• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Machines, final Steam Controller, new living room devices, and SteamVR at GDC

Engadget are the only ones to speculate Valve making their own box. And that was in regards to "new living room devices", which a couple of us have equated to small streaming solutions.

Kinthalis

Banned
That sounds really nice.

Just need a couple more years for GPUs to get cheap enough for 4K and OLED yields to become more reliable for consumer pricing.

I kind of wonder what the next-generation consoles are going to do with 4K becoming more ubiquitous over the next several years.

Consoles will do nothing. Console gamers will claim that the eye cannot see above 900p.

Kinthalis

Banned
In terms of Steam machines, I'm hoping for something with a ~750 ti GPU for $400-450, hitting console price and performance range.

Hmmm, I'm hoping for more like a GTX 960. I could be dreaming though.

And a 750ti is fine for now. As long as in 3 years Steam machines can deliver atleast twice that performance for about the same price, it's all good.

Kinthalis

Banned
You're on a solid anti-console gamer spree today aren't you.

Well, it's true isn't it? Consoles are fixed hardware. They can't do anything about 4K.

And It's what console gamers claimed last gen wasn't it? that there was no noticeable difference between 720p and 1080p. But nice of you to stop by and comment.

Well, it's true isn't it? Consoles are fixed hardware. They can't do anything about 4K.

And It's what console gamers claimed last gen wasn't it? that there was no noticeable difference between 720p and 1080p. But nice of you to stop by and comment.

You're generalizing and making assumptions. I'm almost exclusively a console gamer and fully agree with you... As do loads of others I'm sure. It's not black and white as you proclaim.

But thanks for the kind words mate!

RedSwirl

I have a feeling the next set of consoles is going to stick with 1080p. They'll probably be able to output 4K signal (the PS4 already can), but developers on consoles are probably just gonna stick with 1080p. Not having to deal with another resolution bump will at least give developers more elbow room for eye candy and frame rate. You might see a handful of 2K or 4K games.

I've been wondering about that.

I don't have any Android device, but could Valve theoretically set up a Steam store for Android games? If so, couldn't it also apply SteamPlay to existing games that have Android versions?

Kinthalis

Banned
You're generalizing and making assumptions. I'm almost exclusively a console gamer and fully agree with you... As do loads of others I'm sure. It's not black and white as you proclaim.

But thanks for the kind words mate!

Generalizing about what? The hardware? The comments form console gamers last gen? Well sure, I guess I'm generalizing to some extent. I can't say every single console gamer stated that, but many did.

Heck, just look at the situaiton now with Xbone and PS4. Weridly enough the people claiming that 900p doesn't make a differnce are mostly xbone fans, and those that claim it's a big difference are PS4 fans. It's human nature to downplay a strength of something you don't own or see as competition.

Glad you agree with me though :)

Kinthalis

Banned
I have a feeling the next set of consoles is going to stick with 1080p. They'll probably be able to output 4K signal (the PS4 already can), but developers on consoles are probably just gonna stick with 1080p. Not having to deal with another resolution bump will at least give developers more elbow room for eye candy and frame rate. You might see a handful of 2K or 4K games.

I've been wondering about that.

I don't have any Android device, but could Valve theoretically set up a Steam store for Android games? If so, couldn't it also apply SteamPlay to existing games that have Android versions?

I think they'll support 4K, but most high end games won't be 4K, just like today most high end games are not 1080p/60 FPS on these consoles.

But who knows how long this generation will last or whatthe dealy will be then. Too ealry to have any educated opinions on the matter, IMHO.

Nzyme32

So Valve designs their own prototype for the Steam Machine, but will not release it.

Then all the third party vendors are waiting around for Valve to finish the OS/Controller so they can release their own boxes.

Now Valve may come out with their own box.

What kind of relationship is Valve fostering with their partners with all these delays and broken promises?

Basically everything is unknown and very little can be guessed at, particularly on the OEM side without anyone talking or explaining what agreements or knowledge was and is known.

• The prototype cases are still being released to the public (that we know of). The purpose of those machines was public testing and data gathering for feedback on the OS and controllers.
  • We have no information from the majority of third party vendors or understanding of their contractual agreements or business strategies or what contingencies they had in place. We don't know if the same OEMs are on board, or some exited, or some new ones joined in or to what scale they each make their machines.
  • There is no knowledge on whether Valve will release their own machine, just conjecture and Valve's previous stance of not wanting to. If they did, it would still be a Steam Machine, which is apparently seperate from "new living room devices" - which could also be by either various OEMs, Valve or both.
  • We have now idea on their "relationships". We don't know what they did or did not know or the state of those partners now.

As a console gamer with interests on the PC side I'm just hoping these Steam Machine run Windows(out the box) and not Linux or SteamOS.

If you keep it simple you'll get a lot of console gamers to consider PC as a good secondary option. The PC I have now does fine with the various indie games I get off Steam up to stuff like XCOM:EU.

Interfectum

As a console gamer with interests on the PC side I'm just hoping these Steam Machine run Windows(out the box) and not Linux or SteamOS.

