• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF Face-Off: Resident Evil Revelations 2 - Xbox One trumps PS4

Hanmik

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...er&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialoomph

yes that is the headline from the article.

To start, we were at least happy to see a full 1920x1080 presentation on both new consoles, albeit with a rather basic FXAA implementation handling anti-aliasing duties. Capcom's FXAA implementation produces relatively clean edges but also suffers from mild texture blurring on distant surfaces. Both versions also make use of what appears to be full 16x anisotropic filtering with sharp, clean textures visible at any angle. With so many flat surfaces throughout the game, this feature is a must and we're glad to see that Capcom has implemented it.

Things are a tad disappointing on the PC side, with max settings providing a broadly equivalent experience to the Xbox One and PS4 titles. As with other MT Framework 2.0 games, anti-aliasing is limited to FXAA3 HQ as its maximum setting. Coverage is less aggressive here than standard console FXAA -which is also an option - but it does produce a noticeably sharper image. The only other notable differences comes down to shadow rendering, which offers a slightly higher level of quality than the console equivalents.

Indoors, the first thing that becomes apparent is the lack of environmental detail. The prison is made up of a series of hallways and rooms, all of which are boxy and simplistic in design. Textures are muddy and often of a low resolution while the precious few objects dotted around the environment never really sit well within the scene. When combined with some unattractive specular highlights, many of the games surfaces are left looking muddy and indistinct. Worse still, the PlayStation 4 version of the game appears to use lower resolution specular maps compared to the PC and Xbox One releases.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lxdwi2kgSqg
PS4 vs Xbox OneFramerate video.

Revelations 2 isn't a bad experience but its lower budget is definitely reflected in its visuals. Of course, it's not fair to expect results matching its more expensive siblings, but we can't shake the feeling that Capcom could have taken things a bit further. Improved effects work, object motion blur, and more interesting light placement could have gone a long way towards enhancing the game's presentation. There's a wealth of MT Framework titles out there boasting a wealth of additional visuals effects and we have trouble understanding why more of the available features aren't utilised in this game - these are off-the-shelf effects included in a mature engine, and wouldn't have required additional asset generation.

We'd feel a lot more satisfied had the reduced feature set produced perfectly stable performance on the modern consoles, but the drops definitely scrape away a layer of polish - particularly on PlayStation 4. While both console versions are quite playable, the massive hitches in performance experienced in certain sections on the Sony platform left us preferring the Xbox One version. Of course, if you have even a moderately powerful gaming PC, we'd recommend that above all, as long as split-screen gaming is not important to you. The weird, subtle inconsistencies also left us curious about the game's development, as certain features appear to have been implemented somewhat differently across all three versions of the game. Perhaps the team responsible for the PS4 version struggled more with optimisation?

6alLF0I.jpg

I wonder where the drops are they speak of, the only ones I noticed were random going through some doors but nothing during gameplay itself.

God, that video... PS4 version goes as low as 27 fps while Xbox One version is on the high 50's. Great optimization there.

I wonder where the drops are they speak of, the only ones I noticed were random going through some doors but nothing during gameplay itself.
From what I see in that video the drops are everywhere. lol

iceatcs

PS4 look close to PC screenshot, amazing it can do 16x anisotropic filtering, but performance is poor.

Xbox one looks bit dark or lower light setting but clearer shadow. But made up for performance.

Krakn3Dfx

That byline tho.

Also, not a lot of gameplay and overall game impressions padding this article. Guess that's only important when the XB1 version comes up short.

God, that video... PS4 version goes as low as 27 fps while Xbox One version is on the high 50's. Great optimization there.

From what I see in that video the drops are everywhere. lol

I was thinking of buying this game since it's cheap but if really the Xbox One version is that better, i'll have to go with that.

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
But the *insert here* has the great *Insert here* so it's hard to recommend one over the other ;)

Joke joke. Kind of short summary in the OP, so I will now proceed to read the actual comparison.

Percy

Banned
Guess the game must be heavily reliant on CPU... so easy win for Xbone.

Also, not a lot of gameplay and overall game impressions padding this article. Guess that's only important when the XB1 version comes up short.

Good point. I'd have thought gameplay commentary would be a lot more prominent in an article on a game where the framerate drops to less than half what it should be at times if that's a thing DF are apparently doing now, but it seems they decided it wasn't worth too much attention this time. Odd.

Journey

Banned
Both versions also make use of what appears to be full 16x anisotropic filtering with sharp, clean textures visible at any angle.

Hmm, would help the AF situation if the game ran well, if anything this leads me to believe that they should've turned it off.

Performance: I’m not dismissing raw performance. I’m stating – as I have stated from the beginning – that the performance delta between the two platforms is not as great as the raw numbers lead the average consumer to believe. There are things about our system architecture not fully understood, and there are things about theirs as well, that bring the two systems into balance.

People DO understand that Microsoft has some of the smartest graphics programmers IN THE WORLD. We CREATED DirectX, the standard API’s that everyone programs against. So while people laude Sony for their HW skills, do you really think we don’t know how to build a system optimized for maximizing graphics for programmers? Seriously? There is no way we’re giving up a 30%+ advantage to Sony. And ANYONE who has seen both systems running could say there are great looking games on both systems. If there was really huge performance difference – it would be obvious.

I get a ton of hate for saying this – but it’s been the same EVERY generation. Sony claims more power, they did it with Cell, they did it with Emotion Engine, and they are doing it again. And, in the end, games on our system looked the same or better.

I’m not saying they haven’t built a good system – I’m merely saying that anyone who wants to die on their sword over this 30%+ power advantage are going to be fighting an uphill battle over the next 10 years…

Albert Penello vindicated

Begaria

Heh, I had a feeling this was the case when I saw it being reviewed more on the Xbox One. It's bound to happen that there would be a few better versions on the Xbox One. RE Rev 2 isn't the first nor will it be the last.

BriGuy

I don't want to be "that guy," but have they ever had mentioned what version trumps the other in a subtitle before? It seems oddly exuberant and out of place.

Vashetti

Banned
Won't buy until the PS4 version is optimised with patches. Hopefully this is sorted by the time the physical version is out.

If it doesn't get fixed, I won't buy.

No excuse for this performance gap.

hesido

There's little way to sugar coat PS4's bad performance here, but I think "lowest frame-rate" metric is not enough to represent the performance, as well as a percentile chart would do (How long does it stay under how many frames per seconds)

Seanspeed

Banned
There's little way to sugar coat PS4's bad performance here, but I think "lowest frame-rate" metric is not enough to represent the performance, as well as a percentile chart would do (How long does it stay under how many frames per seconds)
Dropped Frames (from 17,000 total)
PS4 3,112 (18.3%)
XB1 566 (3.3%)

You can watch the video as well....

Corpekata

Banned
preordered on PC

Has anyone played an MT Framework game on PC? I want to play at 5760x1080

MT framework generally works great on PC. This game is not a good PC port though. Really weird performance early in the game for me. Once I got past the tutorial it was great, but a few early rooms are all over the place.

Top Bottom