• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider Definitive Edition (PS4/XB1) is 30 FPS

I really do think it was pretty bloody close to a consistent 60fps on PlayStation 4. And I played it too, so it didn't feel like shitty 100hz motion plus. Control response felt on point for a 60fps game.

This is both exciting and scary to read at the same time. I'd rather have a locked 30 than 60 sometimes, with drops to 30.

I really hope it's gonna stay close to 60 most of the time. :|

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if this is one of if not the first nexgen game offered for free on PS+. I'm a pass on this one till it hits the bargain bin or gets given to us by Sony

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I hope the frame-rate isn't unlocked. Motion judder can fuck off. It sucks in KZSF.
I'm so glad that judder doesn't usually bother me. Knack was the only game I've had an issue with it. As long as the game isn't jumping way up and down all the time I'll always go for more frames. Consistancy is a bigger issue to me. SF's 24 player matches give me headaches from the constant fluctuation but the lower counts are much more playable due to the added consistancy.

Cubed

It doesn't drop enough in Shadowfall for me to even notice. Maaaybe a few times in multiplayer, but not a big nuisance.

Just depends how big, and frequent, the drops are.

Shancake

No, I mean, I don't understand where the reports of "Tomb Raider runs at 30fps" are coming from when having seen and played the PlayStation 4 build today it seemed on average to be far closer if not sitting on 60fps. The framerate is unlocked in the sense that it's not locked 60fps; it did have some dips. But the dips were pretty small of the little I played/saw. I like to think I know a 30fps game when I see it, and this did not look 30fps. It looked 60fps, or very close to.

This is EXACTLY how I felt.. I read this thread just before I went to the event and was absolutely gob smacked when I saw it. It instantly looked 60FPS. I played some of the more later stages of the game where there are a ton of things happening on screen and it did not seem to dip much at all.

No, I mean, I don't understand where the reports of "Tomb Raider runs at 30fps" are coming from when having seen and played the PlayStation 4 build today it seemed on average to be far closer if not sitting on 60fps. The framerate is unlocked in the sense that it's not locked 60fps; it did have some dips. But the dips were pretty small of the little I played/saw. I like to think I know a 30fps game when I see it, and this did not look 30fps. It looked 60fps, or very close to.
Depending on the overall quality, that would be pretty surprising this early in the generation. Pretty good effort actually.

How did it compare to PC settings and how consistent was the framerate? Seems fairly smooth from what you are saying.

Tux

Some of you guys need to bring your computer to Geek squad or something because I'm not understanding your performances.

Heres my performance benchmark at enthusiast settings.
My specs:
AMD FX 4100 OC'd to 4.2GHz
2GB Radeon HD 7870 oc'd to 1103mhz core/1210mhz memory
8GB RAM

This is hardly a top of the line rig.

Settings 1440p

FPS at 1440P.

Now If I want this I can play the game at these settings fine but I can get this close to 60fps if I cut down to 1080P and turn a few settings down to high or off such as Depth of field and level of detail. Turning off tressfx will net me 60fps.

I'll be renting Tomb Raider for PS4 just to get a glimpse of it and earn some trophies while I'm at it. If you haven't had the chance to play it on last gen consoles and you don't have a capable PC go ahead this is a great game. I'm still not too happy about it being $60 though.

I need to test this on my PC too. I have a puny GTX 660ti. Don't laugh.

Burt

Just watching the livestream on Twitch with a dev, and he said definitively (har har) that 1080p/30fps was their absolute minimum target throughout the game, and that anything above that is gravy. The PS4 version that they're playing through runs mostly at 60 fps.

Hopefully that wraps it up.

Newlove

Just watching the livestream on Twitch with a dev, and he said definitively (har har) that 1080p/30fps was their absolute minimum target throughout the game, and that anything above that is gravy. The PS4 version that they're playing through runs mostly at 60 fps.

It would be appreciated if you could throw me a link to that channel...

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Well there it is, straight from the devs. New thread worthy?

Majanew

Banned
Yay another PS4 game with an unlocked frame-rate so we can have motion judder!

KZSF, Knack, COD Ghosts, and now Tomb Raider.

Very annoying.

Tux

WUT?

2if.gif

http://www.twitch.tv/gamesradar/b/497373767 (Rebroadcast if you missed it…like ME! :D)

Interesting.....

Cubed

Man, the bitch machine never stops.

GIVE ME 60 fps (which is difficult with all the upgrades they've implemented on a $400 machine)!

Okay, here's 60 fps for the vast majority of the time.

Noooooo!!! 60fps isn't 100% locked at 1080p, with tress fx, 4x resolutuon textures, higher poly count Lara, etc? Boooooo!

My God, people. Look at what they're doing with a brand new $400 console.

GIVE ME 60 fps (which is difficult with all the upgrades they've implemented on a $400 machine)!

Noooooo!!! 60fps isn't 100% locked at 1080p, with tress fx, 4x resolutuon textures, higher poly count Lara, etc? Boooooo!

It's pretty simple actually. Pick 30 or 60.

We would prefer 60, but if you can't hold that solid the vast majority of the time, then lock it at 30.

Purexed

Banned

Agreed, the kerfuffle over this is amusing.

zainetor

Banned
if they managed to make the ps4 version run at 60 for majority of time, That's only further proof that Trfx on pc is an unoptimized piece of garbitch.

Majanew

Banned

We would prefer 60, but if you can't hold that solid the vast majority of the time, then lock it at 30.

Yep. This will give the same results as sub 30fps. When the frames hit between 30 and 60, it will cause stuttering thanks a TV's refresh rate. Hopefully, it won't be that bad in Tomb Raider. Hell, COD Ghosts on PS4 was going higher than 60fps and was a stuttering mess.

Hope this drops in price or goes on sale pretty quickly. I'm willing to double-dip but not for $60. Get it down to $40 and I'll consider Square!

Tux

Even if 60 frames were locked, some would complain it's not detailed enough or doesn't have enough particle effects. I think these type of post have less to do with constructive criticism of a game (one might be inclined to purchase at $60 at launch) and rather PC-elitist pretending to care about the quality of a console game.

RyudBoy

Yo, I'd totally be content with a 60fps "most of the time" version. That's basically what I was getting on my PC anyways.

Gotta wonder if the XB1 version is also uncapped or locked at 30. If it is unlocked, I'm gonna guess it'll struggle to hit 60 often and float around in the 35-45 range.

UnrealEck

Looks nice from the video. Can't wait for screenshots so we can pick it apart and see how they got it running at 60 FPS at 1080p. Giving the trees movement makes a difference. No idea why it wasn't like that in the first place. But it's one of those things I guess that can be overlooked. In re-releases they can put in the things they thought of when it was too late and the game was already being finalised.

Now I'm going to finish it. I think I'm right at the end of the game.

Majanew

Banned
Even if 60 frames were locked, some would complain that it's not detailed enough AA or doesn't have enough particle effects. I think this has less to do with valid complaints of a game one might be inclined to purchase and rather PC-elitist pretending to care about the quality of a console game.

So who are these PC-elitists in here?

AC4 on PS4 is a rock solid 30 on PS4 and is smoother than every PS4 game with an unlocked frame-rate.

Even if 60 frames were locked, some would complain it's not detailed enough or doesn't have enough particle effects. I think these type of post have less to do with constructive criticism of a game (one might be inclined to purchase at $60 at lauch) and rather PC-elitist pretending to care about the quality of a console game.

I have nothing to do with PC gaming, and I own all three of the major consoles. I'm just one of those people who believe 60fps should be the priority for developers.

Fantasmo

A 670 can't hold 60 at 1080p Ultra. Hell, in the forest areas, it can barely HIT 60.
Anyone saying "well they just lost my sale" is completely nuts.

Yeah I agree. Locked framerates are better. 60fps isn't even necessary on a title like this IMO. If you can't lock it at 60fps, give me 30 and go nuts with the visuals.

ZeroAKA

I don't really know where to ask this but is there any chance that Amazon will have the Art Book Packaging PS4 version back in stock or should I use a different site?

CoG

A 670 can't hold 60 at 1080p Ultra. Hell, in the forest areas, it can barely HIT 60.
Anyone saying "well they just lost my sale" is completely nuts.

It's TressFX that drags it down. I get 60 locked at Ultra - TressFX. The consoles are getting TressFX 2.0 which is a different implementation.

I'd pay $20 for a Definitive conversion DLC on the PC side
and pay $5 on Steam in six months

Could you give a rough estimate of when he said that during the 70 minute live stream?

Does anyone know why Best Buy is saying this comes out Feb 4th, a week after its release date everywhere else? Are they not getting it until then? Is there actually a delay? Is Best Buy just being stupid?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I hope the frame-rate isn't unlocked. Motion judder can fuck off. It sucks in KZSF.
No it doesn't. It was very good to have in KZSF as it lowers the input lag (felt way better than KZ2 and 3) and makes the game move smoother overall. Now for some game that aims for cinematic look, I could see that it would be unwanted, but I've liked it in GoW3 as well which could classify for that type of the game. In fact most people seemed to like it in GoW3 as well.

Yay another PS4 game with an unlocked frame-rate so we can have motion judder!

KZSF, Knack, COD Ghosts, and now Tomb Raider.

Very annoying.
There's almost no games on consoles that are 'locked' 60FPS. CoD games on last gen consoles were not, almost nothing that I can think of was, BF4 and CoD recently comes closest probably. Is that good enough? Because by descriptions here, that's how this game might end up being like, with 60FPS most of the time. It is what would be described as a "60FPS game" every time it happened in the last so many years. To have the game at locked 60, that has to be a /minimum/ framerate.

Top Bottom