• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 getting its biggest update soon, thoughts on post release support?

link1201

Sorry, I'm here, late but here! It's been a little hectic but exciting! Feels good, man. Days/weeks like this are why I really love the Halo community and makes the more difficult spells worth it. We all needed something positive to rally around and I'm going to savor it while it lasts. The team has worked really hard so it's great to see a lot of positive vibes coming in and look forward to everyone jumping in on 12/8. We haven't even really revealed Forge yet (tomorrow!), which IMO, is the biggest part of this update in terms of the potential it brings to the game for everyone.

Good stuff, hopefully we see some more forge maps in mm soon.

Hopefully that won't happen for Halo 6 and 343i can instead use all the wonderful feedback they got from 5 and have a more efficient and responsive development cycle, meaning that modes like Breakout won't be prioritized and that time/effort/money can be put towards BTB.

I do have a positive outlook for Halo 6. That’s one thing 343 does correctly, they learn from their mistakes. Halo 5 is a significant improvement over Halo 4. When it comes to multiplayer it’s one of the best in the series bar none, it just has some other issues that keep it from greatness (matchmaking, playlist management, lack of modes, and etc.) So I’m pretty excited to see how they finally end the trilogy with Halo 6.

I do have a positive outlook for Halo 6. That’s one thing 343 does correctly, they learn from their mistakes. Halo 5 is a significant improvement over Halo 4. When it comes to multiplayer it’s one of the best in the series bar none, it just has some other issues that keep it from greatness (matchmaking, playlist management, lack of modes, and etc.) So I’m pretty excited to see how they finally end the trilogy with Halo 6.

Well they certainly have a great base to make that game off of, seeing how they allegedly had to build everything from the ground up for the Xbox One transition. Hopefully everything will be able to transfer over to 6 without much of a problem and then they can work on meeting expectations and then working towards adding new content versus setting the foundations for their game and then having to play catch-up.

I'm making this a separate paragraph because I really want to stress this point and hopefully 343i will read it, but I think a big improvement Halo 6 could use for playlist management - which I believe was one of Halo 5's biggest issues - would be to stop trying to appease the competitive community above the general community. While their input is important and can make for a tighter, more balanced experience, sometimes their level of oversight reaches a point of being more of a burden on the game than a benefit. Look at Assault for example: since the only playlist players could find objective game types in (save timed featured ones), the fate of Assault and I assume many other objective game types were at the feet of the judgement of the competitive community, which is why it kept being pulled for tweaking and now has been pretty much scrapped. Team Arena needs to be recast as HCS, similar to MLG from past games, and not treated as a hallmark mode that the general community should participate in. Nothing in that playlist should be treated as standard, but instead refined for competitive play. Then, the general playlists can be a bit more forgiving for "imperfect" game types, thus giving the general community more content because we genuinely don't give a damn if the pros don't like it, we want to play Halo to have fun, and one of the most fun parts about Halo has been its variety. The general playlists can still be ranked, but they really don't need to be 100% refined for competitive play. If this were done for Halo 5, we could have been playing so many more objective game modes, given we had a playlist for them, for a much longer amount of time. And honestly, it's not too late to implement this in 5 and I highly, highly, highly recommend that you guys do.

ManCannon

I'm making this a separate paragraph because I really want to stress this point and hopefully 343i will read it, but I think a big improvement Halo 6 could use for playlist management - which I believe was one of Halo 5's biggest issues - would be to stop trying to appease the competitive community above the general community. While their input is important and can make for a tighter, more balanced experience, sometimes their level of oversight reaches a point of being more of a burden on the game than a benefit. Look at Assault for example: since the only playlist players could find objective game types in (save timed featured ones), the fate of Assault and I assume many other objective game types were at the feet of the judgement of the competitive community, which is why it kept being pulled for tweaking and now has been pretty much scrapped. Team Arena needs to be recast as HCS, similar to MLG from past games, and not treated as a hallmark mode that the general community should participate in. Nothing in that playlist should be treated as standard, but instead refined for competitive play. Then, the general playlists can be a bit more forgiving for "imperfect" game types, thus giving the general community more content because we genuinely don't give a damn if the pros don't like it, we want to play Halo to have fun, and one of the most fun parts about Halo has been its variety. The general playlists can still be ranked, but they really don't need to be 100% refined for competitive play. If this were done for Halo 5, we could have been playing so many more objective game modes, given we had a playlist for them, for a much longer amount of time. And honestly, it's not too late to implement this in 5 and I highly, highly, highly recommend that you guys do.

