• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 3D platformer renaissance is happening

Like other people said, I think we should wait to see how many of these are good (or even get made) before we call it a renaissance. Some of those games remind me of Chameleon Twist and Bubsy 3D.

Lijik

Hope Olivia and Spike works out. The dimension shifting looked really cool. Didnt know Shiftlings was the same team either! Makes me more interested in that game

How many are actually decent games though?

Cloudbuilt was terrible from my experience.

A lot of what's listed in the OP look like mobile quality games.

Play Grow Home

Thats what I wanna know. I'll buy one but I dunno which one is actually good.

Play Grow Home

I'm probably the only person excited for Spooky Poo.

Play Grow Ho-i mean naw im really excited too. Even if the game doesnt wind up as ambitious as the dev is planning I think itll turn out as a fun powerup focused platformer. The prototype had some clever stuff

You were playing the wrong games. You should have been playing linear 3D platformers where the focus was on the platforming like the Crash games or Rayman 2. I cant stand open collectathon platformers. But give me linear focused 3D platformers all day long.

I realized that when I revisited them.

SerTapTap

Like other people said, I think we should wait to see how many of these are good (or even get made) before we call it a renaissance. Some of those games remind me of Chameleon Twist and Bubsy 3D.

Half of the games in the OP are already out...?
edit: okay a third, but still

One of those games MIGHT have a chance of being good.
Cloudbuilt and Grow Home are already good :p
FreezeME is my favorite of the upcoming games. The alpha was a lot of fun, and the freezing mechanic always for interesting challenges that wouldn't be possible in other games

jimboton

So, how likely would you guys say it is that Microsoft announces a new Banjo adventure this year? Wasn't there a rumor about this? Or would you rather like to know what I'm smoking?

Hat peeked my interest back when it was announced, I really like the looks of the main character and the mustachioed female villain. The website says it might be coming to Wii U, but they're not making promises. Day 1 if it comes to Wii U.

Lijik

........can we wait for some of these to release first before we jinx it?

Half of the games in the OP are already released, and it doesnt even have relatively older indie games like Tiny and Big or the handful of first person 3d platformers on Steam
Play Grow Home

Half of the games in the OP are already released, and it doesnt even have relatively older indie games like Tiny and Big or the handful of first person 3d platformers on Steam
Play Grow Home
Think I should add stuff like Tiny & Big and first person games? I was going for the more recent games

And if we add all the FPS platformers, that list would be pretty long. Deadcore, Cloudbase Prime, Lemma, and more.

phanphare

Banned
Play Grow Home

yeah that's true. I guess none of those look all that good to me. the one's I'm interested in aren't out yet. Sea of Solitude looks nice, Rime looks cool, Hat in Time looks cool. I hope they turn out well!

Tuck

Think I should add stuff like Tiny & Big and first person games? I was going for the more recent games

And if we add all the FPS platformers, that list would be pretty long. Deadcore, Cloudbase Prime, Lemma, and more.
Do it! This thread is quickly becoming a great way to discover indie games.

Coconut

Banned
Foward to the Sky and Drew & the Floating Labryinth slipped under my radar, Im gonna check those out. Was probably too focused on Grow Home which is fucking stellar.

The Pac Man redesign is hella gross, but if you want to jump across stuff for a couple of hours the recent pac man games are pretty good! The steam version of the first one has been going on sale a lot lately so its easy to cop it on the cheap

I wouldn't waste my money on Forward to the Sky it's really really rough. There's a reason why there's no buzz behind it.

Added to OP

Released

Deadcore - $9.99
DeadCore_04_1413474060.jpg

NaissanceE - $14.99

Tiny & Big - $9.99

A Story About My Uncle - $12.99

Zineth - Free

Chrono Disfunglement - Free

In development

Hover: Revolt of Gamers

Cloudbase Prime

Lemma

Lucky's Tale

Lobodestroyo

Bought Grow Home just now because of this thread, can't imagine i'll be disappointed since 3D platformers ARE my favorite genre :)

Spooky Poo looks the most original out of those in the OT imo but it also looks like it needs a lot more polish hmmm...

