• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamekult editor on graphical differences between the Zelda Switch/Wii U version

sanstesy

In french here.

Rough translation courtesy of Coffinhal:

Strictly talking about the tutorial area :
Strong aliasing
Worse sharpness
Serious framerate drops
Visual issues with cutscenes and when getting out of the inventory
Too many actions (using a power+rotating the camera = "framerate death")
5 sec loading time when you get back to the Home menu
He installed every patch available
The plateau on Switch is bad framerate related and it gets better after, but in the plateau it's nowhere near what the Wii U version is

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Oh. Yikes. Well, hopefully no one planning on playing the Wii U version is a stickler for performance and IQ. And hopefully it isn't as bad as it sounds.

Talking about the home menu delay, I wonder if this game is somehow running in a reduced OS mode like how 3DS does for a few games like Smash. It might explain how a game like this is running on Wii U's hardware.

But Edge said the framerate drops in Wii U doesn't significantly affect gameplay.

Good to hear more previews though. Hope others report their findings and videos too.

It's a technical feat it even runs on Wii U. From the footage I've seen people aren't missing out on much if they don't fork out for a Switch just to play Zelda. Wii U version may not be the definitive version but it looks pretty impressive.

He installed every patch available

He actually said "there may be a day one patch in store, but until then..."

Précision : l'install' de données/MAJ promise pour la version disque est faite. Il y a peut-être un patch day one prévu mais en attendant...

He did the mandatory install. This is without a potential day one patch.

sanstesy

We will get a DF analysis for sure. And that would be much clearer than anything "observed".

People will want to buy the game way before that analysis surfaces and a dude that played the Switch version playing the Wii U version is the next best thing we have for people wanting to decide which version to get come March 3rd.

I'll deal with it and maybe rebuy on Switch if they release a complete edition or whatever when there's more games for Switch to make it worth buying.

Still want to see a DF analysis.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
How Nintendo thanks Wii U owners ...

The fact BotW runs on Wii U at all is a miracle. The fact it looks very similar to the Switch version is just as amazing.

Switch is several times more powerful than Wii U. The fact it runs smoother on Switch isn't a surprise.

How Nintendo thanks Wii U owners ...

This is like complaining that MGSV runs worse on PS3 than PS4. It's a very ambitious game and at least it's actually releasing on Wii U. Leading up to release several gaffers speculated the Wii U version was cancelled.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
People will want to buy the game way before that analysis surfaces and a dude that played the Switch version playing the Wii U version is the next best thing we have.

So you think that people who didn't decide yet to buy a Switch will just decide now based on the opinion of a Gamekult editor?

Edit: when we have also other opinions and even videos that point to nothing as dramatic as he describe.

yyr

It's a technical feat it even runs on Wii U.

The fact BotW runs on Wii U at all is a miracle.

This game was designed from the ground up specifically FOR the Wii U. Of course it runs on the system it was designed to be played on!

Leading up to release several gaffers speculated the Wii U version was cancelled.

They would have lost a lot of future sales if they'd done something so stupid as promising a new Zelda on Wii U for literally years and then cancelling it.

Oregano

This wouldn't be surprising. Whilst Breath of the Wild doesn't match up to PS4/XBO games it's head and shoulders above any games on weaker systems, including Nintendo's own Xenoblade Chronicles X.

Makes Switch all the more amazing as a portable piece of hardware.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
It's a technical feat it even runs on Wii U. From the footage I've seen people aren't missing out on much if they don't fork out for a Switch just to play Zelda. Wii U version may not be the definitive version but it looks pretty impressive.

The fact BotW runs on Wii U at all is a miracle. The fact it looks very similar to the Switch version is just as amazing.

Switch is several times more powerful than Wii U. The fact it runs smoother on Switch isn't a surprise.

Are you guys for real? Its a fucking Wii U game to begin with.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
People will want to buy the game way before that analysis surfaces and a dude that played the Switch version playing the Wii U version is the next best thing we have for people wanting to decide which version to get come March 3rd.

I don't think there was ever going to be a question of which version is better. If someone has access to both consoles and is just choosing which version to play, I can't imagine any reason why someone should choose Wii U. However, I do understand that "play at launch" vs. "wait X months and buy the definitive version on new hardware" for people who didn't preorder Switch is a big question to consider.

This game was designed from the ground up specifically FOR the Wii U. Of course it runs on the system it was designed to be played on!

The last time we saw gamepad integration was 2014. The game mysteriously resurfaced with all gamepad features dropped, makes me wonder when the Switch version started development and whether the Wii U was the native platform in later stages of development.

Alienous

Surprising for a lead SKU game, especially a Nintendo one. Given how often they go after 60fps you'd imagine dips from 30fps would be like heresy to them.

tuxfool

Banned

Yeah, this. Unless Nintendo suddenly comes out and says we were targeting the switch and ported it to the Wii U, then there would be a leg to stand on.

I don't know, I rather trust Edge to be honest. I saw the Wii U version in a stream and it doesn't look like a huge deal at all. Aliasing is the one thing which you can clearly see beeing worse in the Wii U version, but otherwise it looks fine.
The switch version doesn't run perfect either and I doubt the game will be a technical masterpiece anyway, so no problem for me.

sanstesy

So you think that people who didn't decide yet to buy a Switch will just decide now based on the opinion of a Gamekult editor?

I'm not sure what your problem is.

People are curious about the differences between both versions. Now we have impressions by a dude who has played both versions and what people do with this information is for them to decide.

C'mon Nintendo, people expect solid performance from your games. Wii U owners are your most hardcore supporters, and you treat them like this?

Moff

I feel the game should run better on both systems for how it looks.

At least we know now that handheld switch version is the best version of this game.

Surprising for a lead SKU game, especially a Nintendo one. Given how often they go after 60fps you'd imagine dips from 30fps would be like heresy to them.

Well, everyone wanted Nintendo to join the modern era. So we're getting an open world game with all the performance problems that entails.

Lasty95

Sounds like the equivalent of the usual PS4 to Bone comparisons, nothing more.

No biggie at all.

We know the Switch has a little more oomph. EDGE have made it very clear that the WiiU version suffers only slightly compared to the Switch.

I'd be very interested in seeing what DF have to say, but lets not pretend that the WiiU verision is some sort of disaster.

antonz

What I find interesting and its echoed is that it seems the issues are almost exclusively linked to the plateau region. Curious what it is about that region causing the problems when its not even that large a region

But Edge said the framerate drops in Wii U doesn't significantly affect gameplay.

Good to hear more previews though. Hope others report their findings and videos too.

I would assume they aren't enough to affect gameplay and the overall experience as a whole, but it seems like it's enough to differentiate which is the better version.

Alienous

What I find interesting and its echoed is that it seems the issues are almost exclusively linked to the plateau region. Curious what it is about that region causing the problems when its not even that large a region

It seems to have the highest density of grass of any area in the game (though I haven't seen much of the game outside of official media). That's CPU intensive, and the Wii U would particularly be at a disadvantage in that regard.

Top Bottom