• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New 3DS screen scanlined..normal?

HF2014

Ok, decide to jump on a new 3ds xl ?but i notice like a scanline effect ( even with 3d off ) i was not noticing on regular 3ds xl. Its nothing major, but i was not seeing that . I see it more when you move up and down. Is my new 3ds buggy or its just normal?

samn

This is why I went for a regular n3DS. Nintendo desperately need to up their resolution next time.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
The original XL seems to have scanlines when in 2D. Turn on 3D and it looks more like an even square grid. Either way you see a lot of dithering all over everything. One of several reasons I only want the normal size of the n3DS.

big_z

OP are you talking about the black space between the pixels or something else? I think everyone should be able to see the spacing between the pixels but ive seen a few people say theres some sort of flicker effect that looks kinda like the the sceen is refreshing every other line of pixels slightly off. it looks like this but to a lesser degree.

m5htTcI.gif

HF2014

OP are you talking about the black space between the pixels or something else? I think everyone should be able to see the spacing between the pixels but ive seen a few people say theres some sort of flicker effect that looks kinda like the the sceen is refreshing every other line of pixels slightly off. it looks like this but to a lesser degree.

m5htTcI.gif

Yop look a bit like this. I was not seeing it on my regular 3ds xl. Kinda found that strange that its more noticable

big_z

I notice this too.
Also my bottom screen is tinted red so all blacks are redish which is annoying.

the red tint is because Nintendo does not calibrate the screens. I posted instructions on how to check how off your screens are in this thread.

I wonder if the flicker problem is due to further cost savings during manufacturing. It seems fairly rare so far though, or at least ive only seen a few complaints about it.

I wonder if the flicker problem is due to further cost savings during manufacturing. It seems fairly rare so far though, or at least ive only seen a few complaints about it.
Could it be auto brightness? I know power saving brightness would do funny things to the image.

big_z

Could it be auto brightness? I know power saving brightness would do funny things to the image.

auto brightness might be worth checking with this new flicker issue. also testing it the brightness locked to different levels. maybe the OP can try and report back.

the effect does remind me of pwm issues computer monitors have which is something tied to screen brightness in most cases, usually lower brightness makes it worse.

HF2014

I tried everything, auto brightness, power saving on and off, lowering screen brightness, i notice it. If everyone seem to see it the. Its normal, but the way i see its was more blurry( well we were seeing no aniso filtering ) on regular 3ds xl, now we see some scanline.

Im a little bit dissapointed, was expecting something better, but im not seeing it honestly. I feel i kinda trade 4 quarter for a dollar,...but , i have nothing to say about the 3d effect, it look way better now

HF2014

It kinda annoy me, i really notice it and i cant get used to it. I will call Nintendo to see what they have to say about that. I sont think thats normal, mu 3ds xl and the 2ds we got for my girlfrinds daughter diesnt have that problem

HF2014

Ok called Nintendo support. I will ship it for repair. Will give an update to see if this is normal. IMO its not normal, my normal 3ds xl doesnt give me this hard to look feeling. Will give upfate in a few weeks i guess...

big_z

have you tried any demo units in store to see if they suffer from the same issue?

im really curious if its a normal defect to due hardware changes/cost savings. things like this annoy the hell out of me and I was going to sell my 3ds and get a n3ds but maybe ill hold onto it until I can compare screens.

I took a photo off-screen on my n3ds (non-XL) and it's there too.

10932280_909357352408270_1418856564_n.jpg

Left is Genesis over RGB on a CRT monitor. Right is - ̗̀ New ̖́- 3DS (non-XL) with 3D off.
There is a scanline effect for sure, but it's not authentic at all.

big_z

Left is Genesis over RGB on a CRT monitor. Right is - ̗̀ New ̖́- 3DS (non-XL) with 3D off.

scan lines aren't the problem, its alternating rows of pixels looking like they flicker a bit.

HF2014

have you tried any demo units in store to see if they suffer from the same issue?

im really curious if its a normal defect to due hardware changes/cost savings. things like this annoy the hell out of me and I was going to sell my 3ds and get a n3ds but maybe ill hold onto it until I can compare screens.

I havent tried a demo before purchase. Well i drop a call to nintendo and i will ship it so they can look into it. Its a bit anjoying to see all these lines, when with the old 3ds xl it was not a problem. Will wait and see what they say about this. Its very strange. I dont move, the screen is perfect, but as soon as i go vertical let say, in animal crossing as example, also tried ocarina of time, and i see these lines, its like a refresh problem i dunno.

