• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kirby and the Rainbow Curse |OT| players gonna clay clay clay clay clay

maxcriden

kirby-logo2qoshp.png

XxlMlVD.png

Developer: HAL Laboratory
Publisher: Nintendo
Platform: Wii U
Release Date: Jan. 22, 2015 (JP), Feb. 20, 2015 (NA), H2 2015 (EU)
Players: 1 (GamePad only), 2-4 (Wiimotes as Waddle Dee Helpers)
Genre: Touchscreen Platforming
Nocturnowl: don't worry, JC will enjoy this for you in the meantime
OT subtitle explanation: My ex-Dedede got his new Meta friend, I'm like oh my god, I'm just gonna shake it (the Wiimote, that is)
Special Thanks: kubus!!!!! for the amazing graphics. Best viewed in Dark Theme.​

pHh0AT2.png

Do you have the magic touch? Then guide Kirby as he sets off on grand adventures in a hand-sculpted clay world. Draw lines on the touch screen of the Wii U GamePad controller to create rainbow-colored clay ropes to move Kirby around freely, or tap him to attack enemies or blast through obstacles. Transformations include a submarine, rocket and tank. In underwater levels, Kirby dons a swim mask. If his power level gets too low, a clay bandage appears on his head.

FEATURES:
• Kirby comes to life in a world of clay, which creates a beautiful backdrop for Kirby's adventure.
• You take control of Kirby with the stroke of a stylus and draw on the GamePad touch screen to guide Kirby through the world.
• Use the GamePad to control Kirby's many transformations in unique new ways.
• The intuitive drawing mechanic is a spiritual successor to Kirby: Canvas Curse for Nintendo DS that builds on the game play and takes it in a new direction.​

kXXNIsk.png

T2mqgop.png

i6elZOZ.png

CFSbvUB.png

B9bWTn1.png

OJ6M9UY.png

p6Mg7om.png

Wired - No Score

...as a proof of concept, Rainbow Curse works great for me. I don’t even need to look at the TV when the game is this good. It’s a little strange that the best home for touchscreen gameplay is now the Wii U, rather than the 3DS. But I’ll take it where I can get it.

GoNintendo

If you're willing to alter your usual gameplay style and take a different approach, Kirby and the Rainbow Curse offers up one of the most enthralling and magical experiences yet for this 'tough cream puff' I completely understand that some people aren't going to vibe with this game. I also know some gamers will avoid this title like the plague due to the cutesy graphics alone. There's also people that won't be willing to alter their usual approach to games to learn something new. That's all well and good. Not every game has to be for everyone. With that said, those people are going to miss out on an absolutely fantastic experience. Kirby and the Rainbow Curse provides an experience that is almost zen in nature, and that's something I'd like to see a lot more from this industry.

US Gamer - 5/5

Don't let Rainbow Curse's relatively small length put you off; it's a sublime experience that completely washes its hands of the padding most games employ to justify a retail release. If you're used to finishing games out of a sense of weary obligation, expect to be pleasantly surprised when this latest Kirby spin-off leaves you fully satisfied by the end of its final level.

EGM - 9/10

Bright, colorful worlds brought to life by a unique art style, coupled with challenging, diverse gameplay highlights yet another successful Kirby spin-off that is as good or better in many ways than its predecessor.

NintendoLife - 7/10

Kirby and the Rainbow Curse is perfect for a lazy Sunday afternoon: a pleasant roll through a gorgeous world, with some novel concepts, and one of the most beautiful games the Wii U has yet seen. However charming the game may be, Rainbow Curse is a few strokes from greatness: overly repetitive mechanics, underused ideas, and a failure to integrate its clay theme into gameplay in any meaningful way keep it from reaching the lofty heights to which it potentially could. Well crafted, but not a masterpiece.

We Got This Covered - 5/10

Kirby and the Rainbow Curse has its moments, but is ultimately marred by frustrating controls and questionable game design.

More at the Review Thread:

Kirby and the Rainbow Curse - Rolling, Painting, Polarizing REVIEW thread

lt519

Preloaded and ready to go! Very nice OT max, cuteness overload. (and it does look especially spiffy with the dark theme)

WonderzL

Banned
Beautiful OT and clever name, haha. I'll try to pick this up sometime this year, but I'm having some trouble with money... Splatoon is the priority, even though Canvas Curse is the GOAT Kirby.

