• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cooking GAF: OT

nush

Edit: the big challenge with shepard's pie is all the grease from lamb. Cottage pie, beef, is easy. I discovered cooking the ground lamb halfway through then draining the grease before sticking it in the pan for baking works best.

It's true and that's the right thing to do, bonus points if you save the fat. It's super flavorful and you know it will be pure. I've got a lot of rather fatty ground beef, I get a good rice bowls worth of fat from that per pack.

Ian Henry

Ain't nothing but some good Mac & Cheese. Made this last night. Thought I share.
Add 2 cups of butter. Let it melt. Then add 1/2 tablespoon of black pepper and 1 cup of flour. Add salt as well. Stir for 5 minutes and then you add 2 cups of milk. Make sure you stir the mixture until it is smooth and bubbly. Don't let it be liquidy. Add as much sharp yellow cheddar cheese as you want. Then when it is complete, put the noodles in a rectangular pan but put non-pan sticking oil first so there won't be no problems. Pour the cheese on the noodles and put in the oven. I usually have it at 380°. Leave it in for 45 minutes or until it has a golden yellow-mid orange color and you can eat!
6I5obxy.jpg
KoByhFc.jpg

Last edited:

nush

Ain't nothing but some good Mac & Cheese. Made this last night. Thought I share.
Add 2 cups of butter. Let it melt. Then add 1/2 tablespoon of black pepper and 1 cup of flour. Add salt as well. Stir for 5 minutes and then you add 2 cups of milk. Make sure you stir the mixture until it is smooth and bubbly. Don't let it be liquidy. Add ass much cheese sharp yellow cheddar cheese as you want. Then when it is complete, put the noodles in a rectangular pan but put non-pan sticking oil first so there would be no problems. Pour the cheese on the noodles and put in the oven. I usually have it at 380°. Leave it in for 45 minutes or until it has a golden yellow-mid oranges color and you can eat!
6I5obxy.jpg
KoByhFc.jpg

Any cooking is valid here, it's real cooking by real people. These are great instructions, hope to see more from you.

MrMephistoX

Chinese women spend all evening making those things together on new years.
I’ve witnessed it first hand it’s like sorcery. My wife spent her childhood doing it but she was like “nah lao waiT boy you wanted to make this from scratch you bao your own damn: jiaozi I’m buying wrappers at H-Mart.”

MrMephistoX

Add 2 cups of butter. Let it melt. Then add 1/2 tablespoon of black pepper and 1 cup of flour. Add salt as well. Stir for 5 minutes and then you add 2 cups of milk. Make sure you stir the mixture until it is smooth and bubbly. Don't let it be liquidy. Add as much sharp yellow cheddar cheese as you want. Then when it is complete, put the noodles in a rectangular pan but put non-pan sticking oil first so there would be no problems. Pour the cheese on the noodles and put in the oven. I usually have it at 380°. Leave it in for 45 minutes or until it has a golden yellow-mid orange color and you can eat!
6I5obxy.jpg
KoByhFc.jpg
Nice and yeah the purpose of the thread is just to show what you cooked regardless of skill level and to swap recipes like 50’s sitcom housewives ;)

nush

I made some quick ham fried rice. By request I did not add soy sauce while cooking so others could season it how they liked afterwards. I really wish I had added broccoli but oh well, was still pretty good.

s6aVtv2.png

Traditionally you don't add soy sauce while cooking anyway. You can try Maggies brand season sauce instead of Soy for a different flavor.

MrMephistoX

I didn’t cook today but I mixed coffee, honey and rum together and holy shit I’m wondering if this is what cocaine feels like?

I made some quick ham fried rice. By request I did not add soy sauce while cooking so others could season it how they liked afterwards. I really wish I had added broccoli but oh well, was still pretty good.

s6aVtv2.png
IS that a Lodge cast iron my friend? If so we are skillet brothers.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Traditionally you don't add soy sauce while cooking anyway. You can try Maggies brand season sauce instead of Soy for a different flavor.

I like to add soy sauce right as I finish it myself. That way the saltiness kind of cooks into it. :)

I didn’t cook today but I mixed coffee, honey and rum together and holy shit I’m wondering if this is what cocaine feels like?

