• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2022 World Cup to begin in November

Status
Not open for further replies.
So a couple weeks ago, Fox and Univision got the US media rights to the 2026 World Cup.

Without other bidders.

The theory going is that Fox and Telemundo were given the 2026 rights on the cheap because they are pissed that they spend a couple billion on the 2018 and 2022 rights, and half of that is would be destroyed by American football in the fall/winter.

So, in order to appease them, FIFA gave them the rights at a discount without interference from NBC, Univision, or Disney (ABC and ESPN).

So yeah, FIFA now have a couple billion reasons to keep this train going into the winter.

Or Spain-Portugal too. Or Italy.

I cant talk about Spain-Portugal, but Italy would not have the infrastructure in place to support a successful world cup so quickly. Security and racism would be a big issue for any world cup in Italy. There was 2.6 million euro damage done in Rome just last week by Feyenoord fans lol

BTW, I think it should be that the World Cup is in Europe every other tournament. Fuck trying to send it to new places in the world. The simple fact is that without Europe there would not be a FIFA. There would not be all the money pouring in from European television deals that then go to all the federations around the world.

kharma45

😣
you forgot probably the most capable.

Germany

I did, but then they also held one fairly recently too, which is why I ignored France.

I cant talk about Spain-Portugal, but Italy would not have the infrastructure in place to support a successful world cup so quickly. Security and racism would be a big issue for any world cup in Italy. There was 2.6 million euro damage done in Rome just last week by Feyenoord fans lol

Infrastructure is a fair point, I was looking at it from a stadia POV.

England and the US could host it tomorrow.

US gets hot in the summer too, US heatwave could be worst than what we saw in Brazil, they took breaks for 88degrees, US heatwaves can be 90-105degrees depending on location, while US has the facilities to host right now, if we are going through a heat wave it could be bad as Qatar...

Spuck-uk

Banned
US gets hot in the summer too, US heatwave could be worst than what we saw in Brazil, they took breaks for 88degrees, US heatwaves can be 90-105degrees depending on location, while US has the facilities to host right now, if we are going through a heat wave it could be bad as Qatar...

I mean, you do know the US hosted it already, right? And players were fine.

Ban Puncher

OlWzcHF.gif

So a couple weeks ago, Fox and Univision got the US media rights to the 2026 World Cup.

Without other bidders.

The theory going is that Fox and Telemundo were given the 2026 rights on the cheap because they are pissed that they spend a couple billion on the 2018 and 2022 rights, and half of that is would be destroyed by American football in the fall/winter.

So, in order to appease them, FIFA gave them the rights at a discount without interference from NBC, Univision, or Disney (ABC and ESPN).

So yeah, FIFA now have a couple billion reasons to keep this train going into the winter.

lilmessi1qrex.png

That is true.

The final in 94 was too hot. Killed the potential for a truly great game

Lego Boss

If it's for the date, in south America football players have to play their tournaments all through the summer because of FIFA dates, so it would be a nice change in fact.

If it is because of the place, I think football is universal and it's MUCH more interesting a Qatar World Cup, than a repeat of a world cup in England.

If it is because of the billion dollar leagues, well, whatever, just switch the dates and be done with it.

The only real concern is slavery, and I really don't know if FIFA is the institution who should be fighting against it. It's a sport.

But all in all, I think this world cup will be beneficial to Qatari people, because this common practices that has everyone outraged came to public attention BECAUSE of the world cup, so the Qatari government IS making beneficial changes for their own people and a huge exchange of cultures will be made.

I really don't see why the outrage; IMO the world cup should be played in everywhere, it's part of the fun.

Not sure if serious.

All models for the world cup suggest that this will effect at least three seasons of European football.

Yeah, and in those scenarios it's high unlikely European teams will stand a chance at the world cup, as the players will be dog tired by then as they'll have been playing for a year and a half straight with no breaks to fit in all the games and allow for the gap.

Sayad

Without other bidders.

I think World Cup right are offered to the current rights holder first, they're not open for bidding unless the current rights holder refuse their offer. Not sure if this apply to the US though.

Yeah, and in those scenarios it's high unlikely European teams will stand a chance at the world cup, as the players will be dog tired by then as they'll have been playing for a year and a half straight with no breaks to fit in all the games and allow for the gap.

it's not like a lot of non european players play in europe.
the entire squad of brazil is in europe, argentina has like 1 player in mexico (backup GK), etc..

Tapiozona

Banned

The US has at least 9 or 10 enclosed NFL size stadiums should weather be a factor. Then you could host in cities like San Diego, the Bay Area, and anywhere in the Pacific NW which have very mild summers.

We could host it within a months notice and not blink an eye.

Bumhead

Banned
Football has been selling itself off for the past 20 years. Debacles like this are just an end game.

The game is dead from the waist up and I can't wait for the bubble to burst.

The Premier League are the only real hope we have of stopping this. Maybe by that point they'll have doubled their own delusional self worth to £10bn worth of TV deals and have become important enough to vetoe this.

If it runs from November to late December then players will need to be away with their respective squads from early October.