I think you're going to like some of the playlist changes coming with this update, particularly a philosophical separation in "ranked" vs. "social." Social Skirmish is what I'm personally excited about - I admittedly don't personally care too much about rank, I just want to play a wide variety of games/maps and have fun doing it. Social Skirmish should deliver that in spades (not to mention exciting updates to Action Sack). In "year two" you're going to see a shift in how playlists are being managed and a commitment to more ongoing Forge content integration and 'risk' taking outside of the ranked lists.

psyfi

Banned
I think you're going to like some of the playlist changes coming with this update, particularly a philosophical separation in "ranked" vs. "social." Social Skirmish is what I'm personally excited about - I admittedly don't personally care too much about rank, I just want to play a wide variety of games/maps and have fun doing it. Social Skirmish should deliver that in spades (not to mention exciting updates to Action Sack). In "year two" you're going to see a shift in how playlists are being managed and a commitment to more ongoing Forge content integration and 'risk' taking outside of the ranked lists.
Thanks for all the hard work! It's cool to see you back with Halo. :)

Awesome stuff, I'm really looking forward to it. Feels like it has been a while since we've had this strong momentum to propel us into a new age of Halo multiplayer. Feels good man, and I'm happy to see you there :]

RoKKeR

Love to hear it, as this is something I've been hoping to see as well. Thanks for stopping by and providing some updates... will definitely be checking things out on Thursday.

Clauss

I was into the PC version of H5 Forge pretty heavily for the first week but it was a bit of a hassle finding a game via Discord and whatnot. I'm looking forward to the influx of players that this will undoubtedly bring as well.

Lutherian

The server browser is all that's missing on PC preventing me from playing. Won't that instantly create a sizeable community of players on PC? I don't have XBone but I love Halo 5. I should be thrilled about this right?

I'm pretty sure I'm wrong but you can now play Halo 5 on PC and not only Forge mode ?

Trup1aya

I know some people were wondering whats the problem with Halo 5s aiming system.

The cheat enablers over at Xim studied the system closely so that they could create a h5 profile for their kb/m adapter.

Here's what they found:

The Halo community (XIM and controller gamers alike) have been talking about Halo 5's surprise changes to how it aims. XIM's Smart Translator system gives us an insight into how every game developer designs their aiming systems. I can tell you after studying the data that 343 has done a great disservice to the Halo community.

343 changed Halo aim by splitting the stick into 2 separate regions: aim and turn. They also chose this point seeming arbitrarily as well before maximum stick deflection. Meaning, any player that accidentally goes beyond this point (such as during the heat of a fire fight) will find their reticle jump. The speed gap between "aim" and "turn" is very large. Instead of moving towards a good example of an aiming system (i.e. CoD and BF), they went completely the other way.

link

Essentially, there's a massive jump in reticle speed after you reach a certain deflection point on your joystick, as you move from the aim region to the turn region. imo the aim region is to small and to slow, and the turn region is to large.

This makes it harder to track. A strafing opponent than in previous halo's because attempts to simply adjust your aim end up turning your character

Novocaine

I haven't booted up Halo 5 in a while. Could use a good excuse to go back. Such good MP.

The post release support for this game has been so good. It feels like a totally different game from the release.

Trup1aya

Did they fix the quitter problem.

That's why I left. Won't go back unless it's fixed.

How much of the problem is quitting and how much is disconnecting due to poor netcode.

Ideally they would make anyone who quits/disconnects have to wait until the end of the previous match to start a new one OR they can rejoin. This would punish quitters, but not those who didn't leave intentionally

JoeLT

There is no fix for that in any game. Just ban/timeout people is the best they can do.
Or they could just be like every game ever and at least allow join in progress for non-ranked playlists, like they do with Warzone. Didn't even Halo 4 have this? Also really wish they'd have kill cams and ned game emotes, didn't they have this in the beta? Why go backwards?

Snackawho

Or they could just be like every game ever and at least allow join in progress for non-ranked playlists, like they do with Warzone. Didn't even Halo 4 have this? Also really wish they'd have kill cams and ned game emotes, didn't they have this in the beta? Why go backwards?

Join in progress is there for non ranked modes..... And kill cams isn't Halo. That's why it was removed.