Certified Steam Machines will come with SteamOS out of the box. I'm sure you can install windows as they are just PCs but for Valve to include Windows would defeat most of the reason they are doing SMs to begin with.

Kinthalis

Banned

If you keep it simple you'll get a lot of console gamers to consider PC as a good secondary option. The PC I have now does fine with the various indie games I get off Steam up to stuff like XCOM:EU.

You cna always install windows yourself, and I bet you good money a lot if not all of these vendors will offer a version with windows isntalled alongside Steam OS.

Nzyme32

You cna always install windows yourself, and I bet you good money a lot if not all of these vendors will offer a version with windows isntalled alongside Steam OS.

That solution just ends up like Windows 8 & Metro Apps - people would stick with Windows for the broadest compatibility, which doesn't actually help Valve demonstrate to others that SteamOS/Linux is/could be viable

Yep, keep it simple by putting Windows on what are supposed to be living-room boxes so people can struggle with how clunky Windows is with a controller and then just go back to their PS4s.

dsk1210

That solution just ends up like Windows 8 & Metro Apps - people would stick with Windows for the broadest compatibility, which doesn't actually help Valve demonstrate to others that SteamOS/Linux is/could be viable

I personally don't think that SteamOS will be very viable. Windows with Steam gives the best libary available on any system.

It would be nice if Microsoft just released their Windows 10 free for all consumers. They would have a digital shop to attract custom and make money that way, Steam can operate its full libary on it, ensuring that steam is sustained and lucrative digital markets open to anyone for Microsoft to take advantage off.

Nzyme32

I personally don't think that SteamOS will be very viable. Windows with Steam gives the best libary available on any system.

It would be nice if Microsoft just released their Windows 10 free for all consumers. They would have a digital shop to attract custom and make money that way, Steam can operate its full libary on it, ensuring that steam is sustained and lucrative digital markets open to anyone for Microsoft to take advantage off.

I think it could be viable as a supplementary device for indie minded folks or those who want to play the selection of PC only titles that are on the OS. That is likely the hook that they will use to very slowly trickle users in and slowly build content. If you expect AAA games all over the place, I think you'd be disappointed for many years

RedSwirl

I think it still helps a little because the supposed simplicity of the machines convinces a few people who were otherwise not PC gamers to step in.

Of course I'd feel much better about this if Microsoft let you navigate the Metro interface with an Xbox controller out of the box. Windows 8/10 would theoretically become an excellent HTPC OS if it did this.

That isn't the primary concern here. You want to play games like that? Good then go buy a Wii U Pro Controller, XBONE Controller or DS4. What if I want to play some PC games where mouse and KB is the only feasible controller option? Well it no longer has to be so. That's what the Steam Controller is for.

Also I expect it to be completely fine for most gamepad oriented games. It'll definitely be better for genres like FPS.
Yep, this is my big problem. People keep complaining "oh that controller won't be good for this kind of game." Ok? Use an Xbox controller, the Steam contoller is for games not made for controllers. I can't say for sure without having used any of the prototypes, but it seems like the Steam controller has been getting worse for kb&m games as they update it.

Yeah sounds like ass. Either they have kept a lot back for GDC, or it's going to be pretty shitty

When people complained about the lack of updates in the SteamOS sub-discussion, a dev said a lot of work is going on behind the scenes in the client , so maybe the former then. Obviously when it comes to features, it's not the OS that has them, but the client. We'll see. Less than a week go.

Nzyme32

When people complained about the lack of updates in the SteamOS sub-discussion, a dev said a lot of work is going on behind the scenes in the client , so maybe the former then. Obviously when it comes to features, it's not the OS that has them, but the client. We'll see. Less than a week go.

If that is the case, its a whole load of information to push out at a single event. They should have a way to push that info out to the public in a more digestable manner, but maybe that is something they would do later as it is a developer conference after all

Yes, even before this week's press release I thought it would be a lot of content. Steam Machines, the controller, glNext, VR rendering. But now we also have "new living room devices" and SteamVR. This is uncharacteristic from Valve to push out so many info at one event. Remember how they spaced out their Steam Universe announcements to one week. Here, they're going to have 2-3 days.

This is why I'm also not expecting Source 2 (maybe a couple of mentions here and there) and new game news.

It looks like the openGL Next API might be officially titled Vulkan

For: Computer software, namely application programming interfaces for the purpose of creating, rendering, and displaying 2D and 3D computer graphics; computer software, namely application programming interfaces for the purpose of accessing parallel computing resources; downloadable specifications for the aforementioned goods

Owner Name: The Khronos Group Inc.

SparkTR

I don't see SteamOS taking off at all. Honestly of all Valve's initiatives VR looked to be the most promising, but then they shared their tech with Oculus, which got bought out and then poached their top VR talent. Talk about getting fucked. Either they stop being passive and start changing the internal structure of the company or all this is going nowhere.

They need to stop being so exclusionary, when you deny dedicated staff to create circuit boards for your designers because they're 'outsiders' you have a problem. Taking on these initiatives means they can't be an exclusive little club anymore, somethings messed up with the structure there.