This means that for most leagues in Europe you will either have to have a 2-3 month break before the real winter kicks in, which means the season will end up running to July or August the following year assuming no bad weather prevents games in January/February.

The other situation is to let other clubs play while the big teams players are away, but then you will up in a stupid situation where someone like Aberdeen is top of the league in Scotland and Celtic have 16 games in hand that they have to play catch up with.

It's horrific on a logisitical level for every league in Europe.

This, after all the human rights violations we see in the super rich countries that build huge under populated cities out of the barren desert. Truly grim.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Thread title is wrong isn't it?

We won't find out until mid March if it is changing.
It's the title of the BBC article. Their sources say FIFA are expected to ratify the recommendation of the report (why wouldn't they? It's their report)

Clegg

Platini is ruining domestic competition in Europe for a few seasons Pte and post World Cup. You'd think that as the head of UEFA he'd be against any such plans. Also, guess whose son works for the Qatari billionaires who helped fund this World Cup bid?

Bumhead

Banned
The other situation is to let other clubs play while the big teams players are away, but then you will up in a stupid situation where someone like Aberdeen is top of the league in Scotland and Celtic have 16 games in hand that they have to play catch up with.

If there's no satisfactory alternative arrangements for existing tournaments (which lets face it, there wont be), it'll be interesting how the cards fall in terms of player power and the relationship between clubs and the national sides.

National team selection is 100% optional. If a player is called up, he can drop out. Will the lure of a World Cup be enough to drag the top talent away from domestic and Champions League action? Will there be financial incentives (or even threats?) for players dropping out? There's not a chance in hell the European clubs, and not even just the "elite" ones, are going to see half their squads disapear for 3 months during the season. Absolutely no chance. Even bottom half teams in most of the European leagues are littered with internationally capped players now.

England should send a team of non-league players. Make it a raffle for 23 registered Sunday league players for a holiday and a kick about for 2 weeks.

Massa

This World Cup is a sham for many reasons but this is not one of them. Domestic leagues are not the center of the world and they can adjust their calendar for that year accordingly.

This World Cup is a sham for many reasons but this is not one of them. Domestic leagues are not the center of the world and they can adjust their calendar for that year accordingly.

Domestic leagues makes it possible for most of the players to represent their countries.

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
Thread title is wrong isn't it?

We won't find out until mid March if it is changing.

The guy leading the taskforce recommending it be changed to winter it is also in the group that will make the final decision. I think it is pretty much done now.

Domestic Leagues are the heart of professional football. The World Cup is built on top of those leagues.

Elchele

Domestic leagues are way more important than International football. WC is basically a tourney to bring new fans to the game

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
All 300,000 Qataris will be delighted that they get treated even better than they do whilst having slaves work and die for them. YAY????

some places aren't big enough to host these events. Australia is about minimum size and wealth. The Olympics were too much for Greece, this is too much for Qatar, way too much.

and what huge exchange of culture do you expect? One of the most conservative Islamic places on the planet will suddenly become a beacon of tolerance. really????
They still had slaves dying before, the only reason YOU care is because of the world cup.

And yes, the cultural exchange in a conservative islamic place will absolutely change it, it will not be the bacon of tolerance, but it will make fundamental changes, that are already happening.

And no, Australia is not the minimum size for a World Cup; that is a country 60 times (you read that right) bigger than England, 20 times bigger than Germany. If it was for that, the only countries allowed to have world cups would be Russia, USA, China, India and Brazil (I may be missing a few others, but you get the point).

If it was for country size, none of the European countries could ever host a World Cup, and if it is for wealth, yes Qatar does have that.

In the end, the arguments against a Qatari world cup make absolutely no sense at all; the world cup should be played everywhere. Even Chile and Uruguay (countries much bigger than european countries, but really, really poor at the time of making) had world cups.

I would love world cups in Bolivia, China, Iran, Cuba (OMG! he is a communist!), Colombia, Ukraine, Camerun, etc. Every country should have a world cup at some point.

Tapiozona

Banned
They still had slaves dying before, the only reason YOU care is because of the world cup.

And yes, the cultural exchange in a conservative islamic place will absolutely change it, it will not be the bacon of tolerance, but it will make fundamental changes, that are already happening.

And no, Australia is not the minimum size for a World Cup; that is a country 60 times (you read that right) bigger than England, 20 times bigger than Germany. If it was for that, the only countries allowed to have world cups would be Russia, USA, China, India and Brazil (I may be missing a few others, but you get the point).

If it was for country size, none of the European countries could ever host a World Cup, and if it is for wealth, yes Qatar does have that.

In the end, the arguments against a Qatari world cup make absolutely no sense at all; the world cup should be played everywhere. Even Chile and Uruguay (countries much bigger than european countries, but really, really poor at the time of making) had world cups.

I would love world cups in Bolivia, China, Iran, Cuba (OMG! he is a communist!), Colombia, Ukraine, Camerun, etc. Every country should have a world cup at some point.

I'm pretty sure he meant population size.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom