• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jon Stewart gives no f**ks anymore, goes all in on Fox, institutional conservatism

Status
Not open for further replies.

akira28

"liberal" satire shows are built and written on the fundamental belief that they're correct. That's why they're so sarcastic and pointed.

difference is liberals actually agonize over being right, and self-check because they don't think they're already designated right (by the fact that God hasn't struck them with lightning). They weren't born right, they arrived at their positions by logic and rationale, and the moment either of those are challenged with new facts they readjust to make sure they're still doing the right thing.

Conservatives will change the world before they will change their beliefs about the world, because their beliefs are the basis that supports the facts, not become challenged by them.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Don't know about all the time, but I know the Daily Show manipulated the hell out of a Denver Story a while ago that Jason Jones did. Certainly made me look at their segments a little more skeptically.

But in the end it's a comedy show, they can make shit up all they like.

A few months ago they did a segment about another State but had the Sheriff from my county in Ohio being interviewed. That made me a bit more skeptical of their investigative reporting. In the end though they are a comedy show and what they are trying to do is raise awareness on screwed up things with local, state, and federal goings on. The piece on the other State wasn't any less informative with sound bites coming from my Sheriff so it all comes out in the wash.

I watched last night and Fox doesn't have a leg to stand on here. Jon planted a flag a top bullshit mountain once again. His show can't fake, or make up the actual clips obtained from Fox News broadcasts.

I don't understand why the Tea Party/Fox News isn't considered a non-violent terrorist organization in the US.

Blatantly lying and making up facts. Using a television station to push a made up agenda.

The best moment on Fox News ever, was Rove sitting there not giving up that Romney had clearly lost. Trying to calculate a way to skew the numbers on live television, while being dissed by people who backed him for so long.

Sounds like nearly every journalist outlet.

Tripon

Don't know about all the time, but I know the Daily Show manipulated the hell out of a Denver Story a while ago that Jason Jones did. Certainly made me look at their segments a little more skeptically.

But in the end it's a comedy show, they can make shit up all they like.
The Daily Show can only manipulate what people actually say. Its like the Redskin fan story a while back.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
The Daily Show can only manipulate what people actually say. Its like the Redskin fan story a while back.

No, this was an outright manipulation. It was about the Colorado Recall Election. Few state level legislators were recalled over voted about gun laws. Daily Show went to Colorado Springs to interview the guy who was recalled, the goes "on the street" to interview the people and find out why they voted this guy out, and made a big deal over how many people said they didn't vote.

What they didn't tell you was that to get the amusing "we didn't vote" answers, they went and did the Interviews in Denver. 70 miles from the district this guy was recalled from and were obviously ineligible to vote in that district recall. If I didn't live in the Denver area, and was able to identify where they were doing these interviews, I never would have noticed.

The closest you're going to get is a libertarian comedian. The social side is the big issue.

Damn straight I would watch the Ron Swanson Show on Fox News. That would be even better than The Colbert Report. Best part, many people that watch Fox News would probably take it seriously.

Or something like South Park. They shit on Liberals and Conservatives in equal measure. I'm sure a satirist at the level of Stone and Parker would be popular in conservative news if they chose their targets carefully.

Tawpgun

#rekt

I think I used to watch more Fox news on The Daily Show/Colbert/Last Week than on Fox News itself.

I thought, reasonably, that they just cherry picked the bad fox news segments and that Fox news is no worse than nbc's republican counterpart.

Until my dad got super into them and conservative ideology. It's on when I go home and he listens to hannity and shit in the car and woooooooow it's unbelievable how fuckin dense they are. It's one thing to be fiscally conservative, hell even reasonable social conservatism. But these guys just went off the deep end.

No, this was an outright manipulation. It was about the Colorado Recall Election. Few state level legislators were recalled over voted about gun laws. Daily Show went to Colorado Springs to interview the guy who was recalled, the goes "on the street" to interview the people and find out why they voted this guy out, and made a big deal over how many people said they didn't vote.

What they didn't tell you was that to get the amusing "we didn't vote" answers, they went and did the Interviews in Denver. 70 miles from the district this guy was recalled from and were obviously ineligible to vote in that district recall. If I didn't live in the Denver area, and was able to identify where they were doing these interviews, I never would have noticed.

UEToij2.jpg

Well TDS is not a news show. They are not obligated to present facts, as messed up as this sounds. They cannot be held liable.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I'm not at all inclined to believe this. We see often how staunch liberals can be. The major difference is they have the zeitgeist and contemporary scientific reasoning backing them more often than not. This difference, however, doesn't lampshade the fact that liberals can root for their side just as hard and irrationally as conservatives do theirs. This is the fundamental truth that binds the two conflicting ideologies, and too often people are willing to overlook this fact in order to "win."
Well, this is why I carefully prefixed "matured" onto those descriptors. The nubile young liberal raging against the establishment is indeed irrationally convinced of the fundamental rightness of his or her liberal viewpoints, but that's because those viewpoints tend to be a byproduct of a very real lack of life experience, a brief history of critical thought, and new burdens of responsibility being mounted upon them. As the liberal ages and settles in, they tend to loosen up on the mindless cheerleading and think more critically and pragmatically about their pet issues. They don't fundamentally alter their positions often, yes, but they try to funnel their political goals towards a realistic middle ground rather than to demand seismic shifts. They tend to grow out of seeing "poke them with a stick" as the ideal form of communication between two opposing viewpoints, basically.

For the conservative, this evolution seems to happen in reverse. As they age, rather than gaining empathy and a willingness to consider compromise, they grasp the conservative manifesto ever tighter. They treat those that challenge their viewpoints less and less as esteemed colleagues and more and more as delusional treasonists.

The young adult set has an easy excuse as to why they're inconsiderate, obstinate, selfish, doe-eyed idealists. They're recently removed from being a child, they've just been severed from external dependancy, they're figuring things out. People with mounting decades of life experience have significantly less of an excuse to hiss and scratch like cornered animals when anyone questions their party's dogma, but that's where the finish line seems to put most seasoned Repubs.

He nails it. And it pretty much explains why he's stepping down.

Having to cover this absurd ideology takes its toll on you. And he clearly made this segment a bit more personal than usual.

kess

Huh, I didn't know that. Perhaps it's a good thing John Oliver went off to do the thing he's doing now.

If you want conservative comedy, look up Opie and Anthony on Youtube. The ignorance is pretty astounding (and hilarious at times...at least until it gets too ignorant).

Irony and satire are usually just words to dress up sarcasm as something more than the lowest form of wit. Not a fan of Stewart for this reason. But that's just his personality, he is usually correct in the points he makes.

I got tired of The Daily Show a while ago just because it felt stale and hackneyed a lot of the time, which is mostly a result of having so little time to write for a show like this. I prefer Bill Maher comedy-wise.

njean777

Irony and satire are usually just words to dress up sarcasm as something more than the lowest form of wit. Not a fan of Stewart for this reason. But that's just his personality, he is usually correct in the points he makes.

What? Satire and irony are often considered the highest form of wit and comedy. Slapstick would be the lowest...

Deadbeat

Banned
im living in a world where comedians like Chris Rock boycott performing stand up at liberal colleges/universities.
Those are the "offended at everything" groups of people. Those people may claim to be liberal, but promoting censorship and bans is not a liberal mindset.

You can not say you are open minded and then want stuff banned you disagree with.

Silexx

If you want conservative comedy, look up Opie and Anthony on Youtube. The ignorance is pretty astounding (and hilarious at times...at least until it gets too ignorant).

I got tired of The Daily Show a while ago just because it felt stale and hackneyed a lot of the time, which is mostly a result of having so little time to write for a show like this. I prefer Bill Maher comedy-wise.

Really? Bill Maher is so safe and pandering as a comedian.

Really? Bill Maher is so safe and pandering as a comedian.

Bill Maher regularly gets dead air for either going too far from what his audience wants to hear or going with a joke that they didn't catch. I can't understand anyone who thinks Maher is more safe and pandering than Jon Stewart.

Ninjimbo

That was a nice video. Comparing the conservatives to a crying child getting what they want from the parents, that's so appropriate. Gotta admire that machine.

It works both ways too.

Lime

I don't get why there isn't some law or regulations against what's going on at Fox. It's literal propaganda with fascist, racist, sexist, homophobic, bigoted distortions of reality.

BSsBrolly

Banned
I can't believe there are people seriously comparing TDS to Fox News.

That just tells me Fox's audience know it's not real news. They go there for confirmation of their beliefs, nothing more. No facts needed. The problem is they avoid everything else because it clashes with what they believe...

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I don't get why there isn't some law or regulations against what's going on at Fox. It's literal propaganda with fascist, racist, sexist, homophobic, bigoted distortions of reality.

I don't know man. Seems like a "news" corporation that constantly tells blatant lies should have their corporate charter revoked or something.

I think most of the day is classified as opinion, and very few blocks are "news". Like, its an official stance for the station.

Silexx

Bill Maher regularly gets dead air for either going too far from what his audience wants to hear or going with a joke that they didn't catch. I can't understand anyone who thinks Maher is more safe and pandering than Jon Stewart.

Oh I know Maher likes to paint himself as an 'edgy' comedian who skirts the lines, but the dead air he gets usually come from jokes that just don't work and he gets mad when his audience doesn't clap like seals.

Rapstah

I seem to remember there being a segment about free-to-play mobile games a couple of years ago where someone from a game publisher or developer came out afterward and said he was misrepresented in the Daily Show interview that aired. It was to that Simpsons point where they had recorded his answers and then cut them to different questions. The interviewer may even have been John Oliver.

Granted, free-to-play video games and how easy it is for kids to pay for microtransactions isn't really a political issue, so maybe they're way more serious about those.

Conservatives can take a joke, liberals on the other hand get "triggered" or cry SJW foul. It's easy to make a joke about a group if they really don't give a shit.

Conservatives CAN'T take a joke.

Anything this is not overtly conservative is considered liberal.

NPR, CNN, NY Times, history books, science papers, etc.

Yes, conservatives tend to not get up in arms about gender and race jokes as much as a liberal.
But then watch a conservative take a joke about the military, men's rights movements, Christianity, rich people, or capitalism. It won't go well with them.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I guess I was expecting more from the video. Didn't seem that impressive.

aliengmr

So what you are saying is they flat out lied. That the fact is that in the districts in question the voter turnout was high? That the entire story was false? Made up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom