• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If Mass Effect 4 were to bring back "uncharted worlds", how would you have them?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sz8TEvXxGzI

Probably the most hit-and-miss, take-or-leave component of the trilogy's design, yet also one of the most hotly debated: uncharted worlds. Those masses of land, usually resigned to side quests, that offer a little bit exploration, a little bit combat, and a lot of seeing/hearing/smelling mysterious landscapes. Also skyboxes.

You could even say that uncharted worlds are one of the most distinct components of the franchise, contributing significantly to its identity.

So if they were to return ('were" is probably not the right word, as they'll be there in some form), how would you have them?

A) Mass Effect 1 flavour: Sprawling landscapes, several kilometres worth of planetary terrain, explored via vehicle and foot. Open air, gorgeous skyboxes. Yet at the cost of detail and hand crafted content. Lots of "nothingness", asset repetition, and the risk of a lack of variety between planets. Discoverable by the player on the galaxy map, allowing for immediate vehicle drop-in, even if there's not much to "do" on the surface.

B) Mass Effect 2 flavour: Short, on-foot missions set in highly detailed and meticulously constructed locations across an assortment of planets, art and audio teams working wonders to make each location seem authentic and alive, if at the cost of real, playable scope. Largely discovered through quests.

C) Mass Effect 2: Overlord flavour: A hybrid of A and B; relatively small and neatly organised terrain space that is expansive enough to be explored by vehicle, designated drop off points leading to foot missions, the core explorable area moreso acting like a hub.

D) Mass Effect 3 flavour: Similar to Mass Effect 2, exploration stripped back further and discovery deeply integrated into the main quest arc. Act as more traditional "side quests" than freely discoverable/explorable "uncharted worlds". Limited to blue/green/red colour palette.

So what would you chose? Consider the logistics of development, manpower/money/time and such, as well as what can be done with engines these days. What is the perfect middle ground in retaining that authentic Mass Effect feel, doing something new, but also not going too overboard? Would you want vehicles to return, and if so, how would you have them? Or would you be happier with the ME2 approach: neatly organised side missions with density > expansiveness?

What do you want from Uncharted Worlds in Mass Effect 4?

Not cookie-cutter barren landscapes that people remember with rose-tinted glasses, for one. (ME1) If they can't really live up to the feel of exploring brand new worlds technically, they shouldn't bother. Ideally it'd be... well, planets.

Limited to blue/green/red colour palette.

Oh, you.

Lakitu

st5fu
I'd take Overlord's hand-crafted content design and side-story arc over anything else just without the horrible Hammerhead platforming and not being able to exit the vehicle.

Overlord-style. Give us fewer planets, but make 'em actually interesting to explore.

But for the love of God, make the Hammerhead sturdier. That thing handled bullets worse than a sheet of paper.

My favorite during the series to date was Type B.

I missed the scope of exploration from Mass Effect 1, but I enjoyed the side quests in Mass Effect 2 more.

Frostbite engine might allow them to make larger environments more quickly

You bring up a good point.

If the planetary exploration in ME4 could be like what we've seen of "exploration" in Dragon Age: Inquisition so far, I'd be down for that.

I'd take Overlord's hand-crafted content design and side-story arc over anything else just without the horrible Hammerhead platforming and not being able to exit the vehicle.

They'd have time to do like, only 4 or 5 story arcs with that amount of scope involved in a side mission.

I think ME2's approach is fine as long as there's more flow to them, rather than just all-combat segments.

Nemesis_

I honestly loved the Mass Effect 1 approach. I know it sounds ridiculous because of how little variety there is, but it is the most atmospheric one for me. I feel like if I were actually exploring a planet - this is how I'd be doing it - just walking around (or driving) and taking in the sights, not sure of what to expect.

Running into the monkeys on one of the planets was just such a weird thing to see - I didn't expect it. It was a real and genuine feeling of discovery. Similarly, when I first encountered a Thresher Maw on one of the planets I never knew what else to expect from them.

I just think it is reasonable to expect some planets in this world may exist without housing much to them. So Mass Effect 1's approach to this makes sense to me.

I have cognitive dissonance because I know that these approaches to exploration aren't really that conducive to particularly interesting gameplay mechanics - but they scratch such an itch / instil such a feeling of wanderlust in me that I have some irrational attachment to it.

It's honestly not rose tinted glasses for me either, I only replayed the game last year and still enjoyed rediscovering all these worlds.

Of course, on the flipside I actually enjoyed playing through planets like Noveria, Feros, Therum and especially Ilos. But the barren and isolated feel that the uncharted territories gave me were truly something else.

Rolf NB

I don't feel strongly about the latter three choices, but I never want to see Mass Effect 1-style off-brand planets again. Ever.

GrizzNKev

Banned
The way it was done in the first game was the best. I just loved fucking around trying to drive up impossible ledges and hitting sweet jumps in truly unknown worlds. It was the defining feature that gave Mass Effect its sense of scale.

Bring 'em back with the MAKO i say, eF the haters, the MAKO is awesome. ME4 should be about the MAKO, the story should revolve around it! GOTY!

First game, but with refinements. Sometimes just exploring a planet and seeing the skybox and terrain worth it. The Mako obviously could be improved upon, but everything else since ME1 was a downgrade in some capacity.

I just want Space Engine, if anything.

Nemesis_

In the last six or so minutes I have decided that I would be happy enough with Overlord-esque approach too, but I still have that attachment to Mass Effect 1 .______.

Bring 'em back with the MAKO i say, eF the haters, the MAKO is awesome. ME4 should be about the MAKO, the story should revolve around it! GOTY!

i2VAcpRu8tLin.gif

Oh hell no. Mass Effect is a good RPG. Bioware should stick with what they're good at instead of making a jack-of-all-trades, master of none. If you want an exploration game there are better titles for that (e.g. Minecraft, No Man's Sky and titles I may have never even heard of)

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I posted this in the ME appreciation thread but they should go for a 3 tiered procedural generation in regards to exploreable worlds. There is no reason today why they can't provide a large number of exploreable worlds with a variety of quality and structure given the tools available which should greatly reduce the time and effort needed to craft them. And it's silly to just offer one type of planet as well, variety is the spice of life.

Tier 1: High priority worlds with major story/missions on them, requiring a high degree of developer hands on crafting and alteration. These would be worlds with major settlements and layouts much like Overloard, Asteroid X57, etc.

Tier 2: Medium priority worlds that offer major side missions and require a moderate amount of hands on manipulation by developers to accommodate what mission(s) are there. These would settings akin to the N7 missions in ME2/3, though not locked to a single on foot location, but they would have one or two of those kinds of locations available.

Tier 3: Low priority worlds that may offer minor side missions and events but only require the minimal amount of developer alteration to ensure there are conflicts and that structures and locations are all operable. These would be the most like ME1 style planets with minimal structures and NPCs where exploration is the key feature with only a few missions or events. Mostly just abandoned or occupied mines/camps/bases by various enemy units. Relics and things of that nature.

There could be a few dozen Tier 3 planets, maybe a dozen or more Tier 2 planets and then 3-5 tier 1 planets.

A mix of 1 and 2. Drive the Mako until you find something of value to do.

That said, I don't think I could ever care about a Mass Effect 4, especially if made by Bioware.

Banned
Same land size as ME1, with the speed of the hammerhead in ME2 which would eventually lead to on foot combat inside an enemy base or cave.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I posted this in the ME appreciation thread but they should go for a 3 tiered procedural generation in regards to uncharted worlds. There is no reason today why they can't provide a large number of exploreable worlds with a variety of quality and structure given the tools available which should greatly reduce the time and effort needed to craft them. And it's silly to just offer one type of planet as well, variety is the spice of life.

Tier 1: High priority worlds with major story/missions on them, requiring a high degree of developer hands on crafting and alteration. These would be worlds with major settlements and layouts much like Overloard, Asteroid X57, etc.

Tier 2: Medium priority worlds that offer major side missions and require a moderate amount of hands on manipulation by developers to accommodate what mission(s) are there. These would settings akin to the N7 missions in ME2/3, though not locked to a single on foot location, but they would have one or two of those kinds of locations available.

Tier 3: Low priority worlds that may offer minor side missions and events but only require the minimal amount of developer alteration to ensure there are conflicts and that structures and locations are all operable. These would be the most like ME1 style planets with minimal structures and NPCs where exploration is the key feature with only a few missions or events. Mostly just abandoned or occupied mines/camps/bases by various enemy units. Relics and things of that nature.

There could be a few dozen Tier 3 planets, maybe a dozen or more Tier 2 planets and then 3-5 tier 1 planets.
This would be incredible.

Give us at least 15 full planets with real environments (I hate the single-biome planet trope) and something on them besides rocks, marauder bases, and sand worms

Mass effect one style was the best. Especially
Considering that this is next gen we're talking about. They should be able to fully realize the exploration part of that game which had so much untapped potential.

Kabouter

Overlord didn't feel like exploration to me, whereas ME1 did. I'd love to see them just bring back exploration from ME1, with some slight polishing here and there, although I obviously know it's never going to happen. I'm sure they'll bring back 'exploration', but it won't be anything like it was in ME1, it'll be more guided for sure.

mollipen

Far and away, I enjoyed the way the original Mass Effect did things. I loved the "boring-ness" of those worlds, if we want to say that. That's how worlds would work. Maybe there would be nothing. Maybe there would be an abandoned settlement or station. Maybe there would be something amazing and exciting. What I don't want is to feel like every planet has been planned and hand-crafted.

Really, I think the answer is clear for me: Minecraft. That game has some of the most fascinating and beautiful worlds at times in my eyes, yet it's all randomly generated. Do that for Masa Effect 4. Have a system to randomly generate the planets, even on a per-player level. You can set certain things - this planet should have an instillation somewhere, that planet should be really mountainous, this other planet needs to have awesome alien ruins.

Otherwise, I want to feel like I'm REALLY exploring an alien world - not a place pre-planned for my arrival. If I could have anything, that's what I want, because the excitement and sense of adventure I felt in the original ME never returned in its follow-ups.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
A mix of ME1 and ME2 would be pretty nice. Have some big explorable planets on vehicules and foot like ME1 with the attention to details that ME2/ME3 missions have.

ME1 planets were barren but it made it so much more exciting when you actually found something. Like that sphere hidden in the corner of one of the planets.

Quite frankly none.

All of the Mass Effect games have done this incredibly poorly.

The first Mass Effect had that terrible rover and on foot exploration that got incredibly boring and tedious.

The rest of the games were even worse with the horrible scanning and arduous map examination.

Personally, I would rather they had a "quality over quantity approach". Just give us a few planets to explore, but with real, robust, rewarding exploration. Quests, plenty of secrets to uncovers, etc.

As open as they were in ME1 for one, maybe with a bit less space. No linear hallways and restrict the amount of timed missions. Have the standard base assaults, but with no loading screens, so you're able to draw enemies out if you wish. More varied/better loot.

Zukuu

Banned
I actually want more handcrafted worlds / cities like Omega and the Sanctuary where you can explore in person and not via a vehicle. I don't really need scanning and free-world exploration. Give me exploration in your normal maps and I'm happy.

KKRT00

Mass Effect 1 like planets with some procedurally generated content. I liked Mako and exploring in 1st game, but there were too little content on planets.

Olli128

Randomly generated planets with a mix of 1 and 2 overlords exploration, some with explorable buildings, realistically the templates would be fairly limited though :(

Lakitu

st5fu
What's the planet you explored in the original Mass Effect during a blizzard? It was so atmospheric, love things like that. (Not Noveria)

Randdalf

Randomly generated worlds of considerable size and with interesting landmarks/AI. If you visit a colony world you should be able to see the colony in action, people walking about doing their jobs. Then based on the world that was generated a short plot or quest could be established.

Philippo

What if it's like Dragon Age Inquisition?
Seems like vastly large areas, but with a very detailed level (and hopefully event) design.
I mean now they're using Frostbite 3 and watch what they did with a cross-gen project.

KKRT00

What if it's like Dragon Age Inquisition?
Seems like vastly large areas, but with a very detailed level (and hopefully event) design.
I mean now they're using Frostbite 3 and watch what they did with a cross-gen project.

Thats actually pretty interesting point, but it would limit amount of planets to only few, which would suck quite a lot.

Grisby

Hhhmmm, something along the lines of ME2 but with some more openness. The planets in the orignal were so boring to 'explore'
Oh, totally this. The story could be about the Mako's origins and about its first trip outside.

Why even call it Mass Effect? Mako Effect had a better ring to it.

;) just poking some fun at your wording.

Labadal

A mix of both. Let us explore some planets ME1 style and some ME2 style.

Smaller side quests could be handled like ME2 while bigger quests could be be handled like ME1.

My preference would be maybe five really big planets that are explorable but also have big cities.

A mixture of exploration using a vehicle and on foot sections, space stations, underground bases and so forth. Like the first game but with more variety in objectives and art design and less copy and paste.

Had an idea for a side mission with gang hideout takeover on a crypt or tomb on a planet or moon, trying to use stealthy as a base for smuggling stuff, the tomb would be a Easter egg from past games with names of smaller characters core fans would recognise, a resting place for those lost during the battle with the reapers.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
What's the planet you explored in the original Mass Effect during a blizzard? It was so atmospheric, love things like that. (Not Noveria)

The only icy planet I can remember is this one(Klensal), but there wasn't much blizzard,
KPn29T9.jpg

I would prefer a mix of 1 and 2. Some of the planets in ME1 were stunning. I'd love to have that sense of wonder again. But, a little more structure for some of the planets wouldn't hurt. Something like Bring Down the Sky on a larger scale would be ideal.

Top Bottom