Lijik

I wouldn't waste my money on Forward to the Sky it's really really rough. There's a reason why there's no buzz behind it.

Is it possible to turn off the constant voiceover? That was the most offputting thing to me watching some gameplay on youtube. The rest of it looked alright enough. Not a must play but maybe on a rainy day or something.

Bought Grow Home just now because of this thread, can't imagine i'll be disappointed since 3D platformers ARE my favorite genre :)

Spooky Poo looks the most original out of those in the OT imo but it also looks like it needs a lot more polish hmmm...
I recommend checking out Zineth. It's in the top tier of freeware games IMO, and probably the closest thing to an indie Jet Set Radio till Hover comes out

Spooky Poo could be cool, I'm certainly more in love with its art-style than others (a cute mix of Rareware and Bubsy 3D, checkerboard floors not signaling a lack of textures but a funhouse-style worldview). Forward to the Sky, Lonely Planet, and Cloudbuilt have my attention, whereas FreezeMe seems to be resting on a puzzle mechanic which isn't as interesting.

deleted

Cloudbuilt is a a fairly good pure platformer that doesn't rely on frivolous collectibles to extend playtime; the levels are designed with one goal only and that is to reach the exit gate. There are multiple modes of play that place handicaps on how you tackle the stages and every level is accompanied with an online leaderboard.

This is what a standard playthrough will look like.

Uhh, reminds me of the traversal Quake 3 mod with the name that escapes me atm. Not really what I imagine as a 3D platformer though.

wouwie

It was only months ago that i wrote i was sad to see Oliver & Spike ending up at Amazon. Not that i don't want to see this game released. On the contrary, i hoped to see it released on many platforms instead of being tied to Amazon only. And now it seems it isn't published by Amazon anymore and back to finding a publisher? That game sure does have a troubled development history. Which is a shame since the game looked promising from the first footage.

gafneo

Banned
These are nice attempts and all, but the Mascot has to be appealing. That rabbit game is overly simplistic. It's like you play as the easter bunny. Even for an Indy stand point that's too basic.

aliensandwich

Neo Member
I would love to see another platformer with the same degree of beauty as the original Spyro. Those winding castles and beautiful skies get me every time.
Alpine_Ridge.png

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
Just purchased Deadcore and played some during lunch. Fun game, though I wish the jumps felt better.

I'll probably want to pick up "A Story about my Uncle" as it looks similar to the corkscrew mod for Quake 3, which I loved.

I hate to be that guy, but a lot of those games look like trash.

No surprise, about 90% of your posts are negative anyways.

Back on topic, I bought Cloudbuilt a long time ago on sale but I've heard mixed things about it. The rest look decent but I kinda want to see more platformers in the style of Crash 1 or Mario 3D World. Collectathons don't do it for me anymore.

Lijik

No surprise, about 90% of your posts are negative anyways.

Back on topic, I bought Cloudbuilt a long time ago on sale but I've heard mixed things about it. The rest look decent but I kinda want to see more platformers in the style of Crash 1 or Mario 3D World. Collectathons don't do it for me anymore.

Its really rough (the last time I played it every secret level warp went to the same secret level for instance) but Rova's Adventure is straight up Crash Bandicoot

Platy

the latest update on the Oliver and Spike website seem to be from 13 Feb 2013

e: the facebook page is still active and the game is now called Olivia &Spike
905975_870296759660332_6722109385750219187_o.png

looks great

But the game page and Facebook still says Oliver and Spike.

Features a genderqueer protagonist confirmed

Very cool thread, subbed! Man, I feel like the 90s are coming back in a way, we're getting a space sim revival, VR is on the horizon and 3D platformers are coming back.

uj8reOr.gif

Top Bottom