IS that a Lodge cast iron my friend? If so we are skillet brothers.

Yes! It is very old despite the looks, my mom gave it to me when I moved out years ago. I've been pretty good about properly cleaning it after cooking so it still looks pretty new.

MrMephistoX

I like to add soy sauce right as I finish it myself. That way the saltiness kind of cooks into it. :)

Yes! It is very old despite the looks, my mom gave it to me when I moved out years ago. I've been pretty good about properly cleaning it after cooking so it still looks pretty new.
Same these things are the Volvo of cookware; not the most attractive but built like a tank. Steel wool it and you’re practically back to brand new.

epicnemesis

Okay, I had a mad food scientist moment today. Beef rib burnt ends using an Asian style bbq sauce.

A part of me feels like I am doing something unholy, but I have to try this once I get my hands on some beef ribs.

A few shots of the ingredients and putting things together. Then the money shot, my son's steak (more medium to well) and my steak (medium). Tricky to get right on the BBQ, bit more practice required by the misses and I.

We always put some tunes on and have a drink and a chat by the BBQ. Good Times. 8 year old daughter ate 80% of her steak too so more success there as well.

Last edited:

highrider

Banned
s5up6HV.jpg

White pizza with Fontina cheese, very simple, garlic, touch of oregano, salt, pepper, chopped garlic, high heat. The peppers are marinated in an algave/olive oil and balsamic blend, little parsley and cracked red pepper for color, pecorino cheese or parmesan. The hot cheese mixing with the tang and sweet of the peppers 😛

Last edited:

MrMephistoX

I swear by Ramsay's method now. They come out so much better that way.
They really do but the Chinese method of heating up oil to the point of nearly causing a fire in a cast iron wok works better for eggs in fried rice or tomatoes and scrambled eggs and such. See the nush nush method above.

Last edited:

nush

Yup, Chinese way makes harder, drier scrambled eggs. If I make English style scrambled eggs and put them in Chinese food they would dissolve into mush (maybe, never tried). Chinese style is more like chunks of omelette.

nush

"When you are full. Stop eating" - A smart person quote.

Made a spaghetti bolognese, about 25% too much. Rather than powering through to finish it, I just put the plate in the fridge. Not quite enough left for another meal but enough for a breakfast snack with coffee. Failing that, I'll give it to the dog.

Don't overeat just because you don't want to waste, it will spoil your meal and it's not good for your weight. You have options. In a restaurant, doggy bag what's left.

MrMephistoX

The more compact the mash the better it will turn out also try a higher heat.
Good idea I’ve also seen some recipes calling for egg in the mash and shredded instead of ground cheddar or Parmesan? Overall it was delicious but I think I’m turning it into breaded potato balls and throwing in some more spices tomorrow. It’s like perfect consistency for croquettes.

MrMephistoX

eEQEsDn.jpg

Rice noodles soup with meatballs.
Never thought of Chinese meatball soup. I usually make a bunch of Italian meatballs and freeze them. Trying this with my go to shallot sauce, green onion, garlic, ginger + soy sauce go to soup base ;)

Last edited:

nush

Fuck I’m sorry man. I’m in NorCal so we’re one storm of the century wildfire or earthquake away from being in your position.

I hope you've put time into prepping. water, alternate power/heating and stuff. Just basics for a month not a years worth in a bunker. :messenger_winking:

nush

Never thought of that I usually make a bunch of Italian meatballs and freeze them. Trying this with my go to shallot sauce, onion, garlic, ginger + soy sauce go to soup base ;)
Meatballs suck up the soup in a nice way. not like tomato sauce.

MrMephistoX

I hope you've put time into prepping. water, alternate power/heating and stuff. Just basics for a month not a years worth in a bunker. :messenger_winking:
Yeah I got a power inverter for my EV and am not going without at least one electric car for this very reason. I went a tad nuts prepping when COVID first hit including a hunting rifle two bug out emergency bags, two containers of pasta and canned goods, water etc. If need be I can at least shoot my dinner? I really should get a solar powered backup generator like a Yeti too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom