• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Prologue The Official Thread of Glorious Cockpit View

jet1911

chubigans said:
GAH THOSE SCREENS ARE HORRIBLE!

Stupid IGN RAWR!

This is insanely bad. :lol

Detail.jpg

White cars are so sexy. :eek:

LJ11 said:
GauntletFan always manages to find the worst shots to post. Others find the best. Yin and Yang I guess.

I'm glad i'm not the only one that notices that.

I mean seriously, somehow they've even made it where you can barely read the gauges.

Raist

Banned
the fuck at those IGN screens ?

Oh I get it, they don't have capture material. They just redraw what they see on the screen with MS paint.

those pics should be banned.

yaikes. i play on a crappy SD tv and prologue looks a lot better.

speaking of the game, i hope the next revealed video is from the sexy Ford GT LM:D

SamBishop

Banned
andrewfee said:
I don't think there's anything wrong with the software, it looks like they're capturing PC levels when the PS3 is set to video levels:

The problem is that, yes, they're capturing over a component connection, fed out at 1080p, captured at 1080i, resized to 720p, stills exported from video, de-interlaced due to the game running at 60fps and having interlacing issues like a mother fucker, and then optimized, likely all with only a step or two of manual input. I agree that for a lot of shots it can lead to a game that looks almost painfully off from what's seen on most TVs, but supposedly Rupert Murdoch's bottomless coffers will pay for a new 1080p capture rig... well, at some point. Not that it excuses some of the shots, but at least know there are multiple steps that go the images to that stage.

SamBishop

Banned
k79 said:
... i sure do prefer to look at the latter one :lol

As do I. Hell, I'd rather look at all the Polyphony-released shots of the game because it's ocular sex, but then again, at no point will the game ever look that good for a variety of reasons. It's basically a Photo Mode shot. A Photo Mode shot that requires me to find new pants...

Forsete

Here is what GT5 Prologue Demo looked like on my capturecard..

ZiOvPbFpp.jpg

ZJmxpWqXt.jpg

Yeah, IGN FTL as always. While not as per-pixel-perfect as the "official" screens, not anywhere close to as bad as IGN.

Lion Heart said:
Probably cause the analog sticks only go half way, they would need a new animation set for the wheel. Otherwise, when you hold the analogue stick to the left, the wheel would continue to turn and when you turn back the driver would have to rotate the wheel 360 degrees (potentially) to get it back to straight line. Thats my take on it

I really doubt amar212 uses a controller.;)

-viper-

Banned
Forsete said:

ZiOvPbFpp.jpg

ZJmxpWqXt.jpg

Yeah, IGN FTL as always. While not as per-pixel-perfect as the "official" screens, not anywhere close to as bad as IGN.
Jaw-dropping.

Durante

Forsete said:

Nice, it's actually cleaner than I'd expected. I really don't get how IGN managed to produce those shots. Capture at 640*480 and upscale? :lol

A suggestion for those that are getting GT5P, don't buy the Mustang. It sucks. I bought it just because I liked the sound of the engine, but the car is just horrible.

amar212

Dibbz said:
Good to hear, but didn't he just say he had to do the F40, 1 lap race, on arcade?

I had to do it in Standard Physics because I find it unbelievable to make it in Pro physics. You have only one lap, no compund change enabled, 15 cars in front of you and less then 2:30 to beat the GT-R.

Maye Trek450 could beat it on Pro, but I only managed to pull this once in last few days, and this is the replay of it. Key is to overtake TVR on the hairpin, or there is no way you'll do a clean pass of GT-R on the last chicane.

And penalties are also there, so they also make their part in overall challenge.

As for this:

Dibbz said:
It sucks to hear that some races cannot be completed on pro physics. Can someone answer to why that is? Why would PD put in races that are impossible? I've been playing the JP demo and I seriously wouldn't want to go back to the arcade physics.

Many races can be won on Pro physics, but some just can't - at least not for Gold (1st place). Especially Time-Trial chalenges in Events are like that, because they do not allow QTS at all and time-goals are unbeatable for tire-grip on Pro. The reason behind it is obvious - they would have to make different times-to-achieve goals for each physics mode and I guess it was too much for Prologue.

Standard physics (which you reffered as "Arcade", which is not) are "the must" even for many races in JP game - especially Dealership races and Time-Trials in Events - so no big things there.

Overall, with QTS you can go back to almost every race in C, B, A or S venue you finsihed on Std, and try to make it on Pro. Some are acheivable, some are not. But at the end - it diesn't matter so much, because it all comes back to online and racing human opponents.

k79

Banned
Forsete said:

*Awesome Pics*

Looks absolutely great :D Waaay better job than those IGN nubs.

Sin said:
So I got this little thing today...

Lucky Bastard!

RabG

Banned
andrewfee said:
So basically they don't know how to use their setup properly, rather than it being the software at fault.

They should capture 720p if that's what their setup is actually like seeing as 60fps games in 1080i are really only 540p.

How is 1080i REALLY 540p ?

RabG

bycha

Belarus, Eastern Europe here, got our copies yesterday and sellin them today :). Played a couple of hours last night. I like it a lot -- especially professional physics mode and traction etc. Finished C class yesterday it was pretty easy.

Technology is extraordinary, but i was kinda ready for that.

Will post more when i'll get to A class.

Right now it' saying could not connect to server, I guess servers will go live 27th.

Dibbz

Oh man those IGN shots suck ass. WTF are they doing? It looks like they scaled the images down, then resized them back up then saved them at the lowest possible jpg settings to get as many artifacts as possible. :/

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Oh yeah I forgot to ask this, but for online races, what is the number of laps the host set? Between what and what? I'm hoping we will be able to race up to 50 lap races. Long races with a bunch of people is FUN FUN FUN!!!!!

Goldrusher

isamu said:
Oh yeah I forgot to ask this, but for online races, what is the number of laps the host set? Between what and what? I'm hoping we will be able to race up to 50 lap races. Long races with a bunch of people is FUN FUN FUN!!!!!

There is no host. You can't set up your own race.

At the moment, there's only a bunch of Polyphony events to choose from.
In the Japanese game, this week:

London - 3 laps,Suzuki Cappuccino only
Daytona - 5 laps, S class cars only
Suzuka - 3 laps, B class cars only
Daytona Road - 3 laps, selection of cars allowed
Fuji GT - 3 laps, GT-R '07 only

antiloop

iceatcs said:
Seriously I don't think IGN trying to save the bandwidth.

The funny thing is that Forsete's Japanese demo captures are the same size as IGN:s retail EU captures. The old Japanese demo is said to be inferior to even the retail Japanese version graphically.

IGN did a good job. :lol

I wonder if IGN plays it in 1080p instead of 720p.

RabG

Banned
andrewfee said:
Interlaced works by sending 60 fields (half-frames) per second. So it sends all the odd lines, then the even ones, the odd ones again etc.

With content running at 30fps, the display can merge the 60 fields together to create 30 1920x1080 frames.

If the source is 60fps though, then each field has new information, so you can't merge them together to get a 1920x1080 image meaning you get 1920x540.

I know how it works BUT to your eyes its 1080 lines or there would be no point
in having 1080i would there!

RabG.

gtmax

PD should have a stricter policy as far as the gaming media posting pics of the game. I mean, those shots are completely disingenuous. The game never looks that bad. Now watch as fanboys of other systems will take these horrid shots and claim that this is what the game looks like 'in-game.'

I can't wait to drive that F40...

Forsete said:

Dude those are some nice shots. Can you take some of the in-car view and general 'behind the car' shots? I'd love to see them

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I accidentally clicked on the wrong thread, but I see IGN is at it with their shoddy captures again. They suck. :lol

PjotrStroganov said:
I really doubt amar212 uses a controller.;)

Well, my point is that if you want the wheel animation to go 1:1 with the game it would have to be a different animation than people using a controller. I dont think they would do that, at least not for a prologue.

Oh, IGN am biased? Lol

Top Bottom