• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall Beta (PC/Xbone) Impressions (No Key Begging/Trading or I will ban you!)

One thing I can say about the game, it's the first FPS I've played since building a PC where I'm finding KB+Mouse advantageous over a controller. For someone who has really struggled with other games, and for a game so based around movement it's a pretty amazing feat.

I had a window popup during install showing the Titanfall Audio Decompression Utility that unpacked 6 GB of audio files. I asked a couple of other people and they didn't report seeing that. I guess I'm special, and also, beta.

No, I saw that too. It might not have been just audio files.

Gurrry

Candles_of_Hope.gif

Posted this is the NPD thread, want to know what you guys think of it. I been thinking, and I'm willing to bet that the delay for Titanfall on 360 was a political move by MS. The news came out about the time that MS would have gotten January's numbers back. So, realizing they really need Titanfall to move units, they delay the 360 version so that if people want it at launch they have to do it on PC or Xbox One.

N.Domixis

Banned
If it's a bug in the netcode or something like that, this should have been fixed pretty quickly, I think...
Yeah, they are just trying to hide that the azure servers aren't handling the amount of players playing. It would look pretty dumb after all the gloating they did about cloud servers. By saying its a bug they will protect the "XBOX live superior" mentality that was rampant last gen.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
@jonshiring Don't rush to play yet - way premature - but we are slowly coming back online. I will update when you should try playing again.

I guess that's the best we're gonna get for now, huh?

I'd really love to know more details about what the problem is. I know they said there's some kind of bug that is preventing them from creating new servers but surely there's got to be some kind of major issue involved if it's taking them 6+ hours to get them working again.

Edit:

@jonshiring Don't rush to play yet - way premature - but we are slowly coming back online. I will update when you should try playing again.

Well that's sounds way more encouraging. Hopefully they have it up within the next hour or so then.

Dueck

Banned
I managed to download it and play the training before I went out this afternoon. It gave me a very positive first impression. The thing that stood out the most was how great the parkour stuff flowed. I honestly find it better than Mirror's Edge.

Question for the guys that have been playing it: approximately how long do the matches usually take?

Had a hell of a time getting a code earlier. Got stuck behind the aftermath of a 5-car pile-up (one of which flipped over)... Finally get home to see the servers were taken down. I'm honestly thinking as soon as I get to play this, an earthquake will happen. If it does, I apologize to those affected in the pacific north-west region.

jax

Banned
I guess that's the best we're gonna get for now, huh?

I'd really love to know more details about what the problem is. I know they said there's some kind of bug that is preventing them from creating new servers but surely there's got to be some kind of major issue involved if it's taking them 6+ hours to get them working again.

Microsoft doesn't have their shit together. What else is new?

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Posted this is the NPD thread, want to know what you guys think of it. I been thinking, and I'm willing to bet that the delay for Titanfall on 360 was a political move by MS. The news came out about the time that MS would have gotten January's numbers back. So, realizing they really need Titanfall to move units, they delay the 360 version so that if people want it at launch they have to do it on PC or Xbox One.

Or maybe since it's being outsourced to Bluepoint, it just needs more time in the oven. We have not seen any 360 footage ever if I am not mistaken.

Zornack

I doubt MS gets to make that decision, I assume EA does.

The 360 version will sell more than the XB1 and PC versions combined, I think. EA would want to get that out of the door as soon as possible. Unless Microsoft handed over another bag of money to delay the 360 version then I think the delay is genuine.

The sales trend kinda makes it rather pointless, imo.

If we were to believe tracking charts/pre-orders, it seems like last-gen is dead/dead/dead, but then we still hear conference calls that show that last-gen still make up a healthy chunk of game sales. Maybe not proportional to install base, but at least 60% are definitely still in the hands of last-gen.

What that tells me is that current-gen sales will be extremely front-loaded, and pick-up from last-gen will be slower anyway, so those who intended to pick-up 360 TF... would more likely than not to be hungry for it at day 1.