Ryuukan

I hated canvas curse but I think my kids will like this and I can play with them without having to draw stuff

AdanVC

Beautiful OT, Max! So looking forward to this game. Most charming game of the year right here. Gotta buy play-doh later to make an actual clay Kirby and make it an amiibo hah.

slop101

Banned
Giant Bomb tore it apart,saying it felt soulless, that the controls meant you basically could never look at your TV while playing, and that they stripped out a lot of the elements that made Canvas Curse so great.

Seems like, with only being able to look at the touchpad instead of your TV to really play the game, they should've just released Kirby on the 3DS instead of the U. I just hate the idea of having to look down on the small screen on the tablet, when I have a big nice HDTV just a few feet in front of me.

Choomp

Banned
Oh Jesus that title. Lol. I'll get this t some point, art is irrestibly cute and Kirby games are usually fun to an extent.

Leninpest

So excited for this. Considering taking a long lunch at work to pick it up. My love for Kirby has made this week very hard to get through!

TripOpt55

I'm hoping I can rent this. I generally prefer the more traditional Kirby games, but I'm curious to try this. I never did play Canvas Curse. I love the artstyle here. If I like it I may track down CC too.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Seems like, with only being able to look at the touchpad instead of your TV to really play the game, they should've just released Kirby on the 3DS instead of the U. I just hate the idea of having to look down on the small screen on the tablet, when I have a big nice HDTV just a few feet in front of me.
Yeah, but then why play it on the small 3DS screen, when you have a big nice tablet offering much better graphics?

Sir TapTap

Great OT, can't wait for my copy to arrive

I don't know Yarn Yoshi is looking pretty damn charming with that adorable fire dog boss.

This and Yarn Yoshi make up for the good-but-boring aesthetic of the New SMB series. So glad we're still getting cool art styles.

El Odio

Banned
Aw I was hoping for the "claaaaayyyyyy lmao" title you posted in the review thread. My order from amazon hasn't shipped yet for tomorrow but theres still plenty of time for it to so I'm looking forward to picking this up when I go get lunch tomorrow.

Giant Bomb tore it apart,saying it felt soulless, that the controls meant you basically could never look at your TV while playing, and that they stripped out a lot of the elements that made Canvas Curse so great.

A 3DS Version would've had a similar problem just on a smaller scale. Unlike the original DS, the top screen is always used as the main screen for gameplay. Due to being a bigger screen, with the 3D. If this game was on the 3DS, you'd have to play predominantly on the smaller 2D screen. It could work but it'd feel weird using the much nicer big screen on top for your supplementary information.

Hmm, I'm on the fence about this, I've never been a huge Kirby fan but the drawing mechanic is intriguing.

It's not a traditional Kirby platformer; I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing in your case. I'd say track down a copy of Canvas Curse to play first but those are rare and would probably end of being more expensive than buying Rainbow Curse tomorrow!! Really wish I'd held on to my copy; I sold it like an idiot to GameStop when I was a teen...

Aeana

I really can't wait. I've been so excited ever since it was announced. I'm usually not the kind of person to get hyped about things, but I just loved Canvas Curse so much. Here's hoping it's even half as good.

Leninpest

Haven't a number of reviews mentioned that eventually you get used to looking at the TV while playing? This is how I use the internet browser and I rarely have problems. I don't think it's going to be nearly as much of a problem as people are making it out to be.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Why bother having reviews in the OP if you're only going to include positive ones?

Anyhoo, can't wait for this game. I've been wanting a Canvas Curse sequel for forever!

Bydobob

Does the game have a replay feature? Would somewhat mitigate having to watch the Gamepad while playing. I'll be picking up the game regardless, enjoyed canvas curse and I'm utterly sold on those gorgeous clay visuals. Damn at having to wait so long for the euro release.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Have this preloaded, can't wait. Hope it's at least reasonably decent compared to Canvas Curse.

I'm pretty excited for this game. Should receuve my copy tomorrow night as its coming from Amazon.

I never played all the way through Canvas Curse. But what little I played back at its released convinced me to buy a DS. At that time I was totally against the concept of two screens and chose the PSP as my handheld of choice.

AdanVC

I don't know Yarn Yoshi is looking pretty damn charming with that adorable fire dog boss.

So can we play this at midnight tonight?

