• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Machines, final Steam Controller, new living room devices, and SteamVR at GDC

Steam-Machines.jpg

Press Release:
February 23, 2015 - Valve will show a family of new Steam devices at next week's Game Developers Conference (GDC) in San Francisco, CA. Products being demonstrated at GDC include Steam Machines with the final Steam Controller, new living room devices, and a previously-unannounced SteamVR hardware system.

Steam has Reached Over 125 Million Active Accounts Worldwide
In the last year, Steam added new services and features - including In-Home Streaming, Broadcasting, Music, and user created stores - as it grew to over 125 million active accounts worldwide.

Valve Website Confirming SteamVR Hardware:
With the introduction of SteamVR hardware, Valve is actively seeking VR content creators. Are you a developer or publisher interested in experiencing the new SteamVR hardware? We’ll be giving scheduled VR demos during the week of GDC, March 4th-6th, 2015, at Moscone Center in San Francisco.

Interested in trying the SteamVR Dev Kit?
Space is limited – schedule your demo today!
Via: http://store.steampowered.com/universe/

Official Twitter Account for SteamVR: https://twitter.com/SteamVR/

EDIT: 3/3/2015

Kotaku: No, Valve Isn't Holding a Press Conference Today:
The running theory: Valve has something big to announce at their press conference today.

The problem with that theory: Valve isn't actually holding a press conference today.

The actual truth: Sergiy Migdalskiy, an engineer at Valve, is holding a GDC presentation on physics optimization strategies for game programmers today at 3pm. There is no press conference, nor are we expecting any surprise Half-Life 3 announcements there. To quote the presentation: "Topics include numerical integration, contact manifolds, destruction, solvers, networking, and optimization. But you don't have to take my word for it. I asked Valve marketing boss Doug Lombardi this morning if there was some secret presser that Kotaku wasn't invited to. "Big mix up," he told me.

Steam Controller Leak:
leak_controller.png

Engadget: CyberPowerPC takes a second shot at Steam Machines:
Whatever happens, this year's roster will be cheaper. The starting Steam Machine-E will cost $449 (down from last year's promised $499) with an entry-level AMD quad-core chip and unnamed NVIDIA graphics, while the $549 Steam Machine-P will kick that up to a 3.2GHz Intel Pentium and AMD Radeon R9 270X video. Performance-minded players will want to look at the Steam Machine-K, which touts a 3.5GHz Core i5 and NVIDIA's GeForce GTX 970 for $999, and there's even a special, eye-searing orange Steam Machine-X at $1,399. That's a lot to spend on hardware that will likely be a bit behind the curve by the fall, but it's good to see at least one notable PC maker that hasn't had second thoughts about backing Valve's TV gaming efforts.

SteamDB expanded their post

Valve's GDC Schedule

Unless Valve starts doing press releases/interviews, there probably won't be anything on Monday (today).
There might be some news on Tuesday, but Wednesday is when the actual expo starts and when people get hands-on experience with the stuff Valve is bringing.

This page updates automatically so just check in once in a while to see if there's any news.

All times are in PST.

Monday

Nothing Valve related today, if news pops up we'll be sure to post it.

Tuesday

11:15am-12:15pm: Physics for Game Programmers: Robust Contact Creation for Physics Simulation by Dirk Gregorius (Valve)

3:00pm-4:00pm: Physics for Game Programmers: Physics Optimization Strategies by Sergey Migdalskiy (Valve)

Wednesday

10:00am-6:00pm: GDC expo: Valve doing press demos of HTC Vive, showing off new Steam Controller/Machines etc.

5:00pm-6:00pm: Advanced VR Rendering by Alex Vlachos

Thursday

10:00am-6:00pm: GDC expo: Valve doing press demos of HTC Vive, showing off new Steam Controller/Machines etc.

10:00am-11:00am: glNext: The Future of High Performance Graphics (Presented by Valve)

Friday

10:00am-3:00pm: GDC expo: Valve doing press demos of HTC Vive, showing off new Steam Controller/Machines etc.