Edit: To clarify more on the kill can issue. People prefer the way halo handles their deaths is so you can call out last known positions to your teammates of an enemy's position or the position of a dropped power weapon. A kill can doesn't allow you to do that.

jem0208

They do have JIP for unranked.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I'm making this a separate paragraph because I really want to stress this point and hopefully 343i will read it, but I think a big improvement Halo 6 could use for playlist management - which I believe was one of Halo 5's biggest issues - would be to stop trying to appease the competitive community above the general community..

This is a common misconception. Both mainstream and pro communities have legitimate complaints, ideas and feedback about content, but trust me when I say that the bolded does not happen. However both communities accuse us of favoring the other. In reality it's a matrix of properly thought out decisions, that like most of these processes, it is NEVER going to be perfect, but we'll continue to try to get it right.

Gator86

The game launched and a full year has gone by and I'm looking through this thread with control + F: aiming. Simply astounding. I wanted to play the MP on this way more, but the aiming was the worst I've encountered this gen, and maybe last. I'll give it a shot again once this update rolls out but I'm expecting to be turning the game off in disgust like every time I've tried to play the multiplayer.

It would be amazing if we got customizable stances/poses for the end match screen, instead of Spartans just standing there.

Imagine your Spartan giving a thumbs up, setting up a crane kick, being in a twerking position, or...

...doing a Jojo pose Kreygasm
jojos_bizarre_adventure-14-joseph-caesar-poses-colors-dramatic-dododododo.jpg

wwm0nkey

It would be amazing if we got customizable stances/poses for the end match screen, instead of Spartans just standing there.

Imagine your Spartan giving a thumbs up, setting up a crane kick, being in a twerking position, or...

...doing a Jojo pose Kreygasm
I need a JoJo pose in Halo, it just needs to happen

That sounds great, Social Skirmish and and updated Action Sack will definitely provide a lot more variety for casual players and I think having those two fleshed out modes will scratch a lot of itches. While game modes like Infection, Grifball, and Action Sack are really fun and help make Halo's multiplayer a unique experience, I've often found myself wanting that same relaxed, social-oriented variety with the base Halo experience, which hopefully Social Skirmish will satisfy. I remember Action Sack brought a lot of my friends back into Halo 5 for a while, so seeing that updated along with an additional social playlist will definitely bring back a lot of players, especially when there are so many new games pulling them away.

This is a common misconception. Both mainstream and pro communities have legitimate complaints, ideas and feedback about content, but trust me when I say that the bolded does not happen. However both communities accuse us of favoring the other. In reality it's a matrix of properly thought out decisions, that like most of these processes, it is NEVER going to be perfect, but we'll continue to try to get it right.
That's good to know, I'm glad that both communities' feedback are valued equally. However, I feel like that misconception is there for a reason. Throughout the past year of release I've often heard this complaint coming from some of the more frustrated or maybe dissatisfied fans across multiple forums, whether it be here, Waypoint, or Reddit. I think this misconception may stem from not necessarily a lack of content, but a lack of variety in said content with areas present in past Halo games left uncovered in this current one. While some modes that were missing have procedurally been added, like BTB and Infection, a lot of staple game modes that provide core game modes still aren't present, like basic objective exclusive playlists or Rumble Pit. Whenever I hop onto Halo 5 and want to play "normal" Halo multiplayer, my only options are Slayer/SWAT, Strongholds, and CTF between 4v4 and BTB playlists, and that can get old fast when you've been playing a game for a year, no matter how satisfying the core gameplay is. Ideally, I want to keep playing Halo 5's multiplayer until the next installment releases, but that becomes hard to do when things get stale. This next update and what ske7ch said about what's to come in Year 2 are great strides in the right direction that address this problem, but it would have been nice to have it more consistently throughout the first year as well.

Also, thank you guys so much for responding. I don't think there is this level of community involvement for any other series I've ever played, and it's one of the reasons I've stuck with Halo since I bought my first Xbox (which was to play Halo on).

W.S.

Halo 5 getting continued multi player support is great, it's one of the best multiplayer shooters around.

But as a single player person I feel a bit hung out to dry since the multiplayer to campaign ratio of content is so unevenly in multi's favor. It's crazy that with all the transmedia content they put out that they couldn't squeeze in ONE story DLC to add another Chief/Blue Team portion. I think at this point it'll be 100+ gigs with most of it being multiplayer content.

Granted, I understand that multi is where they make their money in the long run but I wished it didn't come at the expense of having more campaign stuff.