Trueeee omg that dog boss fight. Looks so cute that I'm not gonna be able to kill the poor thing :C

Giant Bomb tore it apart,saying it felt soulless, that the controls meant you basically could never look at your TV while playing.

They really expected to go into the game being able to look at the TV while playing a touch screen based game? (Seems a tad foolish). I imagine they made similar comparisons with Captain Toad then as I will start playing it looking at my TV then get so caught up in it I realize I've been playing on the gamepad for the last 30 minutes and not noticed a difference!

The minute I saw it I expected it to be exclusively played on the gamepad and thought it was a nice idea to allow people who don't want to own a 3DS and a Wii U to enjoy some touch screen gaming with better graphics and slightly higher production values.

It is good the tablet is getting more use as an accessory.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
My big concern about this game is that it won't advance any of the ideas introduced in Canvas Curse. You know how Mario Galaxy 2 took Galaxy 1's ideas and made them more complicated, more varied, and more difficult? That's what I want with Rainbow Curse. But CC came out so long ago and it seems like RC is assuming people haven't played the first game, and that everything needs to be introduced again, and that the difficulty won't peak very high.

I dunno, that's more speculation / worry than actual impressions.

I hope Nintendo uses this style for another game in the future, because it just seems like a waste here seeing as you're looking at the Gamepad all the time. This would've been perfect for Yoshi (although I do also like the yarn aesthetic in Woolly World a lot too).

I just really don't see how this game could disappoint if you are a fan of Canvas Curse. I have been absolutely hyped out of my mind since the E3 announcement, and honestly, this along with Smash Bros are the only reason I purchased a Wii U for $300 last month. From the few trailers/gameplay footage I've seen, (been trying to avoid spoiling myself too much) the game looks to play very similar to CC which is one of my favorite games of all time. The negative reviews and impressions seem to be coming from people who never experienced the first game or prefer a traditional kirby platforming experience. That's fine, different strokes and all, but if you're a fan of Canvas Curse this will not let you down.

It's kind of weird to see the mixed reception though; I don't remember opinions being this scattered when Canvas Curse launched, that was praised to high heaven from what I recall.

I had a feeling that title would win. lol Have a bit longer to wait for this, but it will be worth it. It's only a week wait anyway, not so bad.

Exile20

quicklook https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWLGC_JVtWU

Lunar15

I just really don't see how this game could disappoint if you are a fan of Canvas Curse. I have been absolutely hyped out of my mind since the E3 announcement, and honestly, this along with Smash Bros are the only reason I purchased a Wii U for $300 last month. From the few trailers/gameplay footage I've seen, (been trying to avoid spoiling myself too much) the game looks to play very similar to CC which is one of my favorite games of all time. The negative reviews and impressions seem to be coming from people who never experienced the first game or prefer a traditional kirby platforming experience. That's fine, different strokes and all, but if you're a fan of Canvas Curse this will not let you down.

It's kind of weird to see the mixed reception though; I don't remember opinions being this scattered when Canvas Curse launched, that was praised to high heaven from what I recall.

There are some key differences, mainly that you can no longer copy abilities. So, I can see how it might be a different game than CC.

Gilby

I would be interested in hearing from someone who's used a tablet for their PC. I use one regularly so I suspect this particular problem won't apply to me, but maybe I'm making a wrong assumption?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Nah. The Wii U has the gamepad. It's perfectly capable of running the game. Just because you don't use a TV screen to play the game doesn't make it somehow inferior.

They really expected to go into the game being able to look at the TV while playing a touch screen based game? (Seems a tad foolish). I imagine they made similar comparisons with Captain Toad then as I will start playing it looking at my TV then get so caught up in it I realize I've been playing on the gamepad for the last 30 minutes and not noticed a difference!
I'm interested to know if the developer even considered pointer controls (any interviews coming up/happened?). I can understand a problem of lines being a bit wobbly (the comparison I was going to make was Ivy the Kiwi but that is straight lines only). If pointer controls would work it could help solve the problem of pretty game that I'm stuck watching on a 480p 5 inch screen.

Why bother having reviews in the OP if you're only going to include positive ones?
You really want a pessimistic OT? I remember the Tales of Symphonia DotNW OT ending with a one liner along the lines of "the game you should be playing instead: *link Tales of Vesperia OT*" . It just kind of soured the whole thing. That said the review topic linked should give a clear indication this game is getting mixed reviews.

Top Bottom