Nzyme32

I don't see SteamOS taking off at all. Honestly of all Valve's initiatives VR looked to be the most promising, but then they shared their tech with Oculus, which got bought out and then poached their top VR talent. Talk about getting fucked. Either they stop being passive and start changing the internal structure of the company or all this is going nowhere.

They need to stop being so exclusionary, when you deny dedicated staff to create circuit boards for your designers because they're 'outsiders' you have a problem. Taking on these initiatives means they can't be an exclusive little club anymore, somethings messed up with the structure there.

So where do you find all this info on the people working on all this stuff and their qualifications, let alone the projects they work on / companies they partner with / contractors / outsourcing used? We don't even know what info that Valve and Oculus shared, the scale of the partnership or even the state of it now. It's a whole lot of guessing.

Also, does SteamOS need to "take off", and when? To me it seems it will be something inherently wonky for a few years, but I suspect that is expected and won't make Valve stop

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
It the machine doesn't come with a copy of Windows, I don't want it. I'd rather have nearly 100% compatibility. (Obviously there will be some games that just won't run even on Windows for one reason or another. Nothing you can do about that other than getting the right hardware and drivers for that specific game, which might just break other ones.)

Seanspeed

Banned
It the machine doesn't come with a copy of Windows, I don't want it. I'd rather have nearly 100% compatibility. (Obviously there will be some games that just won't run even on Windows for one reason or another. Nothing you can do about that other than getting the right hardware and drivers for that specific game, which might just break other ones.)
Same. I mean, I'd be happy to install Windows myself if the cost of adding it still made it a decent value, but definitely - Windows would be a must. Hell, Linux support could cover 75% of games instead of the tiny percentage it does now and I'd still feel left out if I didn't have Windows.

Elixist

if the controller comes out and isnt that great i hope that they iterate on that shit within a couple years and not sit on the same design for 6 or 7 years like MS and Sony.

Windows 10 *is* free to win 8 & 7 owners.

I'm unreasonably hyped for this. I don't care much about Valve and Steam as a product or platform can be really disappointing and frustrating ("why doesn't it do xyz in the mobile app? It makes so much sense!"). I also don't like their philosophy to ship something half-baked and then fix it down the line, regardless how long it takes to "fix" it.

That said, these announcements have the potential to change a lot and make gaming, at least for me, really exciting again. Without having tried VR, I'm obviously a bit skeptical of the concept. But most impressions seem fantastic (once it works) and I'm interested in picking up a first gen products (be it Oculous or Valve). In that case I've been concerned about the lack of supporting standards for VR and I'm glad that Valve is working towards one that is supported on multiple platforms.

SteamOS in and itself has absolutely no value to me and I can't see it ever being interesting to me, but I love the potential and competition it could bring to the table. Not necessarily against home consoles, but to make living room PCs a thing (still doubtful) and mostly to light some fire under Microsoft's ass. It was cute to see them play nice with Steam during the W10 event, but I don't believe a thing they say about PC gaming until a month after they ship their second significant product. Heck, even the Fable Legends announcement is super weak in retrospect, now that it's F2P.

I certainly don't see Valve as the savior of PC gaming (anymore), but they seems to work on interesting stuff. I only hope this time they execute their plans right from the get go and not in typical Valve fashion. Because then it could be really huge.

Human_me

if the controller comes out and isnt that great i hope that they iterate on that shit within a couple years and not sit on the same design for 6 or 7 years like MS and Sony.

I can see them making minor changes every 2 years or so.

But nothing major.
Unless it turns out to be a huge flop.
Which then they may give up entirely.

Haunted

"final" Steam controller

c5f.gif

Nothing's final with Valve these days, they'll probably keep reiterating.

Baleoce

Out of all their announcements, If I'm being honest I'm only fussed about the controller. I really hope it ends up being something innovative, and not compromised.

WillyFive

Out of all their announcements, If I'm being honest I'm only fussed about the controller. I really hope it ends up being something innovative, and not compromised.

Yeah. But I am keeping my expectations in the dirt and expecting them to come out with a 360 controller.

According to GDC's exhibitors page they're

Biba is about getting kids active through the power of mobile technology. By marrying a colorful interface intended to foster a kid’s imagination with our unique ‘embodied play’ game philosophy, Biba keeps kids active, parents engaged and mobile devices completely safe. This is not your average sedentary video game experience.

npa189

So are we actually expecting a final controller? Unless we get a release date/pre order page today I really won't believe it.

Nzyme32

So are we actually expecting a final controller? Unless we get a release date/pre order page today I really won't believe it.

Valve's Press Release last week:

February 23, 2015 - Valve will show a family of new Steam devices at next week's Game Developers Conference (GDC) in San Francisco, CA. Products being demonstrated at GDC include Steam Machines with the final Steam Controller, new living room devices, and a previously-unannounced SteamVR hardware system (ie HTC Vive).

If people are interested in what the new controller is like, the latest Steam beta added support for it, and there's plenty of evidence in the Steam installation (both keybindings and ui elements) for exactly what it's like.

Touchpads and shoulder buttons are largely unchanged. There's now a thumbstick on the lower left, and a button daimond on the lower right.

Top Bottom