The game launched and a full year has gone by and I'm looking through this thread with control + F: aiming. Simply astounding. I wanted to play the MP on this way more, but the aiming was the worst I've encountered this gen, and maybe last. I'll give it a shot again once this update rolls out but I'm expecting to be turning the game off in disgust like every time I've tried to play the multiplayer.
Same fam, I redownloaded the game yesterday after they announced the "fix" coming tomorrow. I pray its going to fix it

The cheat enablers over at Xim studied the system closely so that they could create a h5 profile for their kb/m adapter.

Here's what they found:

link

Essentially, there's a massive jump in reticle speed after you reach a certain deflection point on your joystick, as you move from the aim region to the turn region. imo the aim region is to small and to slow, and the turn region is to large.

This makes it harder to track. A strafing opponent than in previous halo's because attempts to simply adjust your aim end up turning your character
They found out the problem TWO days after release and spelt out how to fix it, and we are now just getting a fix a year later. I hope there was a deeper issue that kept this from being resolved.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

If you don't like the fundamental way the game plays, this fix isn't going to change your mind. For most players, this will be a nuanced fix that they may appreciate but might not even notice. Pro Players will certainly notice, but some may not even "use" it in their preferred style of play.

Here's what they found:

link

Discovered? Hasn't this been known since the aiming was developed and is largely how all good shooters handle console controls. Overwatch just introduced this very change. Dishonored does the same thing. If I recall correctly, there's even a setting in Halo to adjust where this jump from aiming sensitivity to turn sensitivity triggers (at the very edges or sooner).

jem0208

They found out the problem TWO days after release and spelt out how to fix it, and we are now just getting a fix a year later. I hope there was a deeper issue that kept this from being resolved.

Here's what they found:

link

This is how all Halos have worked, there's always a jump from "aim" speed to "look" speed. I went back and tested every title, it's present on every single one. Without it you'd basically always have slow turn. The difference with H5 was that the jump was slightly more pronounced and happened a bit earlier (i.e: required less stick deflection). The new options they added effectively solve this issue though as you can customise when the jump occurs and how fast it is (outer deadzone and aim acceleration options).

This is not what the update is changing. The new fix is for a latency issue, that feeling of a heavy reticule is caused by input lag. This update is reducing that input lag.

singhr1

Here's what they found:

link

Didn't we already know this? Like I remember them telling this to us and it was done because of the increased mobility/verticality requires large movement shifts but still need precision aiming when shooting at a distance.

Trup1aya

Discovered? Hasn't this been known since the aiming was developed and is largely how all good shooters handle console controls. Overwatch just introduced this very change. Dishonored does the same thing. If I recall correctly, there's even a setting in Halo to adjust where this jump from aiming sensitivity to turn sensitivity triggers (at the very edges or sooner).

Yeah other titles do it. The problem is in the execution here. the default controls should make the average user feel comfortable.

This is how all Halos have worked, there's always a jump from "aim" speed to "look" speed. I went back and tested every title, it's present on every single one. Without it you'd basically always have slow turn. The difference with H5 was that the jump was slightly more pronounced and happened a bit earlier (i.e: required less stick deflection). The new options they added effectively solve this issue though as you can customise when the jump occurs and how fast it is (outer deadzone and aim acceleration options).

This is not what the update is changing. The new fix is for a latency issue, that feeling of a heavy reticule is caused by input lag. This update is reducing that input lag.

Every other halo doesn't make customers tweak settings they know nothing about in search of controls that feel at home.

Didn't we already know this? Like I remember them telling this to us and it was done because of the increased mobility/verticality requires large movement shifts but still need precision aiming when shooting at a distance.

Yeah i do remember reading something like this. This game really isn't more vertical that previous entries,but mobility DOES increase the need for a system that facilitates larger shifts. However this particular execution wasn't well received-and people loved how the beta felt.

---

Like i said, to me the issue not that they have a section for turn and a section for aim, but that the turn section is too large by default and the aim section to small and unresponsive. This leads to a disorientingly large velocity change whenever deflection passes the threshold.

Providing customizable settings is not an adequate solution to the problem because most users won't be able to even articulate their issue let alone understand what changes to make to fix it. Not only that, but in my case, using anything but default sensitivities seems to add latency to my input.

I'm hoping that by making the aiming more responsive (which sounds like what this update does) , I'll be less inclined to cross into the turning section when trying to track a player. It seems like now i deflect the stick, but due to the slow response, i feel inclined to move it further, then i end up moving it too far.

Top Bottom