• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you have seen through until the bitter end

I finished Afterfall Insanity today. It was a gaming misery from start to finish. Clunky controls, bland, uninteresting story, boring and uninspired gameplay. The relief when it finished was huge.

What an idiotic thing to do. I disliked the game as much as I have ever disliked a game and yet I felt compelled to finish it. Throwing good time after bad and wasting precious time and life on the game. I started it in March 2013 and hadn't touched it again until last week. I could muster 20 minutes at most each time.

Has any one been as stupid as me and played a game through to completion even though it was almost painful to do?

The God of War games past the first one and the two psp ones are the most recent example of that for me. I really didn't enjoy the story or main character, but still beat them.

Halo (huehuehue)
Gears of War

Edit: Jk. Actually I'd have to say Black Ops 2. Dumb story chasing the main bad guy. Gets away. Chasing him again. Canon fodder. Cannon fodder. Kills him.

Good gameplay. Campaign execution is ugh a chore.

Philia

Quest 64 for me. That fucking game costs me pretty penny back then. I only sought to beat it to the end to make up for the cost before I traded it in.

But my husband got it worse. Star Ocean 4 full retail. YEAH. He did it. I couldn't believe it but yes and he hated it with every nerve in his body.

No, I give up on shitty games.

Sound, sound advice. NO MORE of this idiocy; if a game is bad I am deleting it.

I feel like a fool making the thread as it doesn't exactly paint my judgement in good light.

I felt similar to this after finishing Deadly Premonition although at least that game done some things right unlike the abomination I am talking about in the first post.

Diablo 3. I am not into the loot collecting genre anymore. And the game was absolutely dull as hell.

Still finished it. And the expansion. :/

-AC3....ugh, what a slog. There were several times when I was alone and said out loud "This game is fucking boring!"

-Borderlands 1, that game just didnt jive with me but I beat it.

-Deus Ex Human Revolution (prob gonna get flak for this one). Sure it had a ton of options and stuff but everything felt so gamey and Adams VA was so friggin terrible it was laughable at times. Shooting was awful, stealth was just ok at best and the story didnt hold my attention at all (yes, I get the symbolism and all that noise). I hated just about every minute of this game.

The Last of Us. Way too long, overdramatic, a shitload of padding, predictable encounter environments, etc. Just not a good experience to me but I kept playing to discover what was so magical and life-changing about the story. Got some giraffes and a ham-fisted ending.

mclem

I draw the line at painful, but I've certainly found a few games a slog.

So, I thought I'd find which I've ranted about in recent years - by the simple metric of searching NeoGAF for places where I've used the term "Bloody-minded" or "Bloody-mindedness"!

Persona 1:
To be fair, I'd say that for Persona 1, he's entirely right. I played through the PSP remake of that and it required an impressive level of bloody-mindedness not to give up.

The Elder Scrolls: Arena:
That said, Arena... shows its age. It's impressive and ambitious, but also flawed; it'd require a certain amount of bloody-mindedness just to make it through. Daggerfall does everything a bit better (but is perhaps simply too large for its own good)

Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days
I generally *do* have the sort of mindset that can deal with a bloody-minded grind as part of my commute... and even I got worn down by it over time. Actually, the thing it reminded me most of was Assassin's Creed 1 - just so *samey* all the time. Where were the minigames? Even the Olympus Colloseum - inherently *designed* to be a diversion from the main questline - was, in this, just repurposed into being more of a slog.

Fbh

One more vote for LA Noire.
Still love the concept of the game but everything was dissapointing. Open world with nothing to do in, dissapointing story, dissapointing "investigation" gameplay, dissapointing "interrogation" gameplay.
Halfway through I wasn't having much fun with it but since I had already paid for it I decided to finish it

Also the 3DS Kingdom Hearts.
I don't really like the franchise but I heard good things about it and I had the chance to get ir really cheapt. Combat sucks, story sucks, gameplay felt awkward and the character swap mechanic is one of the worst ideas I've seen in any recent game. Was happy when I finished and happy that I actually managed to sell it for $5 more than I had paid for it

Zomba13

Sonic 06. I needed to see how bad it was first hand and I had to beat it. If I didn't I wouldn't know true pain and suffering. Everything that has happened to me since then will always be measured as "was it as bad as Sonic 06?" and the answer has always been no.

marrec

Banned
The one game I slogged through to the end without really wanting to was Dungeon Siege III. Game was alright, but definitely wasn't worth the time investment. Most other games I just put down if I'm not digging them.

Ushay

Watchdogs, I friggin hated it, every damn second. But some some unexplainable reason I saw it through to the end.

