• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna - The Golden Country Review Thread

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
RPGsite: 8
Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna ~ The Golden Country is a great supplementary experience that adds another layer to the story of Xenoblade Chronicles 2. It’s a meaty expansion that clarifies a lot of important details in the histories of several central characters inside the main game. I enjoyed the laid back vibe throughout this story expansion. Its musical score leans hard on mellow jazz tunes that I totally dug, and XC2: Torna’s new battle theme is downright awesome. I also liked quite a few of the new, cozy night themes.
While many of its gameplay systems remain the same, Monolith Soft did a tremendous job tweaking battles to make them a bit faster-paced and more digestible all at once. Even though the expansion has its share of problems, like gating progress with forced sidequest thresholds, I still found it a lot of fun and people who loved the world of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 will have an absolute blast with this new perspective of the stories they’ve heard before.

destructoid: 8
Torna didn't need to re-invent the wheel beyond its swap conceit. Monolith Soft is already perfectly capable of crafting giant worlds worth exploring and characters worth listening to or getting invested in. Torna also sports a slightly unique adventuring tint, with the need to discover campfires to rest at (and thus, level up or engage in said crafting) rather than the cozy benefits of an inn. Inns and campsites are ostensibly the same, but the new theme allows Torna room to breathe and be its own thing. The same goes for the micro-feature "community," which is a cute meta-attempt to tie in NPCs with the world and your band of merry Drivers.

In case you're curious Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna - The Golden Country does mostly work as a standalone RPG, like a sort of pointed gateway for the daunting series. You might not pick up on some of the relationship-centric nuances or worldbuilding cues, but as long as you're paying attention you'll be able to piece that together.

Last edited:

Poppyseed

Hmmm, only 12 hours long, apparently. Either way, despite owning the Season pass, no way am I wasting any more time on this turd. Buying the game + season pass is one of my biggest gaming regrets.

Last edited:

noqtic

I can't wait to sink my teeth into this. I have put over 200 hours into the XC2 and I need something to distract me from the challenge missions.

Danjin44

Hmmm, only 12 hours long, apparently. Either way, despite owning the Season pass, no way am I wasting any more time on this turd. Buying the game + season pass is one of my biggest gaming regrets.
Maybe next you don't go rush out to buy season pass for a game you don't know you going enjoy or not. I personally enjoyed the base game greatly so the season pass was damn worth it.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Im not touching this but XC2 wasn't a turd :/

Poppyseed

Maybe next you don't go rush out to buy season pass for a game you don't know you going enjoy or not. I personally enjoyed the base game greatly so the season pass was damn worth it.

OH I learned my lesson. I loved XC1. This was a joke by comparison... Zero respect for the gamer's time, boring, elongated combat, terrible map system etc. Just... yuck.

Danjin44

OH I learned my lesson. I loved XC1. This was a joke by comparison... Zero respect for the gamer's time, boring, elongated combat, terrible map system etc. Just... yuck.
okay-gif-1.gif

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I've pre-ordered physical edition for ~16.5 Euro (which is like almost two times less that what SP cost in eShop) a week ago. Hopefully it'll be delivered today as it says on the website:messenger_grinning:

P.S. I really don't understand the hate towards the main game, but whatever, we're all different and love different things and it's:messenger_ok:

Last edited:

Ma-Yuan

:messenger_beaming:
Well, I've my ways dealing with Nintendo's BS, plus I live in Russia wich also has it's benefits.

HfZO915.png
Ok thats awesome. Gonna cost me 39,99 € but its worth that for me since the Xeno series is my favorite RPG series of all time >< Got XCX 4 times (Jp.; EU Collectors; US Collectors and normal German Version for playing :D )

Top Bottom