• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony ceases PSP shipments in Japan

Takao

Banned
lnAQgoN.jpg

June 2014 will be the last month PSP units are shipped to Japan. The platform launched on December 12, 2004.

s6HkFzem.jpg

Sony will offer discounts towards PS Vita products if you trade in your PSP. Additionally, the company will launch the PS Vita Super Value Pack in Japan.

Source: http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/000/861/861723/

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
RIP to the greatest handheld ever made. I'll miss you buddy. So many good times. So close to making it a full 10 years in Japan too.

Tohsaka

It's really unfortunate that it didn't do as well as it should've in the west, it has a ton of great games.

KalBalboa

Banned
RIP, you amazing handheld you.

I'll always remember buying my copy of Twisted Metal: Head On before the PSP hardware itself was even on sale.

mollipen

For the moment I got my PSP and first played Ridge Racer, I loved the system—and I always will. It's a system that spoke directly to my heart.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Wow its been 10 years. Not bad. it was a great system. I used it for 2 year, played too much GTA Vice City lol. Was so much fun, and one day some asshole stole. Didn't buy it again.

OuterLimits

Probably half of my gaming library consists of SRPGs. The PSP was a must buy for me because it had so many good games in that genre.

Ridley327

I wonder just how many PSP games are going to continue being released after the shipments stop lol

Between the otome games and the occasional cross-platform game like Toukiden G or whatever the hell it's called, it's got about a year left, at most.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
And almost entirely because of one region, too. If only Sony gave a shit about it outside of Japan.

I wish SCEA and SCEE could give that same level of shit for the Vita that they gave the PSP. So many great games for the PSP came from the West. They literally don't even exist anymore for the Vita, the only support for the system internally is coming from Japan and its pretty sporadic there.

Bought my PSP at launch. Like the only system I ever bought at launch that I had zero regrets for doing so with. Spent so much time goofing around in high school classes playing Wipeout and Lumines

kuYuri

Salute to one of the best handhelds ever, it was the first handheld I bought after having owned the original Game Boy for a short time.

Still rocking my 2000, still have not upgraded to a Vita.

Hip Hop

Why doesn't the PSP ever get the props it deserves? 70 million (more than that as nkted above) sold is insane.

Was it not a good investment for Sony or something?

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
So basically, I need to Amazon a PSP sooner rather than later. Y'know, for archiving. And playing all my games. I already have one but the screen is dust city. The one super major flaw with the PSP T_T. I bought 3 of those things. 1 stolen. The 2nd water damaged. The 3rd to replace them. Still has a pair of the best Handheld IP ever in LocoRoco and Patapon.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Shame that green one never came out besides a limited edition in the US. Would've been all over that.

Rest in Peace you beautiful bastard. If only your younger brother was half the man you were in software. :(

Top Bottom