Will it have an impact? Obviously. Any move to put XB1 SKU in an advantageous position will do so, but I honestly think that it will have minimal impact given how quickly the hardcore have moved to current-gen software in terms of momentum.

I think they would had been better served to delay the PC version as well. For US/UK, delaying the 360 version matter more, but other more robust EU markets with a healthy PC gaming market will dilute TF's XB1 SKU from a global scope.

N.Domixis

Banned
Or maybe since it's being outsourced to Bluepoint, it just needs more time in the oven. We have not seen any 360 footage ever if I am not mistaken.

Or they have not shown the 360 footage because people would see negligible differences between the versions and just buy the 360 version. Basically making the exclusive deal pointless for the xbo1.

Dueck

Banned

The 360 version will sell more than the XB1 and PC versions combined, I think. EA would want to get that out of the door as soon as possible. Unless Microsoft handed over another bag of money to delay the 360 version then I think the delay is genuine.

I think you're right in as much as it's EA's call.

My guess is they want to sell more units through on Xbox One because it holds its price-point longer on a new console than it does on the last gen one. More players on Xbox One telling their friends to upgrade means more hardware for MS and extended software sales on a product less likely to drop in price than the 360 equivalent.

(all speculation, of course)

With all the money MS has put into this, and with EA being EA, I wouldn't put it past them sadly.

i don't think MS really cares about the 360 version selling. they want XB1's out the door and if people are presented an option of $60 and $560, MS loses out. isn't also within MS's ability to delay games by making the developer redo certification?

I love outlandish conspiracy theories ;)

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment
FYI everyone, these types of problems are exactly why we're running a beta - to expose problems at scale greater than what we can get ourselves or even with something like the closed Alpha. This wasn't a capacity issue (at our peak playercount we weren't close to hitting the ceiling), its a bug. The goal is to find all these things before people have dropped money on buying the game - launch day needs to be as smooth as possible :)

Oh, and for all the speculation going on about the 360 version. Its coming along really well, Bluepoint is full of phenomenally talented devs. We (being Respawn) have been pushing for them to have all the time they need to make it as good as possible, which means extra time for them to polish it up. We'd all like it to be day and date, but a better game a few weeks later is better than an unfinished one earlier.

Yuuichi

FYI everyone, these types of problems are exactly why we're running a beta - to expose problems at scale greater than what we can get ourselves or even with something like the closed Alpha. This wasn't a capacity issue (at our peak playercount we weren't close to hitting the ceiling), its a bug. The goal is to find all these things before people have dropped money on buying the game - launch day needs to be as smooth as possible :)

Oh, and for all the speculation going on about the 360 version. Its coming along really well, Bluepoint is full of phenomenally talented devs. We (being Respawn) have been pushing for them to have all the time they need to make it as good as possible, which means extra time for them to polish it up. We'd all like it to be day and date, but a better game a few weeks later is better than an unfinished one earlier.

While you're here, can you talk about the optimization some? My 560ti and 2500k @ 4.2ghz seem to be having more trouble than they should keeping a solid framerate on even the recommended settings, so any advice is appreciated.

Zornack

Even though I have beta I quoted you anyway just to make sure there weren't hidden keys.

You've broken me.

hawk2025

There's a ceiling?

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment
While you're here, can you talk about the optimization some? My 560ti and 2500k @ 4.2ghz seem to be having more trouble than they should keeping a solid framerate on even the recommended settings, so any advice is appreciated.

That should be a more than capable machine. What kind of issues are you seeing?

There's a ceiling?

Well, yeah. There isn't actually an unlimited number of servers in "da clowdz"

Part of the problem is "beta" has turned into "glorified demo" for the industry. To have you come in here and reaffirm that a beta is truly a beta is, well, refreshing.

Plus, I've The Last of Us: Left Behind to keep me occupied until the servers come back up. ;-)

Top Bottom