Hated it!

I have a love/hate relationship with Ubisoft games. Far Cry 4 for example, absolutely loving it. Assassins Creed 3? Despised it. Assassins Creed 4? Loved it.

To echo the sentiments of others, L.A. Noire. Not a fan, of the investigating and interrogating. At least it looked really nice, especially the facial expression tech, hopefully it will be used in other games.

Final Fantasy XIII was way too long for it's own good. I actually started enjoying it once I got to Gran Pulse. It wasn't terrible, just not very compelling. Overall I enjoyed it, a solid 7/10 in my opinion.

Giran

Tales of the Abyss and Tales of Symphonia. The only two Tales games I played. While I think both of them are decent games, they really overstay their welcome. The combat just gets old after a while, the story, the characters and the setting weren't too interesting either, so past the 30 hour mark I just completely lost the will to play and finish them. I did it anyway to strike them off my backlog, but it was a joyless struggle.

Also Rogue Galaxy. The game started off promising, but soon went to shit. Stuck with it anyway.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Killzone: Shadow Fall. Quite possibly the worst single player campaign I have ever played in a game. I don't know why I finished it. I guess I just wanted my $60 worth.

EDIT: I'll throw FFXII in there too. Wow. I want like 50 of those hours back.

To echo the sentiments of others, L.A. Noire. Not a fan, of the investigating and interrogating. At least it looked really nice, especially the facial expression tech, hopefully it will be used in other games.

Final Fantasy XIII was way too long for it's own good. I actually started enjoying it once I got to Gran Pulse. It wasn't terrible, just not very compelling. Overall I enjoyed it, a solid 7/10 in my opinion.

Funnily enough, I stopped playing when I hit Gran Pulse. I felt weak, perhaps I was playing the main story wrong. That doesn't seem to make sense though, when you consider the linearity. I need to go back to it as XIII-2 seems to be fairly well received and I'd love to play Lightning Returns, no matter how goofy it is.

Fitts

The two games that broke my habit of playing every PS+ freebie were DmC and Tomb Raider 2013. The former wasn't so bad to get through as it's fairly short and offers little in the way of challenge, but it was still awful. Tomb Raider, on the other hand, seemed to take forever to slog through. The breaking point was toward the end of it when my girlfriend asked me why I was still playing it. I hadn't actually told her how I felt about the game, but she could visibly see that I wasn't having a good time with it. I could only respond with "I have no idea." At least her question was able to break the ice and I felt comfortable enough to share my outrage over the terrible plot with her as we both laughed at it playing out on screen. That at least brought a level of entertainment.

Sephzilla

Devil May Cry 2, DmC, and Tomb Raider

DMC2 I forced my way through hoping that eventually a story would pop up and that the gameplay would get better (it didnt).

DmC I forced my way through simply because I'm a fan of the original franchise, and because I wanted to see if the story would actually get worse (it did).

I'm glad I forced my way to completing Tomb Raider, the last third of the game is so much better than the first two thirds.

Tenebrous

This crap. QTE, cutscene, cutscene, shallow easy gameplay, cutscene, crap story, shallow easy gameplay cutscene, the end. Waste of 6 hours.

TombRaider_hero_Survivor.jpg

Syf

Banned
Star Wars Galaxies. Kept playing til the moment the servers shut down. RIP you magnificent POS.

aravuus

Oh man, you couldn't have chosen a better time to post this thread.

I'm going through Arc Rise Fantasia, and this shit is absolutely insane. The plot is like any other save the world JRPG plot, which I'm fine with, but the character's just make this game. They are painfully stupid, to the point that every conversation and exchange, especially with the rival group, becomes the most hilarious thing ever. Pretty sure about 90% of the plot and conflicts could have been skipped if the characters either listened to whatever people are saying to them or opened their own fucking mouths for a couple of seconds.

The game also seems to not understand how foreshadowing works. Almost every single twist so far has been hinted at so painfully obviously you have to be a mongoloid to not get the "hints". The best thing is, sometimes the characters also see or hear the hints but still don't manage to put two and two together.

At least it's pretty fun to actually play though, so I'm definitely gonna see this trainwreck through lol.

e: i feel like i should have kept the english dub though. i can't even imagine how awesome this would be with the embarrassing va.

Naked Lunch

Fallout 3. Suffering through gameplay that piss poor, for what? Never again Bethesda. Granted it took me years to finish it because I kept quitting and returning for some reason.

Duke Nukem Forever.

For some reason, the fans of that game don't listen to people's criticisms if they've only played some of the game.

I played the whole thing. It's fucking terrible.

Top Bottom