Livestreams

According to Gamespot no Valve talks will be broadcasted by them during GDC. They say it's unlikely they'll be broadcast at all. We'll have to rely on people on the ground. Videos of the talks will be available in the (paid) GDC Vault after GDC.

Tenebrous

In before people complain about the Steam controller without knowing it's audience.

Really looking forward to seeing the final design. As someone who would like to play certain PC games on the TV without using a wireless KB&M, this seems like a godsend.

Been waiting for that damn controller for too long. C'mon, I need something I can use comfortably that works better than clunky control sticks!

mjp2417

Banned
In before people complain about the Steam controller without knowing it's audience.

Really looking forward to seeing the final design. As someone who would like to play certain PC games on the TV without using a wireless KB&M, this seems like a godsend.

Same. I really hope they nail it.

bede-x

125 million active accounts! Wasn't it just 75 million two years ago? They're growing at quite a rate. How do they define active accounts these days?

Kurdel

Banned
Hyped, this has been a super long cock tease.

I appreciate the idea of forward facing R&D, but this whole thing has been dragging along for over a year now.

Esit: Can we get the source OP?

MercuryLS

Banned
I'm super excited for SteamOS, the final Steam Controller and some new Steam Machines. I'm ready to get into PC gaming in a big way.

bede-x

Nope, 75 million was January last year.

Holy crap. 50 million in one year where they're competing against newly released next-gen consoles. Have they changed what they count as an active user, since that growth rate is astounding?

Bodes really well for the future of PC gaming.

Nzyme32

Genuine question, who is the audience for the steam controller?

Me!

Someone who wants to play any PC game in a room with a couch / bed / no place for mouse and keyboard.

There are plenty of games that do not work at all well with traditional analogue sticks

Sendou

How good are we expecting this controller to be at playing gamepad oriented games

That isn't the primary concern here. You want to play games like that? Good then go buy a Wii U Pro Controller, XBONE Controller or DS4. What if I want to play some PC games where mouse and KB is the only feasible controller option? Well it no longer has to be so. That's what the Steam Controller is for.

Also I expect it to be completely fine for most gamepad oriented games. It'll definitely be better for genres like FPS.

Me am excited to play many games that don't have controller support or play shitty with controller (FPSes), on my couch. Just give me a pre-order button

Zia

I skipped GDC this year due to finances. Fuck me.

Also, sounds like those expecting a game will be sorely disappointed, but I had doubts about Valve actually bringing their own kit to the market. Exciting stuff.

Teeth

I really want to want the controller, I just don't know what the hell I'd use it for.

Games designed for m&k usually have interfaces that don't work that great at 8 feet and there's no way I'm playing a shooter with a touch pad instead of a mouse.

The Cowboy

Man i hope that the controller is coming soon, it will be nice to see the final design BUT i really just want to see the release date for it.

Nzyme32

Holy crap. 50 million in one year where they're competing against newly released next-gen consoles. Have they changed what they count as an active user, since that growth rate is astounding?

Bodes really well for the future of PC gaming.

I think it's also part of a reduced barrier to entry. Lots of people I know now supplement their consoles with Steam in some way, whether it's just small indie or F2P games, or football manager & Civ V acting as a gateway

Kurdel

Banned
Steam is bringing the best games and user-generated content to exciting new destinations. At GDC 2015, we’ll be giving demos of the refined Steam Controller, new living room devices, and a previously-unannounced SteamVR hardware system.

Refined or final?

And that twitter account looks fake as hell.

Nzyme32

Refined or final?

And that twitter account looks fake as hell.

No idea on the former.

The account is real, or at least that would be the explanation for the Valve employees following it and the recent post. Was only just created 5 min ago

Bizzquik

I've been waiting for a GDC thread!

So much hype. Biggest GDC in....forever. I think we need a one-stop-shop for GDC, but this'll do until then.

Coming to GDC:
* Steam Machines, Steam Controller, SteamOS .... Valve's vision for the future
* Facebook brings Oculus Rift (rumored?) .... is 2015 the year of the consumer release?
* Microsoft, Windows 10, and Xbox One .... might we see PC-to-XB1 streaming revealed?
* DirectX 12
* OpenGL

Top Bottom