As soo as i get new info from nintendo i will post here to say what they found..just waiting for my shippment instruction...over 24 hours and no email argh...

HF2014

I can tell you that i dont see it with mu eye on my 3ds xl, but the new 3ds xl, i really see it.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Hey, actually, my screen was looking weird, and I think I might have the answer...

Unlike the original 3DS, the 3D Slider actually has to click off when you push it down. I made this mistake, and had the 3D slightly on at the lowest frequency, which causes a weird distortion. Finally I realized you had to click it down further to turn it off, and the screen look better.

Or maybe I'm misunderstanding your issue.

Anony

the screen is 800x240 (or whatever it is)
the horizontal pixels are 2x as thin as the vertical, so there's more resolution relatively speaking fit to 16:9

HF2014

Hey, actually, my screen was looking weird, and I think I might have the answer...

Unlike the original 3DS, the 3D Slider actually has to click off when you push it down. I made this mistake, and had the 3D slightly on at the lowest frequency, which causes a weird distortion. Finally I realized you had to click it down further to turn it off, and the screen look better.

Or maybe I'm misunderstanding your issue.

Na, not my problem. My slider is clicked off, still got the issue. I will trynto call where i bought it first to see if they received a new one before sending it and try to exchange it. Its an effect i was not seeing on my old xl . Playing with 3d off.

Looz at the .gif big_z post. It kinda does that when moving vertically, not as big as the .gif show, but i see it a bit like it. Never saw that on our old xl.

big_z

Na, not my problem. My slider is clicked off, still got the issue. I will trynto call where i bought it first to see if they received a new one before sending it and try to exchange it. Its an effect i was not seeing on my old xl . Playing with 3d off.

Looz at the .gif big_z post. It kinda does that when moving vertically, not as big as the .gif show, but i see it a bit like it. Never saw that on our old xl.

did you try comparing it with demo units in stores or another n3ds?
im going to order a few n3ds when theyre in stock to make sure I have one with defect free screens. it was a nightmare finding a good unit with the original xl.

HF2014

Update

Ok i finally receive back my New 3ds xl back from nintendo...and guess what, the problem i see is still there. Called back nintendo and they said they replaced the screen.

So i decide to take it further and do some more testing. This time, i put my glasses on!

Well, my conclusion , its that now since the screen is a better quality build, well, you now see more the pixel, scanline effect. By looking closely with my glasses at my old 3ds xl, i kinda see it more, but not as apparent as the new 3ds xl. Id love to see another new 3ds xl to compare, but i guess its now just that we just see more of the pixel linings because of the better screen.

Guess i have to get used to it. But as soon as i can try another new 3ds xl, il, update.

the screen is 800x240 (or whatever it is)
the horizontal pixels are 2x as thin as the vertical, so there's more resolution relatively speaking fit to 16:9

Wow, this explains an awful lot.

In 2D mode you can't really see the vertical separations between pixels, instead only seeing the horizontal gaps -- which is why they look like scanlines.

But in 3D mode you see both vertical and horizontal separations between pixels on the 'pixel grid', since you get 400 x 240 per eye, instead of 800 x 240 "merged" to make one 400 x 240 image. I hadn't actually noticed this until now, but it's dead clear on anything I try (just tried Etrian Untold).

Based on this, the scanlines are indeed normal, and they probably aren't scanlines. Unless you have them in 3D mode.

Peltz

Wow, this explains an awful lot.

In 2D mode you can't really see the vertical separations between pixels, instead only seeing the horizontal gaps -- which is why they look like scanlines.

But in 3D mode you see both vertical and horizontal separations between pixels on the 'pixel grid', since you get 400 x 240 per eye, instead of 800 x 240 "merged" to make one 400 x 240 image.
I

By the way, this is true for both the OG 3DS and OG 3DS XL as well.

Also, I have a N3DSXL with an IPS panel and I do NOT see any flickering. I'm sitting here actively trying to make myself see it and can't.

Dryk

The original XL seems to have scanlines when in 2D. Turn on 3D and it looks more like an even square grid. Either way you see a lot of dithering all over everything. One of several reasons I only want the normal size of the n3DS.
When the 3d is off the pixels blur into unbroken horizontal lines.

Top Bottom