cruel...

Lol! that GIF expresses the frustration perfectly !

Zolbrod

At least faceplates aren't region locked and you can import them

..right?

Yes, but they're only for the regular-sized New 3DS, which the US is not getting.
You can't use them on the XL model.

I was expecting them to do something like this, but I bought a JP LL model anyway.
I'm sure they'll have some Xenoblade themes and badges by the time the game rolls around as well.

samn

Couldn't Nintendo just make obscene amounts of money by selling regular n3ds and faceplates online and shipping then. Cut out the middle man and profit.

They might be worried about alienating Gamestop, Walmart etc. Same reason eshop prices are so high with few sales. Retailers are so important for Nintendo.

Alex

The thing I don't understand that doesn't seem to be brought up so much, would be: why does the XL not support face plates?

Never understood that decision.

Yes, but they're only for the regular-sized New 3DS, which the US is not getting.
You can't use them on the XL model.

I was expecting them to do something like this, but I bought a JP LL model anyway.
I'm sure they'll have some Xenoblade themes and badges by the time the game rolls around as well.
There goes my wallet. NoA must not like money.

Ryfferr

The thing I don't understand that doesn't seem to be brought up so much, would be: why does the XL not support face plates?

Never understood that decision.

Profits. They get more when you buy an entirely new console than just buying a cover.

I think.

I'd be pissed if I resorted to getting the black n3DS XL instead of the LE and then saw this.
Still though, this just tugs the heartstrings of everyone here who has to deal with NOA bs. :(

SimonM7

Is it possible to put your account/games on two different units? I want an XL for playing on at home, but I could justify/rationalise getting one of these for the road. :>

Provided that you can actually use two concurrently.

TheMoon

Is it possible to put your account/games on two different units? I want an XL for playing on at home, but I could justify/rationalise getting one of these for the road. :>

Provided that you can actually use two concurrently.

No it's not.

As much as I wanted the smaller New 3DS, man I don't think I've ever seen people this pissed at NOA lol.
I'm a bit surprised too. Gaf generally defends Nintendo (not NoA specifically, but still).

Anyway, this is miles above any other cover plate so far. I wish NoA would think I'm worthy of this... sigh, too bad we're "different".

Top Bottom