• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Homefront: The Revolution (Crytek/DS, open world, co-op), XB1/PS4/PC, 2015, Trailer

Freedom Fighters + Far Cry 2 would be my dream game. If they can pull off maintaining a feeling of vulnerability in a reactive and deadly world, this will be amazing.

Mars477

Banned
The premise is enough to turn me off from the game from the beginning. The DPRK is an outright failed state that survives only on Chinese and Western food aid. They're not going to get out of that situation any time soon, let alone somehow launch an invasion of America that doesn't get immediately crushed. Especially if the rest of the world is in some kind of economic crisis, since it's America and China with their fingers on the global financial system. Where is the DPRK going to get the money to grow? And that's ignoring that the only military in the world that has the logistics and force projection needed to invade the US is the US military.

The problem is that this is basically a right wing fantasy. Whereas we're currently fighting a war that is morally very grey on both sides, where we are the aggressors, using technologically superior forces equipped with advanced weaponry, vehicles, and unmanned aerial vehicles to control and police a technologically inferior but resourceful insurgency, this flips the scenario. Here, we get to be the technologically inferior but highly resourceful insurgency fighting against a far more advanced enemy whose weapons and equipment make them basically the US Armed Forces. Only this time, we get to be an insurgency that is unequivocally in the right, because the more advanced oppressors are ruthless assholes.

Also, considering that US partisans retook the western states in the first game, the KPA are fucked, being cut off from their main routes of resupply

scitek

The premise is enough to turn me off from the game from the beginning. The DPRK is an outright failed state that survives only on Chinese and Western food aid. They're not going to get out of that situation any time soon, let alone somehow launch an invasion of America that doesn't get immediately crushed. Especially if the rest of the world is in some kind of economic crisis, since it's America and China with their fingers on the global financial system. Where is the DPRK going to get the money to grow? And that's ignoring that the only military in the world that has the logistics and force projection needed to invade the US is the US military.

The problem is that this is basically a right wing fantasy. Whereas we're currently fighting a war that is morally very grey on both sides, where we are the aggressors, using technologically superior forces equipped with advanced weaponry, vehicles, and unmanned aerial vehicles to control and police a technologically inferior but resourceful insurgency, this flips the scenario. Here, we get to be the technologically inferior but highly resourceful insurgency fighting against a far more advanced enemy whose weapons and equipment make them basically the US Armed Forces. Only this time, we get to be an insurgency that is unequivocally in the right, because the more advanced oppressors are ruthless assholes.

Also, considering that US partisans retook the western states in the first game, the KPA are fucked, being cut off from their main routes of resupply

You can thank executive interference for that.

Gamesutra said:
However, there was one decision he made that really put pressure on the team -- making North Korea the occupying force of Homefront, despite how unlikely a significant U.S. invasion by such a small nation would be.

The rest of the Kaos team had originally envisioned the invaders as Chinese, but THQ feared that such a portrayal would hurt its prospects for business in China. Hence, the North Korea idea stuck, leading to a "demoralizing" atmosphere amongst the employees.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/173704/How_Homefronts_development_was_Bils0wned_by_THQs_EVP.php

Raptor

Who I can email so they put some hit markers in this game?

I really love everything about this, real time weapon customization crysis style with hand animations for everything, exploration with some great atmosphere, lovely stuff.

But when he started to shot there was no hit markers to be seen, thats a deal breaker man, how can I supose to know whan I hit something?

Devs if you are reading this please for the love of all that is good put some hit markers.

Who I can email so they put some hit markers in this game?

I really love everything about this, real time weapon customization crysis style with hand animations for everything, exploration with some great atmosphere, lovely stuff.

But when he started to shot there was no hit markers to be seen, thats a deal breaker man, how can I supose to know whan I hit something?

Devs if you are reading this please for the love of all that is good put some hit markers.

YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS. Hitmarkers are used to dumb a game down and make the gun design lazy.

You could, in a well designed FPS, beable to tell you shot someone due to the kinect energy being visible on the target's body (blood, kickback, sound, etc...). Hit markers are for lazy COD MP (blind shooting), pavlovian players, or for devs that are too lazy to spend time crating actual weapon target feedback.

Do you need hitmarkers in doom? No, the monsters splatter and bleed when you shoot em.

Raptor

YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS. Hitmarkers are used to dumb a game down and make the gun design lazy.

You could, in a well designed FPS, beable to tell you shot someone due to the kinect energy being visible on the target's body (blood, kickback, sound, etc...). Hit markers are for lazy COD MP (blind shooting), pavlovian players, or for devs that are too lazy to spend time crating actual weapon target feedback.

Do you need hitmarkers in doom? No, the monsters splatter and bleed when you shoot em.

I agree with you but from what I saw there is nothing of what you describe, there is no blood, gore, body flying backwards, sounds, nothing, I couldn't tell if he was dealing damage at all in the video up there.

If the game has a killer sound design and great mixing with great guns sounds then I could forgive no hit markers, but as its right now doesn't look good, but I will have to see more maybe Im judging way too early with little footage.

Razyl

Just junior member and don't know where to post but i thinks its quite interessting.

Gamestar, a german videogamesmagazine, published today a story named "Die Geier kreisen über Crytek" ("The vultures are circling over Crytek") => http://www.gamestar.de/specials/reports/3057060/crytek_krise.html

Short info about it:
  • Crytek got financial problems
  • there are working over 800 employees
  • Microsoft and Crytek talked about Ryse 2, but yet it is not in development, because microsoft wants the trademark and crytek don't want to give it up
  • Reasons for the problems: Free-2-Play & Cryengine not work as well as expected, crysis 3 and ryse aren't big sellers etc.
  • they got saved for now but maybe not forever

The article is only for the gamestar subscription service. I think if homefront, hunt and the moba will fail, then its maybe game over for Crytek.

(sorry for my english, it's not my native language^^)

Just junior member and don't know where to post but i thinks its quite interessting.

Gamestar, a german videogamesmagazine, published today a story named "Die Geier kreisen über Crytek" ("The vultures are circling over Crytek") => http://www.gamestar.de/specials/reports/3057060/crytek_krise.html

Short info about it:
  • Microsoft and Crytek talked about Ryse 2, but yet it is not in development, because microsoft wants the trademark and crytek don't want to give it up
  • Reasons for the problems: Free-2-Play & Cryengine not work as well as expected, crysis 3 and ryse aren't big sellers etc.

The article is only for the gamestar subscription service. I think if homefront, hunt and the moba will fail, then its maybe game over for Crytek.

That's very interesting, someone with access to the full article should open a new thread.

Sojgat

Short info about it:

Hmmm, I guess F2P might not have been the future after all.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Short info about it:

Weird, I always thought they had a ton of cash from their military contracts.

Top Bottom