• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supermassive black hole 12 billion times larger than the sun detected

Status
Not open for further replies.

terrisus

One model allows for a spinning black hole to "flatten" itself out into a doughnut shape with a center that something might be able to pass through. Again, no real idea what the implications of that actually are

Better hope it's not jelly-filled.

Those don't have holes in the center.
They're also gross >.>

Log4Girlz

The Schwarzschild's radius of a 12 billion solar mass sun would be about 36 billion kilometers.
This is about 8 times the distance from the sun to Neptune at its furthest.
About 5 times the distance from the sun to Pluto at its furthest.

Jeez. The Schwarzschild's radius of the sun is like 3,000 kilometers.

jambo

The Nature article being quoted says solar mass. NBC just sucks at science.

gfRpcyZ.gif

KarmaCow

Is a black hole really a hole? I always thought it's just a really huge massive sphere like a plant or star but infinitely bigger and more massive. Can someone explains this to me? I don't understand the discussion about traveling through or being in a black hole.

You're half way there, there are massive (not infinite) but they are infinitely smaller, a single 1D point. If that doesn't make sense, good because it shouldn't. It's a filler concept because we dont know how something like it could exist since we know of nothing to stop the collapse of all the mass to a single point. Add in that they are so massive and dense that even light cannot escape them at a certain range makes them impossible to observe directly and even more enigmatic.

But effectively you can treat them like any other object. Mostly, what makes them weird is the insane gravitational force they exert. Despite what a lot of people think, a black hole doesn't suck up everything at an infinite range. The gravitational strength is still proportion to the mass and distance from it. Just that when you're dealing mass in terms of millions of solar mass, the force gravity becomes incomprehensible at close ranged.

I don't think the human mind could even comprehend something that large. It'd be like staring into the sky on a clear night, you wouldn't even be able to process the enormity of it.
We should count ourselves lucky if we can comprehend the fact that we're a giant living rock swirling around a mind-bogglingly huge yet stable explosion of life-sustaining energies.

Comprehending that alone is one hell of a trick. Seriously. The fact that its usually the farthest thing from our minds is pretty damn amazing when you stop to think about it.

You don't need a fear of an omnipresent God to keep you humble if you can just remember those basic facts of our world every day.

rexor0717

So... Were talking about something as big as the super tengen toppa giga drill breaker here... Right?

177994_o.gif

tumblr_mqkaww5ZC01s5f9ado2_500.gif

If TTGL is galaxies big, then STTGL would dwarf that blackhole by quite a bit.
disapprove.gif

Anyways, space is amazing. The reality that we exist in yet aren't always aware of is awesome.

Maybe they should double-check to make sure it wasn't just one of their sneezes that had congealed on the radar screen.

12 billion times larger? Incomprehensibly huge!

Remember that you're dealing in 3D size, so to get a single dimension you get the cube root. Cube root of 12BN is roughly 2300, so 2300 times the width/height/depth of the sun.

Yeah..... this is the first I'm hearing of it. I think you should make a thread and show us some neat shit!

It';s the early access sequel to the old simulation, fun for fucking around with shit like this

Here's the earth next to our sun

universesandbox-201507eurc.png

now pulled back to show the sun in full

universesandbox-20150osuz3.png

Now the sun compared to the black hole in question at the edge of the event horizon (I had to turn on the trails in the ui so it could be distinguished from the lensing effect.)

universesandbox-20150rgu9g.png

and finally in comparison to the black hole with the singularity in frame

universesandbox-20150bfuvf.png

It's a great little time suck

Yagharek

tierra_y_sol1.jpg
multiplied by 1.2 x 10^10 means that's a really big black hole.

In terms of mass its huge. In terms of volume occupied out to the event horizon, its probably not that big.

edit: for reference I believe the black hole at the heart of our galaxy has an event horizon at a radius of about 17 light hours.

zoozilla

I forget, if we ever got sucked up in a black hole would we feel pain at all? Like our bodies being crushed or something? Or just straight up die and that's it...always imagined maybe black holes lead somewhere else...

If I live to be like 90 or something and I'm close to death, I'd like to go by being shot into a black hole. Just give me a space helmet and kick my death bed out of the side of a spaceship.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
It is absolutely terrifying and astounding something like that exists. I can't comprehend it. Like I can't comprehend existence before the big bang.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
so, doughnut hole of the universe?

chain reaction that will consume us all, eventually?

maybe but probably not? So if the article is accurate and this is larger then previously accounted for, it does raise questions about the current "control" on black holes, which is that as they increase in size they begin to shed radiation, causing them to shrink again. That model says that there's a maximum cap on how large a black hole is, although the final state of the universe might certainly look like a collection of black holes

terrisus

If I live to be like 90 or something and I'm close to death, I'd like to go by being shot into a black hole. Just give me a space helmet and kick my death bed out of the side of a spaceship.

You might not enjoy the whole "Time slowing down" thing though...

jerry1594

It';s the early access sequel to the old simulation, fun for fucking around with shit like this

Here's the earth next to our sun

universesandbox-201507eurc.png

now pulled back to show the sun in full

universesandbox-20150osuz3.png

Now the sun compared to the black hole in question at the edge of the event horizon (I had to turn on the trails in the ui so it could be distinguished from the lensing effect.)

univer sesandbox-20150rgu9g.png

and finally in comparison to the black hole with the singularity in frame

universesandbox-20150bfuvf.png

It's a great little time suck

How big is it compared to Canis Majoris?

Opiate

Is a black hole really a hole? I always thought it's just a really huge massive sphere like a plant or star but infinitely bigger and more massive. Can someone explains this to me? I don't understand the discussion about traveling through or being in a black hole.

The easiest way to conceptualize it as a "hole" is to imagine how space is warped by the immense gravity. Once you are beyond the event horizon (if you were able to survive somehow), turning around and looking "out" of the black hole would still look towards the black hole, because there is no direction for even light to escape. Space has been warped so completely that every single direction points towards the black hole: up, down, left, right, backwards, forwards. These directions no longer have meaning as we think of them. Every direction is towards the black hole.

Last time I promise, sorted by diameter

the black circle in the first shot is Jupiter

universesandbox-20150d6uwt.png

universesandbox-20150zvu7k.png

universesandbox-201507mu1p.png

universesandbox-201503cumt.png

universesandbox-20150aluuf.png

I would have just made *.gifs of all these but Shadowplay is being stupid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom